• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going Army: A little help please.

sb_pete

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
Alright, so I am joining the Army. I was originally thinking of going OCS, but as the pipeline is long, they no longer offer the CLRP (College Loan Repayment Program), and my GPA sucked, that looks to be out. In any case, I kind of like not having to play the MOS lottery anymore.

Maybe it's a cliche, but I kind of want to go jump out of helicopters and be all high speed and such, so infantry is for me. That leaves me looking at <span style="font-weight: bold">11X, option 40, or 18X</span>.

I have a lot of questions, so any answers to any of them are very much appreciated. I don't expect anyone to know all the answers to all these questions, but if you can help with even one of them, thank you in advance.

I am 29, and I have a BA in Political Science. I speak fluent French. I also have dual citizenship (Sweden) which I would prefer not to give up because an EU passport is a very useful thing to have once I am eventually back in the civilian world. That said, I was born a US citizen, and I also have a TS security clearance from when I did an internship with the State Dept (6 years ago).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Option 40</span>
My recruiter says there are no Option 40 contracts at the moment so I am SOL on that. Anyone think he's wrong?

<span style="font-weight: bold">18X</span>
I know a little about the 18X program, but I didn't even ask for it, he says they have a mission order or something to find 18X candidates and he thought it might fit me, so he brought it up. Being a fit, healthy, 29 year-old foreign language-speaking college-grad, I suppose this makes sense. I don't even know where to begin on what to ask for in my contract though if I were to go this route. Does anyone know?

1. How many years? I hear both 5 and 6. What part of training is not counted towards those years?
2. What kind of signing bonus? About.com shows a $16k bonus with a 5 year enlistment, or $20k with a 6 year enlist. Who knows how old that info is, but does anyone know if that's right?
3. Could I still get the CLRP if I went this way? If yes, how would that affect my signing bonus?
4. What about my dual citizenship? Is this a problem? Would I need to renounce my Swedish citizenship? If yes, is this still true, even though I already have a TS clearance through State?

My thought here is kind of why not. Even if I don't make it, I end up 11B and probably with jump school. It is always something I thought of as a bit of a dream job. That said, I am concerned that if I do make it and decide I want to go the OCS route down the road, I am kind of shutting myself out of that option. Do people go 18X then OCS later? Is that even really an option?

<span style="font-weight: bold">11X</span>
He is offering me a 3 year contract with Loan repayment (CLRP) and a $2000 signing bonus. This seems like a good flexible option as I had previously thought I needed a 6 year commitment for CLRP. My feeling is that doing this would put me in a good position to go OCS, SFAS, or underwater BB stacking school, or whatever once I'm in and it comes time to re-up in one to two years (my understanding is re-ups become avail 2 years before your contract is up). Or I could decide the life is not for me and walk away with my loans paid off (and of course hopefully no injuries or missing limbs, but that conversation is for another time and place).
Questions:
1. Am I correct in thinking that I could use the short contract to leverage my way into re-upping OCS or some other or more specific MOS once I'm in and have a better feel for the Army in general?
2. The $2000 bonus seems low based on what I am reading elsewhere. Any thoughts? Is this because of the CLRP?

OTHER CONCERNS:
<span style="font-weight: bold">CLRP</span>:
1. I have both Perkins and DIRECT Loans. I see Perkins on the list, but I don't see DIRECT loans. They are federal loans though so they should count, right? Does anyone know if DIRECT Loans are covered in the CLRP?
2. I also have some Wells Fargo Private loans. I imagine these would not be eligible, correct?
3. If I were to consolidate all my loans under a DIRECT Loans consolidated loan, would the money from the old Wells Fargo loans be covered?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Laser Eye Surgery</span>:
I wear contact lenses. I have astigmatism. It is correctable, but I understand I can get Uncle Sugar to give me some laser love and fix my eyes. I am told that this is not something I can get a guarantee on in my contract. Is this true? Should I be trying to get lasik in my contract?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Storage for personal effects</span>:
I am 29, I have stuff. Like a 20' Conex shipping container's worth of stuff. My recruiter says there is nothing I can get in my contract in regards to storage of personal stuff. Is this true, or is there possibly something out there that I can use to have my stuff stored while I am off in training?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's a good start.
Thanks in advance everyone,
-Pete

Re: Going Army: A little help please.

