• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Handguards- M-Lok vs Key Mod?

WinJim1863

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2018
I have a Ruger PR on the way. On checking my invoice the Ruger model number on line is different from that on my order. Asked the dealer to research and answer was that Ruger had changed the hand guard from M-Lock to Key Mod. I was told that the later was better as it was open source and not Mag Pul only. I've never had a chassis gun before so is one better/more flexible than the other? Assume I have insure accessories like bipod fit Key Mod.

Will appreciate help/advise, JimB

Keymod vs M-Lok is the VHS vs Beta Max of the gun world. Proponents of Keymod say it is easier to install accessories and since it is open source it should theoretically cost less. Proponents of M-Lok say it is stronger, looks better and doesn't resemble tiny penises, which they worry will turn them gay if they touch it. People have been waiting for a clear winner to emerge and it looks like M-Lok will probably be the ultimate victor now that the military has started to adopt it. If you were selecting a hand guard for an AR-15, maybe it would be a bigger deal, but for a bolt rile the only thing you will ever use is probably a short pic rail section to mount your bipod and there are lots of accessories available for both right now anyway. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I own handguards in both. I have yet to see where one is somehow better than the other. There are plenty of accessories on the market for both and the prices are comparable. I'm one of those that think M-lok looks cleaner but I find Keymod a little easier to install.

Proponents of M-Lok say it is stronger, looks better and doesn't resemble tiny penises, which they worry will turn them gay if they touch it.

Well, thanks for that... I'll never look at my AR handguard the same. ;-)

Agreed though, the AR world seems to be going with M-LOK.

USSOCCOM tested both. MLOK was better. Test result is available online.

I’m trying to remember, but isn’t the reason that MP came up with MLOK was that it is supposed to be a less damaging attachment point to the polymer construction they favor? I think I remember that keymod attachment points were more likely to deform/pull through with polymer accessories.

I’ve used both but prefer Mlok now. It does hold stronger and looks better than Key Mod. I had a Key Mod handguard on my AR 10 with a small pic rail for my bipod and it was always coming loose but I switched to Mlok and never had an issue.

I’m trying to remember, but isn’t the reason that MP came up with MLOK was that it is supposed to be a less damaging attachment point to the polymer construction they favor? I think I remember that keymod attachment points were more likely to deform/pull through with polymer accessories.

Get one of those MLok backings crooked in the slot while your tightening it down and see how damaging that fucker can be. I can see how a Keymod accessory can be pulled through a rail interface but the ease of mounting makes it my choice over MLok.

I've got both on AR's as well. I prefer the ease of mounting with the Keymod, and I prefer the looks of the Keymod over MLok. Keymod has always been strong enough for anything I've done with my guns, work or play. I've never had one inadvertently come loose, as some others report. I just wish AI would get their shit together and use real Keymod instead of their proprietary look-a-like, or start producing some accessories that will direct mount.

MLok sounds more tactical, so it must be better.

Really, it comes down to what looks good to you. Both work fine for what anyone on here is going to do with their rifle.

I have a Ruger PR on the way. On checking my invoice the Ruger model number on line is different from that on my order. Asked the dealer to research and answer was that Ruger had changed the hand guard from M-Lock to Key Mod. I was told that the later was better as it was open source and not Mag Pul only. I've never had a chassis gun before so is one better/more flexible than the other? Assume I have insure accessories like bipod fit Key Mod.

Will appreciate help/advise, JimB

MLOK handguard version is the latest and newest SKU. Previous two versions were KeyMod. MLOK is open source, but requires a licensing agreement with Magpul so as to ensure adherence to their specifications.

Personal preference only but I don't want something on my rifle that looks like it belongs on garage shelving. MLOK for me.