• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gun shops Washington DC/Gettysburg Area

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    The family is on a trip to the den of snakes and the Gettysburg PA area. Id like to find a nice shop nearby so that I can pick myself up some powder to bring home to MA.

Im guessing its probably safer to wait until Im up in PA as having a primer in DC will probably get my family thrown in jail.

Any suggestions of where to shop?

Thanks for your time.

If you get near Mananas Virginia try Virginia Arms. Virginia Arms Co.

Ask for Bernie the owner. I dont know how much powder they carry but he has some nice tactical stuff and good people. In fact I think Rob turned me on to the Hide. Too bad, you just missed the Nations Gun Show, one of the biggest in the country and you could have found anything you wanted. Have fun while here.

Redding's hardware in Gettysburg has a good selection of firearms and usually quite a bit of reloading components in stock. I haven't been there recently so I can't say much for their current inventory. There is also a shop north of Gettysburg called Taylor's Trading Post, lots of guns and reloading stuff too. Depending on your route home, Shyde's in Lebanon PA is worth a stop also.

Steve

Redding's hardware in Gettysburg has a good selection of firearms and usually quite a bit of reloading components in stock. I haven't been there recently so I can't say much for their current inventory. There is also a shop north of Gettysburg called Taylor's Trading Post, lots of guns and reloading stuff too. Depending on your route home, Shyde's in Lebanon PA is worth a stop also.

Steve

I will agree with Redding Hardware with the caveat that they are way over priced on a lot of things. They PO'ed a few people in the area when they had bricks of 22s on sale for $90. However, they occasionally have good deals on used firearms.

The only places I can think of that have powder are probably a bit out of your way.

Do not take anything Gun related into DC.

I think I have read of the guy that had a single empty casing in his vehicle and was charged with illegal possession of ammo (Felony in DC). No sense poking that bear.

There is a Cabella's outside of Allentown that usually has powder. Prices were fair for demand last time I was there in Feb.

Not sure ur proposed travel route and how much and what powder ur looking to get. But here's a couple off the top of my head:
    Bass Pro, Harrisburg Pa.
    Cabelas, Hamburg Pa.
    Jim Hakes Sporting Goods, Wrightsville Pa.
    Trop Gunshop, Etown Pa.
    I've never been to Shyde's in Lebanon but heard it was a decent place.

If you go to Trop Gun shop you can use the indoor range...the best in the region. 12 lanes 19yds deep. You can rent a handgun or rifle with a suppressor too. Loads of fun. Bass Pro, Cabelas and places like them have crazy high prices..though sometimes they have more inventory..but not always.

Mentioned Guns + DC on the internet... the Feds are probably already at your door :p

Mentioned Guns + DC on the internet... the Feds are probably already at your door :p

Surprised that they were selling 5.56 and .45 ACP demilled cartridge keychains in the Museum of American History on the Third Deck where the America at War section is displayed. I thought that local resident was just recently found guilty by the DC court for having a round that misfired and some musket balls. How does that dffer from a brass case with a projectile set atop it?

I guess its okay to own the ammunition components the govt is selling.

We capped off the DC trip tonight watching the Sunset Parade over at the Iwo Jima Memorial. Great Show and I was impressed by the Marines staying around after to speak with the public. It was hot out and Im sure they would rather have been getting out of their dress blues. Kids enjoyed hefting a Garand, man those rifles are beat.

We begin our trip North tomorrow to Round Top Camp Ground. The harware store in Gettysburg will probably get a look. Ill only be ble to talk the family so far off the beaten path in order to look for some components.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Surprised that they were selling 5.56 and .45 ACP demilled cartridge keychains in the Museum of American History on the Third Deck where the America at War section is displayed. I thought that local resident was just recently found guilty by the DC court for having a round that misfired and some musket balls. How does that dffer from a brass case with a projectile set atop it?

I guess its okay to own the ammunition components the govt is selling.

We capped off the DC trip tonight watching the Sunset Parade over at the Iwo Jima Memorial. Great Show and I was impressed by the Marines staying around after to speak with the public. It was hot out and Im sure they would rather have been getting out of their dress blues. Kids enjoyed hefting a Garand, man those rifles are beat.

We begin our trip North tomorrow to Round Top Camp Ground. The harware store in Gettysburg will probably get a look. Ill only be ble to talk the family so far off the beaten path in order to look for some components.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

If by some chance you do happen to hit Cabela's, which I highly recommend if you haven't been to a Cabela's before, could you check the Gun Library for me so I don't have to waste my time calling them? We all know that if you stop there, you're going to the Gun Library anyway.:p

Jokes on me. With so much to see and do I dont think Ill find time to get to any stores.

From dawn to dusk my day has been filled with "right flank" this and "left flank" that.

I might get lucky and hit Reddings but the kids/wife have done so well putting up wth all my history bullshit Im not sure I could subject them to a gun store.