• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good guys win one

$900 for a damn goat?

If it happened in California, the cops wouldn't have bothered. Isn't that the magic number for getting away with theft there, $900?
My daughter's last fair goat brought $2300
Her last steer was almost 10g's.
I've always told my kids this isn't a realistic
business model. For some reason though, people hemmorage cash at our fair. Her prices are average.
20210814_120049.jpg
20210812_123659.jpg

Last edited:
The best part about this is the fact that the family lived in the city and could not actually keep the animal at their home.

This type of parenting is the problem in this country. Instead of learning the lesson intended, mom is teaching daughter to be a criminal and breach contracts.

Goat milk, goat cheese and goat yoghurt are excellent for many folks with lactose intolerance.

Reactions: XLR308
it’s called parenting and I know no one does it anymore but it does work. All my kids know where their food comes from. You start early and talk about it often when you’re cooking or eating and it will not bother them.

I've had a couple goats before and hate them. Ornery cockeyed smelly bastards. My idiot ex would let the baby ones in the house.

Who said that he didn't give a shit and they could buy the goat back if they wanted to. In this day of lawsuits and Internet viral stories you'd think they would have called a mulligan and let the kid have the goat back.
I think the 4H was definitely teaching a lesson to a parent and child. Stand up for your word and a deal is a deal. Succumbing to peer pressure? That's not a good lesson.
Go back a few years ago and if someone had done like that hockey player (about the rainbow jersey) and told the internet trolls to fuck off. How much better we would be in society

That's fucking nuts, mine were free. Even the best cuts of meat were about 15-20$ a pound.
I agree!! Every year before fair, I would tell them "don't expect last year's prices".....and they'd go up. Notice the smoke in the pictures.....one of the biggest fires in the state was 7 miles away......that didn't lower the prices either. Pretty amazing community and one of the poorest counties in the state.

Reactions: oneshot86
I agree!! Every year before fair, I would tell them "don't expect last year's prices".....and they'd go up. Notice the smoke in the pictures.....one of the biggest fires in the state was 7 miles away......that didn't lower the prices either. Pretty amazing community and one of the poorest counties in the state.

I grew up in El Dorado and miss norcal a lot. Really pretty place and great people for the most part it's kinda like the Midwest or South. Arizona doesn't have the same culture, it's mostly shitheads from Los Angeles.

Reactions: FWoo45
Seems they robbed them of the most important part, the actual slaughter. It's brutal but real.
Think they reasoned it was a bit on the brutal side for 4-5 year olds. I know a fair number of kids that come hunting and help with slaughtering from a young age.

I grew up in El Dorado and miss norcal a lot. Really pretty place and great people for the most part it's kinda like the Midwest or South. Arizona doesn't have the same culture, it's mostly shitheads from Los Angeles.
For the most part it's not the California everyone reads about....but we still get the shit splattered on us. Least populated County in the state. Just got our first stoplight a couple years ago...no bullshit.

Reactions: FWoo45
Well holy fuck! Call in the national guard with air support.

"Public official". The new republic better get rid of this concept.

I ain't defending the action. Just pointing out the why.
My belief. If it was Joe citizens goat.... I'm sorry, there's a new Dunkin grand opening.

Reactions: NoDopes
No, I read the story and I get the idea. I also think a 9 year old little girl has no business caring for an animal for months only for it to be slaughtered. It's extremely predictable that she would be very upset at the idea of slaughtering an animal she took care of for months, because she's a 9 year old little girl. It's just a horrible idea. A 12 year old or older boy is a different story.
You wouldn't have faired well in my family.
12 is way past grown for learning about driving tractors and where meat comes from.

Alas....soft men and hard times.

A lot of “what’s wrong with society” all in one story. A spoiled kid with no sense of reality, bad parenting, and overly aggressive law enforcement chasing the wrong targets. Zero wisdom shown by all parties involved.

Would a spoiled kid with no sense of reality, bad parenting, and law enforcement enabling theft through selective enforcement be better?

When my kids were little we never said pork or beef or venison. We called it what it was.

Pig meat, cow meat, deer meat.

I showed them that meat doesn’t magically appear at the grocery store on styrofoam plates.

This little girl obviously never got the same lesson.

P

Would a spoiled kid with no sense of reality, bad parenting, and law enforcement enabling theft through selective enforcement be better?
There are so many examples of outright theft on a grand scale in this country and the “selective enforcement” that follows is so infuriating that it is impossible to put in word form. The theft of a goat (unless someone was relying on it to feed their family) barely even registers as crime in my book.

There are so many examples of outright theft on a grand scale in this country and the “selective enforcement” that follows is so infuriating that it is impossible to put in word form. The theft of a goat (unless someone was relying on it to feed their family) barely even registers as crime in my book.
We agree on the despicable nature of selective enforcement.

Theft is left.

My daughter's last fair goat brought $2300
Her last steer was almost 10g's.
I've always told my kids this isn't a realistic
business model. For some reason though, people hemmorage cash at our fair. Her prices are average.View attachment 8110682View attachment 8110683
The sad part is depending in what state you live in, the big premiums (especially for Grand Steer) trickle down to the same six or so cattle jocks selling and promoting them. You are so correct in the fact of it being a flawed buisness model. But I digress, we could discuss on and on the flaws in junior livestock shows.
Someone said earlier about the good kids 4H and FFA turn out. While this is true, 4H and FFA is WOKE. The national side of these organizations is disgusting. It is federally funded and as you can imagine is under attack of it's core values. The youth it turns out are very good people because of their parents and advisors.
By the way......my kids have shown steers and currently show breeding heifers.
Nice pictures and congrats on her success.

Most county fairs are terminal for market animals. Part of the agreement that kids sign. Least thats been my experience both as a kid doing it and having my own kids do it.
I have not been to most of them, so I can't claim to know how most of them do it, but they don't make you sell them here, neither at the county fair level, nor the state level show. If they in fact made you sell them at the county fair, the 4h kids would have nothing to take to state. :unsure:

The sad part is depending in what state you live in, the big premiums (especially for Grand Steer) trickle down to the same six or so cattle jocks selling and promoting them. You are so correct in the fact of it being a flawed buisness model. But I digress, we could discuss on and on the flaws in junior livestock shows.
Someone said earlier about the good kids 4H and FFA turn out. While this is true, 4H and FFA is WOKE. The national side of these organizations is disgusting. It is federally funded and as you can imagine is under attack of it's core values. The youth it turns out are very good people because of their parents and advisors.
By the way......my kids have shown steers and currently show breeding heifers.
Nice pictures and congrats on her success.
The flawed business model is the cost of entry for a competitive show animal. Whoever in this thread suggested a $60 goat doesn’t know fuck all about show animals. Around here a show quality bore goat will run $800 to $2000. That’s to buy the fucker for the kid to raise. The only reason show animals get what they get at auction is that the people that buy them have an interest in furthering the FFA/4H programs. They’re not buying a goat- they are investing in the future generation.

For most show animals, the auction isn’t making money- it is cost recovery.

Reactions: Anb618
Whoever in this thread suggested a $60 goat doesn’t know fuck all about show animals.

60$ is the commission that the Fair was getting out of it, IE their own real "loss". Which wasn't a loss because the lady offered to pay it plus whatever the bid was, and the bidder was fine with that too. They will go to court and the judge will ask them why they didn't take the money, they won't have an answer that makes any real sense and they will lose.

Now that I think about it our 4H had a "no sale" fee to avoid situations like this.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at but there are a ton of legal problems with what they did. The fair is gonna lose in court imho.
Fairly simple.

Selective enforcement/double standards; bad.

Recovering stolen property; good.

60$ is the commission that the Fair was getting out of it, IE their own real "loss". Which wasn't a loss because the lady offered to pay it plus whatever the bid was, and the bidder was fine with that too. They will go to court and the judge will ask them why they didn't take the money, they won't have an answer that makes any real sense and they will lose.

Now that I think about it our 4H had a "no sale" fee to avoid situations like this.
Maybe the family was looking for a larger pay day to recoup their costs, and had a change of heart once the gavel was down on the auction block- and the heart-sick kid is revisionist history…

My uncle once bought my cousin’s show heifer at the show sale when it was realized they wouldn’t get what they wanted out of it. She was more valuable as a “momma cow” than she was as steaks under cellophane. Of course, no money but the auction fee actually changed hands in this endeavor.

Those saying “it’s just a goat” need to remember that it was a nearly $1000 exchange of money. It may just be a goat, but it is the buyer’s goat. And, I’m pretty sure the cost is enough to justify “grand theft” in Cali, which carries up to a 3 year prison term. The mom should be adult enough to know that.

The whole thing was planned from the beginning by the mother.
She knew she was going to steal the goat when she signed her daughter up to raise the goat.
She is an animal rights activist. She knew where she was going to take the goat.
This was an "animal rescue" for publicity. Animal rights activism.

Prove me wrong.

Some breeds of livestock are very expensive, especially if they are prime specimens of their breed.
40 years ago, I had a mated pair of show grade Lincoln sheep. Even back then, those two sheep were worth well over a grand.

I wouldn't have? I was driving a tractor when I was 6 years old bud and skinning animals
Oh yeah! Well I was 3 when I killed my first hog, with my red Ryder bb gun!

