• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Case?

pewpew300WM

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2019
West Central PA
Looking to purchase a case for the long range 700. It has a mdt acc chassis, soon to be razor gen 2 and still haven’t decided on bipod but I’ll be looking for a custom foam cutout style one in the near future. Any brand to stay away from? See prices are somewhat all over the place. It’ll only be used for transport purposes, won’t be used for airline travel.

Looking to purchase a case for the long range 700. It has a mdt acc chassis, soon to be razor gen 2 and still haven’t decided on bipod but I’ll be looking for a custom foam cutout style one in the near future. Any brand to stay away from? See prices are somewhat all over the place. It’ll only be used for transport purposes, won’t be used for airline travel.
I have a really nice large Storm and an aluminum Kalispell. Both good protection.
The Storm takes abuse better Also a “drag” bag (more of a trunk bag). From Blackhawk that Is very good

Or get creative.

55975134-C3FC-4172-B831-A3C518E27ECE.jpeg

A few peacenik and Bernie stickers and
No one will ever suspect.

Sirhr

Overall length is roughly 50”. It has a 26” barrel plus a m11 brake on the end.
So it is exactly the same length as my MDT ACC with 28" and a Lil' B brake on the end.... And I have a case with WHEELS on it... a nice big heavy SKB.

Reactions: pewpew300WM
So it is exactly the same length as my MDT ACC with 28" and a Lil' B brake on the end.... And I have a case with WHEELS on it... a nice big heavy SKB.
Yeah I don’t think I’ll ever rebarrel to a 28” but I’d like the wiggle room just incase I go the suppressor route

I have a really nice large Storm and an aluminum Kalispell. Both good protection.
The Storm takes abuse better Also a “drag” bag (more of a trunk bag). From Blackhawk that Is very good

Or get creative.

View attachment 7238341

A few peacenik and Bernie stickers and
No one will ever suspect.

Sirhr

I have one of these "guitar" cases above. I live in a highly blue dense city, and when I am transiting during early day/light hours, I use this case to try to be discreet. I gambled a bit as the price was pretty aggressive. I'll say right now I would not FLY with the case, even thought probability would suggest it would do fine, but in and out of truck/car, its good to go.

I have one of these "guitar" cases above. I live in a highly blue dense city, and when I am transiting during early day/light hours, I use this case to try to be discreet. I gambled a bit as the price was pretty aggressive. I'll say right now I would not FLY with the case, even thought probability would suggest it would do fine, but in and out of truck/car, its good to go.
I would not even CONSIDER flying with guitar case...

The other hard cases... fine.

The Guitar case is a joke.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I used to have a snowboard bag to carry my TRG in as my dept. was in a resort town. Could walk anywhere with anything in a snowboard bag and noone would notice a thing.

I don’t think I could swing a guitar case unless I bought the hinge kit for the mdt chassis

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. I used to have a snowboard bag to carry my TRG in as my dept. was in a resort town. Could walk anywhere with anything in a snowboard bag and noone would notice a thing.
I have had soft cases in the past but with the new chassis and optic I’d like to keep it well protected.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Honest question, did you have a bad experience w/that version?

Honest question, did you have a bad experience w/that version?

No, I bought the case as kind of a joke.... so I did not buy something top-of-the line. Let me correct my statement by saying I would not fly with THAT case. There are high-grade guitar and cello cases that would be fine flying. This particular case I built just for amusements. On a $100 eBay case and some foam.

My serious cases I'd take anywhere. The guitar is just for fun.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Nothing wrong with the case for carrying, or putting in jeep or truck, taking to the range, etc. No worries. It's as good as any WalMart gun case with better concealment and more fun factor. But fly with it? Let anyone else near it? Not in a million years!

No, I bought the case as kind of a joke.... so I did not buy something top-of-the line. Let me correct my statement by saying I would not fly with THAT case. There are high-grade guitar and cello cases that would be fine flying. This particular case I built just for amusements. On a $100 eBay case and some foam.

My serious cases I'd take anywhere. The guitar is just for fun.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Nothing wrong with the case for carrying, or putting in jeep or truck, taking to the range, etc. No worries. It's as good as any WalMart gun case with better concealment and more fun factor. But fly with it? Let anyone else near it? Not in a million years!

Gotcha, all good. Not poking, was honestly exploring other's experiences as there short comings I noticed right away (compared to other brand names). This is the version/brand I grabbed. First thing I didn't like is the part of the case that opens (top half) doesn't fold all the way down.

And agree with your conclusions, to and from the range in the car, even in the truck bed (tied down), is good. Anything else other than that would cause me pause.

I've had a lot of luck with Pelican cases. I buy all of mine from these guys because I can get them with Kaizen foam. Makes customizing it a breeze. Just takes a little patience.

https://www.thecasestore.com/shop

I have multiple cases now, but at first I just ordered some extra Kaizen foam off of Amazon and cut it based on my needs. That way I had different pieces of foam depending on what guns I was taking with me. Ex: I have a five stand setup so if it's off season I'll shoot a bunch of clays. But at night I want my AR-15 so I can chase after pigs. So, I need my sporting over/under and an AR. Might look like this:

IMG_5264.png

That's the Pelican Vault v700 case. I like it because it's pretty compact (compared to some), but can still hold a good amount. For reference, the barrels on that shotgun are 30". You may need one of the larger cases depending on what you're transporting.

@sirhrmechanic Digging that little SBR. Very nice!
Thanks. Sig. It's very nice. .30 BLK. USO 1-6X. Those little scopes rock, too. Not quite as good as their tier-one stuff. But 90 percent there at half the cost.

BTW, Pelican cases are also outstanding! Used to move a lot of equipment in them, too. I just don't own any currently. So very good choice you brought up!

So for the OP, the Pelican Krimet's recommending is a great choice, too.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I suggest a Pelican 1750. The case is stout and can stand up to a beating while protecting your gear.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/protector/1750

Only thing is you need to check that length on your rifle. The case is designed for a max of 50 ½” length. You could always angle the rifle a bit if needed to gain any more length.

I think the only legit complaints about these cases are:

• Weight. They are not light. I do not plan on packing it in the field and they have wheels for the airport or wherever else you want to drag it from your truck. That weight is what is taking the hits rather than your gear.
  • Cost. They are not the cheapest. Then consider the cost of what is in the case ($5k???). Why would you skimp on the case that protects that gear? I have seen these cases go Milsurp for as little as $100 if you hunt around and do some google foo to find them.
If you don’t need the top of the line case you might want to try this one:

Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7ZB484/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and while it is not nearly as tough as a Pelican it will do the job for basic transport. I picked this up on sale last year for $81.15 on sale and currently going for $104.99 delivered.

HTH

Im a huge fan of the pelican IM series, I have 2 3300's. They are on the expensive side, but I think worth it. From what I hear, their vault series is really good at a very reasonable price.

I've had a lot of luck with Pelican cases. I buy all of mine from these guys because I can get them with Kaizen foam. Makes customizing it a breeze. Just takes a little patience.

I have multiple cases now, but at first I just ordered some extra Kaizen foam off of Amazon and cut it based on my needs. That way I had different pieces of foam depending on what guns I was taking with me. Ex: I have a five stand setup so if it's off season I'll shoot a bunch of clays. But at night I want my AR-15 so I can chase after pigs. So, I need my sporting over/under and an AR. Might look like this:

View attachment 7238417

That's the Pelican Vault v700 case. I like it because it's pretty compact (compared to some), but can still hold a good amount. For reference, the barrels on that shotgun are 30". You may need one of the larger cases depending on what you're transporting.
Yeah that’s what I’m looking for is something like that. I just want the gun protected in transport. I’ll check into the pelican thanks

I suggest a Pelican 1750. The case is stout and can stand up to a beating while protecting your gear.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/long-case/protector/1750

Only thing is you need to check that length on your rifle. The case is designed for a max of 50 ½” length. You could always angle the rifle a bit if needed to gain any more length.

I think the only legit complaints about these cases are:

• Weight. They are not light. I do not plan on packing it in the field and they have wheels for the airport or wherever else you want to drag it from your truck. That weight is what is taking the hits rather than your gear.
  • Cost. They are not the cheapest. Then consider the cost of what is in the case ($5k???). Why would you skimp on the case that protects that gear? I have seen these cases go Milsurp for as little as $100 if you hunt around and do some google foo to find them.
If you don’t need the top of the line case you might want to try this one:

Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7ZB484/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one and while it is not nearly as tough as a Pelican it will do the job for basic transport. I picked this up on sale last year for $81.15 on sale and currently going for $104.99 delivered.

HTH
Yeah I definitely want quality over quantity for sure. This is my only long range gun and the amount of money I invested is enough for me to want an overall good case for transport. It’ll just go from house to vehicle to range or match then back home.

Im a huge fan of the pelican IM series, I have 2 3300's. They are on the expensive side, but I think worth it. From what I hear, their vault series is really good at a very reasonable price.
I will check into them also. I get le discounts on a lot of products so I may be able to save a few dollars if pelican is on the discount list which would be nice for sure.

I will check into them also. I get le discounts on a lot of products so I may be able to save a few dollars if pelican is on the discount list which would be nice for sure.
Do you have an expertvoice account? If you do, pelican is in there with a really good discount, definitely worth getting an IM series

Do you have an expertvoice account? If you do, pelican is in there with a really good discount, definitely worth getting an IM series

I do have an account through them and also govx. I also have my ffl and quite a few wholesalers so that’s always an option also. I’ll have to check them out and see prices.

View attachment 7238417

I just looked at the vault v800 and it had better reviews than the Im series. Some reviews on the Im said the foam was lower quality and did not provide support to a heavier weapon. I’d say my gun will weight in around 20lbs or so.

I seen on experticity the vault actually has better rating than the Im series. They said the im series has lower quality foam and doesn’t support a heavier weapon. Although they are all decently priced for sure through experticity.

Best hard-sided cases I own are Storm iM series with closed cell foam. Built like tanks and are used for flying and moves, as range trips the rifles get thrown in the bed or trunk with nothing more than a scope & crown cover (unless it’s off road then it gets put in a drag bag). Either way, you can’t go wrong.

Same for me with the IM. I fly mine a bunch and I never have a worry. Im not sure why anyone would complain about the foam. My Norma weighs 15.5 lbs and there's plenty of support

Attachments

• 20200131_204949.jpg
    20200131_204949.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 95
Best hard-sided cases I own are Storm iM series with closed cell foam. Built like tanks and are used for flying and moves, as range trips the rifles get thrown in the bed or trunk with nothing more than a scope & crown cover (unless it’s off road then it gets put in a drag bag). Either way, you can’t go wrong.
I’ll check them out for sure. Most of my traveling is back road and then some off-roading to the range.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Same for me with the IM. I fly mine a bunch and I never have a worry. Im not sure why anyone would complain about the foam. My Norma weighs 15.5 lbs and there's plenty of support
I’m not sure it was a few reviews right off experticity that said about the foam not being supportive and such. The guy said his rifle weighed 22lbs.

I've been really happy with my Plano Field Locker. Gasketed, pressure relief valve, and wheels. Seems to be hell for stout and all you need is a sharpie and a electric carving knife to create whatever your heart desires!

P.S. The double gun version is sub $200.00 on Amazon with Prime shipping (this is good cause the box is almost as big a twin matress! :D )

Last edited:
I've been really happy with my Plano Field Locker. Gasketed, pressure relief valve, and wheels. Seems to be hell for stout and all you need is a sharpie and a electric carving knife to create whatever your heat desires!

P.S. The double gun version is sub $200.00 on Amazon with Prime shipping (this is good cause the box is almost as big a twin matress! :D )
That definitely looks like a solid case also. I’m kinda partial to pelican just because they offer le discounts so the prices are much less.

Reactions: nikonNUT
That definitely looks like a solid case also. I’m kinda partial to pelican just because they offer le discounts so the prices are much less.
No Pelican hate here. I can't get an LE discount and the only case I found that Pelican offered with similar dimensions to the Plano (54" x 15") was their 1770 Long Case ( 54.6" × 15.6" ). Prices range from just shy of $500.00 to just north of $600.00. The Plano was $219.99 (I had to check :) ) so my wallet said it was a no-brainer! I would have a Pelican is a heart beat but the saving paid for my Atlas bi-pod.

Pelican Storm IM3300. I’ve got 3 of them and they’re worth the cost. You can’t go wrong. They definitely are not 5–600. I usually wait for sales and can pick them up for 200-220.

289B854C-13A3-4BA3-A4CA-2CC8B275EF2E.jpeg

No Pelican hate here. I can't get an LE discount and the only case I found that Pelican offered with similar dimensions to the Plano (54" x 15") was their 1770 Long Case ( 54.6" × 15.6" ). Prices range from just shy of $500.00 to just north of $600.00. The Plano was $219.99 (I had to check :) ) so my wallet said it was a no-brainer! I would have a Pelican is a heart beat but the saving paid for my Atlas bi-pod.
Yeah they are a tad pricey for sure. I’m in the market for a case and bipod. Neither is close to being cheap. I really like the cyke pod but $500 is a hard number to swallow for all the more shooting I do.

Reactions: nikonNUT
You will be glad that you sprung for one of these cases. Even just tossing it in the car. Setting up my first one really changed my perspective on the level of protection I can have for my firearms/gear. It’s now just a habit when I invest in something. My latest was for my labradar. Nice to be able to just grab the case and know it has the labradar, stand, battery pack and cables.

