• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Griffin taper mount - any problems?

NHR

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2018
Hey all - I'm getting ready to buy my first can. I was originally thinking Trash Panda, but I'm not thrilled with having one muzzle device option. I was ready to buy a Nomad until I saw the new Griffin Explorr show up.

The specs look great on it- weight, length, etc right where I want to be. They also sell every type of MD you could hope for.

My question is this: does anyone have experience with Griffin taper mounts? Any issues? Good RTZ? I realize the threads are forward of the taper and that may require some cleaning.

ETA: this will be used on a 16" AR for the near term but I have plans to use it on a bolt gun in the future.

I use the taper mounts for a Recce 7. Use the Recce and taper mounts on a semi-auto SPRish clone in 5.56, and a Gradous custom 7-300 WM. The lock up is great, no back off, and the can works great, shoots about 3 inches straight up from non-suppressed POI at 100. This site definitely has their favorite manufacturer, but Griffin makes an awesome product. I have a Recce 7, Spartan (super underrated can), and Resistance 9.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Just picked up my Griffin Paladin this morning. Haven't shot it yet, but it appears to work almost identical to my SAS T.O.M.B. brakes which work great so I'm confident they'll work just fine.

I have a griffin Recce 5 that’s been used for over a year now. Returns to zero, good lock up, never backs off, and doesn’t affect accuracy in a negative way.

I just take a cloth and wipe the carbon on the inside of the suppressor where the taper is and the threads after I am done shooting. Never had an issue with the suppressor getting stuck due to fowling.

Wiping it after each range session isn’t even required. I just do it out of habit.

I have 2-Griffin Recce 7's, An Optimus and a new Optimus Micro. I have several rifles with both the regular and the mini taper mounts on them. I have had no problems with any Griffin products. They don't seem to get much mention on SH, but I sure like mine.

That's where I am as well. The Vox, Nomad, and Explorr are all very close in price and functionality. Vox is unobtabium though, so really it's down to Nomad vs Explorr.

The Explorr is a bit lighter and comes with a mount, but you're locked into the Griffin system. No idea how it performs though

I've run a recce 5 for a very long time. Never an issue with the mounts. In a previous job I shot a lot of their stuff and always found it good. They're a solid performer for not stupid high money. Even ran a recce 7 on a bolt rifle for a few matches. Griffin and TBAC are what got me hooked on taper mounts.

No problems with 2 Recce 5’s. I also have 2 M4SDK’s, a Revolution 9, a Checkmate, and a .30 cal Paladin that should come out of jail soon. Probably going to get the Paladin 5 next for yote hunting. I like these Paladins for hunting and my practice, volume guns since they can be cleaned thoroughly and easily. I leave the Recce’s and M4SDKs for defense guns (a Saker in there too for variety!).

I use the white anti-seize lube they recommend on all my taper mounts and have zero issues. Believe I ordered it from McMaster Carr. It’s food grade, so no biggie if you accidentally lick it off. Don’t do that after it’s been carboned-up, though, ha ha! I also use the same stuff on my ASR mount for my Saker 556K, FYI.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I've had a Recce 5 for years. 30 cal Explorr was just ordered. On paper it's a heck of a can. I don't expect to be disappointed. It's stupid light and FA rated.

No issues with the taper mount on my Recce 5. Works great on my SBR. I run direct thread cans on my bolt guns.

No issues with the taper mount on my Recce 5. Works great on my SBR. I run direct thread cans on my bolt guns.
Do you have a pic of the recce 5 on your sbr? Im leaning heavily towards that can for my ar pistol. Does it really only extend the overall length by 4 inches as apposed to the whole length of the can?

I personally think griffin oversells the length added to the end. The back of the suppressor is basically flush with the shoulder of the barrel. Not much different from any other setup.

It’s a small can but works well.

^ their whole length added schtick is subtracting the longest length muzzle device that works for their suppressor to the back of the taper. The Recce is is not a reflex suppressor. Great suppressor, IMO, but a little misleading on the length added...

Wish they would bring back their SPR reflex suppressor. I like their muzzle device option as opposed the the whole two piece collar Ops Inc/AEM design. That suppressor would decrease overall length a bit compared to other QD suppressors, but not a ton. The supposed super low backpressure combined with their one-piece mount is why I think that one would be great on a 20” heavy SDM type rifle.

Reactions: vigildom7
^ their whole length added schtick is subtracting the longest length muzzle device that works for their suppressor to the back of the taper. The Recce is is not a reflex suppressor. Great suppressor, IMO, but a little misleading on the length added...

Wish they would bring back their SPR reflex suppressor. I like their muzzle device option as opposed the the whole two piece collar Ops Inc/AEM design. That suppressor would decrease overall length a bit compared to other QD suppressors, but not a ton. The supposed super low backpressure combined with their one-piece mount is why I think that one would be great on a 20” heavy SDM type rifle.
Have you looked at AMTAC for over the barrel suppressors.

It's an easy choice for me, if you get the Nomad you can use pretty much any decent QD mount and DT. If you go with the Griffin you're stuck with their muzzle devices forever and always. Price and probably performance are better on the Nomad, the one benefit of the Explorr is that it's ~ 2 oz lighter (both set up to run taper mounts, a little less with a DT mount). Seems like a lot of cons for that one pro.