So.....you were raised on a farm, you drove a tractor at 6. But you don't think a 9 year old is old enough to learn the hard lesson of why we raise livestock?

Satan - the goat, I bought for $57 at the local "cattlebarn" auction.
Was about a 2-3 month old kid at the time.
She's annoying as fuck, but a great alarm for anything in the middle of the night.
Have yet to decide...birria tacos, or biriyani (india goat/rice dish).

Every Thursday there is an auction here and there is almost always a few goats/sheep/ducks/chicken, etc....and cattle, thousands of cattle.
You know it's coming because Wednesday night all you can hear is the cattle bawling all night long.....it's not all that loud where I am, but I would not want to live closer to the yard.

BTW, the ram that's with Satan ?
Hellboy :)

Oh yeah! Well I was 3 when I killed my first hog, with my red Ryder bb gun!

So.....you were raised on a farm, you drove a tractor at 6. But you don't think a 9 year old is old enough to learn the hard lesson of why we raise livestock?
I think it's stupid for some random 9 year old napa valley girl to care for a goat for months so the goat can be slaughtered. That's making a goat a pet , and it's not some farm girl, so it's a super predictable outcome when the girl freaks out. It's not the same thing as going out and feeding animals 2x a day and fixing ribbon fences. I think that "lesson" and the childs age of understanding depends on the kid but I dont think you have to trick a kid into taking a goat for a pet for months then killing it to teach that lesson either for that matter. I have a 6 year old boy and he goes hunting with me now and has seen me shoot, he understands where meat comes from, that animals were put here for our use and management, ect... and I didn't even have to get him to take care of a goat for months to do it.

And you're the one who's Mr tuff guy, who's house I just wouldn't have faired well in Mr red ryder

The bidder said the kid could have the goat back, I haven't seen anything about it being paid for either. However they still seized and BBQ'd it. It may be that the fair unlawfully destroyed someone else' property.
There is certainly more than enough dumb-fuckery to go around in this tale.

I think it's stupid for some random 9 year old napa valley girl to care for a goat for months so the goat can be slaughtered. That's making a goat a pet , and it's not some farm girl, so it's a super predictable outcome when the girl freaks out. It's not the same thing as going out and feeding animals 2x a day and fixing ribbon fences. I think that "lesson" and the childs age of understanding depends on the kid but I dont think you have to trick a kid into taking a goat for a pet for months then killing it to teach that lesson either for that matter. I have a 6 year old boy and he goes hunting with me now and has seen me shoot, he understands where meat comes from, that animals were put here for our use and management, ect... and I didn't even have to get him to take care of a goat for months to do it.

And you're the one who's Mr tuff guy, who's house I just wouldn't have faired well in Mr red ryder

Yada...yada...
Sure are sensitive for a farm....dude.
How many bow kills you got?
Ever work any concrete?

• Haha
Reactions: myronman3
The flawed business model is the cost of entry for a competitive show animal. Whoever in this thread suggested a $60 goat doesn’t know fuck all about show animals. Around here a show quality bore goat will run $800 to $2000. That’s to buy the fucker for the kid to raise. The only reason show animals get what they get at auction is that the people that buy them have an interest in furthering the FFA/4H programs. They’re not buying a goat- they are investing in the future generation.

This guy understands. Most if us jackpotted during the season. Mostly for the experience but we had some success. Us small time folks from the sticks had a damn tough time competing against steers that cost more as calves then we'd sell at fair for.

Yada...yada...
Sure are sensitive for a farm....dude.
How many bow kills you got?
Ever work any concrete?
Somehow you aren't able to tell the difference in me talking about a Cali 9 yr old girl, and what I personally experienced as a boy???? You are the one who's Mr tuff guy , hard core family of toddler farm killers on the internet. Then you try to use the old concrete work and bow kills crap, like I'm the one making the tough guy claims? Just leave it alone. I freely admit that You are the reining ultimate farm kid and killed your first goat when you were 4 years old with your bare hands. We never ate any goats anyway.....

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Somehow you aren't able to tell the difference in me talking about a Cali 9 yr old girl, and what I personally experienced as a boy???? You are the one who's Mr tuff guy , hard core family of toddler farm killers on the internet. Then you try to use the old concrete work and bow kills crap, like I'm the one making the tough guy claims? Just leave it alone. I freely admit that You are the reining ultimate farm kid and killed your first goat when you were 4 years old with your bare hands. We never ate any goats anyway.....

Good gracious you take yourself seriously dontcha?
Not real bright though.
FlippantSmallHen-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: W54/XM-388

The goat showing is the most political ring competition for livestock. It is the newest species in our state and the worst for politics. Judges will stand over the goat and look at what breeder is on the tag. Every species is political, but the goats are the worst.

