• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Shooting Mat?

wojo14

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2012
I am getting into shooting !
I am almost done with my 6.5 Grendel.
I am looking for a shooting mat/rifle case.
I like the NC star one. nice case and mat, with MOLLE on the outside for pouches.
And the price is right!
Any thoughts guys?

Re: Good Shooting Mat?

get a separate case and mat, I have a combo but never use it as a mat, midways deluxe mat is tough to beat for the price - on sale for 50 about half the year and I think 30 on black friday, it is bulky so $$ to ship

for the case no one knows what you will like including you, use a variety for a few years and you will find out, my favorite: black plastic contico that walmart sells for about 20 during hunting season. The big starline/pelican type cases take up to much room in the car/closet

I have the NC star mat/bag and I must say its pretty good for the price. The paddding is not as thick as some as the higher priced one but I am very happy with it for under $100

i would stick to a separate gun case and mat i have the one from midway that i have used for 3 years now and they are on sale for $25 can't go wrong with that one, it has worked just fine for me.

Eberlestock mats are a steal for the money. Better quality construction than NCStar by far in my opinion. The Midway pro series mat is ok too, but their shipping policies border on criminal as far as I'm concerned. I rarely order from them anymore because of it. Shoot Ceylon an IM, he's a member here and an Eberlestock dealer. Outstanding guy to deal with.

I have the case/mat, I like it, but I am looking into just a padded mat or two.

So with that said, I prefer the mat by it's self. But, you might like the mat/case.

The Midway mat is pretty nice for the price point.

A very simple and compact mat that will fit in a back pack - TAB Gear Shooting Mat.

Yep, for the price the Midway mat is nice,I have heard people wine about the grommets pulling out but not quite sure why you would wanna pull on them or tie it down.......

I have had the voodoo tactical mat for a few years now and love it. I would go with a bag and mat combo but that is me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, for the price the Midway mat is nice,I have heard people wine about the grommets pulling out but not quite sure why you would wanna pull on them or tie it down....... </div></div>

because they blow around, I have seen them flip rifles over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: robescc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had the voodoo tactical mat for a few years now and love it. I would go with a bag and mat combo but that is me. </div></div>

do you have the deluxe or the cheaper model? the deluxe is a case and mat, i believe the $50 one is just a mat.

i am curious too, i am torn between what I want, i know a want a mat, and i know i want a case, but do I want them combined? what about setting up at the range? would it be easier with them separate?

but i have been looking at the La Rue Tactical Covert Rifle case, and a blackhawk mat. The blackbawk mat is pretty incredible, even has a water pouch woo hoo.

I am a firm believer in do it right the first time. I would rather save and be happy with what I got then to settle.

That being said, I am not a hardcore shooter (competiton wise), will the voodoo hold up for 10+ years? i know the blackhawk will.

and is it the deluxe or the basic? I hate spending money, and even worse, I hate spending money on something Im not sure of. I think I like the idea of the covert case, because it is different, and walking outside with it, no one knows there is a rifle in it.

Im just ntot 100% sold, i dont know if I would like to put my rifle together everytime i take it out, i dont know what it will do to the lube on the rifle, ect.......

anybody have experience with the covert case from la rue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A very simple and compact mat that will fit in a back pack - TAB Gear Shooting Mat. </div></div>

+1

I like my TAB mat. Simple and compact.

i bought a midway usa shooting mat a couple of years ago for like 24.99 and its the best mat for that cheap that ive come across in a long time

maxi.jpg

I have the cheap Midway mat but I'm thinking about getting the TAB. I don't really care about the padding and the midway is too big and bulky for hiking out with.

Mister Ouchie pretty much nailed it. Depends on what you are using it for. If you are just using it on the shooting line then the midway is just fine and for 49 bucks you really can't beat it (although kind of cheaply made). And, it has a cool strap that you can hook with the legs or your bipod and use to preload the bipod.

If you are using it in the field or hiking, then it's kind of heavy and bulky. So, you might want to go with something smaller.

I personally have the midway pro mat. I blew out my back and knees several years back and don't pack it in anywhere anymore.

Agree with the people saying Voodoo Tac.

Had mine for a while and still looks brand new.