• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing guns and weather

blazinpixels

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Rochester MN
im not sure if this has been posted before i couldnt really find anything. but its been about 1 to 30 degrees outside and my rifles and handguns are in the garage in a safe.

is super cold weather bad? as long as i clean and oil them up once a month or so i should be fine right?

Re: guns and weather

I would think they should be fine, do you have a dehumidifier in the safe? The bad news is when you take them from cold to warm or vice versa, its the rapid temp change that causes condensation and then rust. I suppose if you kept them always cold or always warm it shouldn't be much of a problem. But with the cold It does seem like there will be some moisture creeping in.

okay cool. there in the truck now i got to move them upstairs to the warm and i guess i will just watch over them and make sure to oil them today. thanks for the info

When the temp rises fast at high humidity, large cast iron tools are at risk for rust, if left at outdoor temps.

I cover the table saw and other things with an old sheet to slow the convection of warm wet air.

But in a shop with a concrete floor and even one light bulb of heat, there is no real danger of condensation.

I put a always burning 60 watt bulb in the safe. (I use a 130 volt bulb...lasts about 5 times as long on a 120 volt circuit) Keeps the contents relatively warm and dry. With EEZOX and a bulb...NO problems. JMHO

Dehumidifer and oil are your friends. As long as you use these, especially the oil, you should be fine.

Worry more about the humidity than cold. Minnesota garages are horrible places to store firearms. A few of my friends heirloom rifles were horribly pitted after a month in the garage. Another friends rifles rusted in a damp basement. Also, a gun safe or cabinet is better than a case. Silicon impregnated gun socks are your friend.

Mine are in my safe in my uninsulated garage with a dehumidifier in the safe. I can't really say that I've had any problems. I noticed a small amount of surface rust on one of my rifles that really needs to be duracoated, but it wiped off with a clp wipe. The problem with that is that I didn't think to wipe it down prior to putting it into the safe so there really was no protection on it from the moment it went into the safe. Since then I have not had any problems. If you don't have a "hot stick" or dehumidifier in your safe, spend the $30 to $50 to get one. I can tell the difference in the air temp inside the safe to outside the safe when I open the door! Also as mentioned the gun sock would be a great idea as well, I think I'll get me a few to put my guns in for extra protection!