• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris Bipod: Smooth vs. Notched Legs

Triad

Old Dude
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2003
KC
www.triadtactical.com
I often get asked what the differences between the two types of Harris Bipods are. Maybe it will end some of the questions about why Triad does not carry the smooth leg version.

I hope this helps:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=player_profilepage"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Harris Bipod: Smooth vs. Notched Legs

Steve hooked me up with a notched leg swivel, I would be really hard to imagine life without it now

I've never owned a notched leg yet, but I've wished I had one before, as recently as the last time I shot.

One of my many mistakes.....

Great post, Triad. I knew there was a reason I loved the swiveling notched so much. Thanks for the good info.

Thanks for the write up, kind of wondering about the notched version. Pretty easy choice now.

I have 2 non-notched Harris bipods in the closet collecting dust. I ordered the first one thinking I would like the full range of adjustability, then I found I hated it after I used it. the second one I have to admit to being stupid, I clicked on the wrong item to order and got another one. Being dumb costs money.

The last one I ordered I ordered from Triad. Better prices, great service and I don't have to worry about clicking on the wrong thing lol

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I clicked on the wrong item to order and got another one. Being dumb costs money. madd0c </div></div>

Good one.

Remember to CONFIRM online orders before hitting the SUBMIT button!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good one.

Remember to CONFIRM online orders before hitting the SUBMIT button!! </div></div>

Hey, thanks Steve :p
S-BRM, S-BR they all look the same heh.
Like I said I know where to get them now, no worries
smile.gif

madd0c

I shoot F-TR where a rear sandbag is used with a bipod. Since the sandbag is fixed in height, I had problems with the notched version: could not get exactly the right height to be spot on the target. I now use the smooth-legged bipod and can get the perfect height with it. For hunting and what not, the notched leg version would be good, but for F-Class, the smooth legged version is much better. You have the time to mess with it and it needs to be the perfect height. Different tools for different purposes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good one.

Remember to CONFIRM online orders before hitting the SUBMIT button!! </div></div>

S-BRM, S-BR they all look the same heh.

madd0c </div></div>

Thats why the Triad site only shows them as 6-9 or 9-13
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot F-TR where a rear sandbag is used with a bipod. Since the sandbag is fixed in height, I had problems with the notched version: could not get exactly the right height to be spot on the target. I now use the smooth-legged bipod and can get the perfect height with it. For hunting and what not, the notched leg version would be good, but for F-Class, the smooth legged version is much better. You have the time to mess with it and it needs to be the perfect height. Different tools for different purposes... </div></div>

Sounds like you need a more functional rear bag.......

Nice video, Steve.

I agree with all of your points on the notched version advantages for LR rifle.

In 3-Gun, I use smooth leg versions for the following reasons. Any leg height adjustment is done before the clock starts running. In other words, you prestage the <span style="text-decoration: underline">specific </span>length that you need, start with the bipod in the "up" position (by rule). We all add paracord or some sort of line loop for quick deployment while "on the clock". If you ever find yourself having to adjust leg length while "on the clock" you likely messed up as that costs seconds in time (huge hit). There are plenty of folks using the notched in 3-Gun too -- I like the exact adjustability depending on factors like differing mag length (20 rnd - 48 rnd) being used on a stage, very exacting port positions on stages, etc. The key is making those adjustments ahead of running the stage. You can only use bipods in the Open class and we are a diminishing breed.

But, as I'm trying to re-use my 9-13" Harris for a LR rifle (AR10 in .260 in this case), I'm wishing it was a notched version per all of your points! May mean adding a notched, swivel to the collection. Hell, I really need another bipod like a hole in the head. I just bought an Atlas (from you, thanks btw) for the same gun. The quick deployment option of the Harris's can come in handy even in LR Tac matches.
Anyway, I realize 3-gun probably is not your primary market but there are cases where smooth may offer an advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

Sounds like you need a more functional rear bag....... </div></div>

Now, those are fighting words! You're gonna have to come participate in an F-Class match in Phoenix. If you beat me, I'll buy two bags from you.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

Sounds like you need a more functional rear bag....... </div></div>

Now, those are fighting words! You're gonna have to come participate in an F-Class match in Phoenix. If you beat me, I'll buy two bags from you.
smile.gif
</div></div>

sick.gif

My 6-9 swivel, notched leg Harris bipod is awesome. I had never used a bipod before and after messing with it on the living room floor for a bit, it is quick to set and get a bead on something. Great price from Triad and swift delivery.

I never really knew what I was missing always using the cheapo smooth leg chicom versions. I have two of the 6-9 Harris notched leg bipods now... What a difference!!! Quick deploy, super easy set up.

My only beef is what do I do with the two junk-pods on the shelf? Maybe I'll make a real tippy foot stool out of them. LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My only beef is what do I do with the two junk-pods on the shelf? </div></div>

Kick-Stand for your airplane?

I guess im one of the rare people that prefer the smooth.

Im either "in", or "out", I dont fuss around with it to much.

However, the swivel version is a must.

Anyone prefers smooth I'll swap you my 6-9 swivel smoothie with pod-lok for a 6-9 swivel notched!!

Good video Steve, but you also left out my personal pet peeve with the smooth leg-if you aren't careful when bagging up to move and you go to retract your legs with a finger in teh way those legs can bite on their way back in!!

Another vote for notched legs. The smooth legs always seem to slip when you really need them.
The one weird thing about the notched leg version is when the legs are fully closed there is a slight springy play of about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. This is resolved by keeping the legs at their first notch.

I was undecided until I watched the video. I placed an order for the notched leg a few weeks ago from Triad.

Great video. I'm looking for my first bipod and was wondering whether to go with the notched or standard legs. Definitely, made up my mind after seeing your video.

Well done. Good video thanks for your commitment to offer first class shooting gear!

I will agree, I bout smooth legs know I wonder what i was thinkn. I mean they would work great if a man had 3 arms. Video explains it all.

Steve I think you forgot the best feature about the smooth leg version... They PINCH the hell out of you everytime you push the button and let the damn leg suck itself back to the shortest setting!! LOL

Had the exact same problem with my two smooth leg bipods yesterday. Stupid thing would get shorter and shorter with each successive shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had the exact same problem with my two smooth leg bipods yesterday. Stupid thing would get shorter and shorter with each successive shot. </div></div>

I have had that problem as well. I love using the notched for the centerfires. The rimfires will usually do just fine with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xphunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of mine are notched legs </div></div>

Mine too...with the Podloc of course.

I already did not like the problems you mentioned about the smooth leg, I have one and was wondering what the difference was with the notched leg. I see now there are more differences than just notches, great video.

I too have a non swivel smooth leg Harris for trade if anyone dis likes their notched version haha

I have owned both the smooth leg and notched leg Harris bi-pop. I use and would reccomend the Harris 6-9 notched version over the smooth leg and use a pod lock they are worth the money.

I just got my first ever bipod last week. I looked at both the smooth and notched leg versions. I basically did and enie meanie minie mo not knowing what the differences were from the description on the Harris website. I ended up getting the notched leg 6-9 swivel. I'm fairly happy but am really thinking I should have sprung for the Atlas.

Thank you for this information Steve.
Just ordered one from you along with a TRAMP, rear bag and shooting mat.
Should be ready to go for some prone shooting when it gets here!

Honestly, this really should be a Sticky at the top of the forum.
smile.gif

I'm shopping for a Harris bi-pod and used the SH search function to find this post. It answers one of the two questions I have. The second question is...is the 9-13" more useful than the 6-9"?

I'll use it for prone target practice between 200 and 600, and hunting.

Back to life...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 284fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm shopping for a Harris bi-pod and used the SH search function to find this post. It answers one of the two questions I have. The second question is...is the 9-13" more useful than the 6-9"?

I'll use it for prone target practice between 200 and 600, and hunting.

Back to life... </div></div>

Depends. If your targets are on the ground then probably the 6-9. When I shoot targets up on a hillside I have to use my 9-13.

I believe the 9-13 is more useful unless the only place you shoot is on a flat range. I switched all mine to 9-13. The 6-9 version is for the bench, urban settings, or prone off concrete or possibly flat desert, if you are not a real heavy guy. In the field, it was almost always too low, and at full extension it doesnt seem as stable. In other words, if you are always using the 6-9 version at full extension, you would have a better platform with the 9-13 version fully retracted.