• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gotta love a Physics Professor with a sense of humor.

Anvil_X

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
AK
Physics 124 practice test question:

You are sitting peacefully at rest next to a campfire one night and suddenly a bear comes crashing out of the woods and runs at you. this very angry and very talented bear is singing as it runs toward you, emitting a perfect pitch "middle C" f=262Hz. However, you hear the pitch of the bear's voice as f=524Hz. How fast is the bear running with respect to you, the observer? (Vsound=340m/s)

lol yeah, I got 170 m/s too. I do believe that bear is on something.

I think the point is (now that i've had time to think about it) that 170 m/s is a tad too fast for a bear (though i believe "middle C" is also a tad too high). The only tune people hear (by 1st hand accounts of those who had made it) is the brown note sometimes mixed with yellow...

Yeah, he said the ridiculous speed was part of the joke, and laughed pretty heartily when I ran into him this morning and said "That bear may be moving at 170m/s, but my bullet's moving at 513 m/s"

The Awesome thing was that the actual test I took this afternoon included a 4 part barrel harmonics question.

Yeah, he said the ridiculous speed was part of the joke, and laughed pretty heartily when I ran into him this morning and said "That bear may be moving at 170m/s, but my bullet's moving at 513 m/s"
In your reference frame or the bear's?

my reference frame. can't push a 525 grain beartooth bullet out of a 45/70 any faster than 1670 FPS. but 513+170..... that's 7951 Joules. That Bear's gonna have a bad day. anybody know any good formulae for hydrostatic shock?

caliber of the bullet is .460, metplat diameter is .357 (in inches)

I had a physics prof that gave us funny questions like your's did. It really helped me remember the material.

My answer would have been, "The bears speed is irrelevant. MY speed would only have to be .5m FPS faster than the guy I'm with."