• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Guns and coffee

Today’s first cup
FDB667A7-0619-4CEF-B14F-298E1DFC5858.jpeg

Reactions: MJF and DubfromGA
I’m loving this thread...

Me, too.

Stellar guns, great insight and stories, cool folks and coffee.....glorious coffee. (y)

Best thread on the worldwide interwebs.

This thread needs more wheelguns

It's a rare time when I can respond with a wheelgun....I have so few of them. Almost all my gear is comprised of bottom feeders.

When wearing drawstring shorts/pants and shuffling around the house or doing yardwork this little fella is always holstered in pocket. Airweight, reliable, minute-of-ribs capability and absent of any stupid internal lock that S&W shit their bed with.

First cup of coffee this morning.

Yeah wouldn't expect so. A big GAW acceptance stamp would be just lines.

Nah just some Garand walnut so the history of the warrior becomes one with the knife. Keeping that history from becoming firewood is a worthy cause.

If you haven't seen some of my other posts rubbing linseed oil on things is one of my passions.

Indeed.

Finally got around to getting a set of grips that require some linseed oil tlc every so often.

I've been missing out all these years. G10 has been what I've run for the most part....grippy as hell and trouble free. These cocobolos have surprised me with their bite. I'm a fan.

Next it'll be time to add a rifle that's stocked in wood that requires such. Been pining for an M1A.

Winchester 69a I rebuilt a few years back that I used tung oil on. Toying with the idea of making an accurized version in the shop, just done have any spare machine time. Such a fun little rifle. Maybe a model 75 rebuild is in the future.
View attachment 7493717

The Nescafé is the hurry up out the door brew around here. Bustelo is the real deal though.

My kids rifles I refinished in linseed oil....made them into mini M40s.

1607346541824.png

All these nice wheelguns is making me lust after another one to pair with my 640 Pro. @Bigfatcock @pmclaine what do you recommend for a 44mag/44spcl?

Im not an owner of any .44's of any variety.

I am a fan of Smith and Wesson though......pre woke era only.

Living in the Northeast there seems to be a great quantity of revolvers that spent their life in grandpas night table and saw little use.

A friend of mine has me looking for a K22/Model 17 for him.

I have a shop near to me that buys estates and usually has lots of wheels to choose from.

I was there Friday and these are some of the .22s available....

1607346951339.png

1607346975311.png

Last edited:
Well.....seems like my son and his girlfriend have been getting into my coffee at higher rate than I realized. Gonna have to replenish the fodder that I've been packing into my refillable K-cup things. This stuff is super in this application. Beyond super. Excellent flavor and you simply can't beat the value.

Luckily this old guy had a stash of the regular K-cups on hand.

Second cup of the day about to go down the hatch.
Pistola is typical of what I carry. This one happened to be locked, loaded and stashed in the kitchen...easy to get to if needed.

Living in the Northeast there seems to be a great quantity of revolvers that spent their life in grandpas night table and saw little use.

I have a shop near to me that buys estates and usually has lots of wheels to choose from.

View attachment 7494196

View attachment 7494198

$685?

Shit...…..I might need to fly out to Mass

Love the Python!
This thread had made me realize how much I love revolvers. Looks like I'll finally get the 4" Blued Python I have always wanted.
It was my father's first duty weapon. He shot the shit out of it for practice, competition and just for fun. A lot of blue wear from the probable million draws from holster, I still have the original black basketweave leather Sam Browne rig he carried too.

This was my Dads Blackhawk. He had always wanted to have it Nickel plated, so I did it as a tribute to him after he passed.
I have shot a lot of very heavy 45 Colt loads with 300gn XTPs and a ton of H110. {1378 fps} o_O

IMG_3605.jpg

I might need to drop some digital bread crumbs to find my way back to this thread!
What just happened ?

Reactions: bunny too

View attachment 7494196

View attachment 7494198
What’s this place called in Mass? I may have to send my brother over to see if he can’t find me a good one.

I believe so yes. Pardon my ignorance on the model, is it found in the serial?

If it was made before the late 50s, it won't have a model number. Back then the Model 19 was called the Combat Magnum.

If it does have a model number, it will be in the frame's crane recess:
1607444012314.png

Reactions: camocorvette
If it was made before the late 50s, it won't have a model number. Back then the Model 19 was called the Combat Magnum.

If it does have a model number, it will be in the frame's crane recess:
View attachment 7495261

Got it and thanks. I just went and looked. Mod. 19-3.

EDIT: Serial begins with 4k2 which should be a 1973 model according to my googling. This should be correct, I believe he purchased it new that year. I'm pretty sure he carried this up to the "plastic fantastic" Glocks came in and I'm not sure what year that switch happened.
@308pirate - I added my serial search result in case you or anyone else is curious. I am a nerd for guns with a cool history and I'm glad you questioned me because I knew this but it had been years since I last dug into it so memory had faded a bit. I remember that this weapon did see actual action once in the '70s.

Last edited:
Just a little piece of info for those that aren't S&W nerds. The number after the model number (19-3) indicates a change in the design of that model and is used to date Smith's. When we say no dash, that means the original design.

Just a little piece of info for those that aren't S&W nerds. The number after the model number (19-3) indicates a change in the design of that model and is used to date Smith's. When we say no dash, that means the original design.

In engineering-speak it's S&W's way of controlling product configuration. They use dash numbers instead of revision letters like many other manufacturers do.

While modern day S&W semi autos don't have model numbers in their marketing names, I would not be surprised at all if they do for internal use. It would be stupid to create a whole new way of managing design revisions just because something is new.

In any case, S&W semi autos did have model numbers instead of names until the advent of the M&P striker-fired polymer pistols.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
The names were cool. Combat Magnum sounds better than Model 19. Combat Masterpiece, Heavy Duty, Outdoorsman, all beat Model 15, Model 20, Model 23.