• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grendel

army_eod

Retired Army
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
AL
Didn’t know where to put it so I’ll just put it here.

1F117101-DE0C-4C9C-8957-C8D849B4A1FF.jpeg
8BABB191-F6A1-4078-92AF-21287F4207DB.jpeg

Grendel Hunter upper with 20 in bbl. It is their brake. Spikes Tactical lower with Geissele two stage trigger. Aero Precision BCG. Weaver Tactical 3-15 FFP with illuminated EMDR reticle. Really a great optic for $500 from Natchez Shooters Supply. It is a Satern bbl. Pretty accurate with Hornady Black ELD.

Reactions: bobke
So far all I have done is zeroed it at 100 yard indoor range. Got to get to the outdoor range.

Nice build. Is that a Satern/Liberty or one of their cut rifled barrels? Will you be reloading or shooting factory ammo? If reloading, have found AR Comp to be very forgiving and even tempered in my Grendel’s. Give your barrel some range time to settle in, accuracy seems to stabilize once you have 50-75 rounds down range. Well done at the front end, and the Weavers are a value, as you’ve noted.

Reactions: army_eod
By the way, that brake is very effective at recoil reduction and is not really loud. Of course, the rifle as you see it approaches 10 lbs. So no recoil anyway.

Classy looking Grendel.

Mine are a bit more conventional looking, a 20" and a 24', both with AR Stoner (Satern/Liberty?) barrels. The 20" is an off the rack AR stoner Upper, the 24" is a homebuilt employing AR Stoner components exclusively. The bores of the barrels scope out as just plain beautiful.

My 74 Y/O carcass, 110 days above 100 degrees, and the Covid Lockdown has kept the rifles at home.

Just before the lockdown, the rifles were function tested, zeroed, and did some initial load testing. They worked reliably, had conventional/average accuracy, and it appears there's potential for improvement with more load testing.

One thing though, the 24" had issues with excessively hot loads, snapping an extractor. The extractor has been replaced with a JP Enhanced Grendel Extractor, and loads have been completely redesigned to use only lightweight bullets, and to stay well within recommended pressures.

However, since then, during the Lockdown, each rifle has had extensive upgrades including 2-stage triggers, conversion from 6 position collapsible carbine stocks to extended Choate E-3 stocks and A2 buffers, and been rescoped with Bushnell AR Drop Zone BDC reticle scopes. There has also been the addition of a 20" PSA PA-10 308 with an identical configuration and optics options. All loads have also been reconverted to employ Speer Gold Dot projectiles. New loads are ready, using IMR-8208XBR, TAC, and W-748. Essentially, if an AR can benefit from being reconfigured as a bag rider, these guns will handle that configuration especially well.

So everything is right back to square one. I'm looking at sometime in the next few weeks as the target date for hitting the range with initial testing of the whole new shebang.

Wish me luck.

Greg

Last edited: