• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris vs Atlas?

The DLOC pic rail conversion is mandatory for a Harris. The sling stud thing was great in 1998, but the ability to use a pic rail with qd is so nice and rigid.

Disclaimer, never used an atlas. Like my Harris.

I really don't like QD adapters for the Harris because they add height and at the end of the day the stud mount is still used, just the bipod is mounted to the stud on the adapter and adds a fair amount of height. I like the one you posted, that one makes sense and is really what Harris should be using in 2018. I am converting to a KRG direct spigot adapter that has a similar design, just doesn't detach quickly or mount on a rail. I don't move it from rifle to rifle though

Reactions: bab029
Is the Caldwell that looks very similar to the Harris really that much difference. I have 2 Harris and an Atlas, I just have always wondered.

I really don't like QD adapters for the Harris because they add height and at the end of the day the stud mount is still used, just the bipod is mounted to the stud on the adapter and adds a fair amount of height. I like the one you posted, that one makes sense and is really what Harris should be using in 2018. I am converting to a KRG direct spigot adapter that has a similar design, just doesn't detach quickly or mount on a rail. I don't move it from rifle to rifle though

The KRG direct mount is a good design, and their arca clamp looks pretty low profile if someone wanted to go that route.

I have several of both. Atlas is very high quality and looks great. I find very little use for it in the field. Harris looks like a bundle of junk but works great. I use them daily.

Reactions: mystryak
I know what you mean i slapped a Atlas on my hunting rifle last deer season...Heavy and couldnt get over the grass in the prone. Good thing i dont take long shots hunting and practice shooting offhand.

Is the Caldwell that looks very similar to the Harris really that much difference. I have 2 Harris and an Atlas, I just have always wondered.

There are quite a few bipods that look like the Harris, but its one of those things where you can tell which is which if you have one in each hand. The Harris is the best quality

I was at Wally World last night and looked at the Caldwell. I can definitely confirm what everyone is saying.

3B9EF480-59F4-42AF-884C-BBB9FCDB5E86.jpeg

So I have a couple bipods and I can confirm what people are saying about the Caldwell, it’s not worth the low price it goes for. It’s a crappy Harris knock off. I bought it for my rimfires and won’t even use it for them. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it.

I’ve had the Harris for a long time now and it’s a solid bipod for the price. But The Harris doesn’t compare to the atlas or the LRA as far as robustness. The Harris is just stamped and bent metal vs the machined aluminum of the atlas and LRA. As far as function, I agree that it’s a toss up between the Harris and atlas and it will come down to user preference. I prefer the atlas. I like the lower profile picatinny Mount on the atlas vs the sling swivel of the Harris. You can change that but it adds to the overall height which isn’t ideal. Also with the atlas you can easily set it up for the Arca Mount. I like that the atlas legs lock in, not so much for the Harris. I think the Atlas CAL closes many of the preference gaps between the legacy atlas bipods and the Harris. I really like the CAL. I just got the LRA so I don’t have much experience with it but it’s built like a tank. You can see how much bigger the LRA is vs the Harris and even the atlas.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
A few years ago I purchased a Harris knock-off from a company called TipTop. Anyone heard of them? Damn fine bipod but TipTop is no longer around (at least that I could find). I just purchased and Atlas PRS bipod and like it okay except for the fact that there is some play at the leg pivot when locked. I tried tightening the screws at the pivot but that makes the joint too tight to move the legs. I think the leg extension method used on the Atlas is awesome though I see that it has to be kept clean.

A few years ago I purchased a Harris knock-off from a company called TipTop. Anyone heard of them? Damn fine bipod but TipTop is no longer around (at least that I could find). I just purchased and Atlas PRS bipod and like it okay except for the fact that there is some play at the leg pivot when locked. I tried tightening the screws at the pivot but that makes the joint too tight to move the legs. I think the leg extension method used on the Atlas is awesome though I see that it has to be kept clean.

Nice Necro thread...

The legs are supposed to be that loose. Load it properly and you're fine. That slop is there to try and eliminate recoil issues.

I have Harris's and Ckye pod. I found that I use a Harris most often from the bench, and the ckye pod in the field or matches. It all depends on what you're doing.

I did notice our match director got less crazy with some props since guys started showing up with ckyes that can get a grip on some crazy stuff.

B9B600A6-33F3-4F2E-917D-E0A538DA9164.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr
Nice Necro thread...

The legs are supposed to be that loose. Load it properly and you're fine. That slop is there to try and eliminate recoil issues.

I have Harris's and Ckye pod. I found that I use a Harris most often from the bench, and the ckye pod in the field or matches. It all depends on what you're doing.

I did notice our match director got less crazy with some props since guys started showing up with ckyes that can get a grip on some crazy stuff.

Are guys still loading bipods?

I find the Harris faster but the atlas better, like that good v cheap v fast thing.

I’d like to try a overbore bipod next

Are guys still loading bipods?

You have to in order to get repeatable results. I see many guys that have vertical stringing from not loading the atlas. I see more consistency loading the ckye.

Harris doesn't seem to matter as much, but the springs will give a little by design.

Funny as hell watching someone put a Harris on backwards and then get behind the rifle only to fold it and smack it on the bench. Ridicule follows.

• Haha
You have to in order to get repeatable results. I see many guys that have vertical stringing from not loading the atlas. I see more consistency loading the ckye.

Harris doesn't seem to matter as much, but the springs will give a little by design.

Funny as hell watching someone put a Harris on backwards and then get behind the rifle only to fold it and smack it on the bench. Ridicule follows.

I stopped worrying about it, maybe a little forward pressure but not much if any. Phil Velayo made a post about not loading bipods because its inconsistent. I tested it myself and shot much better with the bipod relaxed instead of trying to muscle forward pressure on it.

I stopped worrying about it, maybe a little forward pressure but not much if any. Phil Velayo made a post about not loading bipods because its inconsistent. I tested it myself and shot much better with the bipod relaxed instead of trying to muscle forward pressure on it.

Don't need to muscle it, just put enough pressure to take the slop out giving it a little room to rock with the recoil.

Makes a difference with heavy recoil, not much with lighter stuff in heavy guns.