• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Bullet Weight for .308?

Wilsun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Lincoln, Nebraska
First off, It's 1 AM so please excuse any errors in this post.

Secondly, based on the advice of some members of SH, I bought a Remington 700P with a SWFA SS 10X?HD scope around 2 months ago.

I'm new to shooting over 100 yards.

I'm ready to buy my .308 reloading equipment tomorrow and was wondering if there is a standard (good) bullet weight for shooting the 700P.

Thanks...I'm now shooting around 300 yds if that makes a difference.

Re: Good Bullet Weight for .308?

168s can be accurate, but have difficulty getting out to 1000 still supersonic.

175 SMKs can make it to 1000, and are very easy to load for (forgiving with seating depth, etc).

If you want to squeeze every last ounce of performance, look in the direction of 155 Lapua Scenars pushed as fast as possible.

I'm personally sticking with the 175 SMKs until new barrel time, at which point I'm switching to 6.5mm.

Wilsun,

Good question, My 2 cents, stay away from the 168's, if for no other reason, they are good to 600 yds, but do poorly beyond that. So if you get a chance to shoot further, you won't have to make up new loads, and start over.

That leaves the 155's, and the 175's. In 155's I like the Berger FullBore 155.5's. Almost any of the 175's are good, Sierra SMK's, Bergers, Hornaday's, et al.

Hard to find a bad 175 IMHO.

Pickem,

Bob

at 1000 mt works well lapua 170 Lock Base
smile.gif

you might check out the new hornady 178gr Amax post info on performance on which ever you choose

I always load the 175gr sierra match kings but, I load 7.62x51 for my M1A supermatch and, I have good load data/dope for that rifle with that bullet. All the above posts are great. I'd personally look at the 178gr amax if I were working up a new load for a new rifle in 308win.

Shit, I'm working up a load for my 300wm and, I'm still somehow stuck on the match kings.... I'm working up a load with the 220s at the moment.... they're shooting all through one hole at 100yds so, I'll take it out next weekend and stretch it's legs a bit.

I always liked the 155 A-max. Good BC of .435, works well out to 1000 and knocks the stuffing out of varmints : )
A good reloading read is Varmint Als at http://varmintal.com/arelo.htm I like Redding dies with a full length sizing die and Comp. seating die. Another nice accesory is the Carbide button for for the sizing die.

Once you start reloading you will shoot alot more good luck and enjoy.

JamieD
Wolf Precision

The 175gr Sierra Match King is an excellent long range bullet.

I would take the 155 Scenar as a second best.

Remember that the purpose of the 155 Scenar and the 155 Palma bullets was for competition with a 155gr limit.

The 155 Scenar also seems to take a little extra distance to settle down out of my 1:12 barrel.

I concur on the Scenars needing time to settle down.
The 155.5 fullbore's are my favorite and I have no reason to shoot another bullet in .308. 7.8 mils to 1000 and 12.9 to 1300. Also they are very, very forgiving and very, very accurate at all ranges, they don't need to fall asleep like the Scenars IME. IMO driven fast the 155's are the way to go with .308.

+10,000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">168s can be accurate, but have difficulty getting out to 1000 still supersonic.

175 SMKs can make it to 1000, and are very easy to load for (forgiving with seating depth, etc).

If you want to squeeze every last ounce of performance, look in the direction of 155 Lapua Scenars pushed as fast as possible.

I'm personally sticking with the 175 SMKs until new barrel time, at which point I'm switching to 6.5mm.
</div></div>

The more I shoot .308 the better I like bullets closer to 180 grains.

Again, it's midnight so I'm tired, so please excuse any errors:

I just realized that my 700P has a 1:12 twist.

That's slow, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember hearing that heavier bullets are better for a slower twist.

P.S. I didn't have time to buy the reloading dies today...I'm still leaning towards the heavier bullet.

Let me know if I'm mistaken, and thanks for the replies!

