• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grizzly kills man near Yellowstone **UPDATE **

Re: Grizzly kills man near Yellowstone in Wyoming

It would only be fair ot know if I was going to be in an area of a pissed off grizzly bear, especially one that just woke up and is probably groggy and scared.

That said, he could have stumbled on it and woke it up.

Always carry noisemakers when in grizz country, and a 12 guage shotgun.

I wonder if he was carrying any kind of defense. It would just be interesting to know if he shot it or sprayed it and it didn't work or if he was unarmed and didn't have a chance.

I love the Latin word for Grizzly Bear,Ursus Horribilis.The Horrible Bear.Guess it would fit if you were facing him unarmed in his territory.

We've got plenty of brown bears here in the woods (woman got attacked few days back by mother and two cubs) and they also come to peoples houses looking for scrap to eat since EU doesn't allow hunters (gamekeepers i.e.) to place carcasses to spots in forests (practice before EU). People are quite used to them now however European brown bear is a sweet pink puppy compared to your Ursus Horibilis
smile.gif

In my experience, noisemakers don't work. The bear needs something which it can associate with people.

I sing.

Of course, I'm in danger from other hikers when I do that - I can't carry a tune.

When you're in grizzly country, you're not at the top of the food chain.

I am sure you all know the difference between Black bear shit and Grizzly shit don't you ???

Black bear shit is smaller in diameter, has a mixture of berries, grasses, seeds and small animal hair.

Grizzly shit is larger in diameter, has distinct odor of pepper spray and has little silver bells in it...

My thoughts exactly...

of course it was agressive; it's a DANG Grizzly bear!!!

not right to shoot the bear, it was being was it is, a bear

Bear was probably very ticked off from its recent ordeal and associated that with humans, taking it out on this guy. While understandable from the bear's perspective, NEVER go unarmed in grizzly country!! Gun or spray depending upon your personal beliefs, but never leave yourself without defense.

I've gone without seeing bears in high density grizz areas when everyone around me is seeing them simply by talking loudly. But I still carry.

Of course the recent application of tranquilizer (PCP) would have no effect on the bears attitude.

I know Kitty Creek well, have many a mile in the saddle through that drainage. It's thick with Bears.

I'll make some calls to my buddy out there...see what the real story is.

Dumb-asses killed the bear.

WTF?? It was coming out of tranquilizers and everyone knows that's the WORST time to be around a bear.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
The 70-year-old Evert had been hiking Thursday near his cabin, east of Yellowstone. The bear had been trapped and tranquilized a few hours before the attack.

Servheen said they decided to kill the bear because it was unclear whether it had some unnatural form of aggression.

</span>

Quote from a buddy who lives in Cody Country. Not far from the Northfork where it happened

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Problem bear that had just been relocated to Kitty Creek. The guy went in there ignoring the posted warnings, unarmed and no bear spray! Can you say LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</div></div>

leaked that his condition was.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heard the guy was unrecognizable from the mauling though!
</div></div>

A good friend of mine said if you get a .50 caliber pistol for Gizzly protection remember to file the front site off.
That way when the bear sticks it up your ass it won't hurt half as much....

Just sayin'

Used to be 15-20 three season cabins(up the hill) on the Forest Service land there, as well as the large Boy Scout camp on the Shoshone River and Kitty Creek(actually Fishhawk 1/2 mile east) junction Always some Griz there for the last 30 yrs. Still it seems like a foolish place to release a "trouble Bear".
Many times I have gone up one drainage or Coulee, turned up and over the top to drop down into and go out another, only to find DANGER BEARS signs after I get back to the trail head. Great Fun!
Old guy left his cabin for a hike and may have never seen a sign....
Still not smart to be careless in BEAR COUNTRY!
Think that I heard or read that Kitty Creek got its name from the local Feline population... see them there sometimes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good friend of mine said if you get a .50 caliber pistol for Gizzly protection remember to file the front site off.

Just sayin' </div></div>

People have been killed carrying very large caliber rifles and saved by 40SW. Nothing is foolproof and anything is better than fingernails.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good friend of mine said if you get a .50 caliber pistol for Gizzly protection remember to file the front site off.

Just sayin' </div></div>

People have been killed carrying very large caliber rifles and saved by 40SW. Nothing is foolproof and anything is better than fingernails. </div></div>

Guns typically get you in more trouble. You all might poke fun at carrying bear spray but it has saved more lives than some dude thinking he's safe by carrying a weapon. Guns only give you a false sense of security when dealing with griz.

Same long time resident of Kenai also told me.
" I made a deal with brownie years ago.....I'll stay out of the woods if he stays out of the bars" .

After being there and seeing them eye to eye there's one cold hard fact....you are fully at the mercy of the bear.
It moves, your fucked.
If I have to I will go armed to the teeth or not at all.
You can have the spray.

