• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good news, Oehler 35P

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
Good news,
I just got an email from Oehler indicating that they will be offering the 35P again in the summer of 2010.
It will have 3 screens, printer, 4' bar and stands.

Here is the info I got:
oehler1.jpg

oehler2.jpg

Re: Good news, Oehler 35P

Well...SH*T...

That just made my near future choices a lot harder.

I bought mine on eBay a few days after the discontinuation was announced.
I think I paid $235 without the printer.
Hopefully I can buy just a printer from them.
I'm amused that they are now packaging it in a rifle case as that is what I've been doing for a couple years now.

Nice! I just hope Im not broke when they offer it again.

I got mine 6-8 months before they stopped selling to the public.Great chrono by the way.
What was the reason they stopped selling to the public??

Regards, Albert.

How does the 35P compare against the Kurzzeit PVM-21 (PVM-08 its now called I think). I almost got in on the PVM-21 group buy a while back, but never did. I'm glad I didn't since now I have 2 options. I've always heard the 35P was the holy grail of chronos, but Kurzzeit seems like their technology is unbeatable based on their high speed videos. If a company can video a bullet traveling 3000fps, I would think to chrono that same bullet would be simple. It does seem to me that the double 2 foot sensor spacing of the 35P would be more accurate than the considerably shorter sensor spacing of the PVM, but the PVM does have a faster clock (16mhz vs. 4 mhz).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CCooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the 35P compare against the Kurzzeit PVM-21 (PVM-08 its now called I think). I almost got in on the PVM-21 group buy a while back, but never did. I'm glad I didn't since now I have 2 options. I've always heard the 35P was the holy grail of chronos, but Kurzzeit seems like their technology is unbeatable based on their high speed videos. If a company can video a bullet traveling 3000fps, I would think to chrono that same bullet would be simple. It does seem to me that the double 2 foot sensor spacing of the 35P would be more accurate than the considerably shorter sensor spacing of the PVM, but the PVM does have a faster clock (16mhz vs. 4 mhz). </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1797697

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1801244

Thanks for the links. I think I'm leaning towards the 35P for now. I just gotta come up with 575 bucks.

I had a 35P for a long time, but a fellow shooter wanted it really bad and I wanted his NF BR really bad, so we swapped. Price wise, I did better on the deal, but value wise, well, I've kicked myself ever since. You can pick up a NF BR anywhere, not the case with a 35P. I put a metric ass ton of projectiles through it and cannot remember one time that I had an error reading. The chrony I replaced it with had errors on at least half of the readings. It was as good as guessing velocities, and I got rid of it. So I am without one.

It is wonderful news that Oehler is re-introducing them. I couldn't justify the crazy prices that fleabay and GB were bringing.

I went to the sight and evidently you can order them on line. Has anyone attempted yet?

I'm hearing July on delivery dates. Can that be confirmed?

Guess I need to get a check sent in. I won't be as naive this time and hang on to it.

I've always heard good things about the 35P. I have a CED M2 which seemed to be the best of the bunch that was available with the now upgraded IR screens.

So a couple of questions about the 35P:
1. How long does it take to setup/teardown?
2. Do the screens tolerate being under shady trees?
3. Is this particular kit complete with everything you need including a reliable stand?

Thats a pretty nice unit

wish i could afford one... just got my Beta Master today

I would hate to own an Oehler and accidentaly shoot it

Ok so ive owned a Beta master for all of two days now...

I now understand why people "Buy once, cry once" when it comes to Oehlers!

Stupid DOA chrony killing my buzz!!!

Ahhhh sigh, wishing i had the cash for one of these bad boys right about now
frown.gif

Well, after attempting for the second time to chrono a 260AI load with my CED M2 with IR screens and failing, I finally broke down and placed my order for an Oehler. The M2 just kept giving me problems and was either inconsistent and could not be trusted or was reading random E0 or E1 errors.

I'm looking forward to understanding what all 35P owners before me have come to like about the system. I'm hoping it does the trick as I just don't have time to waste on crappy equipment.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after attempting for the second time to chrono a 260AI load with my CED M2 with IR screens and failing, I finally broke down and placed my order for an Oehler. The M2 just kept giving me problems and was either inconsistent and could not be trusted or was reading random E0 or E1 errors.

I'm looking forward to understanding what all 35P owners before me have come to like about the system. I'm hoping it does the trick as I just don't have time to waste on crappy equipment..... </div></div>

I too had that problem, I sent just the main unit and sensors back to CED for a checkup, they ended up sending me a new main unit, the sensors were fine. After that it has been spot on for me, not a single missed or wacky reading.

Really nice to see the 35P is being offered again. Mine came in a box, not that nice looking rifle case!!

My main complaint regarding the 35P is the rail for mounting. It used to be a piece of electrical conduit, with dimples to locate/clamp the sky screens. This method is cumbersome and add any wind, things start moving. A guy in Utah was making a bar for the 35P. Does anyone have a pic of this bar, or own one???

Precision Shooting mag. used to advertise a bar, too. It was far more expensive than the guy in Utah advertised.

If someone who gets one of these would do a comparison test with several different brands of chronos, it would make for some good reading. I have heard these are the best you can get, but I would like to see some actual evidence before spending 3X some of the others are going for. I'm not skeptical that they don't work better. I think the 3 screen design would have to be more accurate than a cheap 2 screen chrono. The problem is that you don't have the ability to see the benefits until you buy one. With a $2500 scope, I can usually go to a store and compare it to others and come out with a pretty good idea what the benefits are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoffels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May have to get one in that the $575 is a good deal some peolple were asking $1500.00 for them
Bill </div></div>
That's exactly why Oehler started building them again. They saw how much used models were fetching on eBay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: makr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really nice to see the 35P is being offered again. Mine came in a box, not that nice looking rifle case!!

My main complaint regarding the 35P is the rail for mounting. It used to be a piece of electrical conduit, with dimples to locate/clamp the sky screens. This method is cumbersome and add any wind, things start moving. A guy in Utah was making a bar for the 35P. Does anyone have a pic of this bar, or own one???

Precision Shooting mag. used to advertise a bar, too. It was far more expensive than the guy in Utah advertised.</div></div>

I saw over on 6mmbr.com (in the forum) some time ago a guy advertised he was making a stand kit for the 3 screen design. Do some searching there and maybe you can find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: makr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really nice to see the 35P is being offered again. Mine came in a box, not that nice looking rifle case!!

Precision Shooting mag. used to advertise a bar, too. It was far more expensive than the guy in Utah advertised.</div></div> I
will see if I can take a picture of the ones you see on 6mmbr.
I have been so busy I have not been able to make anymore.

I saw over on 6mmbr.com (in the forum) some time ago a guy advertised he was making a stand kit for the 3 screen design. Do some searching there and maybe you can find it. </div></div>

Austan and johndoe- Thanks for passing on the info. regarding 6mmbr. Have been looking with the search function there. So far nothing, however will keep reading.

Think I will also look for some rectangular aluminum tubing and see about finding someone to MIG or TIG some ends; I can drill the needed holes. Maybe a couple of tabs (welded on the sides) to wrap the leads around to hold them for storage??? This could work!!

Wonder if Oehler is still using conduit as the rail material?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: makr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austan and johndoe- Thanks for passing on the info. regarding 6mmbr. Have been looking with the search function there. So far nothing, however will keep reading.

Think I will also look for some rectangular aluminum tubing and see about finding someone to MIG or TIG some ends; I can drill the needed holes. Maybe a couple of tabs (welded on the sides) to wrap the leads around to hold them for storage??? This could work!!

I will post a picture of the ones I was selling on 6mmbr when
I get a chance. I plan on making some more someday.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: makr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austan and johndoe- Thanks for passing on the info. regarding 6mmbr. Have been looking with the search function there. So far nothing, however will keep reading.

</div></div>

^^^JohnDoe^^^ is the one who was making them. This is the thread I remembered seeing. LINK

Austan- Appreciate, again, the info provided!! Wish Photobucket still had the pics to access. A square or rectangular rail would speed set up, as I was reminded this weekend at the range (lots of mosquito's!!!).

johndoe- look forward to viewing pics of your rail! Thanks for giving more details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If someone who gets one of these would do a comparison test with several different brands of chronos, it would make for some good reading. I have heard these are the best you can get, but I would like to see some actual evidence before spending 3X some of the others are going for. I'm not skeptical that they don't work better. I think the 3 screen design would have to be more accurate than a cheap 2 screen chrono. The problem is that you don't have the ability to see the benefits until you buy one. With a $2500 scope, I can usually go to a store and compare it to others and come out with a pretty good idea what the benefits are.
</div></div>
Funny you mention that.