Thought I would share one more thing. When I’m looking for a new hard case, I will grab the internal dimensions off the pelican site. I then lay those dimensions out on the floor with painters tape. That way I can lay my guns (or whatever) within that taped rectangle to see how things might fit.

I’m not sure it was a few reviews right off experticity that said about the foam not being supportive and such. The guy said his rifle weighed 22lbs.
[Not sure what case had the negative foam review but just wanted to note]

Never had an issue standard Pelican/Storm/Hardigg foam not being able support any rifle, so there’s no worries there if you go with one of theirs. Personally I like the firm & clean finished look and added protection of the closed cell foam so I snagged sheets off of amazon for all of my cases. Probably just my OCD that led me to doing so and not for any real added value lol.

you live near a military town, there’s a lot of peeps and warehouses that usually have stacks of surplus Storm/Pelican/Hardigg cases for sale at a fairly cheap price (if you’re trying to buy on a budget). If not, you can buy em anywhere and cut the foam yourself or order custom foam cutouts to match your rig.

As far as drag bags being used for range trips, you can go as expensive as a Tac Ops/Eagle/Eberlestock or as cheap as Condor/Blackhawk if it’s just meant to serve as an enclosed case for carrying from car to firing line. Any will do you well.

You will be glad that you sprung for one of these cases. Even just tossing it in the car. Setting up my first one really changed my perspective on the level of protection I can have for my firearms/gear. It’s now just a habit when I invest in something. My latest was for my labradar. Nice to be able to just grab the case and know it has the labradar, stand, battery pack and cables.

Thought I would share one more thing. When I’m looking for a new hard case, I will grab the internal dimensions off the pelican site. I then lay those dimensions out on the floor with painters tape. That way I can lay my guns (or whatever) within that taped rectangle to see how things might fit.
Yeah once my build is finished I’ll be around 50” and 18-20lbs but I’m considering a suppressed route and hate to buy two cases in the end.

[Not sure what case had the negative foam review but just wanted to note]

Never had an issue standard Pelican/Storm/Hardigg foam not being able support any rifle, so there’s no worries there if you go with one of theirs. Personally I like the firm & clean finished look and added protection of the closed cell foam so I snagged sheets off of amazon for all of my cases. Probably just my OCD that led me to doing so and not for any real added value lol.

you live near a military town, there’s a lot of peeps and warehouses that usually have stacks of surplus Storm/Pelican/Hardigg cases for sale at a fairly cheap price (if you’re trying to buy on a budget). If not, you can buy em anywhere and cut the foam yourself or order custom foam cutouts to match your rig.

As far as drag bags being used for range trips, you can go as expensive as a Tac Ops/Eagle/Eberlestock or as cheap as Condor/Blackhawk if it’s just meant to serve as an enclosed case for carrying from car to firing line. Any will do you well.
Yeah there is one military surplus store somewhat local but like I said I get le discounts so price is much cheaper and shipping is pennies in comparison to actual costs. As far as drag bags I typically drive my vehicle right up to the range since the family has a private setup so I would most likely just use the pelican all around. It’d be a plus if it was a wheeled pelican version since the rifle will be weighing close to 20lbs itself. I’d rather not lug it around unless need be

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Yeah once my build is finished I’ll be around 50” and 18-20lbs but I’m considering a suppressed route and hate to buy two cases in the end.
Gotcha. One other thing to keep in mind is the perimeter of foam you will need. Meaning the minimum amount of foam needed between your gun and the outside of the case. Higher quality (denser) closed cell will allow you to have a thinner perimeter.

If you buy a Pelican off the shelf, I recommend avoiding the pick n pluck foam. I’m not a fan.
Yeah I’d like to find the trace and cut version. I’ve seen pluck ones in the past and they look cheap and I’d rather have a close to perfect fit instead of the blocks having gaps.

Gotcha. One other thing to keep in mind is the perimeter of foam you will need. Meaning the minimum amount of foam needed between your gun and the outside of the case. Higher quality (denser) closed cell will allow you to have a thinner perimeter.
I actually didn’t put much thought into that aspect. I’ll have to check and see what the pelican thickness is.

Yeah there is one military surplus store somewhat local but like I said I get le discounts so price is much cheaper and shipping is pennies in comparison to actual costs. As far as drag bags I typically drive my vehicle right up to the range since the family has a private setup so I would most likely just use the pelican all around. It’d be a plus if it was a wheeled pelican version since the rifle will be weighing close to 20lbs itself. I’d rather not lug it around unless need be
+1 on wheels for the larger cases. Not sure what kind of car you have, but it also makes it a lot easier to roll it into the cargo area of my SUV.