A short, handy 12 gauge with heavy loads, if you please. Anything else is a second choice. Even this does not guaranty your safety, but it sure aids peace of mind.

My problem with pepper spray is that due to the influx of illegals and knowing my luck I would encounter a griz that liked Mescan food.

Sorry but... unless you can hit the cns on a bear loping towards you focused on killing you. All the firepower you can carry is useless. The spray will buy you the time you need and more often than not resolve the situation. I've had the luxury of not guessing on that one. I've also had the privilege of many conversations with the investigators of such incidents. Dead SOB with empty smoke wagon and dead swiss cheese like pooh bear happens. Frequently. Scared as shit SOB with a need for laundry service and empty can of spray happens. But at least the SOB has the luxury of talking about it.

Do what you will, I'll continue to carry both and converse about encounters.

I guess if you are armed to the teeth you'll be moving slow.. so your OK.

You are at the mercy of the bear. I agree. Spray allows time to beg for Mercy and often the Bear will grant you your wish. Hot lead and a wound on the other hand puts the Bears decision process on the fast track. I'm speaking specifically about the bears in the greater Yellowstone area... I've no reference for the AK types.

Do the bear sprays really work? I have heard there is no evidence one way or the other on it's effectivness.

The Griz population is substantial in only two places in the lower 48, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks and you are prohibited from carrying firearms in National Parks. I have backpacked in a great many of our wonderful National Parks and the only one I packed a firearm in was Big Bend NP in Texas which is on the Mexico boarder - not because of the bears but because of the two legged drug & human running wetbacks! There have been incidents of Mexicans killing rafters in BBNP, they are a bigger threat then the cougars or bears!

Yes they do.. I'm living proof. I (and my buddy )were charged 3 times and used 2 cans. I was less than 10ft on all three charges. There is more to the story. But I'd rather not say via the net. In the end the bear spray is the only thing that saved my life and my buddies. So says the Bear investigator. There is tons of evidence out there. Go speak with any Investigator in the Greater Yellowstone.

Last summer 2 Park Rangers held a Sow Grizzly at bay for 2 days before helped arrived. They both had firearms and never fired a shot. They used 2 cans of Spray. Each had one can a piece.

One, one Bear Spray product is proven and tested.

Counter Assault

Jus' Sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and you are prohibited from carrying firearms in National Parks.... </div></div>

Not anymore - concealed carry is legal in NPs (except in buildings), provided that you meet the requirements of the State that in which you are located. However, discharge of said firearm is illegal in NPs, so they still recommend that you carry bear spray for self protection....

Visited YNP for the first time in April - I highly recommend it! I spotted two Grizzlies (one small ond one huge), but was unable to get pics....

Cheers,

Bill

personaly i say carry both would rather have both and not need either !

I used to know of a guy who decided to take the spray when he went into a bear area. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. When the can said "Bear Repelant" he assumed it was to be used the same as you would bug repelant. That's right he hosed himself down with it. I'll leave it to your imagination about how well that worked.

That same scenario played out in YNP a few years back. Mom and Dad were taking the kids hiking. They picked up a can of bear spray thinking you apply it as bug spray and promptly hosed down the kids. The rest of the vacation was spent in the Cody Hospital.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FNF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Griz population is substantial in only two places in the lower 48, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks and

</div></div>

And everywhere in between, which is a lot of public land outside of national parks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to know of a guy who decided to take the spray when he went into a bear area. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. When the can said "Bear Repelant" he assumed it was to be used the same as you would bug repelant. That's right he hosed himself down with it. I'll leave it to your imagination about how well that worked. </div></div>

now that is funny !
grin.gif

Went hiking out west, didnt take me long to realize I ranked higher on the prey list than I did on the predetor list. Different set of rules than this southern redneck was used to playing by.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always carry noisemakers when in grizz country, and a 12 guage shotgun.
</div></div>

"...and a 12 guage shotgun."

i would prefer my .499LWR, or any of the .50 caliber rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to know of a guy who decided to take the spray when he went into a bear area. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. When the can said "Bear Repelant" he assumed it was to be used the same as you would bug repelant. That's right he hosed himself down with it. I'll leave it to your imagination about how well that worked. </div></div>
I'll bet it worked very well. In fact I'm guessing he wasn't troubled by a single bear! I may start advocating bear spray as long as it is used in this manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cacodo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is more to the story.</div></div>

Oh DO tell..!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the <span style="font-weight: bold">Latin word for Grizzly Bear,Ursus Horribilis.The Horrible Bear.</span>Guess it would fit if you were facing him unarmed in his territory. </div></div>

Gotta love any animal who's name has the word "Horrible" in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cacodo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is more to the story.</div></div>

Oh DO tell..!! </div></div>

hehe...not on the net...