• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Handgun shipping

radmcg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Mobile, AL
Man stupid is expensive. Just sold a Handgun to another member. Have a very busy week next week so rushed 20 miles to the nearest UPS service center. Go there and guess what 90.00 damn dollars to ship a handgun!!! 65.00 for shipping 14 for insurance and 10 fuel charge. Not sure if there was some kind of saturday delivery fee or what. The lady at the counter was to busy being rude to explain anything other than. "Do you want to ship it or not". Actually if I hadn't just paid 90.00 to ship the damn thing I would have paid to see the look on my face. Anyway is there another way to ship a handgun or was this just a I was so stupid I shipped it overnight on friday thing? Please let me know because if there is not another alternative I about to take my other pistol out of the for sale section. Like I said stupid is expensive.
AHA
Rad

Re: Handgun shipping

It is very expensive for a non FFL to ship a handgun as it MUST be sent overnight. It is often cheaper to have your FFL ship it for you because FFLs and ONLY FFLs can use USPS priority to ship. Any handgun will fit is a medium flat rate so the shipping portion will only be $11 plus insurance and whatever you have to pay your FFL.

Thanks for the heads up. I should have checked before hand. Live and learn.
Thanks
Rad

edit because I posted bad info.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

from atf's website

Lazy, that's some bad advice you are giving.

Fedex requires all handgun shipments to go Priority Overnight. UPS is the same, I belive they call it "RED". It may not be required by law, but it is company policy. That being said when entrusting your possibly multi thousand dollar shipment, it would behoove you to follow that company's shipping guide lines in case shit happens and you want to file a claim. Slapping your print at home label on the box (with the service of your choice), and hopping the person behind the counter doesn't know the policy is just asking for trouble.

Most people at the Hubs/Terminals for both carries should/ are going to know the policy and make you correct it for the proper service. Now you may get away with it at a Kinkos/Fedex Office and or UPS Store; hoping that their lack of training/knowledge will allow you to circumvent their company policy, and there in save you a couple of bucks in shipping.

Now let's remember that you are entering into a contract with Fedex/UPS when you ask them you transport your product. When you decide to ignore one of the carriers stipulations/ packing/ shipping standards you are just begging to have your declared value/insurance claim denied.

Having worked for Fedex for over 10 years I can tell you if you tried something like that and something happened to your package and you tried to file a claim you would be flat out denied for breach of contract.

I know its expensive and it sucks, I hate doin it too (even with my discount). But I still use it because the tracking methods are far better than the USPS.

But if I didn't work for FedEx I'd be gettin buddy/buddy with my local FFL/ gun shop owner so as not to get hammered on handling fees.

Mark

Can an C&R FFL send a "non-C&R" weapon to an FFL using USPS?

I am a FFL call your local ATF but as far as I am told and having read the regs, it's legal to send by anyone in US to the FLL. I get a lot of guns shipped to me for transfer from individuals via usps. You need to have it signed for. Typically if you tell them at post office it's a gun they freak out even though it's legal..
Now for the caveat: !check this out for yourself by calling a local ATF!
Bill

$65 is BS. I ship handguns all the time and I've never paid over $35. Did you go to a terminal (hub) or a "store. Stores are inheritly charging whatever they want to according to who's working the counter at any given time. Eighteen tears ago I shipped a HK 91 trigger group only to Williams to be reworke and the store charged me $65. A couple monthe later I sent the same trigger group back and it cost me around $8.
Lesson learned!
If it is a hub and it's the going price then I'm going to pull my handguns off the market.
Another way I do it is give my FFL $28 and he ships it USPO.
I don't think a non-ffl can ship USPO, if so then someone please advise so I can change my methods.

The problem with handguns is simply the shippers policies. Like has been said, UPS and FedEx require overnight shipping. Just have an FFL do it, much simpler.