Faster twist for heavier bullets, slower twist for the lighter pills. a 1/12 is a fairly slow twist for a 308, it should like the 155s-168s, although my PSS 1/12 likes the 175 SMKs as well.

NOTE: 1/10 twist is "faster" than a 1/12 for examaple. Twist rate refers to how many inches of barrel length it takes for one full 360 degree rotation.

Kirk R

Though I don't handload yet, I've done a good bit of testing between 168s and 175s in both my M1A Loaded and my 700P - both eat 175 like it's their doc prescribed diet. I see quite a noticeable improvement in those over 168s on both platforms.

And only SMKs. I'm becoming more and more of a fanboy of SMKs everyday. Hornadies have simply never performed well for me, either in those rifles or in my Bushmaster Varminter. Actually, correction- Hornadies were fine atop Black Hills ammo in my Varminter, until Hornady changed their shape to a much wider hollow point and then everything went to shit.

So for .308 - Federal Gold Match SMKs- they cost the most, they shoot the best. It's an (expensive) no brainer for me
smile.gif

there are many very good bullets out there for .308's. I recommend you use of any of the <span style="font-weight: bold">Match Grade</span> 155's, 168's, 175's, 180's, 190's, 208's, 210's bullets from the Lapua Scenar, Berger VLD, Hornady A-MAX, and the Sierra MatchKing line-up.

There are a lot of shooters here that praise the amazing ballistics of the Hornady A-MAX 208's.

Personally, due to a shortage of Hornady A-MAX 208's in my area, I've moved up to shooting the 220 SMK's with very good success. The 220 SMK's are <span style="font-weight: bold">slow <span style="font-style: italic">"flying salamis"</span></span>, but they are accurate (I do use a 1:10" twist barrel).

my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, It's 1 AM so please excuse any errors in this post.

Secondly, based on the advice of some members of SH, I bought a Remington 700P with a SWFA SS 10X?HD scope around 2 months ago.

I'm new to shooting over 100 yards.

I'm ready to buy my .308 reloading equipment tomorrow and was wondering if there is a standard (good) bullet weight for shooting the 700P.

Thanks...I'm now shooting around 300 yds if that makes a difference. </div></div>

Since you're just starting in handloading and shooting, I would not worry about getting specialized bullets right now. Just forget the 155, you do not need them, same with the 175s and up. If I were you, I would pick up some 168gr SMKs or similar and learn to handload and shoot. These bullets are easy to load for and will give you great accuracy to 600 yards and beyond. Learn to walk before you run and you will do well.

168 A-MAX are cheaper than SMK. Also look at Nosler 168 comp bullets, also cheaper than SMK. For me out of my stick, the A-max's are just as accurate as SMK. The Noslers open up a little for me. But still sub MOA.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

Again, it's past midnight and I'm a little foggy.

My short-term plan is to target shoot at our farm. It's a lot of fun, however, I'm limited to around 250 yards (+/-).

I think I'm going with the 168 gr. A-MAX because a) 168 gr. seems good for the 1:12 twist, and b) they are cheaper than the Berger Bullets.

What I'm looking for now is a good powder...I think I want the fastest velocity since I'm only shooting 250 yards...IMR 4064 seems good based on the limited reference I have (Speer Bullets Reloading Manual #14).

I think I need a decent chronograph, too.

So, for someone new to reloading and intermediate (?) range shooting, my goals are to 1) buy the dies for my single stage Lee reloader, 2) buy some 168 gr. A-MAX bullets, 3) decide on a powder, 4) experiment with the chronograph/charges, 5) work on my shooting technique and 6) shoot!

If I'm misguided, then please intervene.

I would like to look at a progressive press but am not sure if it's worth it yet.

If I were to use this gun for whitetail hunting next season then I suppose I would want a slightly heavier bullet soft point?

My longer term goal is to shoot at a 300 range competition at the local gun club.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at 1000 mt works well lapua 170 Lock Base
smile.gif
</div></div>

SAS Sniper,

I have been looking at this projie for a while and am very keen to try this out. you are the first person i have come across that uses lapua 170's. if you don't mind me asking, What type of powder are you using and what speeds are you getting?
i want to try this in the aw i just got.

Regards Albert.
smile.gif

Wilsun, you are going in the right direction. Don't bother thinking of a progressive for .308 ammo, waste of time. Instead get some good dies (I like Redding,) develop a good load and try to be as consistent as possible handloading your ammo.

I've shot a lot of 168gr A-Max, it's a fine bullet. I use Varget but there are many other fine powders for the .308. These days, it's more about using what you can find.

Guy asked about shooting to 300 yards. Most recommendation are answering to 1000 yards!?

Concur with the recommendation to shoot 168 OTM, Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Nosler....which ever is cheaper or in stock.

Good luck

Jerry

ALMAORFE, you are absolutely correct. I was thinking of recommending some nice 150gr bullets flat base bullets. However, since the OP is just getting into handloading, I think he will have an easier time seating boat tail bullets.

For shooting out to 300 yards the older Sierra Palma 155 (#2155) is very accurate and they work very well with a 1-12 twist.

The newer Sierra Palma 155 (#2156) is also very good and is a better 1,000 yard bullet. Not quite the equal of the 155 Scenar ballistically but close.

I use the 155 Scenar out of my 700P. It is a little fussy about seating depth but reaches out to 1,000 without any problems (other than my shooting). They are a little touchy about seating depth, either need to be in the lands or pretty well off the lands.

Some folks I know have reported excellent performance with the new 155.5 Bergers, pretty much the equal of the Scenars ballisticly.

I use RL-15, CCI primers and Lapua brass. I'd say Winchester would be the second choice in brass although for precision loads I do a little prep like a light deburr of the primer flash holes. Doesn't need to be overdone.

Shop around on price. Yeah, heavier bullets work to but they are a little more expensive, the recoil is a little heavier, and unless they offer a ballistic advantage why bother.

For hunting take a look at the Barnes TTSX 168gr bullets... Everyone knows what the Barnes bullets are designed to do and they *usually* do it quite well. On top of that they have a BC of .504 (I think, but I know it's either right at .5 or over). With that in mind you have minimal zero corrections when switching up loads. For my .308 I just loaded up this:

175gr Berger VLD
Federal Brass
CCI Large rifle primer
41gr IMR 4064

Heading out to the range today to test it. That load will be used in a 1 in 10" twist barrel though. For my LTR (1 in 12" twist) I had good results with:

168gr SMK
Federal Brass
CCI Large rifle primer
42.5gr Accurate 2460

The barrel on the LTR is factory and my best group was 3/8" with the largest being 5/8" over 4 5-shot groups. If your barrel doesnt normally foul then the Barnes bullets should be good to go in your barrel. I plan on picking a few of those TTSX's up if I have enough time to go hunt before boot camp comes around. Hope some of this helped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoRepeater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Shoot the 178 gr out of a 5R barrel which is a 1:11.25 twist. </div></div>
wink.gif

I am new to this site and to the long range shooting. I am looking for a good set of Match reloading die. I am looking at RBCS, but am open to suggestions.

I suggest you start your own thread in the reloading forum and then take the inevitable abuse that comes to fist timers. After that you'll get good answers, like Redding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm looking for now is a good powder...I think I want the fastest velocity since I'm only shooting 250 yards...IMR 4064 seems good based on the limited reference I have</div></div>Start with 4064 and Varget. If your .308 doesn't shoot well with both these powders you have a gun problem. Same with the 168SMK's: if they don't shoot well through your 12-twist factory barrel you have hardware issues. Look around, you can often find SMK's for a good price because they are a popular bullet.

I use Berger Bullets in the 150 ,168 range. like already said 150's are hard to get out there to 1000 not saying it can't be done but hard. The 168's are better and the Hornady 175's are easier all work great for their intended purose though. I load them at .003 to .006 off the loads and use IMR-4320 (44.3, 44.6, and 44.9 grains) and am pushing them at 2710 to 2770 depending on load. Right now I'm working up a load for my 7 mm Rem. Mag. hopeing to push them just below the 3000 mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with 4064 and Varget. If your .308 doesn't shoot well with both these powders you have a gun problem.</div></div>

Or it would be because he's using Varget.
grin.gif

RL-15 all the way
wink.gif

Cant go wrong with 168 or 175 SMKs. I have had pretty good luck at longer ranges with 190 SMK with 41.6 gr of IMR 4064.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Berger Bullets in the 150 ,168 range. like already said 150's are hard to get out there to 1000 not saying it can't be done but hard.</div></div>

Which 155's are you shooting that are difficult to get to 1K? 155's are excellent at 1000. 168 SMK's suck at at a 1000. Am I reading your post wrong or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Berger Bullets in the 150 ,168 range. like already said 150's are hard to get out there to 1000 not saying it can't be done but hard.</div></div>

Which 155's are you shooting that are difficult to get to 1K? 155's are excellent at 1000. 168 SMK's suck at at a 1000. <span style="font-weight: bold">Am I reading your post wrong or something?</span></div></div>

possibly, since he didn't mention 155's anywhere.
wink.gif

I don't know what he means by "hard." Either the load is supersonic at the range you're shooting or it's not. In .308, there's basically no way to get a 150 grain bullet to 1k, supersonic, at normal pressures. So he's right...it'd basically be impossible to get a hit at that distance unless you were just straight up lucky.

At the 300 yards this OP is shooting, nearly any decent grade bullet will shoot accurately. Even an FMJ would likely do 2 moa or so at 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wilsun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

Again, it's past midnight and I'm a little foggy.

My short-term plan is to target shoot at our farm. It's a lot of fun, however, I'm limited to around 250 yards (+/-).

I think I'm going with the 168 gr. A-MAX because a) 168 gr. seems good for the 1:12 twist, and b) they are cheaper than the Berger Bullets.

What I'm looking for now is a good powder...I think I want the fastest velocity since I'm only shooting 250 yards...IMR 4064 seems good based on the limited reference I have (Speer Bullets Reloading Manual #14).

I think I need a decent chronograph, too.

So, for someone new to reloading and intermediate (?) range shooting, my goals are to 1) buy the dies for my single stage Lee reloader, 2) buy some 168 gr. A-MAX bullets, 3) decide on a powder, 4) experiment with the chronograph/charges, 5) work on my shooting technique and 6) shoot!

If I'm misguided, then please intervene.

I would like to look at a progressive press but am not sure if it's worth it yet.

If I were to use this gun for whitetail hunting next season then I suppose I would want a slightly heavier bullet soft point?

My longer term goal is to shoot at a 300 range competition at the local gun club.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again everyone.
</div></div>

The 168 A-max is an excellent bullet that will go as far as any other.

The LONGER the bullet (for a given velocity) the faster the twist required to stabilize it.
The bullets weight is close to negligible in the equation.

The 155 Scenar is a long bullet for its weight, but you can push it faster so it will spin faster and be O.K. in a slower twist than a heavier bullet of the same length.

Anyhow you're on the right track.
Have you selected a powder yet?
I'd recommend Varget or RL-15 as good choices.
Instead of a progressive I'd lean towards an auto dispensing powder thrower and a single stage set-up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Ferret</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rezmedic54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Berger Bullets in the 150 ,168 range. like already said 150's are hard to get out there to 1000 not saying it can't be done but hard.</div></div>

Which 155's are you shooting that are difficult to get to 1K? 155's are excellent at 1000. 168 SMK's suck at at a 1000. <span style="font-weight: bold">Am I reading your post wrong or something?</span></div></div>

possibly, since he didn't mention 155's anywhere.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Reading more carefully would've helped me there LOL!
I took it to mean bullets from 150-168 to include 155's.

In .308, there's basically no way to get a 150 grain bullet to 1k, supersonic, at normal pressures. So he's right...it'd basically be impossible to get a hit at that distance unless you were just straight up lucky

I have some pretty good groups @1000 with the lapua 155s and have ran them from sea level to 3500 @ ASC with great sucess. I push them a 2930 which is pretty std for the bullet with varget and have actually had luck beyond 1000. A lot of the F-TR guys run them and they also have success. 46-47 g Varget in 2 308s I have are giving me no pressure signs and 46g in a TRG -22 has yielded 10+ firings on win Brass.

Am I missing something?

There is a world of difference between the regular 150gr bullets and the 155gr Palma-type bullets. You simply cannot get the standard 150gr bullets to 1000 yards supersonically in a .308 and live to tell the tale. The 155 Palma-types are easily supersonic at 1000yards.

But I will take exception to the post where it is said to be impossible to get a hit at 1000 yards with the standard 150gr bullets; that is simply not true. If the bullet goes subsonic without losing its stability, it will simply continue on course. I have shot in many competitions 25+years agao, where we shot 147gr or 150gr FMJBT at 1000 yards and we would hit the target. Of course, we aimed higher and it was not the accuracy of today's F-TR rifles. My 1983 Fullbore rifle simply will not get the same accuracy as my 2010 F-T/R rifle, but it got on target then. I just don't shoot it at 1000 yards anymore. Also my 1983 match ammo is nothing like my 2010 match ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a world of difference between the regular 150gr bullets and the 155gr Palma-type bullets. You simply cannot get the standard 150gr bullets to 1000 yards supersonically in a .308 and live to tell the tale. The 155 Palma-types are easily supersonic at 1000yards.

But I will take exception to the post where it is said to be impossible to get a hit at 1000 yards with the standard 150gr bullets; that is simply not true. If the bullet goes subsonic without losing its stability, it will simply continue on course. I have shot in many competitions 25+years agao, where we shot 147gr or 150gr FMJBT at 1000 yards and we would hit the target. Of course, we aimed higher and it was not the accuracy of today's F-TR rifles. My 1983 Fullbore rifle simply will not get the same accuracy as my 2010 F-T/R rifle, but it got on target then. I just don't shoot it at 1000 yards anymore. Also my 1983 match ammo is nothing like my 2010 match ammo. </div></div>

Yes I know, I misunderstood his post since there had been no mention of a 150 projectile so I took it he meant 155's. My bad.

Jon,

Are you seating those 155s with Varget at mag length? I bought a box of the Lapua 155s but have yet to load any yet. I am tempted to just sell the 155s and work up a SMK 175/Varget load due to what sounds like ease of seating depth.

Thanks.

Wilsun, It sounds like you are well on your way to an accurate set up for your .308. I followed the progression in the thread, and watched the evolution. My addition to your loading info is that I have had near benchrest accuracy out of a few 308's using between 39.5 to 41.4 gr.of IMR 4895. My primers are usually but not limited to cci br. or fed 210GM's. The 168 smk is a great and reliable, but have fallen in love with BERGER VLD's of recent. I have shot the un-beleivably accurate 185 LAPUA on occasion with fantastic reults, but you need the right twist. If you have a 1in 12 twist, you may get by in short range, but not long range with that bullet. The lapua 155 is awesome as well. One other mention is the Flat Base berger 150 match bullet. WOW. Last but not least, on powder selection, you can not go wrong with Varget. Good luck, have fun, be safe. AIM SAMLL, MISS SMALL!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George Mac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon,

Are you seating those 155s with Varget at mag length? I bought a box of the Lapua 155s but have yet to load any yet. I am tempted to just sell the 155s and work up a SMK 175/Varget load due to what sounds like ease of seating depth.

Thanks.</div></div>

Yes. I shoot with a lot of guys getting 2900+ @ mag length.