• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Hand surgery pending any experience?

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
So it looks like I'm at a point if no return. Combination of trigger finger in my index and middle finger on both hands and carpal tunnel causing my hands to be numb and tingly most of the day

Wondering about results people have had. Cortisone shots vs surgery? Has surgery been successful for most people and if I have surgery am I asking for trouble to have both hands done at once and just get it over with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had carpal tunnel surgery done and its about the best thing you can do to alleviate the numbness and weakness associated with carpal tunnel. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

I've had carpal tunnel surgery done and its about the best thing you can do to alleviate the numbness and weakness associated with carpal tunnel. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

I agree completely. Put off my first carpal tunnel too long. As soon as I started having issues with other hand, got the release and moved on quickly.

Takes a little while to get full strength back, but completely worth it.

Thank you for the replies. I think a lot of guys play it off like being tough. As if you get something for living with pain and discomfort. Fact is I just can't bring myself to willingly let someone "hurt" me.

Hit a point where it's constant and I'm dropping stuff or having problem opening things working buttons on my shirts crap like that.

Guess it is time to get sliced

Good luck, NY700. I've had shoulder/elbow/finger overuse injuries a few times and managed to avoid surgery by therapy and time off.

The "numb hands make you think someone else is spanking it" humor gets old fast.

Thank you for the replies. I think a lot of guys play it off like being tough. As if you get something for living with pain and discomfort. Fact is I just can't bring myself to willingly let someone "hurt" me.

Hit a point where it's constant and I'm dropping stuff or having problem opening things working buttons on my shirts crap like that.

Guess it is time to get sliced

Well the other issue is you let it go long enough the nerves get damaged to the point you have to live with that the rest of your life. I almost did that with my neck, an that recovery was along road I had to hoe long an hard because of being stupid.

Stop wasting time...surgery is curative. Injections last at most 6 mo, hand therpy lacks any level I prospective randomized controlled blinded, power tested statistical evidence of efficacy.

And something that is totally off subject, but totally on subject. If they give you any opioids for pain, start taking stool softeners immediately. I didn't after my foot surgery, and I was sitting on the John literally crying because it hurt so bad to shit. I swear, the first one that came out was just like a brick, corners and all. They broke and reset bones, put in a pin and three screws, and what hurt the absolutely f'ng worst? Taking that first dump. I'm not joking. I'm not trying to be gross, but you have been warned.

So it looks like I'm at a point if no return. Combination of trigger finger in my index and middle finger on both hands and carpal tunnel causing my hands to be numb and tingly most of the day

Wondering about results people have had. Cortisone shots vs surgery? Has surgery been successful for most people and if I have surgery am I asking for trouble to have both hands done at once and just get it over with?

sounds like me in a few years
to many years of construction
and to many years left before i can retire

And something that is totally off subject, but totally on subject. If they give you any opioids for pain, start taking stool softeners immediately. I didn't after my foot surgery, and I was sitting on the John literally crying because it hurt so bad to shit. I swear, the first one that came out was just like a brick, corners and all. They broke and reset bones, put in a pin and three screws, and what hurt the absolutely f'ng worst? Taking that first dump. I'm not joking. I'm not trying to be gross, but you have been warned.

Yeah.......personal experience, stay the hell away from Cortisone. Complete waste of time and long term side effects are worse than what it’s intended to cure.

I’ve had both hips replaced and they are a piece of cake. On the second one, I avoided the Oxy and Hydro pain killers altogether. One the first hip, I took the painkillers and I don’t think I dropped a decent dog log deuce for about a month (no exaggeration). On the second one, I took acetominiphin for the first 4 or 5 days. It worked fine, I wasn’t blocked up and I healed much more quickly. Whatever ails you, the surgery is so much easier than it was 10 or 20 years ago, there’s nothing to fear and it’s so much easier, you should go get it done now. Just stay away from Oxy, Hydro and Dilaudid. Stay with either Acetominophin or Ibuprofin.

