• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Guy tells a hunting story

Thats the one. And yeah, the guy was a nutjob. But interwoven in his craziness he saw what was coming and tried to warn people back in the 80's, about the time George H.W. Bush was president and proudly announced plans for 'a kinder, gentler nation', as he opened the southern border, and "A New World Order."

His conspiracy theories almost forty years ago were so bizzare, so unfathonable, the pandemic, the forced vaccines, computer chip implants, a cashless society, a one world government headed by a cabal of globalists, aka NWO, the re education camps Hillary later flippantly threatened to put Trump supporters in in 2016, he was labled a nutjob. People would walk away laughing, including me sometimes. It took a crazy to see the crazy that was coming.

He sold the range in the early 2000's and bugged out to a 400 acre ranch in some of the most rugged remote Hill Country there is, something he always planned. The range is still there, shut down and overgrown. The new owner can't develope it because it's been declared a bio hazard from all the lead supposedly in the berms.

I jumped the fence and went looking around a couple years ago. There was a ghosttown, eerie silence about it as I walked the ranges, some of which I built in '85 with borrowed bulldozers. The range shack was gone scraped with no sign of a footprint as well as the shooting benches and canopys. The only footprints were now from coyotes and a bobcat that had reclaimed it. It once was the bustling mecca and starting point for IPSC in Central Texas as well as a whole gun community that grew from it.
The last time I was there, was in the late 90's I was sighting in my 7mm mag with some new hand loads , it was the middle of the week and I was the only one on the range. He came up to me and told me to stop putting three rounds in the blind mag , only single shot, that was it for me loaded up my gear and never went back , I had been there when his buddies were shooting full auto subguns and M80's , pissed me off , started going to the range over in Leander after that.

Great shot!

But my elite group of old guy hunters and I can hit a fly from 1200 tenths of an inch 9.5 times out of ten with BB guns. :p;)
View attachment 8345113
Turns out they like beer, both the flies and the elite hunters. The spring fly hatch is in late March. Yes I'm serious flies really do like beer so we poor some over the face of the box.

Ha, yucky isn't it! Splat factor is fun through a scope though. We laugh and laugh trying to see who can hit a fly landing on the box the fastest!View attachment 8345120
You shoot them when they are sitting? That's very un-sportsman like. Wing shooting is what a real sportsman does.

Out rabbit hunting near Craig CO years ago with my sons and a friend about my age. Lots of cottontails and a few jacks. The kids had each managed to collect a cottontail or two. My son way out to the left side jumps a jack rabbit and he takes a shot or two at it as it runs away. The jack is running at about a 45 degree angle to the line of us. Each time the kid shoots, the jack picks up another gear and is really moving. I'm on the end of the line to the right. Everybody is trying their luck at finding the right amount to lead this jack to see if they can drop it. I took a shot with the .22 HiPower Savage 99 I was carrying. The jack flipped end over end a few times and lays there graveyard dead. My buddy paced it off at just over 100 yards. I had hit the thing right in the head. My buddy said "You took his face clean off!!" That was the luckiest shot I have ever made. Couldn't repeat it again in a hundred years. My kids still think I am the world's best shot.

Reactions: SanPatHogger
You shoot them when they are sitting? That's very un-sportsman like. Wing shooting is what a real sportsman does.

Oh we have our fair share of wing shots and head shots. If you hit part of the head just right the fly does a fun dance. But its hard to resist seeing how big a splat you can make.

Also fun shooting the nats because just a hole appears in the paper with maybe the tiniest bit of yuck on one of the edges if the hit wasn't centered.

The more flies that are splatted the more the feeding frenzy too.

The last time I was there, was in the late 90's I was sighting in my 7mm mag with some new hand loads , it was the middle of the week and I was the only one on the range. He came up to me and told me to stop putting three rounds in the blind mag , only single shot, that was it for me loaded up my gear and never went back , I had been there when his buddies were shooting full auto subguns and M80's , pissed me off , started going to the range over in Leander after that.
Would that have been the one in Garland off the PGBT and Firewheel?

A guy was telling me about his 25-06 one day. He liked it becasue to hit coyotes at a dead run at 700y. He just put the cross hairs on the end of their nose.
Well all these other stories may not be true, but the .25-06 is a magic caliber. I shoot ten shot one hole groups at 1000 yards all the time. Never misses. However, just to be safe and sure, I limit my shots on game to 250 yards, when the animal is standing still and I have a secure rest and the rifle is steady.

(the Gulf of Mexico is a Big Hole! Hard to miss it, be it ten shots or a hundred)

Reactions: Father O’blivion
Reading through the replies and remembered a story my wife told me. I remarried and she had never shot a gun of any kind before.
She tells me about an officer at her job that told a story to the girls about this german sheperd that had taken a few craps on his lawn, and he was fed up with this. So, one day, officer looks out the window and sees the german sheperd across the street in the neighbors yard,. Officer said he grabbed his 30-06 and when the dog was in front of the house he shot the dog, it fell and officer retrieved the dog. End of the dog.

I called BS. She said but the officer said so. I said, honey, if the officer would have touched off a 30-06 in town, someone would have called the cops. And the other is officer would have gone to jail for discharging a firearm in the city. But more important than that, shooting a 30-06 at a dog in front of a house would have left a hole in the house, and might have killed someone. That means jail/prison time.

I tell my wife not to believe it just because someone says it. People lie to impress.

