• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Vault

country888

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
Nickelsville, VA
Question for the gun room gurus. The wife and I are looking to build a new house in the near future, iv always said if I build a new home im going to put a walkin safe. For any of you that have done it, is it worth it? I know there is going to be quiet a bit more work and expense so is that worth more than a nice safe. I have a Liberty Franklin 50 and a good sized cannon safe now.

Also what vault door did you go with? Id like to stay under $4000, really around $3000 or so.

Thanks for any input or advice.

I had a porch we turned into my gun room / reloading room. I stripped the walls bare and sheet metal'ed the room then dry walled over it. For the door I just for now did an internal door with keypad bolt. But I can get a nice door for that. I wouldn't go too crazy with the door because much of what u need is just like an exterior door. The more attention you draw to the door the more apt people are going to want to know what's inside. To me. Low key was best. Stealth safe.

We built a gun vault/ safe room when building our new house. Worth every dollar. 10 in concrete walls and ceiling with rebar. Went with American Security vault door from a somewhat local dealer. If I remember correctly it was under $3000 for the door. Sheetrocked the inside to look like any other room. Added slat board on the walls and some cabinets down low for ammo and powder storage. Doubles as a storm shelter here in tornado alley. Worst part was installing the door. They are HEAVY. And drilling the holes in the concrete for the door bolts to lock into was a pain in the ass.

Thanks men! Im looking to build at least a 10x10 room in the basement, 8" thick proored rebar reinforced concrete walls and ceiling. Was looking at outdoorsmen steel doors and smiths security door, both look well built vault doors and at a decent price. I do want a thick outer plate, and im sure it will talk a few big guys to set it. I will have a work area/reloading room also and the vault will be from there.

We built a gun vault/ safe room when building our new house. Worth every dollar. 10 in concrete walls and ceiling with rebar. Went with American Security vault door from a somewhat local dealer. If I remember correctly it was under $3000 for the door. Sheetrocked the inside to look like any other room. Added slat board on the walls and some cabinets down low for ammo and powder storage. Doubles as a storm shelter here in tornado alley. Worst part was installing the door. They are HEAVY. And drilling the holes in the concrete for the door bolts to lock into was a pain in the ass.

Dang... - Not gun room, more like SAFE room :) Nicely done !

We have a 10'x11' concrete room in our newly built home. Walls and ceiling are 8" thick reinforced concrete. The safe door (not yet installed) is American Security brand that I purchased through a dealer in Iowa because there wasn't anyone local selling them. I think I have about $4500 into the door with shipping. We went with an "in-swing" model to use the room for a storm shelter. The rough structure and door have cost about $7k thus far. I will be finishing the inside with shelves and cabinets and that will probably add another $1k. I'm still under the price of two large commercial guns safes and have WAY more room.

Put lots of thought into what you want to use this space for. Consider electrical access, HVAC, humidity control, communications, etc.