• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Got my first USO scope - is this normal? PICS

Re: Got my first USO scope - is this normal? PICS

Depending on how it was shipped, optics sometimes don't react well to air travel. They're packed in a cargo hold where temps can drop from sea level ambient to well below freezing at altitude in just a few minutes. The same happens on decent. Combine that with the pressure change and even a slightly faulty seal, and even the best scopes can fog. It happens to more scopes than you know but goes largely unnoticed except in cases where illumination is present.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ive said my peace. <span style="font-weight: bold">USO is the best and</span> thats why there are at least 50 for sale right now on this very forum. because they are so good people like to share the awesomeness.... </div></div>

at this moment 3 out of the first 5 listings in the rifle sales forum are GAP rifles... by that logic they are junk too

I never said they are <span style="font-weight: bold">the best</span>. There are too many applications that need to be considered to give anyone that title. USO is very competitive for the dollars spent on them, the ability to customize something to be exactly what you want is a wonderful concept, and the customer service is pretty damn good, every time you call you talk to an English speaking human. The only other company I hold in as high regard as USO is Dillon Precision and the no BS warranty/Customer Service they have on their presses.

I own 4 USO scopes, 2 Nightforce scopes, and one March scope. Each of these manufacterers had the opportunity to fix a scope for me that was broken. IN fact, each got to fix the same problem - paralax issues where the adjustment went out. All did it but not necessarily with the same level of prodding by me.

USO was easy to deal with, and didn't blink about fixing it and sending it back promtly.

the NF rep said it was an atmospheric issue and I had to threaten them before they agreed to "look" at it, and report back. I was right, but they didn't want to admit it or explain what they actually fixed and I had to chase them down to get an answer.

March didn't blink and said send it to them or Kelbly's, they were happy to fix it and turned it around quickly.

Here is my point. Every manufacturer will have problems with their products failing and breaking, its how they deal with it that tells me if I want to deal with them in the future.

I wish Premier had a good MOA-based reticle, as I would like to give them my business. But until they have something like the PCMOA or MDMOA its USO and March for me.

JeffVN

Well, USO got the scope last Monday (1/24) - I called to confirm that they had it after a tracking number snafu made it look like the package was in limbo.

I exchanged emails with Jeff today and he said that the technician would probably have it done today and it may even be sent back to me today as well. That's fast service on a warranty repair.

Per Jeff, the issue was that the adhesive used was part of a contaminated batch that USO got several years ago that they caught after only a handful of scopes had been shipped. I guess mine was one of those lucky few to make it out. He said that the fogging usually happened after the scope had been sitting for a few days after the adhesive had fully cured. He continued to say that "the outgassing occurs on the reticle, so the technician needed to remove the objective and eyepiece lenses to remove the erector tube and access the reticle lens. Once the reticle lens was cleaned the technician cleaned the remaining lenses and sealed the scope."

For those that care, I will report back when I receive it. Thus far, I am impressed with USO's communication on the phone and via email (prompt and courteous) and appreciate Jeff's explanation as well.

Given Jeff's autopsy, I am surprised that the individual who had the scope before me didn't notice this issue since it was apparently in their possession for 3+ years and the fogging issue likely showed up a few days after it was built (in 2007). Oh well; glad USO has a good warranty or that would have been $2K+ down the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PinkGunsRSilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO is Crap </div></div>

Ditto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread brings up a couple of questions. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but... In a case like this shouldn't the seller have been contacted first, and given the opportunity to rectify the situation before his name was besmirched? I understand that the OP didn't out the seller, but it did come out as a result of the OP's post. If the new owner incurs any costs to have the scope fixed, such as shipping, shouldn't the seller pay? He might not be so willing to offer satisfaction after the fact, now that his name has been dragged thru the mud. Personally I would have contacted USO 1st, the seller 2nd, and depending on the outcome, smack talk the seller last. But thats just me...

Regards,

Rick </div></div>

Well said.

Scope is back from USO in my hands. Was fixed, listed

Problem as "Outgassing".
Fix listed as: "Complete Rebuild"
New parts used: Power Ring

There isn't any indication of the previous issue, of course.

As mentioned previously, I suspected this would be a "send it in" fix without any drama. It lived up to that and was back in my hands within 2 weeks, including shipping time both ways.

Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Wow that was fast ... congratulations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't bash the manufacturer if they're willing to make it right.</div></div>

Agree 100%. I buy a fair amount of Larue products. A couple of times I had minor problems or issues. I'd call Larue and they tell me they will send replacement item 2nd day air. Then no sooner that I get off the phone they email me a link to print a prepaid return label to ship the item back to them at their expense.

To bad they don't manufactor riflescopes too, seeing as they have probably the best customer service I've ever encountered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now I need to figure out what to do with it. </div></div>

Enjoy it.

Thanks for the update, I was confident they would make it right whatever the issue was.
The 1.8-10 makes a kickass predator scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope is back from USO in my hands. Was fixed, listed

Problem as "Outgassing".
Fix listed as: "Complete Rebuild"
New parts used: Power Ring

There isn't any indication of the previous issue, of course.

As mentioned previously, I suspected this would be a "send it in" fix without any drama. It lived up to that and was back in my hands within 2 weeks, including shipping time both ways.

Now I need to figure out what to do with it. </div></div>

Cool, I have a USO and have no problems.
It's like everything else
There's issues and no issues
There's high end and low end
There's off brands and no name brands
There's better, there's worse
Thank God, they're not calling me a hearse

Any day not six feet under is a great day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtb33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now I need to figure out what to do with it. </div></div>

Sell it and buy a premier. Seen LOTS of USO's go down. This is what happens with a custom shop vs a production shop.

USO's strength lies in being able to make whatever the hell you want in an optic. Literally. Their strength does not lie in being #1 in having the most scopes out of a thousand that don't have a problem. That honor would likely go to nightforce... even though I'm a premier lover.

When you buy custom - which is what USO's are, whether they are a so-called "production model" or not, you can expect a higher number of turds. This is true if you are talking about optics or anything else. Each manufacturer has their strengths.

Doubt my statements? Ask someone at Rifles Only about USO scopes.