The goat showing is the most political ring competition for livestock. It is the newest species in our state and the worst for politics. Judges will stand over the goat and look at what breeder is on the tag. Every species is political, but the goats are the worst.
It all boils down to money and prestige. I want my little angel to win....so I'll spend money until she has the buckles. Husbandry gets outclassed by expensive genetics and who you know. It's no different than any other competition. If you've got enough money you can be competitive if not win.

It all boils down to money and prestige. I want my little angel to win....so I'll spend money until she has the buckles. Husbandry gets outclassed by expensive genetics and who you know. It's no different than any other competition. If you've got enough money you can be competitive if not win.
Almost.........except I have seen lots of money thrown in expectations of getting that angle........and it doesn't always happen. Played right it matters more who you are than the most money. Judges trade genetics and scratch each others backs. It matters who buys at who's production sale. Those people smell a rich sucker a mile away and the junior show is full of suckers. The long term breeders are not going to let a johnny come lately with a crap load of money come upset the cart.
We personaly have enjoyed beating $71,000 heifer and pushing $51,000 heifer into retirement. Ours was a four digit heifer and she isn't the only one of ours to get those kind of results. It wasn't because of how much we spent........we were just better and those in our breed respect us. We didn't get that respect from being suckers, we got it from knowing what we are doing.

No, I read the story and I get the idea. I also think a 9 year old little girl has no business caring for an animal for months only for it to be slaughtered. It's extremely predictable that she would be very upset at the idea of slaughtering an animal she took care of for months, because she's a 9 year old little girl. It's just a horrible idea. A 12 year old or older boy is a different story.
Hey, every kid needs to learn where their meat comes from. If kids never make the connection between a live animal and their happy meal, they grow up to be liberal idiots.

Reactions: Shanghai McCoy

I don't remember goats selling for anything remotely close to that so maybe people were bidding a bunch because it's charity.

Yeah, a $2500 steer will sell for $10k at our 4h auctions. I've also seen lambs sold for $2k, and then the winning bidder was wondering around asking who wanted a free lamb?

Reactions: BCP
I think its that way in a lot of places. I worked for some guys who bought a lot, if not most of the local fair animals, then gave them back if the person wanted it. They were just supporting the FFA/4H kids.

Heard on local radio this morning that this goat shit show was local to me. Far nor cal.
The purchaser was Brian Dahle....state senator and Grusome Newscum's Govenor challenger. Makes more sense now why this turned into a bigger story.

Plenty of stupidity to go around.

I guess mom did not know fair/circus operators share DNA with snakes and politicians.

No offense intenred but your first line or two happens in all shown livestock, all over rural America every year and has as long as I remember. Kids get attached to some of them. It’s unfortunate but it happens. Hell, I’m attached to my cattle. Sometimes you just can’t help it.
There are currently a huge number of people involved with ag either directly or tangentially that started in 4h or FFA showing something. Mainly good people and I’d like to think the growing up in that pursuit helped form that person.
Wasnt there or involved but this looks like a parenting or adult failure.
Almost.........except I have seen lots of money thrown in expectations of getting that angle........and it doesn't always happen. Played right it matters more who you are than the most money. Judges trade genetics and scratch each others backs. It matters who buys at whose production sale. Those people smell a rich sucker a mile away and the junior show is full of suckers. The long term breeders are not going to let a johnny come lately with a crap load of money come upset the cart.
We personaly have enjoyed beating $71,000 heifer and pushing $51,000 heifer into retirement. Ours was a four digit heifer and she isn't the only one of ours to get those kind of results. It wasn't because of how much we spent........we were just better and those in our breed respect us. We didn't get that respect from being suckers, we got it from knowing what we are doing.
Good for you. You’ve obviously spent some time in breed books, bloodlines, feed ratios and showing. Good bloodlines and competence frequently outperform just throwing money at it.
I think it’s that way in a lot of places. I worked for some guys who bought a lot, if not most of the local fair animals, then gave them back if the person wanted it. They were just supporting the FFA/4H kids.
I’ve bought quite a few fair animals at sale to support the kids and use it as advertising. In rural communities it matters. I’ve also let them have a few of them back.
For those that aren’t aware of how this generally works, You as the bidder buy the animal, you get a nice support plaque to hang in your office, the fair loads them up for either a specialty slaughterhouse(fair beef is generally a good grade) or sales barn and they sell them and send you a check. The difference between the check and what you bid is your actual cost. (Obviously if you gave it back to the kid there’s no sale check)
FWIW, unless a parent or member of the family came to me prior to the sale there probably wouldn’t be a giveback