Last edited:
No hand surgery, but I had shoulder sx. Best advice I got (and followed-with better long term results than those I know that got the same sx and didn't) is this:
follow the surgeon's instructions for recovery EXACTLY. Don't push it before you should, and do the PT!

Stop wasting time...surgery is curative. Injections last at most 6 mo, hand therpy lacks any level I prospective randomized controlled blinded, power tested statistical evidence of efficacy.

Bad advice and factually incorrect. Surgery can wait IF it truly is necessary.

Symptoms manifesting themselves in both limbs is often indicative of a condition OTHER than carpal tunnel.

It's called bi-lateral ulnar palsy and can be nearly completely alleviated through physical therapy.

The only question is if the OP has received a proper diagnosis from a Neurologist?

Symptoms manifesting themselves in both limbs is often indicative of a condition OTHER than carpal tunnel.

It's called bi-lateral ulnar palsy and can be nearly completely alleviated through physical therapy.

The only question is if the OP has received a proper diagnosis from a Neurologist?

Carpal tunnel syndrome involves the Median nerve.It does not involve the Ulnar nerve which at the wrist is in Guyon's canal , and at the elbow is cubital tunnel syndrome. Th EMG NCV test is diagnostic and cunclusive. Respecfully bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome IS bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome ,but the etiology can include the CTS as secondary to systemic illnesses such as: amyloidosis, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, pregnancy....an we can go on and on. the shortest path to relief in competent hands is surgery. Prolonged management for chronic severe symptomatic disease with such complicating findings as thenar atrophy may not improve as surgery may be too late to reverse the permanent damage of the motor endplate from nerve entrapment..Just sayin'

Scheduled a nerve conduction study to be done the beginning of next month.

If you have numbness of your thumb, index, middle, and side of your ring finger next to your middle finger, you have carpal tunnel syndrome. The surgery to fix it is extraordinarily low risk. They are not "hurting" you. They are fixing a problem that can lead to permanent disability. Be glad that something can be done about it and just hope you're not too late. You've probably cut yourself worse working on your car. Don't be a chicken and don't overthink it.

Btw, the NCV is much worse than the surgery if it's anything like the two I had.

A chance to cut is a chance to cure! Lol

ive never had carpal tunnel, but I did cut an extensor tendon in the back of my right hand. After the surgeon put it together I had to wear a cast for four weeks. It IS A BITCH to lose the use of your dominant hand, so I'd see if I could get that one done first

Had trigger finger surgery on both hands (usually comes to both). It is nothing. I lay there and watched the Dr. cut and sew up. Takes 5 minutes and one stitch. Never had carpel tunnel, but had an employee undergo surgery couple of months ago. He was out two days and wore a brace for a couple of weeks. Go get it done ASAP.

Do not do both at the same time. Needing help to wipe your ass is not fun. Believe me, nobody does a good job like you'd do yourself.

I do have some experience. Unfortunatey the guy I "operated" on lost his index finger. On the other hand (no pun intended) the prick did owe me five grand.

I have had carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands, and little finger nerve and tendon repairs done on both little fingers. The little fingers were the results of cuts around the second knuckle down from fingernail. The carpal tunnel surgeries were both a tremendous success, with zero negative side effects, and it was done many years ago. The nerve shot they used to deaden my hand/arm when one was done using local anesthetic was horribly painful, just as the doctor warned me. It felt like he was injecting boiling acid and giving me an electrical shock at the same time. However, he counted backwards from ten and told me the pain would end the moment he got to zero...and he was right.

18 years later, and one little finger won't straighten completely, but it closes and has all the feeling back. Doc says of the possible complications (not straightening vs not closing) I got the one to have as not closing is much more debilitating.

I had an orthopedic hand surgeon who specialized in micro surgery do the work, and I am very pleased with the long term outcomes. He also did repairs to both elbows for tennis elbow, and that worked out great too.

If you need more information, PM or email me, and I'll be happy to give more details.

I though shaving would be the most difficult thing after my dominant hand was done, but shaving was easy. Brushing my teeth took a while as I kept poking myself in the face.

Stinkfinger.jpg

It's not too bad... you will be okay!