• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Cage?

xdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2005
North Dakota
Hey guys has anyone made a gun cage to store their guns in? Pro/cons. I'm thinking about welding together a rectangular box tubing frame with expanded metal outer, with two doors and lockable, to keep my son out. I got the idea from the movie 'Shooter'. I know it's not fireproof, which would be the biggest con. But easily lockable.

Any idea guys?

xdeano

Expanded metal can easily be cut with a set of bolt cutters. Only other thing I see wrong is everything is visible. A possible thief can see everything you have. Other then that its a cool idea.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

If you build the cage big enough you can reverse the solution and just leave your guns as they are.

....on the serious side look at getting the best safe you can afford. Its way cheaper than the possibilities of not doing so.

...and thank you for taking the responsibility to at least ponder and do this whatever you end up doing.

Very true on the two cons. But it would be harder to get into then a glass front. It will also be inside a closet, bolted to the floor.

xdeano

Kids are irreplaceable. Keeping weapons away from them until they are responsible is my main goal right now.

xdeano

I have a couple of the shrouded master locks laying around that are keyed the same and thought they would fit the bill just fine.

xdeano

Maybe use a top middle bottom to lock or a heavy piece of solid stock the length of door to make it harder to pull the corners back.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'm voting for hidden gun safe that no one can see into. People see the guns in a cage and they decide they want them and they aren't fireproof.

I would also take the kid shooting, teach him everything about gun safety and respecting guns, and then he won't get into trouble at other peoples homes where the kids can get at their parents guns and do stupid shit like pointing them at each other.

First no matter the age start teaching your children about guns. My daughter was shooting a 22 at 3 years old on my lap, at 10 she now shoots out to a 1000 using my 260. I trust her more than most other people around guns. Second buy a safe. Bolt it to the ground. Its fire proof. It protects you guns. It makes it really hard to get to them. When on Vacation you can store anything valuable in them....... not just guns. IE jewelery, books, favorite Barbie dolls.

I definitely will take him shooting when he is old enough to squeeze the trigger. Right now I just don't want him to touch them. He's almost 3 so he is curious.

Xdeano

From an economic standpoint, any money spent here can't be spent on a safe later, and the resale value???
I haven't seen in the thread, can you do the work, or are you farming it out, with all the activity up there, I'd think welding of any kind is bringing a premium.

I built mine out of 10 ga steel. All covered you can't see in it. Do not get comfortable with fire ratings. I have a buddy that had his ul listed 2hr fire rated 2000 degree safe was in his house during the wild fire his house burned to the ground and everything in the safe was cooked. Everything that was not steel was in the bottom of the safe as either ash or a puddle of aluminum.

+1 on teaching the kids proper handling. The way the laws have gotten though it's your ass if they get a hold of the gear.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ive actually considered doing something like a gun cage. not for the sole purpose of keeping a kid out mind you. But rather my safe just has to many guns in it now and its full. i have guns i dont consider all that valuable like a (3) mosins. been thinking of making a cage or maybe just a gunrack that secures the guns somehow for those types of guns. On a bonus if a thief saw the safe and the gun rack/cage they might be more inlined to go for the "easy" score vs dealing with the safe. Of note is that my closet is a walk in and has a lock on the door to keep people out already.

Milo,
I can do all the work myself. Cutting steel and welding come fairly easy to me. I am by no sense of the letter a pro at welding, but after many hrs of welding simple things, it is fairly easy. All i have to do is get the raw material which is easy. So the only cost to me is the steel, time and a couple cans of paint.

I grew up in a house hold that stored guns in gun racks that were 4ft off the ground, i remember my dad hammering together bullets before i could even see over the bench. It was great exposure, i want my son to capture this same experience but i don't want him to be playing with them. I know when i was young my brother left his BB/pellet gun in the closet in the front room, as all curious kids do they snoop and emulate their siblings. So i played with the BB/pellet gun. I would put pieces of fuzz into the chamber and pump it up a few times and blow the fuzz across the room. What i didn't know is that if you pulled the bolt back far enough, a BB would drop down and stick on the bolt. This is what I did. I was 5-6 years old when i put a BB into the wall. A short time after, i was shown how to use the rifle and became very proficient at tagging birds. ;) The yard was void of most animals.

Missed,
I've heard a lot of stories just as you've stated with melted down stocks and equipment in fire rated safes. If it's going to burn, it'll burn. Murphys law...

xdeano

If you build the cage big enough you can reverse the solution and just leave your guns as they are.

Lol

kiddiekoop.jpg

Milo,
I can do all the work myself. Cutting steel and welding come fairly easy to me. I am by no sense of the letter a pro at welding, but after many hrs of welding simple things, it is fairly easy. All i have to do is get the raw material which is easy. So the only cost to me is the steel, time and a couple cans of paint.

I grew up in a house hold that stored guns in gun racks that were 4ft off the ground, i remember my dad hammering together bullets before i could even see over the bench. It was great exposure, i want my son to capture this same experience but i don't want him to be playing with them. I know when i was young my brother left his BB/pellet gun in the closet in the front room, as all curious kids do they snoop and emulate their siblings. So i played with the BB/pellet gun. I would put pieces of fuzz into the chamber and pump it up a few times and blow the fuzz across the room. What i didn't know is that if you pulled the bolt back far enough, a BB would drop down and stick on the bolt. This is what I did. I was 5-6 years old when i put a BB into the wall. A short time after, i was shown how to use the rifle and became very proficient at tagging birds. ;) The yard was void of most animals.

Missed,
I've heard a lot of stories just as you've stated with melted down stocks and equipment in fire rated safes. If it's going to burn, it'll burn. Murphys law...

xdeano

One of my buddies that has an extensive class 3 collection plus a ton of regular gear has his stuff in a CMU room inside his shop with a fire suppression system. I have thought about going the same route.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've built one I use for beater guns and gear. If you would like to see it I can text you pics. Pm me.

I just built my own safe. 10ga walls, floor and ceiling. 1/4" reinforced door with 4 one inch dia locking bars. The bar and handle mechanism took a little figuring but not much. Secured the locking mechanism with two pick proof deadbolts ( do not loose the coded keys- $100 to replace). Insulated with 1 5/8" of fire resistant sheetrock and 2" 0f Kaowool( the stuff used in the flamechambers of boilers). Holds 48 long guns comfortably. Weight- 892#. Sure the deadbolts could be drilled and the door opened with a couple of prybars and determination(not nearly as quick as a commercial safe though). But it keeps my firearms away from the little ones and the honest thieves.

Got any pics downhill. Sounds like a fun build.
Deano

I just built my own safe. 10ga walls, floor and ceiling. 1/4" reinforced door with 4 one inch dia locking bars. The bar and handle mechanism took a little figuring but not much. Secured the locking mechanism with two pick proof deadbolts ( do not loose the coded keys- $100 to replace). Insulated with 1 5/8" of fire resistant sheetrock and 2" 0f Kaowool( the stuff used in the flamechambers of boilers). Holds 48 long guns comfortably. Weight- 892#. Sure the deadbolts could be drilled and the door opened with a couple of prybars and determination(not nearly as quick as a commercial safe though). But it keeps my firearms away from the little ones and the honest thieves.

Just a thought but if you a build a box frame out of angle, you can then use solid black iron or stainless on the back and bottom panel. mounting the panels on the inside of the angle frame and then instead of using expanded metal which will do the job you can use perforated metal. same theory but not as simple to cut through. Or you just convert a room in the house to a gun room. I personally utilize a gun room, my youngins do not in anyway shape or form eneter daddy's gun room without me in there. I do still have everything locked up in my cabinet and once I hang a new door it will be locked as well.
Daniel

Im paranoid now that I live in Comminecticut, but let me throw this at you. God forbid your kid gets at your guns and even does something as minor as blows a hole in the wall. In this state they will take away your guns, money amd likely your children.
I doubt that any state in the union is exempt from having an overzealous DA somewhere. Don't fuck around, get a safe and a lock for the door of whatever room the safe is in.

I'll echo everyone else who has said that teaching him his equally important.

I use a Rigid Job box until I can afford a nice safe. It also doubles as my reloading bench, as I've made a custom oak top that slides on/off quite easily. When I'm able to buy the AMSEC safe I want, I'll have a spare job box for power tools, or whatever else I want to use it for. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk