• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got permission to get a new 22. Please help

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
So I'm having a hard time getting the 10/22 to run reliably.
My dad got me the gun when I was a kid.
Talked to him today and told him I'm going to end up with a bolt gun 22 anyway, and if I cant get the 10/22 to run it will just sit and got get used. He's cool with me trading it out.
Looking at a handfull of guns. Goal will be to run rimfire matches with it. Probably shoot rats at the hog feeder too.
1, I posted about this one before, Walmart has the savage MK2 in a boyds stock with a threaded bull barrel.
2, CZ AT ONE. Looks pretty nice.
3, Looking at 3 different Rugers. The 8351 is black plastic and threaded stainless barrel. The 8348 is the laminated stock with heavy threaded stainless barrel. And then the 8378 is the long range target.
The only reason I am leaning toward the Rugers is because I already have a few 10 and 25 round mags....
The Bergara looks real nice but I've heard a lot of bad things and a buddy has one that the trigger sucked and then got worse as he shot it. I dont want to spent $1,100 and then have to spend more money to replace brand new parts....
And I'm poor. So drooling at pictures of Voodoos is as close as I'll get to one....

Don't get rid of the one you have, it might just need a good cleaning.

Not the best video, but has some good info:

I haven't heard much bad about Begara, they sound solid.

If you're serious about 10/22, Kidd or VQ. We have five full Kidd rifles, they are great.

Also have a Vudoo Three 60.

Here's the thing, and I say this all the time; don't "buy what you have the money for today, save up and get what you really want". You'll save a lot of money doing that, since you won't be replacing "I could buy this today, now I want XXXX".

I assume you mean NRL22, a CZ 457 @1 and a good scope should do well for you.

If lucky the trigger will be adjustable to the range you want, if not a YoDave kit, if really unlucky then a Timney trigger.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I put a decent timney trigger on my bone stock B14r and it shoots lights out. Not as good as my full built RimX but plenty good for most stuff. It'll shoot 3/4 moa all day with bulk winchester ammo. I also had a cz455 in a Manners that shot exceptionally well. Lots of good options at the 1k-ish range.

Reactions: Arethustra
I assume you mean NRL22, a CZ 457 @1 and a good scope should do well for you.

If lucky the trigger will be adjustable to the range you want, if not a YoDave kit, if really unlucky then a Timney trigger.
Yes a 457

If you want something accurate that has a good trigger, and uses 10/22 mags...

Don't get rid of the one you have, it might just need a good cleaning.

Not the best video, but has some good info:

I haven't heard much bad about Begara, they sound solid.

If you're serious about 10/22, Kidd or VQ. We have five full Kidd rifles, they are great.

Also have a Vudoo Three 60.

Here's the thing, and I say this all the time; don't "buy what you have the money for today, save up and get what you really want". You'll save a lot of money doing that, since you won't be replacing "I could buy this today, now I want XXXX".

I took it aparta nd cleaned the hell out of it. Lubed it with 5w30 full synthetic engine oil. Ran 5 rounds though 4 mags and it ws perfect. Then started stove piping and miss feeding again. Had empty brass completly backwards in the action. Just getting frustrated. I really want to shoot a rifle match, but I know I'm not ready for a real long range centerfire match yet. Buddy of mine shoots in Goliad every month and there is another local match I'd like to shoot. But I need a gun that works.

I took it aparta nd cleaned the hell out of it. Lubed it with 5w30 full synthetic engine oil. Ran 5 rounds though 4 mags and it ws perfect. Then started stove piping and miss feeding again. Had empty brass completly backwards in the action. Just getting frustrated. I really want to shoot a rifle match, but I know I'm not ready for a real long range centerfire match yet. Buddy of mine shoots in Goliad every month and there is another local match I'd like to shoot. But I need a gun that works.
Bigger than 10 round magazines that may be contacting rests/bags/barricades?

Bigger than 10 round magazines that may be contacting rests/bags/barricades?
I've got 2 10s and 2 25s. I've only shot a Texas carbine match and 2 very small indoor USPSA pistol matches, so rifle with barricades would be new. 10s are flush.
I've got a centerfire with 5 and 10 round ACIS mags that stick out. I'd like to run it someday when I feel ready.

I've got 2 10s and 2 25s. I've only shot a Texas carbine match and 2 very small indoor USPSA pistol matches, so rifle with barricades would be new. 10s are flush.
I've got a centerfire with 5 and 10 round ACIS mags that stick out. I'd like to run it someday when I feel ready.
Unless really filthy is unusual for a 10/22 to malfunction like that unless it just hates the ammo you were using. Magazine contact and the resulting feed angle changes can cause grief, but not really an issue with the flush fit 10 round 10/22 mags.

Reactions: Mike Casselton
Why not both?

iu.jpeg

I have a TacSol 10/22 semi take down and it shoots lights out. I also have a Vudoo, my second, just to qualify my statement.

Reactions: Deplorable1
I had a Ruger Precision for a month or two..... The CZ457s are fairly nice and you can get the trigger down to 6 / 8 ounces with a
new spring. McMaster Carr #9657K611 for the .014" wire spring or the Yo-Dave size, .018" wire #9657K612.

Still all three of my 457s sit in the closet unused. I had a Vudoo and it was very nice. ( See last image ) For $1000.00 and
a $5.00 trigger mod my B14R is all I need. It's about the only rapid fire bolt that I shoot. The trigger already has the hole so all you
need do is enlarge it and tap it for a #6-32 long nose spring plunger. The plunger number is McMaster Carr #8495A11 (get the one with
the nylon thread locker) It takes about 20 minutes to do start to finish. Drill, tap, install, adjust....
It's compressed nose force is 4.5 pounds. It is shown next to the dime in photo #5. It also allows you to have an adjustable sear
in your trigger. The factory trigger is long, heavy and gritty. ( crap! ) I also replaced the bolt knob with a Vudoo knob. The rail is
an EGW and about $40.00 from evil-bay. Cheap rings, about $40.00. Junky bi-pod Pic rail adapter. $300.00 Atlas bi-pod. Nice
but pricey.
$2000.00 Trijicon 5-50x56 MOA scope.... Custom parallax wheel to use scope as a range estimator. I'm not allowed a stand alone
range estimator in FT comps and all of the distances are unknown. FT is basically simulated hunting.

Attachments

• 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
    10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 178
  • B14R first BP150 target.jpg
    B14R first BP150 target.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 159
  • bt-3.jpg
    bt-3.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 167
  • B14R TRIGGER JOB.jpg
    B14R TRIGGER JOB.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 167
Keep the 10/22 for sentimental reasons. I still have the first 22 that my dad gave me but I sold the first AR, and I regret it. You aren't going to get much for it in this market.

My first precision 22 is a CZ 455 Tacticool. I think they call it something else now, Pro Varmint or similar. It has been a fun rifle and has held up well with several thousand rounds run through it.

The B14R rifles that I have shot all worked fine. The nice part about them is the huge aftermarket that supports the Remington 700 pattern action. The Bergara feels a lot more like the real thing than the CZ.

I've not been real impressed with the Ruger offerings. Savages can be accurate but the actions feel cheap to me.

Talked to him today and told him I'm going to end up with a bolt gun 22 anyway, and if I cant get the 10/22 to run it will just sit and got get used. He's cool with me trading it out.
Looking at a handfull of guns. Goal will be to run rimfire matches with it. Probably shoot rats at the hog feeder too.
1, I posted about this one before, Walmart has the savage MK2 in a boyds stock with a threaded bull barrel.
3, Looking at 3 different Rugers. The 8351 is black plastic and threaded stainless barrel. The 8348 is the laminated stock with heavy threaded stainless barrel. And then the 8378 is the long range target.
The only reason I am leaning toward the Rugers is because I already have a few 10 and 25 round mags....
The Bergara looks real nice but I've heard a lot of bad things and a buddy has one that the trigger sucked and then got worse as he shot it. I dont want to spent $1,100 and then have to spend more money to replace brand new parts....
And I'm poor. So drooling at pictures of Voodoos is as close as I'll get to one....
Volquartsen then Tactical Solutions for semis
Voodoo for bolt

Volquartsen has a plethora of upgrades available for stock ruger platforms, so you may feel justified in upgrading as your budget allows, either right meow or over time. 😉

What kind of problems are you having with the 10/22 ? I been shooting and working on them for over 40 years and the first thing I would do with a factory 10/22 is put a volquartzen extractor in it.Also keep the chamber and extractor clean.I also own a Vudoo which is a outstanding rifle but the 10/22 is just fun to shoot.