CED (manufacturer of the M2 chrono) and Oehler both publish the frequency of the clocks in their chronos, as well as their screen distances. From this you can calculate the statistical average error rate. I'd always thought the Oehler was the holy grail of chronos but this evening I've crunched the numbers, and now I'm not so sure.

The 35P uses a 4MHz clock, which means the average timing error should be 1/8 millionths of a second. Its maximum screen distance is 15 feet (but it only comes with a mounting 4' rod). For the sake of argument, multiply 4 x 15 and we get a relative potential accuracy number of 60.

The CED M2 uses a 48MHz clock, which means the average timing error should be 1/96 millionths of a second. Its only screen distance is 2 feet. Two times 48 gives a relative potential accuracy number of 96. So the circuitry of the two indicates that the CED should have 1/3rd the average error rate from the Oehler. If you only use the OE 4' rod, the Oehler will have 6x the average error rate of the CED.

This ignores the benefit of the Oehler's third screen and its "proof channel," however, I fear the advance of IC technology has overtaken the Oehler's older technology.

So I did a little <span style="font-style: italic">more</span> figuring. Figuring a 3000 fps round, the average error rate of the 4' Oehler should be about 0.55 fps. A bit more than half a foot per second. Big whoop! Too small to notice unless your read-out displays in tenths of a fps. For the CED, the average error should be .09 fps, about 1.1 inches per second for a 3000 fps bullet. The change in error will change in inverse proportion to any change in velocity.

One thing you've got to give the Oehlers credit for, you don't find many people still using 10-year-old CEDs or Shooting Chronys. And there's plenty of Oehler users still happy with their 10-year-old chronos. But in terms of pure accuracy, I think IC technology has left it behind. Then again, do you have need an average error rate of less than .55 fps, which works out to about .00018%?

But to more directly (partially) answer your question, I do have a Shooting Chrony Beta Master and a CED M2. I have both because the Shooting Chrony breaks whenever I use it on a day that ends in a "Y", so I bought the CED and kept the other for a backup. But I tested them against each other and found that the CED is more accurate by 2.25 fps in ES per each 1000 fps of projectile velocity and by about 0.75 fps in SD per each 1000 fps.

YMMV.

Oehler called me today to verify my address. Said they will be shipping me a new 35P this week. I am eager to try it out. I ordered in May soon as I read they were going to make some new 35Ps.

[/quote]
One thing you've got to give the Oehlers credit for, you don't find many people still using 10-year-old CEDs or Shooting Chronys. And there's plenty of Oehler users still happy with their 10-year-old chronos. But in terms of pure accuracy, I think IC technology has left it behind. Then again, do you have need an average error rate of less than .55 fps, which works out to about .00018%?
YMMV. [/quote]

You lost me here....is the CED the more accurate one according to your calcs?

+1 on the chrono comparison. I would like to see the top couple of chrono's head to head since the 35p is available again. Ive got an m2 with the IR screens and would like to know how it stacks up against the 35p.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oehler called me today to verify my address. Said they will be shipping me a new 35P this week. I am eager to try it out. I ordered in May soon as I read they were going to make some new 35Ps. </div></div>

Have you received your 35P yet? I ordered mine around the same time and am wondering if they're making it out yet. Can't wait to deposit my piece-of-crap PACT into the nearest dumpster.......

Thanks,
Erik

Hope I didn't wait too long to make the cut but I ordered mine online last night. Been reloading for 23 years now and always cared more about accuracy than velocity, so this will be my first chronograph. Yeah! Even more stuff to lug to the range.
smile.gif

I ordered mine about a month ago and got an email last week saying that they where starting to ship and that I was probably getting mine in November.

I got that e-mail on Wednesday last week then another on Friday stating they were testing it and packaging it up, will be shipping in a week. They asked that you reply to the e-mail so they don't have to play phone tag....good news indeed
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: makr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austan and johndoe- Thanks for passing on the info. regarding 6mmbr. Have been looking with the search function there. So far nothing, however will keep reading.

8707ac11.jpg

</div></div>

^^^JohnDoe^^^ is the one who was making them. This is the thread I remembered seeing. LINK </div></div>