I got the free Griffin mount with my Nomad, I think it looks nice, but if I have problems with it getting locked on or coming loose, I can ditch it and use whatever I want. That flexibility is worth a lot to me on a lifetime purchase. It was a tossup for me between the Vox S and the Nomad, but the Vox was out of stock everywhere and I found a Nomad for <$600. I've already got suppressors that lock me to one muzzle device and I'm not a big fan of the lack of choice these days, so the Explorr line wouldn't get much consideration.

I've got Griffin taper mounts on a few cans and have had no issues whatsoever. The threads being ahead of the taper doesn't have any effect due to the taper not allowing any gas flow in that direction. I also use the white lube for all of my threads and tapers and it works very well and cleans up easy. I have a Recce 7 that's been awesome. I have an Optimus Micro that I use a bunch on a 223 that has the taper mount adapter on it and I even put the Plan "A" on my Silencerco Omega so that I could use it on all the barrels I already had set up for Griffin mounts. I've never had one back off at all after hand tightening. Roughly calculated you will need twice the torque to loosen the can that you used to tighten it.
The folks at Griffin are great to work with and if they don't answer the phone, they are quick to call back or to answer an email.

I have been looking at their Plan A adapter for my Omega. I am thinking about getting one of their Paladins as well. I like that the Paladin breaks down by the user for cleaning. My Omega is feeling a little heavier these days, and there doesn't seem to be a good solution to cleaning it, per the other thread.
It is good to hear people are liking their mount, as it will be simpler to switch between the cans if i can convert the Omega while i wait for the Paladin.

Griffin copies other mfg's. Damn near identically copies them sometimes.

So chances are EXTREMELY HIGH some other manufacturer already developed it and it's in use already elsewhere with good results!

Reactions: LeadZeke
Do you have a pic of the recce 5 on your sbr? Im leaning heavily towards that can for my ar pistol. Does it really only extend the overall length by 4 inches as apposed to the whole length of the can?
I believe mine extends the length nearly the full length of the can. I am running the minimalist brake so there is about 1" of brake that goes inside the can.

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
I have an AMTAC. My only issue is mine comes loose after a couple mags through the 308 bolt gun. Gotta keep an eye on it.
Just throwing this out there-Amtac advice:

I don’t yet own a suppressor, but this seems like good advice (the first part, at least).

If you don’t want to watch it, he says:

1) Suppressors get hot at a different rate than the barrel. That’s why DT ones loosen. So after 10 quick shots, retighten.

2) If you can’t do that, then he uses a A2 lock washer. Commenters berated him, but he stands by using that particular washer…he’s a suppressor manufacturer, so, ? I dunno.

Just throwing this out there-Amtac advice:

I don’t yet own a suppressor, but this seems like good advice (the first part, at least).

If you don’t want to watch it, he says:

1) Suppressors get hot at a different rate than the barrel. That’s why DT ones loosen. So after 10 quick shots, retighten.

2) If you can’t do that, then he uses a A2 lock washer. Commenters berated him, but he stands by using that particular washer…he’s a suppressor manufacturer, so, ? I dunno.

Interesting...thanks for sharing. I’ll have to look into that because I’ve had it come loose and then missed at 1k badly. Tightened the can and hit the steel.

"IF you have good threads and IF you have a good suppressor, you're not going to have any problems with baffle strikes- because threads are naturally self centering." This is what they guy in the video said. "IF" is a very dangerous word. IF I were to go this route, I'd damned sure check concentricity with a ground rod of appropriate diameter before dropping the hammer on a live cartridge. And, because a crush washer crushes, as a function of its design, will you always have the same poi? Shoot and snug seems to be the better option. When do you not have the option to snug down a warm suppressor?

I just picked up my .30 cal Paladin last week. Now I need to build my Grendel I have all the parts for! Haven’t decided on if Im going to get another .30 cal Paladin or the new 5.56 Paladin next...

Reactions: GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT
We've sold more taper mount cans than any other. 10's of thousands of muzzle devices have been shipped over the ~7 years of manufacturing them and there have been very minimal returns (less than 1% usually out of just personal preference for another device in the family). The taper mounts are extremely well made in our Turning dept, the level of QC is extremely high. Thanks for all the positive comments from the members, it will be fun to be interactive with you guys again as we're opening up more budgeting for marketing.

-Evan co-owner / operations guy, Griffin

So I am a mechanical engineer that works with high precision design where 0.0002" variance is a big deal. Threads are not a good way to obtain axial alignment in two mating components. Tapers are a much better way of achieving this especially with the shallow tapers used in the Griffin adapters and the like. Shallow tapers also have self-locking properties such that you do not need to be concerned with the two components unscrewing from each other during firing.

EDIT: I have a Griffin taper on my Suppressor and am very happy with it.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, here is a link to the latest episode of our podcast where Austin goes in depth on the history, concept, design and function of the time-tested and proven Griffin Taper Mount Interface!

Taper Mount Kings: The History and Development of Griffin's Taper Mount Interface

1200x1200icon.jpg