I installed a Volquartzen firing pin and extractor. Miss fires and stuck cases are no longer happening.
I'm getting empties stove piping sideways and sometimes completely backwards blocking the bolt open.
I had started by cleaning and putting real thin synthetic grease in the receiver. Yesterday I took it apart and cleaned it out and then Lubed it up with 5w30 full synthetic. It seemed to help for about 40 rounds or so, then started doing it again. I'm thinking about taking it apart and lubing it with something even thinner.

If I could get this thing running right I would put a nice barrel on it and be done. But if I can't then its time for a bolt gun.

Like everyone else said, Keep the 10/22, you’ll appreciate it later. Find a used cz mtr for $600, b14r is a fine rifle as well but they’ll be about $1000. If you want less expensive I’ve seen ruger precision rimfire for $450 at my local shop.

I installed a Volquartzen firing pin and extractor. Miss fires and stuck cases are no longer happening.
I'm getting empties stove piping sideways and sometimes completely backwards blocking the bolt open.
I had started by cleaning and putting real thin synthetic grease in the receiver. Yesterday I took it apart and cleaned it out and then Lubed it up with 5w30 full synthetic. It seemed to help for about 40 rounds or so, then started doing it again. I'm thinking about taking it apart and lubing it with something even thinner.
The 5w30 oil may be too thick for your 10-22. i use Kidd's needle nose oiler with FP10 shooters' choice lubricant and tw-25B grease from Kidd also. https://www.coolguyguns.com/TW-25B-Grease-_p_23.html. One thing to look at is a Kidd guide rod and springs https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Bolt-Handle-Charging-Assembly-With-Guide-Rod-Springs_p_34.html The guide rod solved a stove pipe problems. Kidd will tell you the first place to look for feeding problems, is the mags. He says 10rd black only.
For a bolt gun: IMO I would not pick a gun because I have a few mags that would fit it. You will fine that other guns are a step above the Ruger's. CZ is a very good gun's. Have you looked at the Tikka T1X. My T1X will out shoot my CZ Varmint. I have not had any problems with my Bergara B14R. The big + for the B14R is it can take 700 triggers. I replaced mine with a Trigger Tech Diamond. My T1X and B14R have topped guys shooting Vudoo's and RimX's in long range steel matches.
Mark

You would be surprised how little lube it takes to run a 10/22.I use clp on mine and another thing you can do is flush the extractor out with lighter fluid after each range session.That way you will not have to remove the extractor you will be surprised how much shit can get in the extractor.

Of your options, the CZ. I have a Bergara and a RimX and the Bergara is a solid platform. Granted I switched out the trigger but not because it was awful but because I wanted a lighter pull with a flat trigger shoe. Does make a difference. With just about any REM 700 platform 22lr, there is going to be some fiddling unless you buy it from the manufacturer as a complete build. No the Bergara isn’t a RimX or a Vudoo but it’s also 1/3 the price.

On the 10/22, I just think you need to clean it. Mine is a race horse but it does need to be cleaned every 1k rounds or so.

How many guys shooting other guns "topped you"? You forgot to include that with your bragging focused on the other gun names.
SanPatHogger is asking about his 10-22 and what bolt gun to buy. I gave him info about my guns and how they shoot. I was letting him know you don't need a $3500.00 XYZ rifle and a $2500 XYZ scope to shoot these matches. And you can also win matches then guys shooting the XYZ's are there. Now as far as bragging as you say, I win the matches over all of them.

I run a long range 22LR match. New guy's show up and freak out because these $3500.00 XYZ rifle are at the match. Saying "I can't run with these guys." I tell them it is more about you knowing your gun and ammo.

Have you cleaned your magazine?
You are still using the 10 round, not those POS aftermarket 25s, right?
The factory mags can be disassembled, cleaned and put back together. They also have a feature that allows adjustment of feed pressure of the cartridge.

