• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going MC: Cadex Kraken or AI AXSR?

Which multi-caliber: AI or Cadex?

• AI AXSR

Votes: 93 63.7%
  • Some other MC AI

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Cadex Kraken

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • You're doing it wrong

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
I also have been debating going to a multi-cal rifle and getting away from the custom for a bit. I tend to shoot improved cartridges w a fast twist barrel so that leaves the Cadex Kraken out of the equation.

Reactions: JB.IC
The other option is DTA. There are guys making barrels for them but I think they take a barrel extension so that does drive the price up a some. My friends DTA shoots awesome. I just don't care for the bullpup design. Then you get into the Remington, FN Ballista Tubbs or even the Steyr but not to sure on what getting barrels for any of those or if even available from aftermarket sources.

The other option is DTA. There are guys making barrels for them but I think they take a barrel extension so that does drive the price up a some. My friends DTA shoots awesome. I just don't care for the bullpup design.
Last I remember hearing is that the extension can be reused. The Barrett MRAD should be story as well with their extension.

I guess that solves the mystery of no aftermarket support. While I wish that wasn't the case, I can understand from a manufacturer's point of view the liability involved with allowing others to copy or make profits for your system - especially on a multi cal designed system that is used to pursue military contracts. That is definitely going to hold the Kraken at a disadvantage in the commercial market.

I think that's a BS move for the company to make.

Customers are looking for more options, not less. But that decision will only hurt Cadex.

As a Canadian, I really don't understand a lot of Canadian firearm companies attitudes.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9 and BCX
If it was me, I would be building a rifle off a Terminus action.

Out of the options listed, AI.

Will probably just order a AI AXSR, send a few blanks off for a 300 NM and another 338 LM AI. Add a Cadex MX-1 brake and call it a day.

That's actually a great idea, I have a Cadex MX1 brake for one of my AI barrels, as they are more effective than the AI versions.

Reactions: Long Range 338
I get less ground debris w the Cadex MX-1 than i do with the Terminator brakes.

My question is..... Elite Sand vs Dark Earth?

Im not sure how well that will look on the hood of my Ruby Red Raptor in the AI picture thread :ROFLMAO:

Well this tread just pushed me toward AI. I don’t want to spend that kind of money for a multi Caliber rig but now I don’t see how CADEX is a sustainable option in the long run

I don’t think Cadex has sustainability issues, they just don’t seem to care to cater to the commercial market with the Kraken. I’m assuming they are targeting military customers with it and the rest of us can take it or leave it on their terms…. It’s really too bad as they turn out great products.

I don’t think Cadex has sustainability issues, they just don’t seem to care to cater to the commercial market with the Kraken. I’m assuming they are targeting military customers with it and the rest of us can take it or leave it on their terms…. It’s really too bad as they turn out great products.

That philosophy really hurt PGW.

As a business, it's never a good practice to piss off current and prospective customers.

Reactions: Long Range 338
I do get that. Do you know if they custom turn barrels ? Say I decide I want a 6GT. Is that something they can spit out in a month or I am just at the mercy of their prioritizing?

• Haha
Reactions: W54/XM-388
I don't believe they do custom chambers or barrels.

Reactions: Jefe~
I do get that. Do you know if they custom turn barrels ? Say I decide I want a 6GT. Is that something they can spit out in a month or I am just at the mercy of their prioritizing?

It doesn't appear so from their website or catalog. They do offer 6BR and 6 Dasher in their competition rifle so there could be a possibility they would allow that to be ordered.... I've no idea what their typical lead times are for replacement barrels either. I may get curious enough to actually reach out and ask a real person.

I was going to get the ASR or the Kraken but when it came down to it what calibers I could get it set up for was also a factor and it seemed to me that there was only 1 way to get from .223rem to .338LM: Desert Tech. It's not without its downsides like proprietary magazine but I was able to get .223rem, .308win, 6XC, .338wm and .338LM all in one rifle. The slight savings in cost by going the DT route was not really a factor. I just put the savings into some accessories like CNVD and a sparkly new Steiner scope.

It doesn't appear so from their website or catalog. They do offer 6BR and 6 Dasher in their competition rifle so there could be a possibility they would allow that to be ordered.... I've no idea what their typical lead times are for replacement barrels either. I may get curious enough to actually reach out and ask a real person.
I just floated the question out to the FB Group if I don't get anything I may call them tomorrow

I was going to get the ASR or the Kraken but when it came down to it what calibers I could get it set up for was also a factor and it seemed to me that there was only 1 way to get from .223rem to .338LM: Desert Tech. It's not without its downsides like proprietary magazine but I was able to get .223rem, .308win, 6XC, .338wm and .338LM all in one rifle. The slight savings in cost by going the DT route was not really a factor. I just put the savings into some accessories like CNVD and a sparkly new Steiner scope.
It isn't that I have an immediate need for a 6 anything but if I go the multi route I want to make sure it really is a multi caliber platform and not a here are your choices platform. I haven't looked at DT in a long while, I probably should go back to do some homework.

Reactions: spamassassin
It isn't that I have an immediate need for a 6 anything but if I go the multi route I want to make sure it really is a multi caliber platform and not a here are your choices platform. I haven't looked at DT in a long while, I probably should go back to do some homework.
I really really wanted either the AI or the Cadex because they're amazing & sexy rifles... that and I have a kind of a thing for AI's. However, I also really need .223 since more than half of my rounds downrange every year are .223's either competing or hunting or practicing. The major purpose behind getting this rifle was so that I could sell off the bulk of my other rifles and a smaller physical security situation to deal with. I don't want to have 6 precision rifles each with hugely expensive optics on them. I want 1 precision rifle and 1 optic and to have a workable situation with actually interchangeable barrels. Only the DT gave me anything from 223rem to 338lm as viable options. I've dogged on DT's for a few years because bullpups kinda deserve a little bit of askance viewing, the hideously highy price point they inhabit and for the kind of odd wrist angle during bolt manipulation. So far I've got zero complaints other than every time I see a barrel for sale that I don't have I find my wallet getting very antsy about staying in my pocket.

Some DT bugaboos: The hard case comes without foam (at least when purchased with the soft cae) and the soft case for the SRS: doesn't support some of the available accessories like 10rd .308 mags or 8rd 338LM mags, mag pockets are excessively tight with the 5rd mags, there's no MOLLE loops inside it. The operators kit (maintenance kit) has elastic loops that are either too tight or too loose to properly secure included components and it doesn't fit well inside the soft rifle case. DT factory brakes also kind of blow. Still very very happy with the DT.

I really really wanted either the AI or the Cadex because they're amazing & sexy rifles... that and I have a kind of a thing for AI's. However, I also really need .223 since more than half of my rounds downrange every year are .223's either competing or hunting or practicing. The major purpose behind getting this rifle was so that I could sell off the bulk of my other rifles and a smaller physical security situation to deal with. I don't want to have 6 precision rifles each with hugely expensive optics on them. I want 1 precision rifle and 1 optic and to have a workable situation with actually interchangeable barrels. Only the DT gave me anything from 223rem to 338lm as viable options. I've dogged on DT's for a few years because bullpups kinda deserve a little bit of askance viewing, the hideously highy price point they inhabit and for the kind of odd wrist angle during bolt manipulation. So far I've got zero complaints other than every time I see a barrel for sale that I don't have I find my wallet getting very antsy about staying in my pocket.

Some DT bugaboos: The hard case comes without foam (at least when purchased with the soft cae) and the soft case for the SRS: doesn't support some of the available accessories like 10rd .308 mags or 8rd 338LM mags, mag pockets are excessively tight with the 5rd mags, there's no MOLLE loops inside it. The operators kit (maintenance kit) has elastic loops that are either too tight or too loose to properly secure included components and it doesn't fit well inside the soft rifle case. DT factory brakes also kind of blow. Still very very happy with the DT.
Thank you for all the added info. I am in a similar boat... I want to part with some of my existing toys and consolidate. I am waiting for my ZCO now and trying to figure out what I want as a 300PRC platform. That is how it started anyway... Now I am just trying to figure out if I can do a single Multi Cal setup knowing that I don't need to do anything other than acquire new conversions when I want to do something different. A true single platform would be wonderful.