• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Got drawn for Elk

rhildy77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2012
Tucson, AZ
So fellas my wife and I got drawn for elk finally after 7 years. The question I have is she doesn't like shooting the 300 win but does like the 6.5 creedmoor. You guys think that will be sufficient for elk if so have far for a good shot. She is comfortable shooting to 600 yards. Thank you for the help guys wish it was season already I'm ready to fill the freezer.

That's plenty of gun for elk. Shot placement is king when it comes to any caliber/arrow. A gun that she enjoys shooting and is good at shooting is always better than the bigger option. When we'd get Guys that come to MT from back east will go buy the biggest baddest magnum that can knock an elk over at 600 yards. And they miss a 140-150 class whitetail at 150 yards cuz they have a terrible flinch and they have shot the rifle 15 times. Pr worse yet they wound an animal because of poor shot placement, then its lost. When their 243 or 270 from back home woulda been much better.

Take a look at the "hunting with a .260" thread in this section. That should remove all your doubts.

Thanks guys shot placement is the key I did go through 260 and seen that pat uses it for pretty much everything. Know I just need to find the time to get her behind the creedmoor. We will be using hand loads topped with a 140 Berger running 2900 FPS.

Sounds like a good choice, The 140 VLD has a sectional density of .287 so it falls right between a 30 cal 180 interbond (.271) and 7mm 168 VLD (.298) So the 6.5 @2900 will put you at 1500 ft lbs at 450Y. Hit up JC steel and have the wife ringing a 10 or 12" gong till every bullet hits from any position.

Congrats on the draw. I am still waiting to hear if any of my family gets a chance to put meat in the freezer this fall...

Congrats on her tag. A well placed shot with a gun she is comfortable shooting is better than a bad shot with a gun she doesn't like shooting anyday. I've seen elk drop in their tracks with a 243, 7-08, 308 etc and also seen them run off with a 300. It's all shot placement. But remember they are big tough animals and if they are standing, keep shooting!!! We have had many go down with clients, only to get back up and run for miles.

2 years ago i took my bull elk at 655yards with a lung shot out of a 308win

My fiancé took red stag at 120 yards with a 300WM(yes she does not mind shooting 300WM and her hunting gun is only 7lbs scoped, she also shoots my Christensen Arms 338LM which is just 9 lbs scoped with bipod). She had 150 Grain GMX Horandy in it.
He started walking away so I put 3(THREE) 178gr AMAX from my 308 in to the base of his neck. He kept walking until last one broke his vertebrae. Even than he was thrashing around for 5 minutes.

Her shot placement apparently was perfect - Both lungs and heart. GMX did job OKis - expanded and animal would have eventually died.. My AMAX sucked - none of them expanded and first 2 just missed anything major in the neck. Strangely enough same 178gr AMAXs were devastating on wild boar dropping Miss Piggy in their tracks and
doing tons of internal damage.

Lesson learned - big stout animals do command some firepower but bullet choice is critical. Make sure your Berger expands well.
Do not attempt long range shots and let wounded animal get away.

Or get really nice muzzle break and recoil pad and have your wife actually enjoy shooting 300WM like my lady does.
As always - bullet placement is critical. Go for heart/lung shot - without fragmenting bullet neck shots are iffy on large animals. If you don't hit the shoulder 6.5CM would take Elk down - no lungs = can't breathe :)

You could also down load the 300 if you really needed/ wanted to since you seem to be able to hand load. I found that a 165 and a 180 grain Hornady pill over a minimum charge of IMR7828SSC is very accurate and gives performance near 30/06 levels. Not very efficient given the size of case and amount of powder used, but it will get the job done.

Good luck on your hunt.

Shot placement is key, she should not have any problem with that caliber.

Good luck to both of you on the hunt.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

Thanks for the info guys...I'm running 230 Bergers out of the 300 so it should do the trick little sarcasm...I have no doubt the Berger will work fine on Elk and she enjoys shooting it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys...I'm running 230 Bergers out of the 300 so it should do the trick little sarcasm...I have no doubt the Berger will work fine on Elk and she enjoys shooting it.

Should work as well as a sledge hammer driving a drywall nail....

Good luck, and let us know what unit...if AZGFD ever freaking releases the draw results. I'm going crazy to find out if I or my family got drawn (money orders so no bank hits).

I'm going crazy as well man they need to post results...I put in for all early rifle bull te trophy hunts but I dot remember which order.

Congrats no matter what unit it is....but....if you stole my unit 9 early bull with 8 bonus points when I had 16, I ain't gonna be really happy!

Seriously though, good luck on the hunt, to both you and your wife. Make the most out of it and bring home a couple great bulls. Good eating in you future.

congratulations on getting drawn. reading your post and thinking about you problem, I would give the 280 ackley improved some consideration,

Lance if I got drawn for that I ain't telling you

Ha! No sweat. Always happy to hear that someone got drawn that will use the tag.

I put in for a 7W early bull last year, and talked to a guy on my archery deer hunt in that unit, and his wife drew the tag with no bonus points. Oh well. I was up during that hunt scouting for a friend of mine's daughter who had an upcoming hunt in that unit and saw the couple up there. She shot a nice bull and I was very happy for her.

Well know the wife is saying she might want to get a rifle of her own. Wondering if I can talk her into the 6.5 SAUM

Finally fish and game posted results. I got drawn for early rifle bull. Still trying to figure out what the wife got took me awhile to get thru just to find out.

Congrats on the early rifle bull.....sucker......

Yeah, I did not get drawn again.

But seriously, huge congrats man! Let me know what unit. Check the website. Way faster than making 256 calls in a row to get through.

My 11 year old daughter did get a 7W late season bull elk tag though! So I am stoked for her. Time to get the .270Win out and start stretching its legs...

That's awesome lance. I have to wait a little longer for my daughter to start hunting but she loves going with dad

It took me exactly 256 attempts to get in the first time. Then I went online for my wife and daughter and got right in.

I see some great eating in your future. Good luck on the hunts, and don't shoot the first 330" bull you see. Hold out for a big boy. I know with you living in Tucson it might be tough, but start scouting early and often. I know I will be starting in the near future for my daughter's hunt, even though the elk will be moving by November. Gives me a good excuse to be in the woods.

Unit 1 cow is a gimme hunt, but great memories and table fare await!

Yes it is. My in laws live up in pinetop and know it all pretty good up there. I spend majority I my winters up there with them chasing lions. This year was horrible though.

Well got everything figured out the wife is going to run the creedmoor with a 140 Berger for her hunt and I'm running my 300 with a 230 Berger. These next two weeks are going to be the longest of my life waiting to hear that bugle of that big bull.

Sooo envious. You should both be good to go with your cartridge selection. Just don't shoot the first bull you see. Hold out for a monster.

Here is one we got awhile ago might be tempted to shoot him. Well don't get to shoot him he got stuck by a archer green scored 380

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: