• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Green vs. Red lasers

Tactical22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
SC
I have never used or seen a green laser during daytime use, but I understand they are significantly brighter. Is it worth getting over a red laser? I'm looking for a combined "pistol" light/laser to put on a rifle. Any suggestions? I was looking at Viridian and Beamshot, but it looks like the only battery options are CR2 or integral rechargeable. It would be nice to stick with CR123s or AAS (I doubt it), just so I don't have to add ANOTHER battery type to my load out.

Re: Green vs. Red lasers

Never used the laser/ light combo by either of the company's you listed. I do how ever have a green and a red laser made for rifles. Neither laser will shine the full distance in the daytime, at night they will however. My Green laser can be seen at over twice the distance in direct sun light compared to a red laser made by the same company.

I am not sure what kind of weapon you are mounting the laser on that would require a two in one set unless that's just what you want. Which is fine but it does limit some of your options in the long run. IF and IF you have the option of using a seperate laser/ light you can get a brighter light and have more options for the laser side of things. Good luck with your new toys.

Neither one is very visible in daylight.

The green is noticeably brighter to me at night. It also eats up batteries a lot quicker

Care to pass on which brand your using?

Planning on putting it on a multi-purpose precision battle rifle .308 AR variant. Trying to save weight and railestate on the streamlined VTAC tube.

I have a new in the packaging LaserMax LMS-UNI-G Rail Mounted unit for sale HERE

It is a very light, versatile, and very bright green laser.

2gsk8ig.jpg

you should also be aware that many of the green lasers are visible for the entire beam length (like a tracer), where as the reds only show up as a dot on the target. Both will give you away if you look right at the wielder of course.

Probably not a big issue unless you are on a two way range, but thought i'd throw it out there.

I have the Veridian on one of my AR's and one of my Glocks. It is very very bright during the day. Before I bought mine, I went to my local gun shop and they let me take it outside to test it. You should do that first.

Check the operational temp of the green laser. I have found that on most green style lasers, they will not work in the cold (I think it may be a function of reduced battery power at lower temps). That said, I am not a laser kind of guy, and it has been a while since I looked at one.

"The green technology is temperature sensitive, and most green lasers have a narrow operating range, typically 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit. LaserMax used proprietary technology to engineer the 5 mW Uni-Greens to work between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. If you need a Uni-Max to work at significantly colder or hotter temperatures, the red Uni-Max may be a better option for you." <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> Stolen from LaserMax Website <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> ........
"
My $0.02

Well then, some things to think about
smirk.gif

Let me put it this way:

I want this rifle to be as light of an LR 308 as practically possible. (18" standard barrel with a 15" VTAC free float.) The plan was to run a Harris with D-Loc on the front at 6 (duh), Magpul AFG 2 on the middle at 6 (again, duh), and a lightweight, compact light/laser in between 7 and 11 where I can reach them from the AFG. The plan is a Multi-purpose precision battle rifle with BUIS and a USO SN-4 that is capable of 0-800yrds.

Never used a green laser, but because of the supposed advantage for day shooting, and the fact that the SN-4 is not exactly ideal for CQB, I was thinking I would give it a try.

Maybe I could run a light at 11 and a LaserMax at 7? Maybe even a red AND green laser at 7, to keep my options open...

What would you guys do?

Green, with its 532nm wave length will appear to be over 5 times brighter than a red laser with its 650nm wave length, power levels being the same. This is due to the green being closer to the center of the color spectrum, which is easier for the human eye to pick up.

That being said, with the 5mw lasers (largest by law) available, neither will stand out in bright sunlight. Overcast or early/late day light, you should be able to pick up either, with the green appearing to be a bit stronger.

For shits and giggles, the picture below is a 435mw green (burning capabilities) laser that I used to lase targets at the OFAST shoot a couple of years back. The berm that the beam is terminating on is about 250-300 yds out, early evening in June. That beam can be seen easily in daylight.
Steve
P1120956.jpg

Red is the best overall color for the human eye to pick up, both day and night. Green is the best for Day only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The male human eye sees green better than it does red. </div></div>

Also picks up boobs better......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red is the best overall color for the human eye to pick up, both day and night. Green is the best for Day only.</div></div>

Not true. Greenish yellow is the most receptive color to the human eye, under all conditions.

www.powertechnology.com/PDFs/WP_eyecolorsensitivity.pdf

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...mp;searchtype=a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red is the best overall color for the human eye to pick up, both day and night. Green is the best for Day only.</div></div> The human eye sees the color green something like 20x brighter than it does red dude. Owned and been issued both green and red lasers...I wouldn't waste any of my time on red lasers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red is the best overall color for the human eye to pick up, both day and night. Green is the best for Day only.</div></div> The human eye sees the color green something like 20x brighter than it does red dude. Owned and been issued both green and red lasers...I wouldn't waste any of my time on red lasers. </div></div>

Why do your flashlights have red covers and not green for reading maps at night?

laugh.gif

Hint: It's not because the enemy can see red from further away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red is the best overall color for the human eye to pick up, both day and night. Green is the best for Day only.</div></div> The human eye sees the color green something like 20x brighter than it does red dude. Owned and been issued both green and red lasers...I wouldn't waste any of my time on red lasers. </div></div>

Why do your flashlights have red covers and not green for reading maps at night?

laugh.gif

Hint: It's not because the enemy can see red from further away. </div></div>

To preserve night vision... but I have a feeling that this was a rhetorical question.

Reactions: Redheeler

All right, look, I started this post to discuss weapon lasers, not debate colors. For what it is worth: from the medical perspective, red is the first color we are able to distinguish as babies, and the last color that we lose the ability to distinguish when we are old. Red, Blue, and Green (called spectral colors) are the easiest to see because there is no overlap in the spectrum. Were done talking about colors, OK? If you want, open another thread. Back to lasers...

