• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grills: charcoal vs pellet vs propane

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
99% of my life I have cooked on propane.

This summer my interest in cooking over charcoal and pellets has increased.

I have never used a pellet grill, but my brother in law swears by them - ease of use, cleaning, and perfect cooking.

My best friend swears by charcoal.

$300 and under is what the wife has agreed to.

I do like if I need to cook quickly propane is ready. I’m sure the others could be close with planning and time management, or am I wrong?

What says “The Hide”?
thanks

I also cooked on propane my entire life. My dad has 2 pellet grills and talked me into it so I bought one last summer. I LOVE it. I use it multiple times a week, year round. I bought a Pit Boss 1100 Pro Series and the thing is awesome. My biggest worry was waiting forever to cook waiting for it to heat up and all. Not the case with this one. Its ready to go and heated up in 5min or so. You can smoke, you can grill like a normal grill, bake. Huge hopper for pellets. Dual meat probes, I just stick it in and watch the digital readout to pull it off.

I used propane up until my weber gas grill fell apart. I tried a pellet grill and wasn't happy so now my wife cooks on a weber kettle grill.

about two months ago, i was turned onto something that ends the debate. it’s called the a-maze-en smoker tube.

whether you have propane, or charcoal (i prefer charcoal) the smoker tube renders either choice viable. the slam on the propane is you couldnt get the flavor you could with charcoal. with the smoker tube, that’s over. can use it with with charcoal grill, too.

cold smoking? yup, just dont turn the heat on or light the fire.

check them out. it adds a whole ‘nother level to your grilling options. and NO, i am not affiliated with them in any manner. it’s just a fantastic option my brother turned me onto.

It all depends.
Do you like smoking stuff too?
Can do on either, though you are limited on volume and soze more on a weber kettle.

I am of the opinion that if you are looking for the very best taste, charcoal is the way to go. Lump, not briquets.

That said, pellet grills are stupid easy and take very little work to make really really delicious food. I am prepping an 8lb pork shoulder right now to go on mine as I leave for church this AM.

As for propane, I use it too. I could always taste it on a cheap grill and when done incorrectly.
Used right I never taste it. I use a weber genesis 3 series. Maybe move up to the summit if I ever get the itch, but this thing is working so far......

I would like to have all three eventually. I did have a charcoal grill with side smoker attachment once - I thought that setup is what I had to have - but sold it in less than 2 months and about 8 cooks.

My assessment on cooking with a side smoker - it's an art that takes research, experiementation, skill, and experience.

I told my wife I should have bought a pellet grill. Set and forget. No skill on the cooking temp required - just meat prep. However, that opinion is coming from ignorance and no experience.

For a beginner smoker/griller/bbq guy it seems the pellet is the way to go - one doesn't waste money on meat, coals, etc during the learning process.

For my family, my life on the proprane grill has been 99% burgers, pork tenderloin, and chicken. That's it - not too difficult.

I'm wanting to branch out into the ribs, brisket, and pork butts.

I have always overlooked the Weber kettle grill, but after researching them over the past week - as far as charcoal goes - it seems like the best option for a beginner or even experienced griller. My eyes were opened.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I have a RecTec smoker and two nat gas grills. Smokers are best for ribs, chops, shrimp, prime rib roasts, etc.
Normally you run them at about 250, but theyll go to 450 or more. Steaks and burgers are often better seared and cooked on charcoal or gas..I have a 22yr old Napolean whose only task is birds (Turkeys, capons, chickens rotisseried with butter, paprika, pepper and salt.

You can not sear anything on these.

Thats actually not correct, it depends which one you buy. I did my research as I did not want a dedicated smoker... Thats why I got the Pit Boss 1100 which allows 8 different cooking styles... One of which is 1000F direct flame searing with the slide plate flame feature... With the digital dial, you can set direct smoke, all the way up to 500F or utilize the slide plate direct flame for 1000F searing... Thats why I love this pellet grill

And it looks like they just released a new model called the Sportsman that didnt exist when I bought mine..

Reactions: Yasherka and Bradu
Propane grill, but added a pellet smoker tube for about 20 bucks. Works awesome. Load up a smoker tube with the wood pellet of your choice. light the pellets with a propane torch. They even have charcoal pellets, which can give off a charcoal flavor. Lots of Youtube videos out there.

Reactions: 338dude
Love my pellet smoker. I mostly do the low and slow type smoking, but crank it up and I can do a good pizza. Pellet grills don't get hot enough to sear meat, the majority of them anyway. Haven't owned anything burning propane in years. I keep a Weber kettle but don't often use it. We aren't big burger fans, and a really hot cast iron skillet sears steaks just fine.

Charcoal and it isn't close. I have had a ceramic Primo Oval XL for 10 years. Super versatile. You can grill, smoke or sear.

The argument is that charcoal takes too long. My counter to that is, light your grill then prep your food instead of getting everything ready then lighting grill.

My response to a pellet makes it so simple is the KISS principle...keep it simple stupid. There are so many moving parts that WILL break. In 10yrs, I've changed grates and felt seals. In the same time my dad has replaced 2 pellet grills because of failed internals and rust.

Finally, charcoal tastes the best buy far. Enhanced even more by a few wood chunks.

I have multiple outdoor cooking appliances. All depends what you want to do, and what you will actually use. I have a propane griddle, a barrel smoker, a green egg, a pellet grill/smoker, and a little charcoal grill.

Ease of use goes to the pellet and the griddle. For the pellet set the temp and ensure there are enough pellets and don't touch it again. Can also use it as an oven and bake. I use mine pretty often for baking in the summer. Mine can sear OK, but it really burns through pellets. Right tool for the right job.

Taste wise the pellet is 85-90% there compared to my smoker, charcoal grill, or green egg. It's missing something though that you can only get from charcoal. Blind taste test people pick charcoal everytime.

Reactions: rookie7
There is no better flavor than Charcoal, and that can be easily achieved on a Weber. There’s no easier second best choice than a pellet grill. Both the pellet and charcoal grills are very universal. Propane is sort of a one trick pony.

I say get a Weber, and enjoy. All in less than $300.

The pellet grills I would consider are more than $300.

Charcoal and it isn't close. I have had a ceramic Primo Oval XL for 10 years. Super versatile. You can grill, smoke or sear.

The argument is that charcoal takes too long. My counter to that is, light your grill then prep your food instead of getting everything ready then lighting grill.

My response to a pellet makes it so simple is the KISS principle...keep it simple stupid. There are so many moving parts that WILL break. In 10yrs, I've changed grates and felt seals. In the same time my dad has replaced 2 pellet grills because of failed internals and rust.

Finally, charcoal tastes the best buy far. Enhanced even more by a few wood chunks.
This is going to be my argument to my wife for why we need a kamado, thanks.

All 3.

Pellets for smoking, since it's easy. I have babysat charcoal to smoke all day. It's boring and I get way too drunk waiting.

Charcoal for steaks and burger if I have time.

Propane for burgers and dogs when the kids are hungry and I want to be done in 10 minutes.

I already had a gas line running under my deck to a fireplace. I tapped into it to run the propane grill. So when I forget to buy pellets or charcoal it's always ready to go also.

I always use charcoal in a Weber nothing like it, thought about a pellet grill but there is just nothing like charcoal, there is a place I get lump mesquite It's the shit, go through about two 60# bags a season.

The Traeger pellet system changed things for me, making smoking sooooo less time/attention consuming. The tastiest pork and brisket I've ever smoked was done on charcoal, but was a comparatively astronomical commitment. I used to smoke with charcoal maybe half a dozen times a year, while the Traeger I use at least 1-2 times a week. Coal generally requires constant monitoring, but with the Traeger I can monitor with my phone while out and about.

All 3.

Pellets for smoking, since it's easy. I have babysat charcoal to smoke all day. It's boring and I get way too drunk waiting.

Charcoal for steaks and burger if I have time.

Propane for burgers and dogs when the kids are hungry and I want to be done in 10 minutes.

I already had a gas line running under my deck to a fireplace. I tapped into it to run the propane grill. So when I forget to buy pellets or charcoal it's always ready to go also.
Try a Digi Q for one of the eggs. Light it and forget it...thin blue smoke for days on 1 load of lump and wood chunks

I went from open pit charcoal and wood for smoking plus a propane for grilling to a CampChef plus the sear box and not sad at all about that choice.
I got tired of fiddling with the fire in the pit or refilling my old WSM 3-4 times on long smokes, which limited my low-and-slow cooks to weekends. My 18yo Weber Genesis gave up its last breath this spring, so it was a good time to try something new.
The pellet pooper does an amazing job smoking, grilling adds a lot of flavor you can't get with charcoal, is even with few flareups, and for those times requiring more than 500*, there's the sear burner. Plan on at least $750 for a decent one, though.

Nothing you say from this point forward pertaining to any topic will I take seriously. You might as well say bacon sucks and you like men ;) I highlighted the offending issue in bold

Eh, if I set the smoker to 180 and go to the range for 3-4 hours the meat will be done when I'm done unloading the truck.

There's more important things to do than monitor charcoal smoker temps.

So the wife and I hit the store this morning and I bought a Pit Boss pellet grill.

Eventually, I'll add a MasterTouch Weber Kettle grill to the arsenal, and when my current propane grill dies I'm going to buy a smaller one with maybe 3 burners for the quick and easy stuff.

The Pit Boss grills get mixed reviews - love and hate.

I'm guessing it's a lot like buying a factory rifle - you pay your money and take your chances.

If the Pit Boss doesn't meet my needs in the long term, I willingly paid for the education.

Thank you all for your input!

Traeger is the only way to Go. I found the smallest one they make which is the best for cooking the the meat. I just got done with a tritip just now and it was awesome. I modified mine to roll around on a sams club hose reel cart that went bad.

54CFE39A-3645-4DAF-A484-80EFBA4F2ADB.jpeg

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I’m saving for the master built 560. Basically a charcoal grill that’s supposed to be like a pellet grill. Gravity feeds lump or briquettes.

Old smokey
Mesquite
1598826370964.png

Add a thermometer
1598826467657.png

I have a gas grill and have not lit it in a few years. usually only for fish.
Burgers, steaks, chicken wings, stuffed pork chops, armadillo eggs...... Not much beats mesquite.

If I am smoking a large piece of meat I will use the big offset smoker. But I don't think I've lit that in over a year.

Old smokey gets lit every weekend.

I prefer charcoal but don't always take the time gas is easy. A chimney starter is awesome for charcoal don't need fluid. I only use lump. Throw in some wood chunks for even better flavor. My little 14" Webber is my favorite grill. Fill up the chimney starter light it when its burning good dump it in and your ready to go. Super hot.

Charcoal is the way to go. I've been charcoaling since I was 5. I personally like mesquite wood but I hear oak is good too. Some even like to add peanut shells for smell and taste.

Like mentioned previously, go out and light the fire, go back in to prepare everything, go back out and your goals will be ready.

Pork ribs in foil left to cook in the grill taste really good too when you take them out the foil and set them on the grill for a finishing touch. The same could be done with wings, etc lol...

Charcoal. I always use a charcoal chimney by Webber to get them glowing before dumping into grill. Kingsfords brand preferred. No lighter fluid or instant light bullshit unless you like the taste of lighter fluid. Just tear off part of the bag stuff it in the bottom of chimney pour in desired amount of charcoal and light it with a propane torch. 20 minutes and a couple beers later they’re ready !

Not only that, lump lights faster and burns hotter and cleaner than briquettes by a wide margin.

I have a Char-Broil egg and when I want to grill steaks I can peg the thermometer beyond its 700F limit. I call it my little nuclear reactor.

Smoked stuff the hard way for years over wood. Great results, but a LOT of work and constant attention.

ot a pellet smoker. Game changer. It runs at least once a week.

Will always have a Weber kettle. Super versatile.

propane...not for me, thank you.
Have fun cooking.

spelling edit

Reactions: Bolo and mbeavers1
Charcoal here
Soon to add a pellet to the stable

Father in law runs a gas grill. But puts charcoal briquettes around the flame of the burner. Cheater!

I like to drink when I grill so don’t mind extra time to cook

If I lived in a lower humidity area, I would absolutely get a pellet smoker / grill

plug it into 110v outlet

add your choice of pellet or a blend

Set the smoke level and heat level and go

family always smoked a bird for thanksgiving.

One family member would set up the smoker and soak wood a few days ahead
Get up at 3 am and light the wood
Get the bird on by 4 am

when another family member got up, the first got to go back to sleep. Second person took over. Check the smoker every 20 min. Enough temp? Too much is death- enough fuel

enough fuel sitting in water to be added later.

The pellet grill solves 99% of the smoker headaches

the pellet stoves have too many small parts that will rust in high humidity areas.
All those parts are not covered by warranty.

I prefer charcoal. I can taste some residue of the LP form propane,
Me too.
99% of my life I have cooked on propane.

This summer my interest in cooking over charcoal and pellets has increased.

I have never used a pellet grill, but my brother in law swears by them - ease of use, cleaning, and perfect cooking.

My best friend swears by charcoal.

$300 and under is what the wife has agreed to.

I do like if I need to cook quickly propane is ready. I’m sure the others could be close with planning and time management, or am I wrong?

What says “The Hide”?
thanks
$300 limit rules out pellet grills, the quality ones cost much more.
$300 buys a nice charcoal grill. That's what I use. I noticed most people do not know how to cook on a grill and that is why they don't enjoy it as much as they could.
Most people use way too much charcoal for the food intended and too much lighter fluid. I use a pile just bigger than the steak itself, single layer is all you need. (Chicken requires a double layer of coals). Put just enough lighter fluid on it to get it going and walk away for 7 minutes; leave the lid off. Come back and put the lid back on and wait for another 6 minutes for the coals to get hot and be ready to go. I start the side dishes while the coals are getting ready. There is no wasted time standing around waiting for the coals. I also use a timer so I don't lose track of the time. Cooking over charcoal has the best flavor and is far cheaper than the pellets.

Decide how you want to cook. They all have their places and merits. I have propane, charcoal/stick burner smoker, pellet grill and a convection cooker. Propane is fast and done. Pellet grill for the majority of cooking. Charcoal/stick burner when I have time to babysit the fire box. Convection cooker if I need a huge chunk of meat cooked fast. This sometimes happens when friends call in the early afternoon and want to come over for dinner. The bottom line is, how much time do you have to spend watching the fire? While I only use mine occasionally, look into an Orion as well. You can still smoke and cook a few racks of ribs in an hour and fifteen minutes. The pellet grill is more versitile as far as what you can do on it. Charcoal is great, but takes time and planning to get things done. If you're just starting out, you will make bad food on it. Don't sweat it, it happens to all of us. I have been through several charcoal and wood grills and always come back to loving a Weber kettle for simple cooking. And contrary to the above post, I always find people use too little charcoal, particularly for beef. If you don't have enough coals to make smores after dinner, you didn't use enough.

Weber kettle and an offset stick burner are my go to cooking apparatuses.

Reactions: ken226
Charcoal or get the fuck out of here.
I hated charcoal when I first got my Webber. Hated it to the point I was going to get rid of it. But once I finally learned how to cook on it I absolutely love it!! My only problem is my Webber 22 inch isn’t big enough. Now I am looking at building a big custom charcoal grill.
If I want smoke added I throw a piece or two of apple wood or alder wood on the hot charcoal and it is amazing 👍

about two months ago, i was turned onto something that ends the debate. it’s called the a-maze-en smoker tube.

whether you have propane, or charcoal (i prefer charcoal) the smoker tube renders either choice viable. the slam on the propane is you couldnt get the flavor you could with charcoal. with the smoker tube, that’s over. can use it with with charcoal grill, too.

cold smoking? yup, just dont turn the heat on or light the fire.

check them out. it adds a whole ‘nother level to your grilling options. and NO, i am not affiliated with them in any manner. it’s just a fantastic option my brother turned me onto.
not the same bro. get a real smoker and youll get it. that white smoke that comes out of a amazen tube makes the smoking sour and youll never get that good pink ring. Ive got a badass pellet smoker. Yoder YS640 and even tho thats smoking its still not the same quality you get with a real true blue smoker using real wood. but your smoker tube full of pellets doesnt even come close to the quality of food youll get out of a pellet smoker. Ive got both.

for convenience while still getting good smoked meat a pellet smokers about as good as you can get. you pick the right one youve got a indirect smoker, woodfire grill, oven, direct smoker, amongst any other configuration you can think of with the pellet smoker you choose. I can throw a brisket on my yoder and it regulates the temperature automatically, if i want I literally can come back in 15 hours and it does all the work. all good smoke. not the white bad smoke you get from smokers that dont get their smoke from an actual fire. id recommend looking at traeger. people speak very highly of them. Ive got a yoder but it blows your 300 dollar budget out of the water. if you go with a pellet grill amazons got plenty of good pellets that can be delivered in a day. so fuels never too far away.