• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Goodyear Blimp Goes Down in Flames

G

Article

Goodyear blimp burst into flames and plunged to earth in a weekend crash in Germany.

The pilot was killed but three passengers managed to jump to safety when the airship caught fire as it was coming in to land at the Reichelsheim aerodrome near Friedberg.

When the airship was just six metres from the floor, the pilot told his passengers, all journalists, to jump to the ground while he tried to land safely.

Once the three had leapt clear of the blimp he took it back up before being it became overwhelmed by flames and crashed to the earth, in a chilling echo of the Hindenburg disaster.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...l#ixzz1PBtyRhjg

article-2002935-0C8A26EA00000578-774_634x389.jpg

article-2002935-0C87DADC00000578-538_638x369.jpg

article-2002935-0C8A270100000578-348_634x818.jpg

Re: Goodyear Blimp Goes Down in Flames

Those gasbags are awful responsive to weight changes, and i suspect that when about 500 to 600 pounds of reporters dove off together that it rapidly climbed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those gasbags are awful responsive to weight changes, and i suspect that when about 500 to 600 pounds of reporters dove off together that it rapidly climbed. </div></div>

Absolutely true. The pilot didn't "take it back up", it took him back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why didn't he jump out with them???</div></div>

....somebody had to "hold it steady"?

limps are maintained at almost neutral bouyancy, y releasing helium and dropping water ballast. The two fans that are able to be rotated are used to keep them up that extra lift needed, as well as for propulsion. Since helium doesn't burn, this was obviously a engine oil/gas fire, and once the envelope and contained helium cells were burned the gondola and engines and fuel and helium tanks came down like a flaming brick. I doubt once the three guys jumped that the pilot had a chance to jump out the side doors before he was at a fatal altitude already. I bet it jumped up really really fast without them.
I hope he didn't suffer much.

Jeez, Elmer, we're still waiting on the results of your assignment to investigate the termite troubles in Tazmania. It's been a year or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">limps are maintained at almost neutral bouyancy, y releasing helium and dropping water ballast. The two fans that are able to be rotated are used to keep them up that extra lift needed, as well as for propulsion. Since helium doesn't burn, this was obviously a engine oil/gas fire, and once the envelope and contained helium cells were burned the gondola and engines and fuel and helium tanks came down like a flaming brick. I doubt once the three guys jumped that the pilot had a chance to jump out the side doors before he was at a fatal altitude already. I bet it jumped up really really fast without them.
I hope he didn't suffer much.
</div></div>

Yep that's what hte news said, except there were 6 or 7 people onboard.

Brave dude to do that, would have been nice if he got o ut.

Was that the official Goodyear blimp or a home job? Does not look so big on teh ground of course....and there are many...(Goodyear blimps).