• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handguard questions...newbee..need some guidance

llajumpvid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Probably a dumb question. I have a bushmaster orc and want to put a free float handguard on it. Two questions:
1) does the bayonett lug come off? I can't tell if there are two pins holing it on or if its welded on.
2) if it does come off can I put a tube longer than 7" in...or if it doesn't come off will a longer tube fit over it?

I like the midwest industries ss10. Also looking at the Yankee Hill YHM-9430A Specter Length. If I can I'd like to remove the lug and put a finishing ring on. I don't think I could leave the lug on and still put a finishing ring on with the 10".
Educate me please.

Re: Handguard questions...newbee..need some guidance

It should have 2 pins holding the sight/bayonet lug on, They are tapered and only come out 1 way. With my AR the lug had to be cut off to clear the tube, You should be able to mount a longer tube that will fit over the gas block. That may require a low profile gas block, I am unfamiliar with your rifle.
Hope this helps answer your questions
Jim

Okay so I've figured out that the bayonet/sling lug is actually part of the gas block...told you I was a newbee and was probably asking a dumb question.

My question now is if I take off the sling attachment will the midwest or YHM fit over it? or will it require cutting it down some. I can't find any dimensions for these other than length, I know the block is 1.75" tall. If cutting it down any tips on how and what not to do? I have a dremel and ain't scared to use it:). Or is it better to replace the gas block. From what I gather the orc already has the low profile block so I think I'm good to go. Here is the picture of the rifle bushmaster.com

I guess if I order the forend the worst case scenario is I pay to have a gunsmith install and probably end up paying double what I wanted...hell I haven't even fired a round through it yet and have already spent over $400 in accessories/necessities

Nikon Coyote special 3-9x40 blk
burris PEPR or RR high rise cantilever (both are back-ordered so which ever one is in stock first)
Stark SE-1 grip
and probably order the MI SS10 tomorrow which will take me well over the $500 mark and rapidly approaching the cost of the rifle itself. Got to be carful or I'll be all dressed up with no where to go as I won't have funds for ammo...I did order though 400 round before accessories so that I wouldn't run out of money first.

Also is this about the only special tool I would need
http://www.combathunting.com/AR_15_M16_M4-Armorer_s_Wrench_AR_15_M16_M4_CAR.html

Yes your rifle has a low profile gas block on it, You will need that tool and a 1/2" drive torque wrench to torque the barrel nut correctly. I used a dremel to remove the bayonet lug, Follow the install instructions and you should be GTG. Just measure the inside diameter of the handguard and figure out where to cut the lug for clearance, When you are torquing the nut be sure the hole lines up so you can reinstall the gas tube and the gas block assembly

Thank you. Was looking for confirmation.

They are right. You have a nice slim low profile gas block with a sling attach and a lug. They can be cut off with a hack saw and filed or ground to look nice. Touch-up blue or any refinishing spray like KG or Duracoat will darken the metal. This will fit under about any free float tube, most of the large clearance quad rails, and maybe not any of the slim clearance ones like Daniel Defense lite rails or Larue.

well I'm about to give up and take it to a gun smith. I've banged about all I care to trying to get the pins out of the gas block. They haven't budged from what I can tell.

What's a reasonable cost for installing a FF tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LonnieA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well I'm about to give up and take it to a gun smith. I've banged about all I care to trying to get the pins out of the gas block. They haven't budged from what I can tell.

What's a reasonable cost for installing a FF tube? </div></div>

I am in the same situation with my RRA AR. I cant get my 2 pins out, I have tried both sides as I am told they are tapered to go out and in one way.

I'm pretty sure mine need to be pushed out from left to right looking down the barrel. In my searches I saw post where RRA were stated as not being tapered if that helps.

tried penetrating oil on the pins? are you working on a solid surface when your trying to drive the pins out?

I'll give it a shot with the oil. I tried it with using phone books and gave it a few taps laying on the bench as well. I'll get some 2x4's tonight and also stop by home depot to see if they have some concave punches.

Just to wrap this up. Never could get the pins out. So I took it to Sog Armory here in Houston. They replaced the gas block and put on the forend for a total price of $85. $40 of that was the gas block. Worth it to me saving the headache plus what they installed it for was about how much the tools I needed would of cost me. Hind site I would of been ahead to buy a troy forend from them and they'd of installed it for free.

Lonnie, I've taken a couple bushmaster FSPs off and they all used the taper pins and you are right they are horrible to get off. I finally bought one of the brownells FSP bench blocks that encases the front sight and has punch holes where the pins are. Made a big difference. For the one time project, you definitely went the right route. Glad it worked out for you.