Also, I'd recommend a complete disassembly of the rifle so you can get the trigger and bolt properly cleaned.

Don't use a wet lube on a semi 22.
It just gives all that grit a place to collect and stay.

Find a lube that goes on wet and then dries if you absolutely feel like you need to lube it.

Remember, it's not an AR...

They come out of the factory box dry. Just sayin

😳 Not all oils are the same... Please buy a big can of RemOil...It's less than $15.00.

That could also be a big part of your issue. I can't tell you how many old timers I've seen jamming up their 12ga semi-auto on the dove fields because they use WD-40 to clean and lube their guns. That shit gets viscous and thick and sticky, and will jam up a gun when it gets hot. Use actual GUN OIL on your guns, not random oil out in the garage.

The factory mags can be disassembled, cleaned and put back together. They also have a feature that allows adjustment of feed pressure of the cartridge.

Also, I'd recommend a complete disassembly of the rifle so you can get the trigger and bolt properly cleaned.
My 10/22 started doing that a few years back, and I cleaned the magazine that had been working for nearly 20 years without issue, ran a Bore Snake through it about 5-10 times, lubed it with RemOil (wiping the excess), and it started working like a champ again. Haven't had an issue since.

I have a CZ457 At-one in my closet. I cant figure out how to msg the OP. It has all of the stuff shown on my MTR below.
Yes... I still have the factory stuff including the box and paper work. I think all of you guy's would love the Anarchy Outdoors
extended mag release. The mag just flies out of the gun in one slick, fluid motion.

Attachments

• 20210121_154630.jpg
    20210121_154630.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 96

I agree clean the magazines and trigger.When I run into a mag problem i will fill it up with lighter fluid and let it soak for 10 minutes and run a small rag inside of it to get the junk out.I use factory 10rd mags.

Last edited:
i see a-lot of shooters are giving you use full info on keeping the 10/22 running.That is what I like about this forum.

Do Not Get Rid Of That Gun! Your Dad Gave It To You When You Were A Kid!

Whether it shoots good or shoots like a pile of crusted over cow manure, it is a keepsake that will always remind you of your father, a long long time after he is gone.

Sure, get what you want, sure the old 10-22 may sit in the back of the safe. But the day will come, when you reach the back of the safe, pul it out and remember all the good times you and your dad had.

Its important, we old timers are not going to be here forever.

Damn, y'all tore it up today.
And you are right, The 10/22 stays.
I've got 2 factory 10 round mags and 2 BX25 mags. I'll clean the 10s, the 25s are new.
I will take it apart again and clean it out. There is ZERO dirt in it. I've cleaned it really deep. But I will get all the oil out and re lube it with CLP or Hoppes oil. Both here, I'll try one and then the other if needed.
A 22 does have a lot less power to run teh action, so thinner and less makes sense. My Taurus 92 runs sooo nice with 5w30, so does the AR and the 870.... Probably got carried away.
Thank you all. I'll clean up, retest and report back.

Reactions: Moose
I agree clean the magazines and trigger.When I run into a mag problem i will fill it up with litter fluid and let it soak for 10 minutes and run a small rag inside of it to get the junk out.I use factory 10rd mags.
Lighter fluid is really just Naptha. You can get a gallon of the stuff at your local big box building supply or Ace Hardware for not much more than that little bitty can of Zippo Lighter Fluid costs.
I use Naptha every time I clean any of my firearms but won't bore you with the process or the reasoning.

If I were in your position, I would pick up a CZ or a Tikka and build it up as situation and finances dictate.

As far as the 10/22 goes, I would lurk around
Rimfire Central
and try one fix at a time, starting with the free stuff. There's a number of reasons your 10/22 won't run, but luckily, none of them are hard or expensive to fix.

One of the first things you learn on Rimfire Central is DRY lubricant such as Hornady One Shot is your friend. 10/22's usually don't like to run wet. Another is scrubbing out the inside of a factory receiver with a scotchbrite pad makes for a smooth action.

Attachments

• 10273425.jpg
    10273425.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 46
  • us-220-heavy-duty-scour-pad-1-pk-ip1-jpg.jpg
    us-220-heavy-duty-scour-pad-1-pk-ip1-jpg.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Damn, y'all tore it up today.
And you are right, The 10/22 stays.
I've got 2 factory 10 round mags and 2 BX25 mags. I'll clean the 10s, the 25s are new.
I will take it apart again and clean it out. There is ZERO dirt in it. I've cleaned it really deep. But I will get all the oil out and re lube it with CLP or Hoppes oil. Both here, I'll try one and then the other if needed.
A 22 does have a lot less power to run teh action, so thinner and less makes sense. My Taurus 92 runs sooo nice with 5w30, so does the AR and the 870.... Probably got carried away.
Thank you all. I'll clean up, retest and report back.

I'll reiterate, it's not an AR.

Skip the wet lubricants.

Again, skip the wet lubricants.

They will just gum up the works and collect dirt, carbon and debris.

Dry lube, or no lube.

If you absolutely insist on lube, just get some dry graphite for it.

The Bergara looks real nice but I've heard a lot of bad things and a buddy has one that the trigger sucked and then got worse as he shot it.

Mine is stellar. Did your buddy try to get his fixed at Bergara?

Every mass producer of anything one sends out a turd every now and again. Including Ruger.

Many years ago I had a Ruger 10-22. That's about 40-45 years ago. Those little Rugers have really been around for a long time.
Firstly I found that the trigger sucked (heated the end of the spring and collapsed it a couple of coils! Yeah, rough as guts...but no worse than chopping off a couple of coils). These days you buy a nice new spring to lower the pull weight or buy a new trigger system.
Then the 'barrel band' didn't help accuracy (tossed that away and glass bedded the action/first 1" or so of barrel). Cut the forend wood back to a more sporter shape as barrel band was never going back on the rifle. My barrel band was metal, the newer ones are plastic...throw it away. They suck more than gravity too.
Then I found a US shooting magazine with full description of polishing all the action parts.
I used 1200 grit 'wet and dry' paper, plus a fine oil-stone and slicked up all the action parts. No other mods done as back then there were no add-on parts available in NZ (fancy new extractors, firing pins, etc).
Now, that polishing did a great job.
I now had a very accurate 10-22 that functioned smoothly and all it needed was a bit of fettling.
Check out You-tube for lots of videos on stripping/polishing the action.
As for using motor oil! No way.
Others have already pointed the way to go there. You mentioned Hoppes oil? Is that just the Hoppes No.9 you are meaning?
Well it's the right oil for the wrong job. Yeah, get the dry lube. Some spray on silicon lubes work well with metal. Spray on, let it dry and a tiny layer of silicon sits in/on the metal bits.
What ammo are you using? Some bulk stuff from Joe's Garage would probably not be helping either.
Yes...keep the wee Ruger. You will absolutely cherish it one day.

Edit: Oh yeah...just bought a new 'At-One' CZ457 Varmint 24" 22LR. First shoot last night (indoor benchrest). Scoped with a Leupold 45x Competition.
Did the trigger mod with lighter spring, polish the sear, etc.
Wow...can that little sucker shoot. Loving it. Get one of them and be happy.

Last edited:
If I were in your position, I would pick up a CZ or a Tikka and build it up as situation and finances dictate.

As far as the 10/22 goes, I would lurk around
Rimfire Central
and try one fix at a time, starting with the free stuff. There's a number of reasons your 10/22 won't run, but luckily, none of them are hard or expensive to fix.

One of the first things you learn on Rimfire Central is DRY lubricant such as Hornady One Shot is your friend. 10/22's usually don't like to run wet. Another is scrubbing out the inside of a factory receiver with a scotchbrite pad makes for a smooth action.
I used the scotch brite on my factory 10/22 rifles also.

One other thing you might look at is the barrel retainer screws and make sure they are tight.Many years ago i had them come loose on a 10/22 carbine.

One other thing you might look at is the barrel retainer screws and make sure they are tight.Many years ago i had them come loose on a 10/22 carbine.

Very true.
Do not overtighten them or you will break the barrel wedge in half. It's just a cheap part.