• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgun Loads - All Calibers

I'm no expert reloader, but I bell the case mouth just a little to help start the bullet. .45 Colt .45 ACP .38/.357 and 9mm. This is with 3 die sets. With the halo on your bullets, it looks like you have to force them in pretty hard.

I'm no expert reloader, but I bell the case mouth just a little to help start the bullet. .45 Colt .45 ACP .38/.357 and 9mm. This is with 3 die sets. With the halo on your bullets, it looks like you have to force them in pretty hard.
the halo doesn't print on all of them, and how much of a bell do you put on your brass?

Screenshot_20210719-203222_Chrome.jpg

This is from a gun digest article.

Last edited:
Yes. I have 3 die sets of reloading dies. The second die puts that little bell or flare on the case mouth. It is to help start the bullet. When you taper crimp, the bell becomes the crimp.

Yes. I have 3 die sets of reloading dies. The second die puts that little bell or flare on the case mouth. It is to help start the bullet. When you taper crimp, the bell becomes the crimp.
totally different than rifle, loading, I am learning.

Any of you experienced with 10mm? Looking to source a Projectile to mimic the 200 grain hard cast offerings from Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

Rim rock bullets claims to be the source for BB, but their BHN is only 15. Where as underwood says their BHN is 20+. Found another company in MT selling 200 grain coated projectiles at 22 BHN. Any other manufacturers that offer a bullet like this? Is 15 BHN hard enough?

Are you seating and crimping in one step?
I went to separate stages for that reason.

That depends on how you have your seating die setup. I know my Hornady seating dies can produce a roll crimp when set up that way. I'm not certain if other seating dies(RCBS, Lee, etc..) do the same, but you can crimp and seat bullets in one stage if the die is set up to do so.

I've been playing with the round in the middle, a 9x25 Dillon. It is a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. My first workup used 11.2 grains of Power Pistol to achieve 1700 fps with a 115 grain JHP. I also hit 1800 with 11.5 grains of the same powder under a 90 grain Lehigh XD. Note that the barrel is a 5.5 inch ported one, with about 4.75 inches before the first port.

In the 10mm, 11 grains of Blue Dot gives me 1250 FPS with a 180 grain XTP.

DSC_0682.JPG

Any of you experienced with 10mm? Looking to source a Projectile to mimic the 200 grain hard cast offerings from Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

Rim rock bullets claims to be the source for BB, but their BHN is only 15. Where as underwood says their BHN is 20+. Found another company in MT selling 200 grain coated projectiles at 22 BHN. Any other manufacturers that offer a bullet like this? Is 15 BHN hard enough?

I'm doing load development for my G40 MOS long slide with 200gr hard cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works... goal is bear loads.

I purchased .401 WFN-GC from them for bear loads and their WFN-PB practice bullet. Both are hard cast.

Had a lengthy conversation with their bullet guy and he said their WFN-GC has killed many bears and he would take it over a BB or Underwood any day. I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about or exactly what he said because I don't remember 100% but he talked about their mixture vs high antimony. Either way, MBW comes highly recommended.

Today was my first day playing with loads. I loaded up 5ea 6.0-7.2gr in 0.2gr increments n350 with the 200gr Montana Bullet Works HC WFN practice bullet they sell. HiTek coated. Sig nickel brass and CCI LP. Stupid accurate at 10yd out of my factory Gen4 Glock 40 MOS with RMR RM07 Gen2. Don't have any speeds but I will tomorrow. They shot soft and the higher charges were probably in the 1025-1100 range.. zero leading issues. Nice and clean

Guy MBW told me to shoot my same load with the 200gr HC practice bullet and the WFN-GC.. he also said dont worry about trying to get them super fast. He said 1100-1150 is fine they will penetrate great at that speed. waiting for some longshot to arrive to load a good 1200fps bear load with those.

I did chrono the underwood 200gr HC round out of my gun and avg was 1200.. they also started leading the last 2" of my barrel

Also have a Bar-Sto match barrel being made for this Glock 40. Once it's ready they are gonna call me to send my pistol in to have the barrel custom fit. Mostly doing this for better case support over factory glock barrel.with hotter bear loads but I'll take the increased accuracy as well.

I'll post up some more info tomorrow

Last edited:

Here their dangerous game 200gr HC bullet. I'm about to load

And here is their 200gr HC HiTek coated practice bullet..

Both are 22 BHN... I'm working up bear loads for my fly fishing carry load.. I FF all over the country and finally picked up a 10mm as my.go to woods gun.

I'm doing load development for my G40 MOS long slide with 200gr hard cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works... goal is bear loads.

I purchased .401 WFN-GC from them for bear loads and their WFN-PB practice bullet. Both are hard cast.

Had a lengthy conversation with their bullet guy and he said their WFN-GC has killed many bears and he would take it over a BB or Underwood any day. I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about or exactly what he said because I don't remember 100% but he talked about their mixture vs high antimony. Either way, MBW comes highly recommended.

Today was my first day playing with loads. I loaded up 5ea 6.0-7.2gr in 0.2gr increments n350 with the 200gr Montana Bullet Works HC WFN practice bullet they sell. HiTek coated. Sig nickel brass and CCI LP. Stupid accurate at 10yd out of my factory Gen4 Glock 40 MOS with RMR RM07 Gen2. Don't have any speeds but I will tomorrow. They shot soft and the higher charges were probably in the 1025-1100 range.. zero leading issues. Nice and clean

Guy MBW told me to shoot my same load with the 200gr HC practice bullet and the WFN-GC.. he also said dont worry about trying to get them super fast. He said 1100-1150 is fine they will penetrate great at that speed. waiting for some longshot to arrive to load a good 1200fps bear load with those.

I did chrono the underwood 200gr HC round out of my gun and avg was 1200.. they also started leading the last 2" of my barrel

Also have a Bar-Sto match barrel being made for this Glock 40. Once it's ready they are gonna call me to send my pistol in to have the barrel custom fit. Mostly doing this for better case support over factory glock barrel.with hotter bear loads but I'll take the increased accuracy as well.

I'll post up some more info tomorrow
Thanks the Montana Bullet works has been my favorite so far. I haven't shot their premium Hardcastle yet but I didnget pretty decent results with their hi tek coated ones.

Also ended uo trying the rim rock. I have a few hundred left but won't be buying any more of them. Struggled to load them and not get leading in my KKM barrel.

Still haven't found a load over 1200 fps with anything but Accurate No9. I may just back down and run in the 1150 range and call it day.

Thanks the Montana Bullet works has been my favorite so far. I haven't shot their premium Hardcastle yet but I didnget pretty decent results with their hi tek coated ones.

Also ended uo trying the rim rock. I have a few hundred left but won't be buying any more of them. Struggled to load them and not get leading in my KKM barrel.

Still haven't found a load over 1200 fps with anything but Accurate No9. I may just back down and run in the 1150 range and call it day.

I posted some results in the 10mm loads thread.. the hitek work great foe plinking but during accuracy testing at 25yd, the WFN-GC hardcast were significantly more accurate with same load in both..

I'm getting 1160 with w572 with excellent accuracy... the bullet guy over at MBW told me there is no need to try and get these going crazy fast...he said find an accurate load you can shoot.in the 1100 range and they will penetrate

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
44MAG, looking for a good load utilizing Cast Performance 320gr WFNGC's. They'll be shot out of a 5.5" Redhawk and a 3" 629 Deluxe. I've got HS6, HP38, Unique, H110, and Alliant 2400. I'd prefer to use unique since I have the most of that, and I'm looking for velocity in the 1000-1100 fps range. Wanting a load I can shoot a fair amount of and not feel like I slammed my hand in a car door, but one that will also punch a hole through a bear if need be. Initally I wanted to run these in a Henry X model 44 mag with a can on it, but the profile of the bullet
44 RH.JPG
does not feel reliably in it at all. Thanks!