Ah life was simplier when I went in, you had two choices, Enlist or get Drafted.

Wow totally agree, I joined a different army granted, but the only choice we had was either to swear on a bible or for the non religious, take a pledge. I think they went a little radicle some stage and even dropped the queen, leaving just taking an oath to the country...

Ow and not trying to flame, but best not to mention clearance level, type etc etc on an open forum, even if it has most likely expired after 6 years of nonuse.

It sounds like you are going into this with your head in the right place, you need to figure this stuff out now.

All said, the 11X option would be my recommendation. If you can go into this and get out of debt, that will be a huge benifit down the road. As a grunt, you can still take the SF path down the road, or the OCS, or a couple other high speed, low drag options. You can, in fact, use an earlier re-up timeframe to barter schools, posts, etc. The $2000 bonus sounds low because it is pared with paying off loans, together, that could amount to a lot of cash.

Ask these questions of your recruiter, he will be able to get you specific answers (private loans, etc). Make sure you get everything you are promised actually in writing in your contract. I would imagine that you are a desirable candidate with your skills and education.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. If you start with and keep a good attitude, you will find it to be a great experience.

surprised you would get a clearance, usually having a foreign passport is a disqualification... I'm pretty sure you can't get a guarantee for eye surgery on your contract, but I was marine corps infantry and that got me bumped to the front of the line for all military at my duty station trying to get laser eye surgery(POGs and spouses eligible for it) I think it took about 3 months from my application to my actual surgery date, very short amount of time with some of the waiting lists and all the exams prior to your surgery.

Well worth it, went from terrible vision (glasses all the time) to 20/15 in both eyes. So while you won't get the guarantee, a Infantry/combat MOS should get you pushed through pretty quick.

As for what MOS to choose I would say 11, get out of debt and then go SF. My job has me traveling to different Army posts all the time (6 bases in the last 5 months) and I see SF recruitment signs posted everywhere. Don't think you would have much trouble getting a shot once you get to your unit. You can always reenlist/extend to stay in longer if you like it, take the shorter enlistment, leave yourself some options.

gugubica and kenhil2 gave sound advice. Having served 30 years in the Army with a great deal of the time as a Recruiter and Career Counselor here's a few extra thoughts. Enlisting is a leap of faith! Believe it or not most Recruiters are honest people and the one's that aren't should be pretty apparent to a 29 year old with a degree in Poly Sci. You will find that once you enlist and get involved in the training and first assignment you're either gonna say to yourself that this is what you always wanted to do - or that you're the dumbest SOB ever born for enlisting. One way or the other you will have done something that most people these days can never claim to have accomplished. Also, any type of medical is a benefit - benefits are not guaranteed, they are gained by the virtue of your service. It would be logical to assume that they would want to correct the vision of an Infantryman. My advice is enlist and don't look back. After your Infantry Training and a bit of time at your first assignment then you can reassess and see if you want to continue on or say hey I did my time and I'm going to take the separation benefits (GI Bill, etc.) and run. Either way you will never have to ask yourself what could have been if I would have tried it. Good luck!

First off, good on you!

Your education and language skills make you a good fit for 18X - assuming you have maturity with your age and you're in good physical and mental shape. Outside of the Ranger Rgt, SOF is generally not something you just do for a few years and then get out (though that's exactly the path I chose in the 90s). Most soldiers arrive at selection already with a number of years of service behind them along with tactical and technical proficiency. You would have this going against you, however this newer evolution of the 18X program has apparently produced some good long tabbers - so it's not impossible.

Normally I'd say get a Ranger contract and spend some time in the Regt - but at your age and with your background you'd probably get ribbed pretty hard. I know, stupid, but that's how they roll.

Whatever you choose, make sure you get Airborne School in your contract. If you go the 18X route, there is much you can do to prepare and trust me, five or six years will go pretty quickly. Best of all, you'd stand a good chance of getting assigned to 1/10SF which is probably one of the best assignments you can get in the Army.

sb_pete

1) The 2 grand bonus sounds about right, the army is not hurting for soldiers right now.So the incentives will not be as high as they were say... 3 years ago.

2) Having a dual citizenship will have little affect on getting your EPSQ donr for your clearence, should you decide to go down the SF route. Many Infantry battalions require at least a secret clearance nowadays do to FBCB2 or BF Tracker. Also being in Stryker brigades.

3)I am not to sure about getting PRK in your contract for your eyes. I do know that once you get to your unit you can put paper work in for the procedure. But not if your unit as important training or a delpoyment in the near future.

As for which path to follow in your career. Depending on how motivated you are personally is what it all comes down to, you may want to start as a 11B for a few years to see if the army is for you. Become ranger qualified through your unit. If you love your job then progress to the next level an go to SFAS.
Your head is in the right direction. Thanks for looking to serve.

Ask for Contract to Fort Campbell, home to Air Assault. You will have all the oppurtunity you can shake a stick at and the only thing holding you back would be YOU...and maybe deployments.
First you get the 11 series junk out of the way, then you see if you can go 18 series with the local Ft Cammpbell 5th Group recruiting team. 29 is not too old to be a bad ass if you haven't yet worn your knees and back out doing other dumb chit

there will be no need for the french language thing..

I have an old buddy that went in as 18X and became 18D. If your are hard core I would go this route right away. My older brother tried to go the 18X route and was injured in airborne school. He was release from his contract immediately and spent six months doing CQ duty, while he recovered from his injury. It's like all of the football players that leave college early to go to the NFL; they do not want to risk getting hurt before they get there. You have the benefit of skipping stuff that can get you hurt. Also, 18 series go to the front of the line for lasik.

Good luck,

Jamie

Just a thought here but if your first feeling was OCS, you may want to push for it. Your recruiter will tell you to enlist because thats were they need seats filled (obviously, a recruiter doesnt give a shit about you, dont fool yourself). You're a 29 year old working professional with a degree, what your gpa was and how many 40's you drank on weeknights at school doesn't matter now. The bonuses may not be there for OCS, but BAH, and base pay will out weigh that in the long run. Most tend to piss their bonuses away anyways(although you probably won't at your place in life). Not to mention enlisted life may suck a phat one if you have a lenient career and perhaps are the boss of others at the moment.

OCS may not guarantee your MOS, but odds are good if you put Infantry as numero uno, you will get it. Most guys nowadays want to leach on a tit and not put themselves in harms way so its tough to turn a guy down who volunteers for it.

Go to your recruiter tell him theres no way you will enlist in your situation and unless you get OCS you will walk away. You'll be surprised how quick your packet, along with your ass, is sitting infront of a selection board.

I just want to clarify I'm not bashing Enlisted, they are the backbone of the military and... well backbone may not be the right term, BRAINS may be more accurate, since we all know young lietenant's can be down right dangerous with their welth of worthless knowledge. Anyhow, he brought up money a few times, and the fact is Officer life makes more.

well my $.02

if you want a life in special operations... enlisted

if you want a life in the "big army" ...... officer

if you go SF or Ranger Bat as an officer you time there (not behind a desk) will be very short lived and starting @ 29 your already a few years behind the others that will be in your year group

We call the 18A's summer help for a reason...they are on an ODA for 2 years maximum...usually 14-18 months

So think not much longer than getting qualified than actually being on a team ...notice I didnt say leading a team.... that is the team sgt's job...i dont know how many captains i've seen broken in by a MSG

so take note if was an Officer I would go SF but your operational time is going to be short...but you'll advance quicker than conventional guys ... considering who you'll be dealing with you should

but if your enlisted (if you make it past selection and the Q) you'll be on a team as long as you can take it...then great things open up.

but being enlisted in the regular army sucks donkey balls IMO... far to concerned with the dress code than anything else

I was never in regiment so i will not speak to it

but they are a feeder for group and CAG ... and my only regret was not being in regiment.... start at the top

another thing to think about... many high end conventional commanders HATE I mean FUCKING HATE SF

i dont how many times I've gotten into it with a conventional 1SG, SGM, CPT, or LT over some dumb inconsequential bullshit...and it hits me...it's because of the long tab

i know the resentment is higher up to...the big army really hates us for what we did in AF in 2001-2002

so as with all things it is a compromise...but shoot high as possible...you'll never regret it

but more importantly...you should have been gone yesterday..time is your enemy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klrb929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well my $.02

<span style="font-weight: bold">if you want a life in special operations... enlisted

if you want a life in the "big army" ...... officer</span>
if you go SF or Ranger Bat as an officer you time there (not behind a desk) will be very short lived and starting @ 29 your already a few years behind the others that will be in your year group

We call the 18A's summer help for a reason...they are on an ODA for 2 years maximum...usually 14-18 months

<span style="font-weight: bold">So think not much longer than getting qualified than actually being on a team ...notice I didnt say leading a team.... that is the team sgt's job...i dont know how many captains i've seen broken in by a MSG</span>
so take note if was an Officer I would go SF but your operational time is going to be short...but you'll advance quicker than conventional guys ... considering who you'll be dealing with you should

but if your enlisted (if you make it past selection and the Q) you'll be on a team as long as you can take it...then great things open up.

but being enlisted in the regular army sucks donkey balls IMO... far to concerned with the dress code than anything else

I was never in regiment so i will not speak to it

but they are a feeder for group and CAG ... and my only regret was not being in regiment.... start at the top

another thing to think about... many high end conventional commanders HATE I mean FUCKING HATE SF

i dont how many times I've gotten into it with a conventional 1SG, SGM, CPT, or LT over some dumb inconsequential bullshit...and it hits me...it's because of the long tab

i know the resentment is higher up to...the big army really hates us for what we did in AF in 2001-2002

so as with all things it is a compromise...but shoot high as possible...you'll never regret it

but more importantly...you should have been gone yesterday..time is your enemy

</div></div>

Some real truth to this post. Big difference between SOF units and Big Army, and short-term versus career commitment.

When I went in for my Draft Induction, I had no idea I was going to get shipped to Parris Island...

Different time, different world...

Greg

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
I ended up going for an 18X 5 year contract. I head to MEPS (1st trip) this Thursday to find out for real.

If all goes well, I'll be heading off to OSUT in Mid September, so its PT PT PT time for me.

Thanks again guys.

I got the eye surgery it's PRK, which has a longer healing time, but results are the same, if not better. They will do mainly PRK, because it is airborne compatible. Lasik creates a flap in your eye that can come open under pressure, jumping, and in your case HALO. It was done at Walter Reid by a Full-Bird, and it has been the best experience. It was all paid for by TDY and DTS and you stay in a decent hotel right outside of Fort Meade. I have absolutely no regrets and couldn't have paid to find a better Dr. Being combat arms, you will have first dibs on the surgery, and the wait was only a month for me. Don't know about getting it in your contract, but get the paperwork and keep up with optometry and it's pretty easy to get done, especially if your eyes are bad. DO IT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ended up going for an 18X</div></div>

grin.gif
<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="font-weight: bold">AIRBORNE</span></span>

If I were you, I'd seriously consider not going to MEPS and getting on the officer track. I have no regrets about being enlisted, but there's plenty of opportunities in the Army for good officers with their head on straight.

Good on you. PT your ass off and start getting used to carrying a 35lb ruck for a few hours at a time. BUT DO NOT INJURE YOURSELF!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sb_pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help.
I ended up going for an 18X 5 year contract. I head to MEPS (1st trip) this Thursday to find out for real.

If all goes well, I'll be heading off to OSUT in Mid September, so its PT PT PT time for me.

Thanks again guys.
</div></div>

Haha, good for you! You've got a lot of suck ahead of you, but it's going to be a great experience. I'd snag a Ranger handbook as soon as is reasonable and start teaching yourself the basics of patrolling and small unit tactics. You'll need it whether you end up in the infantry or in the Q course. Good luck, and enjoy Benning...