• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lithium for 9mm Handgun: BC, Baskets, and EZ/CAM Loc Pistons

mebgardner

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2024
Arizona
Edit: I had a master machinist tell me I should be more careful with the amount of decimal place precision that I indicate. I do not own the required tools to give the precision that is likely needed here. I thought about taking this post down, but I think the info is still of value, because only one parts manufacturer actually gives the measurements on these parts (the shop belongs to that master machinist, and you likely know of them). Everyone else, you gotta ask... and ask... and ask...

I dont have to post this stuff, but I'm doing it because one of you might find it useful. Thats it, really. I hope it helps someone here.

------------------

I did some prelim fit testing today on 2 examples of OCL Lithium HUB suppressor.

The Yankee Hill Mfg HUB 1.375x24" YHM-2055 Nielsen Booster Basket at 1.5" length does indeed fit into the OCL Lithium BC at 1.4" depth. (Measures from 1 25/64" to 1 26/64" deep).

That's pretty remarkable, and OCL does this by extending the blast baffle cone *into* the interior of the piston/basket ID. It is a close fit in there, but it will fit and function reliably without mashing things. This means the Ecco Machine HUB Booster at 1.5" will also likely fit. The Griffin HUB Booster will probably *not* fit at 1.55" (number from Griffin CS) into Lithium. Rearden does not make a booster.

I also fit two different Piston parts into the YHM Basket, for a fit check. The YHM-2060-28 Nielsen Piston 0.5"x28 DT fits of course.

The better news is the Griffin CAM and EZ Loc Pistons also fit into the YHM basket. The 0.75" barrel diameter, the 1.0" 10 pin index flange diameter, and the 2.0" (measures approx 1/32" longer than 2"), make them virtually identical to any other makers DT piston part. That means, if you like the CAM or EZ Loc idea, it's a piston swap and a Griffin muzzle device mount to obtain it. It should fit and function.

Dont expect Griffin pistons to fit and / or function into the Ecco Machine Bravo BPISTIN booster basket. The pistons are likely very slightly too large diameter at the flange.

YHM HUB 1.375"x24 Booster assemblies, are OOS everywhere right now. Unobtanium.

Last edited:
Still looking for a substitute for the unobtanium YHM-2055 booster, for use with the OCL Lithium. Out of Stock everywhere.

I received a reply from SilencerCo CS today, with their HUB booster basket measurements.

For this:

I requested these measurements:
1) Body Length, from flange shoulder (the mating surface of the HUB can mount) to the front of the booster basket. Looking for about 1.5" length.
2) Body diameter. Looking for something about 1.06" to 1.125"
3) Body Exit Hole at the Front of the Basket. Looking for about 0.75"

They gave me these answers:
1) Approximately 1.61"
2) I believe this one was referring to the diameter of the "basket". Let me know if that is incorrect. That measurement would be about 1.106"
3) .816"

So, this one is too long at 1.61". That would hit the blast baffle cone.

Thanks for the tip.

I've already bought Griffin CAM-LOC pistons, and the requisite taper muzzle mount parts. For use on 9mm handgun.

It's the Booster that can not be obtained, and YHM is silent on how long the wait will be before more are available.

I can be patient and wait for YHM parts to restock. Or, I can help Andrew and John at OCL by doing some legwork for them to find subsitute parts. They are a small shop, and I like them both. I have the time and inclination, so I'll help.

Thanks for the tip.

I've already bought Griffin CAM-LOC pistons, and the requisite taper muzzle mount parts. For use on 9mm handgun.

It's the Booster that can not be obtained, and YHM is silent on how long the wait will be before more are available.

I can be patient and wait for YHM parts to restock. Or, I can help Andrew and John at OCL by doing some legwork for them to find subsitute parts. They are a small shop, and I like them both. I have the time and inclination, so I'll help.
You could still use that adapter ring, and use a Dead Air Ghost Neilson device and use the Griffin pistons (they make some that work with the DA Ghost mount), and get the tri-lug that way you have both mounting options.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 8.01.39 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith E.
You could still use that adapter ring, and use a Dead Air Ghost Neilson device and use the Griffin pistons (they work with the DA Ghost mount), and get the tri-lug that way you have both mounting options.

View attachment 8382335
That's a great idea, thanks!

There's a couple more booster manufacturers I'm still working through: Griffin, and Ecco. I don't know of any other mfgrs that make these parts, so the list is not long. I'm not building PCCs, and they are not on my radar at all (right now, anyway). Im told that tri-lug is limited to mostly fixed barrel PCC power levels, and is not suitable for fixed barrel at much above that power. So, I don't see that I need tri-lug mount capability.

I think you have a brilliant backup plan, tho. Thank You!

That's a great idea, thanks!

There's a couple more booster manufacturers I'm still working through: Griffin, and Ecco. I don't know of any other mfgrs that make these parts, so the list is not long. I'm not building PCCs, and they are not on my radar at all (right now, anyway). Im told that tri-lug is limited to mostly fixed barrel PCC power levels, and is not suitable for fixed barrel at much above that power. So, I don't see that I need tri-lug mount capability.

I think you have a brilliant backup plan, tho. Thank You!
Make sure the pistons you already have are the same ones that will work with the DA Ghost/Wolfman mount... They make different ones, so make sure they're the right ones before trying to get them to fit/work.

Yes, tri-lug is not designed to be used on tilt-barrel firearms. It is designed to be used on fixed-barrel systems, like PCC's and MP5's. You will still need to use the Neilson booster setup on any pistols with tilting barrel actions.

I thought in another thread you were wanting a 9mm PCC can, and were considering the Lithium? This is why I mention tri-lug. Also, yes, that adapter ring and the DA mounting systems would allow you the versatility to easily swap it between pistols and PCC's just by quickly swapping out the mount.

Reactions: Keith E.
Make sure the pistons you already have are the same ones that will work with the DA Ghost/Wolfman mount... They make different ones, so make sure they're the right ones before trying to get them to fit/work.

Will do, I will re-check the details. The screen you sent said CAM-LOC, and that's what I have.

If I proceed down this backup plan path, I would then make a request with Andrew at OCL to check the clearances, too.

I thought in another thread you were wanting a 9mm PCC can, and were considering the Lithium? This is why I mention tri-lug. Also, yes, that adapter ring and the DA mounting systems would allow you the versatility to easily swap it between pistols and PCC's just by quickly swapping out the mount.

So, that's almost correct. I was (and still am) looking at Lithium for handgun, and "intermediate" power rifle duty. I don't know if "intermediate" is the right terminology for 300 BLK Supers and 6.8 SPC rifles. So, not PCC or pistol caliber subguns. Lithium specs indicate it should manage (tolerate?) those power levels on an "hunting" use shooting schedule easily. That I am able choose one can to move about like that just astonishes me.

That the same can can be that light weight, and that strong, and move between completely different platforms, well I'm amazed.

One more option down: Griffin HUB 1.375"x24 Booster.

They would give me only one measurement, but it may be enough to disqualify it for use with a Lithium can (with it's 1.4" blast chamber depth).

I asked:
"Please tell me how much depth this booster requires into a blast chamber from the rear reference flat?"

Their answer:
"The depth is 1.55"

That extra 50 thousandths, without any relief (extra diameter) in the basket exit hole diameter, means the booster basket, or the piston, would likely hit the blast baffle cone.

The engineering final answer would be up to OCL, but I dont believe I will risk it.

One remaining possibility: Ecco Machine's booster. (Or, @FuhQ 's backup plan).

The YHM Booster parts are back in stock now, available at MidwayUSA.

I did hear back from John at OCL regarding use of Griffin Cam-Loc piston parts on Lithium, .vs using YHM pistons within the YHM booster basket.

Using a micrometer able to read to 5 decimal places, I miked the index flange of each piston. I miked across each of the 5 index points on each flange (10 points / 2 per span). They each measured consistently (to close tolerance) across each of the spans for that part.

I sent John these measurements:

The Griffin CAM-LOC part flange measured 0.99015" +/- 0.00010.

The YHM DT part flange measured 0.99300 +/- 0.00010

The Griffin piston barrel measures 0.74850" +/- 0.00010

The YHM piston barrel measures 0.74950 +/- 0.00010

His reply:
"Just looking at those numbers, if they fit they are definitely good to use interchangeably."

So, I'm closing out my comments on this thread with what I have learned, but there does not appear to be much interest.

Last edited: