• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gruning Precision Rifles

Sig33

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2012
Southern Cal
Hey guys,

Jim Gronning of Gruning Precision is a local gunsmith in my area and I am thinking of using him for a R700 build I have in mind. I have heard good things about him but reviews on this site, and others, are few and far between. That being said, those reviews here on the Hide have been good, but once again it is a very small sample size.

So, I was wondering if there were any owners of his rifles on this site or guys that have first hand knowledge of his builds that could give me their thoughts. The main thing I am concerned about is accuracy.

Here's his site just for kicks... Gruning Precision: tactical rifles, Remington 700, M1A, M14, AR15, AR10, scope rings, scope bases, tactical accessories, Riverside, California

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

It was an NRA Highpower Match rifle in a Master Class stock. Match rifle was not for me, I stayed with service rifle. Jim's work was great.

hello sig33,
I have 3 gruning rifles in my shop if you would like to see them. they belong to me and are not for sale, but you can get an idea of the quality. one Remington 700 308, 1 in 300wm on a McMillan stock and a 300wm on an AI stock

Jim Gruning has been a mainstay for gunsmithing for private, LE and Mil. in SoCal for decades. I have not had any work done by him but all the years have not heard anything negative from anyone concerning his work. I have shot in some of the matches he ran at West End Gun Club and even way back when at Elsinore (anyone remember those?). He is most definitely a shooter which counts a lot to me in a gunsmith. I have even been involved with him in a financial effort to revitalize the Lytle Creek shooting facility which is still ongoing. All of this is to say that Jim G has always impressed me as a stand up guy of integrity with an impressive body of gunsmithing work and I would not hesitate to utilize his services if the need arose.

Bolloxinaspanner, I have also heard nothing but good things about him. But, I can't seem to find many people who own his rifles and can attest to their accuracy compared to something like a Gap, AO, or APA build. Since I know his work is solid, my main concern left is accuracy, ya know? I guess one could argue that if you know the smith does good work then his rifles are probably shooters too, but I digress...

Which brings me to you, ampacrifle. How does yer 308 700 shoot? 1/2 moa, 1/4, 3/4? I will not be using hand loads...only 168gmm or whatever other match factory ammo ends up in my hands. And thanks for the invite, if I am going to be in Riverside soon I will pm you. What kind of shop do you have?

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

OP,does he offer an accuracy guarantee?It seems like that is what you are after as well as everybody else that doe's a custom build.

No, not that I know of.

My dilemma is this, I am looking for a new build and I originally wanted a Gap rifle. But Gruning can make me the same rifle (spec-wise) as Gap for over $1500 less and have it to me in 1/3 the time. I know both make quality rigs so if accuracy is similar then I would just go with Gruning...or at least that's how it works in my head.

No, not that I know of.

My dilemma is this, I am looking for a new build and I originally wanted a Gap rifle. But Gruning can make me the same rifle (spec-wise) as Gap for over $1500 less and have it to me in 1/3 the time. I know both make quality rigs so if accuracy is similar then I would just go with Gruning...or at least that's how it works in my head.

From the Gruning web page photos the only thing I can see is that it looks as if he is using Rem 700 action as opposed to GAP who use a custom on most of their builds. They say that a trued Rem 700 is as good as the custom actions but I would not know. I'm in the proses of ordering a rifle (Crusader) from GAP and have looked around to other builders. Some do come in at a somewhat lower price but I get this feeling of; is it as good as a GAP?. In my mind GAP's reputation is worth the extra money, I know we are all trying to save some bucks but in my case this would be my first custom build and I just don't want to take a chance. Just my two cents....

Last edited:
From the Gruning web page photos the only thing I can see is that it looks as if he is using Rem 700 action as opposed to GAP who use a custom on most of their builds. They say that a trued Rem 700 is as good as the custom actions but I would not know. I'm in the proses of ordering a rifle (Crusader) from GAP and have looked around to other builders. Some do come in at a somewhat lower price but I get this feeling of; is it as good as a GAP?. In my mind GAP's reputation is worth the extra money, I know we are all trying to save some bucks but in my case this would be my first custom build and I just don't want to take a chance. Just my two cents....

Yeah, I totally understand that and agree in almost every way. But $1500 would pay for most of my new glass (steiner t5x) and it would be very comforting to have the builder local to me.

Resale value means nothing to me as I don't sell guns as a rule.

Accuracy,however, means a lot to me. I know Gaps shoot, but do Grunings shoot similarly good?

Sig33,

Just came across this thread and quickly checked out Gruning's Site. As I quickly read the first thing that stuck out as a sore thumb (but in a GREAT way was) "capabilities of taking measurements within 25 millionths of an inch". This is INSANE!!!

If he is indeed local to you contact for site visit. Convey what your thoughts and what you want and go from there.

My thoughts on going custom:

I wanted to two rigs built and patiently waited as I much rather the right job be done then rush and not get right job.

Also liked fact that custom gun builder I went with 'personally' completed ALL cutting work and does not produce a lot of rigs per year.

As an owner of two custom rigs I definitely understand thoughts you are sharing. It took me years to decide who to go with. It is a lot of money to spend. I can honestly say if I had to do it all over again I would NOT change a thing.

For me, measurement difference between Action to Chamber& crown cut were right there with hardware choices.

Sounds as if the two custom rig builders you have boiled down to are TOP NOTCH...

Just my two quick cents...

I also have a GAP on order for the same reasons. This is my first custom build as well. I will have a long time and money tied up in this build. You are also purchasing the name but that will help you if you ever need to sell it as well.

Yeah, I totally understand that and agree in almost every way. But $1500 would pay for most of my new glass (steiner t5x) and it would be very comforting to have the builder local to me.

Resale value means nothing to me as I don't sell guns as a rule.

Accuracy,however, means a lot to me. I know Gaps shoot, but do Grunings shoot similarly good?

Yea! $1500 is a lot of cash for sure. Well either way I don't think you can go wrong as I read a lot of good stuff about Gruning Rifles....

Gruning

Yea! $1500 is a lot of cash for sure. Well either way I don't think you can go wrong as I read a lot of good stuff about Gruning Rifles....

I've been looking at the Gruning scope rings and steel mount. I contacted him one time by text and he has text me every since. He'll send you pictures of his machine work without you even asking. He seems to be a stand up guy. Sent him a text and I garranty he'll respond in a prompt manner. A+

If the amount is truly $1500, then I'd go with Gruning. Given his reputation, I'm sure you will get a top notch rifle. BUT, I'd check your figures and make sure it is an apples-to-apples comparison: same action, barrel, trigger, stock, etc. If one uses a R700 and the other uses a Defiance action, that's about a $1K difference right there.

I've been looking at the Gruning scope rings and steel mount. I contacted him one time by text and he has text me every since. He'll send you pictures of his machine work without you even asking. He seems to be a stand up guy. Sent him a text and I garranty he'll respond in a prompt manner. A+

Yeah, I've heard his rings and mounts are phenomenal. I've also heard that his NV mount might be getting a .mil contract so it. It's gotta be good too.

But what is starting to blow my mind in that no one can post something saying, "my rifle shoots xxx." Maybe I'm being too demanding or getting hung up on something that varies from shooter to shooter.

Last edited:
I had a rifle done by Jim when I lived in SoCAL. It was a 223 with his designed chamber. He accurized the action, bedded to stock, jewell trigger, he used a hart barrel. The rifle shot GREAT both targets and critters. I moved to Texas it got me critters and targets shot some of the LSSO at Tacpro with it and did real well at 400 yds. I finally shot the throat out and was going to have him redo it but he got so busy, I went to a smith here. Still have the action and stock and they function flawlessly for over 12 plus years.
I will say you can't go wrong with his work.

Why don't you check with AO?They have a accuracy guarantee and build great rifles.I have 2 and am very pleased with both.

Yeah, I've heard his rings and mounts are phenomenal. I've also heard that his NV mount might be getting a .mil contract so it. It's gotta be good too.

But what is starting to blow my mind in that no one can post something saying, "my rifle shoots xxx." Maybe I'm being too demanding or getting hung up on something that varies from shooter to shooter.

This is a good point. Anyone know what MOA his rifles shoot????

I just spoke with Jim for a lengthy period of time. He is extremely knowledgeable and has been building rifles for many years. I believe he told me he's built close to 19,000 custom rifles.

He is sending me a quote for a custom 223 that I'm looking to have built. He did tell me that his rifles shoot 1/4 to 3/8 MOA.

He is also one heck of a nice guy. I had a very good comfort level in hearing what he does and hearing his suggestions.

I just spoke with Jim for a lengthy period of time. He is extremely knowledgeable and has been building rifles for many years. I believe he told me he's built close to 19,000 custom rifles.

He is sending me a quote for a custom 223 that I'm looking to have built. He did tell me that his rifles shoot 1/4 to 3/8 MOA.

He is also one heck of a nice guy. I had a very good comfort level in hearing what he does and hearing his suggestions.

Wow, good to know he has that kind of knowledge and confidence. 1/4 - 3/8 moa is good for me. Thanks dariof, I'll give him a call.

Did he give you a lead time?

Wow, good to know he has that kind of knowledge and confidence. 1/4 - 3/8 moa is good for me. Thanks dariof, I'll give him a call.

Did he give you a lead time?

I did not get a lead time. Please let us know after you speak with him.

I'm planning on driving out to see him in a couple of weeks.

You will find some manufacturers/smiths give an accuracy "guarantee". It doesn't mean dick if the person behind the gun can't shoot. The best rifle in the world is only as good as the ammo inside it and the person pulling the trigger.

Sig33 - based solely on what I've read in this thread, I'd be willing to bet you'd get a rifle from Gruning Precision that would shoot as well or better than you can for a long time. Lot of positive feedback about their work and that's usually a very good sign.

Oh hell yea, beats the hell out of a Badger tapped into a carbon or fiber glass stock. It also may benefit the harmonics of the action being steel running the length of it. Less vibration equals stiffer action. Just a thought.

Dropped off my 22-250 today at his shop and after a very pleasant talk with Jim all
i can say is that I am very impressed with his knowledge, prices, and work.
Now starts the wait, about 6 weeks out.

Rattler,

What work are you having him do on your rig?

Barrel set back and chamber cleaned up, bolt trued and knob installed, barrel cut and threaded with custom brake installed.
Also action tuned up, very happy with the price and his work looks top notch.

Sig33, While in Germany in 1989, I visited the Anschutz factory. Along with other visitors we were given a real nice tour of the facilities. One part that was interesting to me was the accuracy proofing method. We observed that they would place the barreled actions on this vise type device and the operator would by pushing a button on the device fire the rifle. I asked the tour guide why the technician didn't physically fire the gun himself. The answer I got was this "we wan't to know how accurate is the gun, not how accurate is the shooter with the gun". The Anschutz 22cal rifles are renowned for their accuracy and are still being used in the Olympics, I mention this because obviously they must be doing something right.

Think of this for a moment. if you buy a rifle no matter custom or factory and you could place it in this sort of machine that would then fire it without the human element involved, then I think one would really have what that rifle's accuracy potential really was. After that then it would vary from shooter to shooter.

So your right, not everybody has the same shooting ability. I'm sure if you gave the so-called most accurate rifle in the world (which ever that my be) to a group of shooters I'm sure you would discover varying degrees of accuracy out of that rifle. Moral of the story is, don't let "MY RIFLE SHOOTS XXX" bother you, it's just human nature.....

Last edited:
Like to thank Jim for a outstanding job on my 22-250, it's now a laser and his work is top notch.
If you are looking for a smith in the Inland Empire of So Cal. I highly recommend Gruning Precision Rifles.

Will be having him chamber my 243 to a AI soon and add his muzzle brake.

I've known Jim for along time and have a couple rifles he has built, i have killed a lot of critters with them. A buddy of mine also has 4 or 5 rifles that Jim built and they are all lasers. I wouldn't be concerned with his rifles not being accurate, they are going to be just as accurate as any of the big names you read about here.