• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Handgurd mi or geissele

Bryan W M

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2011
East KS
Looking at th MI SP and the mk8
What is most durable?
How is the mk8 on your hands?
Will the mk8 clear an SLR 7

Last edited:
I just got a MI combat rail and it is very nice. Worth more than the price they charge. The G is definitely bomb proof. Pretty sure the mk8 has a larger ID than the MI though.

I have all MI rails.

Everybody’s rail will deflect under pressure. You should see the shit show over on ARF.

Mk8 is blocky but dehorned and pleasant. Very solid mounting. Antirotation ears snug up to the receiver with setscrews - very precise but probably unnecessary.
MI I have only had the G3s and some related models; they appear largely the same as your SP series. Very smooth, not blocky. Antirotation isn't as finely tuneable as the Mk8, but I don't think it matters.

MI bang-for-the-buck is somewhat better, but the Mk8s can be had used for a very reasonable price.

Specs for both of the 7" rails are right at 9 oz or so.

I guess it comes down.. both do the job very well, but the Geissele is bigger, blockier, "nicer", and more expensive.

Which thread?

MM

There’s a few of them. I didn’t subscribe. I figure if I want to read them I’ll google it. Lawsuit over NDA and defamation and LaRue saying he’ll pay the legal fees for the defendant.

Ever the soap opera.

It means G got his jimmies rustled because his handguards aren’t as tough as previously thought. They are bending and having return to zero problems. A consultant/Marine signed an NDA and non compete. Consultant/Marine spilled the beans online and G is having a fit over it. Causing issues with the .mil contract.

I've used an older MI and Mk8 rails. The MI I used required timing the barrel nut for the gas tube. The rail clamped onto the nut and came with thread locker to add some strength or reduce the chance of turning on the nut, which I thought was odd.

You’re using the SLR 7 gas block so why don’t you use an SLR hand guard? I’d venture a guess that the two are compatible...

You’re using the SLR 7 gas block so why don’t you use an SLR hand guard? I’d venture a guess that the two are compatible...

The SLR rails a top notch. The ID of most of their rails is 1.350" compared to the MK8 & MI's 1.300". I'd not be surprised that the clamp-on SLR block will not fit w/o touching on the corners of the bottom rail channel on the Mk8 & the MI, but the set screw block will likely fit.

I've used a lot of SLR's rails & they are very, very nice but not cheap, even on sale; I actually asked them at one time about the fit of their GB's to the Geiselle rails & they said they could not guarantee that they would fit as they had not actually tried that combination.

MM

I swore off MI after I had a professionally installed one come off under recoil. Yes, it was a 458 SOCOM, but I don't care. No more friction fit and glue for me. I put no fault on the installer, it's a design fault.

If the handguard isn't physically secured to the barrel nut I don't want it.

Personally I go ALG.

I've had really good luck with my MI Gen2 quad rail. It's a 9" on a 16" mid DD barreled upper. I drag it in and out of the car often and in the woods, so far so good.

I second ALG rails. First actual "good" rail I ever purchased was an ALG rail and I still have it on a 20" upper. It's a keeper.

It means G got his jimmies rustled because his handguards aren’t as tough as previously thought. They are bending and having return to zero problems. A consultant/Marine signed an NDA and non compete. Consultant/Marine spilled the beans online and G is having a fit over it. Causing issues with the .mil contract.

WRONG. A bunch of no nothing idiots running their suck holes.

I have been building AR's for 20 years. I have used just about every handgun under the sun and have a tool drawer filled with specialized tools just for working on AR handguards. How many of you have URX tools or KAC armorer wrenches?

G rails are hands down the best product on the market. And its not even close.

Their barrel nut system, rail quality , adjustment and durability is unparalleled.

Want to know a dirty little secret, ANY rail will fucking deflect if you put enough pressure on it. A hollow alum upper with an alum barrel nut and milled rail not to mention it is nothing but a giant lever.

Their system is about as fool proof as they get ALONG with the tightest tolerances I have ever seen in fit/finish. They are the ONLY AR rail on the market worth buying. Factor in their cost and they are a steal.