Reactions: Longshot231
Reading through the replies and remembered a story my wife told me. I remarried and she had never shot a gun of any kind before.
She tells me about an officer at her job that told a story to the girls about this german sheperd that had taken a few craps on his lawn, and he was fed up with this. So, one day, officer looks out the window and sees the german sheperd across the street in the neighbors yard,. Officer said he grabbed his 30-06 and when the dog was in front of the house he shot the dog, it fell and officer retrieved the dog. End of the dog.

I called BS. She said but the officer said so. I said, honey, if the officer would have touched off a 30-06 in town, someone would have called the cops. And the other is officer would have gone to jail for discharging a firearm in the city. But more important than that, shooting a 30-06 at a dog in front of a house would have left a hole in the house, and might have killed someone. That means jail/prison time.

I tell my wife not to believe it just because someone says it. People lie to impress.

And don’t believe it just because someone in authority said it.

I remember being at a gun show years ago, looking at the flashlight parts some guy had. He proceeded to inform me that the Cree LED's were built on the International Space Station.

I find it more entertaining to just listen when these people start spinning yarns than to argue with them, unless it's something that could be a safety issue.

As an example, I was in Walmart one night looking at fishing lures one aisle over from the crossbows, when I heard this guy and his son asking the clerk about using regular carbon arrows in a crossbow instead of bolts, and the clerk thought it was fine. I couldn't let that one slide, because if you know anything about archery, crossbow bolts are shorter and stiffer, with more wall thickness. A regular carbon arrow would explode and be a really bad time for the shooter.

I politely went over and explained this, and all three were thankful, as none of them knew better.

So when you have the opportunity to be "the Wolf", take it. 🤣🤣🤣

Garland Public Gun Range it sounds like. Garland, Texas.
There was one range, if you want to call it that, more like a piece of property some guy on the south east side of Dallas owned on the Trinity River. If he knew and liked you, or rather didn't dislike you, he let you have a key to a gate.

He wasn't on the property most of the time and pretty much didn't care what went on. Along with a range and targets, some 'member' would drag an old wreck out on the property and leave it to shoot up along with old TVs and other junk. I'm surpised someone didn't get shot.

I doubt the place is still open or used as it came under scrutiny when people started shooting into the Trinity River and people using the river reported it.

Last edited:
That doesn't ring a bell, is that even in Texas?
1707596638356.png

@TexPatriot

The reason I ask is because the Garland Public Shooting Range gets their targets from a range in Leander.

But TexPatriot already clarified this is not that range.

Attachments

• 1707596638502.png
    1707596638502.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 18
View attachment 8346001

@TexPatriot

The reason I ask is because the Garland Public Shooting Range gets their targets from a range in Leander.

But TexPatriot already clarified this is not that range.
The shooting range or property I was describing was further south in the Sand Branch area on the Trinity with water treatment plants and gravel pits nearby. It was also located next to a notoriously dangerous, Mogadishu like area that you didn't enter.

Reactions: Ronws
There was one range, if you want to call it that, more like a piece of property some guy on the south east side of Dallas owned on the Trinity River. If he knew and liked you, or rather didn't dislike you, he let you have a key to a gate.

He wasn't on the property most of the time and pretty much didn't care what went on. Along with a range and targets, some 'member' would drag an old wreck out on the property and leave it to shoot up along with old TVs and other junk. I'm surpised someone didn't get shot.

I doubt the place is still open or used as it came under scrutiny when people started shooting into the Trinity River and people using the river reported it.
I think I know the range you are talking about. You were able to shoot more than a hundred yards but the management was squirrelly as hell according to accounts I had heard.

The shooting range or property I was describing was further south in the Sand Branch area on the Trinity with water treatment plants and gravel pits nearby. It was also located next to a notoriously dangerous, Mogadishu like area that you didn't enter.
Yeah DPD used to call that the war zone and no one answers a call there alone.

• Haha
Reactions: TexPatriot
Yeah DPD used to call that the war zone and no one answers a call there alone.
I don't go up to D/FW but heard stories about that range and that war zone nearby.

People said it's an area you don't want to accidently enter and get lost in. Others said they would only travel through safari style if they were in an armored vehicle with bullet proof tires.

1707606505632.png

I don't go up to D/FW but heard stories about that range and that war zone nearby.

People said it's an area you don't want to accidently enter and get lost in. Others said they would only travel through safari style if they were in an armored vehicle with bullet proof tires.

View attachment 8346120
Why do I hear David Attenborough's voice in my head while looking at the photo?

My best was when I was 12 or 13. Killed a crow in flight at about 30 yards, with a sling and a rock. Hit him in the head. :cool:

Why do I hear David Attenborough's voice in my head while looking at the photo?
Or Marlin Perkins of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

"...Looks like Jim has his hands full with that big silverback."

• Haha
Or Marlin Perkins of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

"...Looks like Jim has his hands full with that big silverback."
"Meanwhile, I'll be preparing the butterfly nets to collect specimens."

• Love
Was a table at local poker card room a few months back. Not sure how we got on the subject, but guy at table is telling us about his "friend who was a sniper."

Said that anytime a .gov vip like the President comes to the area, the Secret Service call his friend up and tell him to make sure he stays home and is not within X ( forget the number) amount of miles from the VIP while they are in town.

Seriously can't make that up.

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
Was a table at local poker card room a few months back. Not sure how we got on the subject, but guy at table is telling us about his "friend who was a sniper."

Said that anytime a .gov vip like the President comes to the area, the Secret Service call his friend up and tell him to make sure he stays home and is not within X ( forget the number) amount of miles from the VIP while they are in town.

Meh. Sounds plausible.

Meh. Sounds plausible.

Miles? They must be really worried about the ELR guys.