• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith Recommendations?

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
I am wanting to build a new hunting rifle starting the first of the year. I want it chambered in 30-06. Components that I have acquired is a 700 LA,Manners EH6A already inletted and bottom metal and trigger.
I have had some rifles built so this is not my first rodeo.
Please give me some recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
I already called LRI for quotes and they wanted $850.00 for just skim bedding so that knocked them out.

My votes go to Altus Shooting, TS Customs, Phoenix Custom Rifles, and Southern Precision Rifles! Awesome to deal with. In my experience they have been friendly, knowledgeable, easy to contact and very fair on prices/lead times.

I currently have a full build on the way from Altus.

Another one I'll mention is DMR LLC (Dane Miller Rifles) I havent ordered from them yet, but he was very accomadating over the phone and had excellent lead times.

Most of the gunsmiths recomended around here are of quality. Biggest factor is lead times.

If you guys keep recommending my gunsmith my short wait times are going to increase :LOL: TS Customs is awesome.

Lot's of great gunsmiths these days, some top ones already well represented in this thread.

I am wanting to build a new hunting rifle starting the first of the year. I want it chambered in 30-06. Components that I have acquired is a 700 LA,Manners EH6A already inletted and bottom metal and trigger.
Thanks in advance.
I'll throw my name in the hat. www.oxfirearms.com

LRI
Mile High Shooting

experience with both. Would use either again.

With LRI is best to have them stock it out of a flat top if possible (they used to keep some on hand iirc), less up front $ in the stock vs paying for a “finished one” they work on. Look up a video of how they do stock work. Its unreal.

I was on a budget so had LRI do the BA and put in a stock with a chassis. Still shot lights out.

If they still have the 700 group buy going, its a no brainer IMAO.

SAC
Crescent Customs
GAP

That $850 quote is not for just skim bedding.
Let me clarify myself on this. You are exactly right. The $850 charge is for inletting a flat top and bedding. My stock is already inletted,so they told me they would fill it in and inlet it again and bed it. I already payed Manners to do that. I have watched there video's and it looks like they do great work.

Let me clarify myself on this. You are exactly right. The $850 charge is for inletting a flat top and bedding. My stock is already inletted,so they told me they would fill it in and inlet it again and bed it. I already payed Manners to do that. I have watched there video's and it looks like they do great work.

For sure. I really would like LRI to do the inletting this time around. Good luck with your choice. Definitely not easy lol

I would like to have it built locally by Accurate Ordnance but at this time they are not accepting new orders. They have built me several rifles and they are lasers. The fit and finish is top notch also.

TS Customs
Alpha & Omega
SAC
Radix Precision ( hi Mark?)

Thanks in advance.

Jon Beanland. There MIGHT be some as good, but definitely none better.

John

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Thanks in advance.
Where do you live?

I would like to have it built locally by Accurate Ordnance but at this time they are not accepting new orders. They have built me several rifles and they are lasers. The fit and finish is top notch also.

Did AO say why they aren’t accepting new orders?

Thanks in advance.

BLAKE BARREL AND RIFLE. we can get it done for you. Dm me if you need more information

Did AO say why they aren’t accepting new orders?
They told me maybe the first of next year.

When I asked them recently they pointed me towards Greg Young at Southern Precision (a.k.a. Bugholes).

Reactions: duramaxed
And!!!!! I would absolutely recommend KMW Precision ^^^^^^^^^. Terry builds a phenomenal rifle, but I assume he is still swamped by all the LEO and MIL orders though.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Robert Gradous, he builds absolute hammers. Very meticulous and not in a hurry. He is like fine wine, and produces rifles that are not sent out before their time. If you aren't patient don't waste your time.

Reactions: bas402 and kthomas
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
I already called LRI for quotes and they wanted $850.00 for just skim bedding so that knocked them out.

I like Phoenix Custom Rifles. Their bedding jobs are a real work of art. They index the barrel run out at 12 O’clock, they just go the extra mile to ensure it’s done right. Helps that they are local to me and wait times have never been longer than 6 weeks.

Reactions: duramaxed
Gradous is out. He don't build on 700 actions
Cant blame him. I received a quote from a top smith for a 700 build and w all the upgrades on the 700 action.... it was higher than my $1800 Defiance.

Did they say why? That seems a little off.