• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith - Brass damage question

Armor_Patriae

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2021
New York State
Hello,

I had a question for the gunsmith crowd about damage to my brass after firing. I have a Bad Rock Precision southfork in .308 Win. with a 23" barrel that's only about 6 months old. I have run 168gr SMK BTHP through it almost exclusively. The last PRS match I went to was the first with this rifle and while struggling at the match for several reasons (mainly shooter stupidity), I noticed some kinks to my ejected brass right near the neck. I policed up a few spent rounds and almost all of them had identical "dent" marks on the neck causing the rim to be bent. The brass does eject farther than any other bolt action I've owned due to the fixed ejector but I recorded the extraction/ejection and it doesn't seem to be hitting anything on the way out. I attached some pictures below. Anybody know what could be causing this???

Thank you!
IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

I'm not familiar with this particular weapon but it could be from one of two things:
1. If it has a plunger ejector (unlikely, usually on gas guns), it could be from a very aggressive plunger spring.
2. Since it's not, as you describe, on all pieces of brass, and you were using the gun in a match, it's likely you weren't cycling the bolt consistently. In other words, you being under pressure during competition, were cycling the bolt aggressively periodically and the ejector was flipping the brass back into the receiver.

Look closely at the receiver for signs of brass on or near the side where the brass is ejected.

My Bighorn was doing this and I found it to be the case mouth hitting the side of the receiver. I placed a small piece of Velcro felt on the receiver behind the ejection port and the problem went away.
CCB82731-1C30-4265-A588-75A2EA61A074.jpeg

That case mouth dent is consistent with the brass out of my buddies JP LRP-07. It's totally possible you’re running that bolt hard and fast and that case mouth is smacking the shit out of the rear of the ejection port.

Here is a still from a video I had recorded of me running a stage last month. Notice the neck at the rear of the receiver. It strikes that piece of black Velcro, bounces off, and yeets itself to the 3:30 position.
19150F54-90BF-4E16-A335-085FD0028380.jpeg

That thing has a mechanical ejector so put a empty case in it and see where it is making contact when you pull the bolt back.
Wear eye protection cause you know where that case is going.

Reactions: Wheezy
I had a 308 years ago in a model 7 that would send the necks on the chamber when extracting a fired round.
That’s a push feed with spring ejector, the south fork action is control round feed with a mechanical ejector. It shouldn’t hit anything laterally until it’s at the back of the bolts travel so whacking against to the lugs etc inside the action isn’t an issue.

Last edited: