• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going to Get a JP AR-10. What Caliber?

Nemesis Lead

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2014
Alamo, CA
I am going to Get a JP Rifles AR-10. Help me decided between 2 calibers--6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remington. Please list the pros and cons of each in an AR-10 platform.

Note--this is purely a fun gun. Not used for defense or competition. I also don't reload for either caliber.

Many thanks!

6.5 Creedmoor.
Even if you do reload, I think its a better cartridge for large frame AR's. At least you can find brass for it, I haven't seen .260 brass in a looooong time.

6.5 Creedmoor:
Pros: Shorter OAL so seating depth is less of an issue when fed from magazines, cheaper factory ammo, hornady brass is available.
Cons: Only Hornady makes the brass

.260 Remington:
Pros: Easy to make brass from .243 or 7mm-08. Usually a better choice for the reloader. Maybe a hair faster IIRC???
Cons: Cannot currently find .243, .260, or 7mm-08 brass without buying the expensive stuff. Longer OAL means less wiggle room for seating depth in a magazine. Factory ammo is expensive and not as common.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and am considering switching to 260. I dislike the results I get from Hornady brass. 2-4 firings at best. Primer pockets just don't hold. Lapua brass will go 10+ firings before I see problems. Both cartridges scream for a hand load, however if that was my only option to buy shelf ammo then the 6.5creed would be the best option. I am considering switching due to reloading reasons.

Have to ask, since you don't reload, why bother with all the hassle and expense of picking these calibers? What about beginning to reload? It's a lot of fun and you can make great ammo.

Ahhhhhh.... If you DONT reload then get 308. To shoot anything else will kill your pocket book. Also availability of factory ammo. Keep all of your brass just in case you start to reload.

IF you reload, then get 6creed, 6.5, or 260... Still wouldnt discount 308 if reloading.

I think a good question here is, whats your absolute max yardage youll be shooting in your area? If under 500 or less, then just get 308. Good caliber to start out with and everyone should own a 308 ar

I am going to Get a JP Rifles AR-10. Help me decided between 2 calibers--6.5 Creedmore or .260 Remington. Please list the pros and cons of each in an AR-10 platform.

Note--this is purely a fun gun. Not used for defense or competition. I also don't reload for either caliber.

Many thanks!

Thanks all. I will be shooting past 1000 yards with the rifle and already own a couple .308 rifles. Decisions, decisions!

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor and am considering switching to 260. I dislike the results I get from Hornady brass. 2-4 firings at best. Primer pockets just don't hold. Lapua brass will go 10+ firings before I see problems. Both cartridges scream for a hand load, however if that was my only option to buy shelf ammo then the 6.5creed would be the best option. I am considering switching due to reloading reasons.

Is that 10+ firings in a gas gun? With a semi-auto and a high performance caliber, most brass only gets a few firings. I'd rather burn up Hornady brass than the much more expensive Lapua in a gas gun.

Is that 10+ firings in a gas gun? With a semi-auto and a high performance caliber, most brass only gets a few firings. I'd rather burn up Hornady brass than the much more expensive Lapua in a gas gun.

+1 on that. Even with my gas tuned down, the brass still takes a decent whoopin'.

ETA - ballistics are damn near identical, OP. I own an LRP in .260 and the thing is just stupid accurate. The load is very basic 41.7gr H4350 to COAL 2.81 with 139gr Scenars.

Brass just doesn't last that long in a gas gun. I would be shocked to see 10 loadings out of any semi auto rifle much less a higher pressure round like the .260 or 6.5c in a semi.

I would get the 6.5c.

Without reloading, i don't even consider 260 an option. Cheap and plentiful hornady factory rounds with the added shorter coal make for a much more convenient gun. While improving, factory loads really arent even comparable as far as availability and price.

Last edited:

I went 10 rounds once with lapua 308 brass. It was annealed once after 5x. The last 5x of that set was lower pressure plinking rounds. When I have used Hornady 308 brass I was throwing away once fired brass due to primer pocket issues. I will admit I don't make a practice of re loading anything 10x but it can be accomplished. Also I am not saying that all 50 of the batch made its way to 10x just a large majority. I apologize about not being absolutely clear about my claim. All I am trying to say is my experience with Hornady brass in both 6.5cm and 308 has not been good. I have zero experience with 260 and lapua 260 brass. It was a question in my mind to try a 260 with some lapua brass to see if I liked it any better than the Hornady brass 6.5cm combo.

I am all ears to hear about the 260 and people's experience with Lapua brass. If it's no better than 6.5cm and Hornady brass than I am all for the 6.5cm at that point. I just hate using a piece of brass once and having a primer pocket so loose that it won't even hold a primer in place.

I went 10 rounds once with lapua 308 brass. It was annealed once after 5x. The last 5x of that set was lower pressure plinking rounds. When I have used Hornady 308 brass I was throwing away once fired brass due to primer pocket issues. I will admit I don't make a practice of re loading anything 10x but it can be accomplished. Also I am not saying that all 50 of the batch made its way to 10x just a large majority. I apologize about not being absolutely clear about my claim. All I am trying to say is my experience with Hornady brass in both 6.5cm and 308 has not been good. I have zero experience with 260 and lapua 260 brass. It was a question in my mind to try a 260 with some lapua brass to see if I liked it any better than the Hornady brass 6.5cm combo.

I am all ears to hear about the 260 and people's experience with Lapua brass. If it's no better than 6.5cm and Hornady brass than I am all for the 6.5cm at that point. I just hate using a piece of brass once and having a primer pocket so loose that it won't even hold a primer in place.

Throwing away once fired .308? That's wild...was it a particularly warm load?

It was Hornady Factory loads I had intended on reloading. I have 0 experience with Hornady 308 brass as brand new. But I experienced the identical problem with 6.5cm and Hornady brass both with trying to reuse the factory brass and stuff I exclusively reloaded with mild loads. That is why I am curious how well Lapua 260 brass holds up in a JP 260. I have a upper for my MWS from Genesis CNC shop that is going to get sent to JP for a build and it's going to be of the 6.5 caliber I just can't make up my mind on 260 or 6.5cm. I have read every thing I can find on here and find reasons from both sides as to why one is better than the other.

I love the durability of Lapua brass. I use Lapua for 223, 6.5 Grendel, and 308. Being able to use Lapua brass is a huge plus for me. I assumed I would get similar results from Lapua 260 brass.

Last edited:
Brass just doesn't last that long in a gas gun. I would be shocked to see 10 loadings out of any semi auto rifle much less a higher pressure round like the .260 or 6.5c in a semi.

I would get the 6.5c.

I've done 10+ reloads for my ar's. Just have to anneal after every firing to get them to last that long.

The guys at JP will recommend that you go with the lighter bullets in a gas gun because you have to seat the bullet deeper to fit the mags. If you use the heavier bullet, you will be using powder capacity area to hold the bullet base. I'm sure others will chime in and say that they get good accuracy from heavier bullets so it's worth the trade off in velocity. I guess you get to pick your poison.

A follow up question--are you guys able to fire heavier bullets in your .260 / 6.5mm AR-10s?

It's not a jp, but my gap-10 gets fed 140 gn ammo exclusively with great results. Current best load is 2850fps with a 140 amax grouping less than .4 moa. Heck I even shoot it in f open class.

6.5 creedmore following is growing. Winchester is making a 140 grain match load for 25 bucks a box. Would figure u will be able to buy win brass in a few months or buy the win ammo and keep the brass