I owned a viridian with led light for my pistol. The green is truly awesome in its intensity. That being said, I felt it was way too bright in dark conditions and blinding. If you wanted it for daylight or lower light conditions it would be great. Inside a home painting a target with a flashlight backing it up, I would rather have red.That being said, I ended up hating the viridian. Had my first one a couple months, didn't really use it much and it burned out.Sent it back and got another and it sat there for a month or so barely used and it flashed out too. Turns out the the batteries get eaten up even when not in use. Dumbest thing I have seen for a product that it too be used on a defence weapon that is supposed to be there for an emergency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All right, look, I started this post to discuss weapon lasers, not debate colors. For what it is worth: from the medical perspective, red is the first color we are able to distinguish as babies, and the last color that we lose the ability to distinguish when we are old. Red, Blue, and Green (called spectral colors) are the easiest to see because there is no overlap in the spectrum. Were done talking about colors, OK? If you want, open another thread. Back to lasers... </div></div>

Your title asks red or green lasers. This is what you asked for isnt it?

I have both red & green in many makes I like both but green in low light daylight is best for me. I have a unit like tiger bikes had for sale in green and they are nice but if you bump the laser they turn on easy and there goes the battery . I paid around 200.00 for mine used but they list much higher like 350.00 and I have a beam shot in green and I really like that one it larger but switch is right on so if you can find a beam shot cheap I say go for it . In red crimson trace is the only brand I like but you pay for the name hope this helps both colors are useful in there choice of uses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All right, look, I started this post to discuss weapon lasers, not debate colors... </div></div>Your title asks red or green lasers. This is what you asked for isnt it?</div></div> Retard forgot what his initial post was about.
smirk.gif

26914893.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiwiShtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All right, look, I started this post to discuss weapon lasers, not debate colors... </div></div>Your title asks red or green lasers. This is what you asked for isnt it?</div></div> Retard forgot what his initial post was about.
smirk.gif

26914893.png
</div></div>

hes asking for recomendations on specific brands of lazer in a comparison of cost to yield, as in is the green worth the additional expense over the red. he did NOT ask for a 30 post long thread of dudes throwing shots at eachother and jerking themselves off to the sound of their own typing while imagining the face of the guy on the other end while they are reading his retort. but im sorry, im sure hes too retarded to understand what he wrote, yeah thats probably more likely. . . . my bad. . .you just super smart. get over yourself. if you dont have a valid imput, just dont say anything. i clicked on this hoping to read some valuble information on veridian lazers in case i ever decided to purchase one for my girlfriends handgun. and all i read was a few viable inputs and a ton of trash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...all i read was a few viable inputs and a ton of trash. </div></div> Is this your first time on the internet?

I have both the Viridian X5L and the Crimson Trace on two separate P229's. For Home defense I use the X5L because of the light. Overall I am very pleased with the X5L the controls are easy to manipulate and the beam is very bright (much brighter than my Crimson Trace). The light itself is very white and bright enough for positive identification of what your shooting at.

The only downside as you stated was the CR2 3V batteries for the Viridian. They are a bit of a bitch to find and only one store stocks them where I live. The Crimson Trace uses CR2032 batteries which are pretty common.

Short answer YES the green laser trumps the red in terms of visibility. A combined light laser combo is worth it imo for a HD gun but if you were to use the X5L in a Holster I would be cautious as the buttons on the sides won't lend well to that. If you would like picture comparisons send me a PM and I will try to post some tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...all i read was a few viable inputs and a ton of trash. </div></div> Is this your first time on the internet? </div></div>

no, and the fact that this was all you got from that entire paragraph lets me know your working hard to keep the tradition of reactionary retardation alive. thanks for doing your part, your performing a great service to us all by keeping the internet full of pointless jibberish. good job.

No need for a laser, run a surefire scout and if your using an optic mount a set of irons at a 45degree angle. Lasers are extra weight and something to get caught on going through a doorway or out of a vehicle. I wouldnt want to use one past 10 meters and if your that close irons will do fine, so will pointing and shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well then, some things to think about
smirk.gif

Let me put it this way:

I want this rifle to be as light of an LR 308 as practically possible. (18" standard barrel with a 15" VTAC free float.) The plan was to run a Harris with D-Loc on the front at 6 (duh), Magpul AFG 2 on the middle at 6 (again, duh), and a lightweight, compact light/laser in between 7 and 11 where I can reach them from the AFG. The plan is a Multi-purpose precision battle rifle with BUIS and a USO SN-4 that is capable of 0-800yrds.

Never used a green laser, but because of the supposed advantage for day shooting, and the fact that the SN-4 is not exactly ideal for CQB, I was thinking I would give it a try.

Maybe I could run a light at 11 and a LaserMax at 7? Maybe even a red AND green laser at 7, to keep my options open...

What would you guys do? </div></div>

First I'd be a bit more polite, referencing your response regarding ending the discussion about colors and opening a new thraed. In your original post you stated that you
1) "I have never used or seen a green laser during daytime use"
2)" I understand they are significantly brighter. Is it worth getting over a red laser? "

I understood this to mean that you weren't sure about which color to go with, and that folks here merely offered their opinions as to what color would be a better application.

Perhaps you would have been better served if your post wast titled "Green vs Red lasers; which brand and model to go with?"

As to your application for a 308 rifle, I would heed Whiskeyone55's suggestion. For that close of a range, irons are just fine. Sounds like you're going to have enough shit hanging off your stick as it is. IF you are dead set on getting on, here are some links you may wish to look into.
Steve

http://www.laserdevices.com/index.cfm/c-Aiming_Lasers.htm

http://www.aimshot.com/GreenLaserSights.php

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Laser-Sights.html