• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gunwerks suppressors

11bar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Hooker, Oklahoma
They just posted a pic on Instagram. I was wondering if anyone out the has had there hands on one and there thoughts?

Reactions: reximus
For the long wait and money required to play the supressor game, my instinct wouldn’t be to buy a new model from a company who is new to building supressors.

Loop back to them in a few years. Until then, buy a known product with good CS.

Reactions: Badfinger
For the long wait and money required to play the supressor game, my instinct wouldn’t be to buy a new model from a company who is new to building supressors.

Advancements in suppressor technology has been pretty flat for years. Every suppressor does the same thing - delays the release of gasses by subjecting them to a series of baffles.

There are small differences between baffle design and materials used. Key distinguishing difference between suppressor systems seems mostly about attachment methods, and perhaps manufacturing quality and QA/QC.

As long as they have the CS, manufacturing quality, and the suppressor checks the boxes for the criteria that you want - then go for it.

Sometimes I think we get too hung up on suppressor "technology".

Nice looking cans but heavy. My ultra 9 is 13.7 oz. Their 6ix is 12.4 oz and the 8ight a whopping 18.5 (1lb 2.5 oz) . I actually ordered an Ultra 5 at 9.4 oz so as to save weight (& length) on my muzzle while hunting....

EED00EEE-DA2B-4288-B1AC-C1AE751FD455.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking cans but heavy. My ultra 9 is 13.7 oz. Their 6ix is 14.8 and the 8ight a whopping 18.5 (1lb 2.5 oz) . I actually ordered an Ultra 5 at 9.4 oz so as to save weight (& length) on my muzzle while hunting....

View attachment 7010329
Are you sure about those Ultra weights? Are those your actual weights or you stating advertised? Cause I think the ultra 9 was in the high 11oz range and the ultra 7 in the 9oz range

Reactions: Holliday
He's quoting the weight of the direct thread (DT) format Ultra 9, and 13.7 is correct for that.
Ok, that makes sense. I didn't think about that configuration with the mount welded up in the can

I currently have both the 6IX and 8IGHT in hand and have used both quite a bit. Both Suppressors are built very well.

The 6IX being discreet, light and small is great for that concept, not so much for sound suppression, but that's by design due to it's size, you're going to sacrifice performance regarding sound suppression. I've ran it on my SBR, and currently have it on my 223 custom bolt rifle.

The 8IGHT, being a little larger diameter compared to the majority being really close to an inch and 3/4, and it's not that heavy, I like the aesthetics, and the sound suppression is optimal, I run it on my 6.5 PRC, it does have the adjustable apertures, but I'm not sure if that's still a go with the ATF trying to serialize those as well.

I am planning on doing some reviews of both or one review of both cans. I like the features they have to offer, great suppressors.

Anyone have any longer term reviews of the Gunwerks 6ix and 8eight suppressors? I just won a cert for a free one and am trying to decide which one to get.

Between the 2, go with the 8ight. Shooting next to each other, my brothers 6ix is quite a bit louder due to the smaller size. Ive been extremely happy with my 8ight and I’m waiting for my 2nd one to be approved any day now.

The Gunwerks 6ix and 8eight suppressors have been around for several years. I don't have a clue how well they work, or anything about them, but I do know they've been around for quite a few years now. Never heard one in person or seen one in the wild...So, can't give any info on how well they perform.

But I do agree, that I'd stick with something with the major name brands for your first can. And given the specs of the cans listed above, and the weights... I'd get a Nomad-LT, TBAC Magnus, or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L if max suppression is what you want. Those are the 3 quietest suppressors on the market right now, according to @TBACRAY's tests.

For reference, compared to the specs of the Gunwerks cans listed above...Which seem super heavy...

All weights are with NO mount in them.

The Nomad-LT (8.5") is 12.6 oz
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L (9") is 12.4 oz
TBAC Magnus HUB (9") is 14.7 oz.

Between the 2, go with the 8ight. Shooting next to each other, my brothers 6ix is quite a bit louder due to the smaller size. Ive been extremely happy with my 8ight and I’m waiting for my 2nd one to be approved any day now.
Good feedback. What cartridges were you shooting to compare? The 6ix is appealing because I mainly want to put this on my hunting rifle and like the smaller size and lighter weight. How was the 6ix from that perspective? Quiet enough to avoid ear pro while hunting? My hunting rifle is a 300 WSM.

On a side note does anyone have any recommendations on how to get in contact with Gunwerks? I have called a bunch of times, emailed, submitted via their website form submission, and I can't get anyone to respond. Seems strange. It's been a week.

Good feedback. What cartridges were you shooting to compare? The 6ix is appealing because I mainly want to put this on my hunting rifle and like the smaller size and lighter weight. How was the 6ix from that perspective? Quiet enough to avoid ear pro while hunting? My hunting rifle is a 300 WSM.

On a side note does anyone have any recommendations on how to get in contact with Gunwerks? I have called a bunch of times, emailed, submitted via their website form submission, and I can't get anyone to respond. Seems strange. It's been a week.

We were shooting 22-250 AI, 22 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, and 7 Saum. Strictly for hunting, I think the 6ix can be helpful in that regard. You could fire a couple of shots and not have any issues, but if this is a "do all" hunting and range can, I'd lean towards the 8ight. While it's a little heavier, I don't find the weight or size difference to be that much of a hassle. I'd take the extra suppression any day. I've also heard they are working on a titanium line of suppressors, but I have no clue when they will actually be available.

For what it's worth, our dad has a TBAC Ultra 7 (30 cal) and I didn't feel it was any more quiet than my 8ight.

As for contacting GW, I'm surprised they haven't gotten back to you. They are usually pretty responsive.

If you want a high-quality smaller and lighter can with excellent suppression for a hunting rifle, get the Dead Air Nomad-Ti or Otter Creek Hydrogen-S. I have shot magnums through all of my centerfire rifle cans, and the Nomad-LT, Hydrogen-L, and Hydrogen-S are all sufficient for 1-2 shots while hunting. The Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L I can shoot all day without ear plugs. The Hydro-S is about 7 DB louder (still under 140 DB), but still very quiet for its size and weight. It's 7" long 1.625" OD, and only weighs 9.5oz without a mount in it, and it's rated for up to .300 RUM/Norma Mag.

I shot 3-shot groups through my 7mm RemMag off and on all afternoon Sunday, without any earplugs, and using my Hydrogen-L, and it never triggered my tinnitus. And shot a few rounds through the Nomad-LT. No ears ringing at all.

Last edited:
If you want a high-quality smaller and lighter can with excellent suppression for a hunting rifle, get the Dead Air Nomad-Ti or Otter Creek Hydrogen-S. I have shot magnums through all of my centerfire rifle cans, and the Nomad-LT, Hydrogen-L, and Hydrogen-S are all sufficient for 1-2 shots while hunting. The Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L I can shoot all day without ear plugs. The Hydro-S is about 7 DB louder, but still very quiet for its size and weight. It's 7" long 1.625" OD, and only weighs 9.5oz without a mount in it, and it's rated for up to .300 RUM/Norma Mag.

I shot my 7mm RemMag without-it earplugs this weekend through a Hydrogen-L and Nomad-LT. No ears ringing at all.

The guy has a cert for a free suppressor, probably wise to use it.

@CORam, If sound suppression was the main goal, I would be looking at the larger of the two cans. Especially if you are trying to protect your hearing with no hearing protection. Keep in mind that no suppressor is technically hearing safe with supersonic centerfire ammo.

I have no experience with gunwerks suppressors. But a free suppressor is dope!

Reactions: spife7980
The guy has a cert for a free suppressor, probably wise to use it.

@CORam, If sound suppression was the main goal, I would be looking at the larger of the two cans. I have no experience with gunwerks suppressors. But a free suppressor is dope!
Ahhh, didn't know it was free. Hell yeah, roll with it. 😂

I'd go with the 8eight as well, since he wants max suppression. 👍🏼

Reactions: kthomas
If he was spending his own cold hard cash, yeah I agree, probably some better options.

But fuck it, free suppressor! I would take it.
Free is free... Even if it's not a great can, it was friggin free. Are they covering the tax stamp, too? If so, that's even better. If not, still only out $200 ain't bad.

Reactions: kthomas
Well I got everything sorted out with Gunwerks and chose to go with the 8ight. Hopefully the weight isn't too bad for a hunting rifle. I spoke with Chris at Gunwerks and he was very knowledgable about their suppressors and their designs, and I feel they put a lot of effort into designing a good suppressor, and he explained some features that it has that are appealing, some major ones being:

-The threads are outside the taper seat which should keep gases and contaminants from reaching the threads.
-They put a ton of effort into ensuring no POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed conditions, and consistent velocity between the two as well, ie. limited "suppressor push."

I am a suppressor newbie, but can appreciate those features. They are not covering the tax stamp, but hey, I'll take it. I am now waiting for my ATF forms to go through. Thanks for all of the feedback. Once I get some time with it, if I remember, I will share my experience with it.

I’m hoping my 2nd 8ight will be approved any day now… I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all!

Reactions: CORam
They put a ton of effort into ensuring no POI shift between suppressed and unsuppressed conditions,
While I have zero basis for any criticism of Gunwerks suppressors, I have to say that this statement really raised my eyebrows as POI change is dependent on the barrel its screwed on to as well as the weight and distribution of weight of the can....not sure how they could make such a statment.

Reactions: reubenski and FuhQ
To be honest I don't remember his exact words, but the summary is that they worked hard to minimize POI shift. He may not have said "no POI shift." Sorry if I mislead.

Reactions: Baron23
To be honest I don't remember his exact words, but the summary is that they worked hard to minimize POI shift. He may not have said "no POI shift." Sorry if I mislead.
That's probably more like it.

I would imagine mounting interface, concentricity and minimal tolerances all factor into repeatable and reduced POI shifts.

But I'm not a suppressor designer or manufacturer.