• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun storage

tomcatmv

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2017
Central Texas
Just curious what y'all are using to protect your guns from rust in storage (safe). I have a few that I only shoot a couple times a year and have been using those Rem oil wipes but they're sometimes hard to find so I'm thinking just an old t-shirt rag and some Rem oil? Anything work better?

2 desiccant and 1 long dry rod for each safe. One of the desiccants is a plug in model and that gets recharged the first week of every month. I also run some oil through each barrel that same week.

So, I have used this stuff....def old school...for a very long time on very high end skeet shotguns that were campaigned in tournaments and practice in all kinds of weather, heat, humidity, etc. Never a touch of rust.

I also like Birchwood Casey Sheath for a spray on rust prevention. Not thick or stinky. Works well.

I think Rem oil is the last thing I would use for rust prevention, personally.

Check your humidity levels and see if you even need a heat source in the safe. I hang a bullfrog rust shield in the safes and change it out once a year, no rust at all.

E870D033-8E49-4A65-9620-D32160BE0B75.jpeg

I use two in my 65cf safe but the smaller safes use one. I doubt the majority of gun owners have safes larger than 50cf.

I use a silicone cloth on metal, never use it on wood - it will darken. Silicone doesn't evaporate/dry like oils. That and a big desiccant container which renews by plugin it to an ac outlet every 3-months or so.

For long term storage I wax the whole gun - all the metal and wood. I use Renaissance Wax, which is what museums use for preserving all their stuff.

Reactions: tomcatmv
Thanks guys, I think I'll try the B-C Sheath. My safes are in a climate controlled environment so I've never thought I needed a golden rod or similar. I do use the silicone gun socks for my lever guns but they don't work so well on scoped rifles.

Do you guys run a dry patch down the barrel before you shoot or just shoot it out?

Thanks guys, I think I'll try the B-C Sheath. My safes are in a climate controlled environment so I've never thought I needed a golden rod or similar. I do use the silicone gun socks for my lever guns but they don't work so well on scoped rifles.
Dang, I forgot…they changed the name to Barricade for some reason…maybe didn’t want to sound like a brand of prophylactics. Lol.
Same stuff, just diff name now.

Biggest thing is keeping the moisture out. In an air conditioned house it’s really not that big of an issue. If your safe is in a garage or leaky basement that’s when you’ll have a problem. In those cases a dehumidifier rod works as well as anything is going to.

For oil to coat with and prevent rust you can use just about anything, it’s not as critical like it is when talking about lubricating moving parts. CLP, engine oil, gun oil, fish oil, diesel fuel, it all will work. You could even use mineral oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, or even bacon grease. Mineral oil and olive oil has some good benefits when it comes to handling safety since it’s food grade, you don’t have to worry about chemicals soaking into your skin when touching it. I oil my knives with one or the other to prevent rust.

I pull my guns out of the safes twice per year and inspect/give a light coat of CLP. One of those times (so...annually), I remove all of the stocks and get under there too. I have a lot more blued and wood stocked guns than others, so they take a bit more attention to keep them looking like new.

Only deviation is that I'll use Ballistol on my handguns that have ivory or stag grips, or have an expensive coated finish of some type.

It is a labor of love. I really don't mind the 6-8 hours it costs me twice per year. Many times it is the only time I'll handle a certain firearm that may have been passed down to me...and then I get to reminisce about the times and places I've seen with that person.