• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

has any one used a otis Deluxe cleaning kit

The Man whit Two Guns

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2012
Australia
has any one used a <span style="text-decoration: underline">otis Deluxe cleaning kit</span>. im looking at geting one. and was wondering if its any good..

Re: has any one used a otis Deluxe cleaning kit

I have an otis kit and i love mine. personally i dislike rods and i have got my rifles the most clean using the otis kit. To each his/hers own i guess.

only otis product i use is otis spunkmeyer blueberry muffins, the cleaning kits suck balls in my opinion

Not a fan for rifle use. Only Dewey rods for me. My Otis kit works fine but I only use it for the pistols.

I carry one with me for easy cleaning out in the field if necessary. When I'm really cleaning and not just a quick scrub it's a 1-piece Dewey rod. Otis only gets used in the field when carrying a rod isn't all that practical.

FWIW I trim down what I carry to caliber-specific stuff only. No need to carry a whole bunch of stuff.

I haven't used one, and probably wouldn't for most of my rifles, but I am looking at getting one for cleaning my Garand and M1 carbine, which don't lend themselves well to a rod.

Have the Otis all caliber kit and use it all the time. It takes up little space and works as advertised.

I have an all caliber one but really want to get a specific .30 cal one because of all the extra crap in the package I don't use. I like it, it does what every other cleaning gear does.

I have one the wire broke off at the cleaing attachment. After 4 hours of atempting to get it out of the barrel with a dewey rod, I gave up and payed a smith to remove the damn thing. Lesson learned I never buy another otis product again. worst part this was the first use and after i contacted otis they said "that occasionaly happens." fuck them and their crappy product

Used them for years on all sorts of guns.

I have found them to be reliable, compact and efficient.

They're great for in the field or if you can't get a straight rod through. For everyday cleaning at home though I'd stick to a cleaning rod. I found having to thread the thing through every time a pain in the ass compared to a rod.

I am glad this has come up. I am interested in opinions of people in the know here...

I keep hearing that people either love them or do not like them and use a cleaning rod. I have a friend who uses it all of the time and does not understand why I use a cleaning rod and bore guide. Here are my reasons:

1. Less work to push the patches / brush through with a rod
2. No matter how you slice it that plastic coated cable WILL rub on the muzzle if you are pulling it out from the muzzle end. Yes, it is plastic but what is debris gets imbedded in it? Just seems like you would want to minimize any possible chances of wear to the muzzle.
3. If you pull from the breech then you are pulling crap back into the chamber area and locking lugs. Maybe less so if you are using a bore guide but, will it stay in place if you are pulling the same direction that would pull the bore guide out?
4. Cleaning jags seem to work better for me then hose eyelet patch holders. How do you use a Jag with a Otis kit?

Any other reasons for the rod over the Otis kit? Do I have anything wrong above? Can you disprove my theory?

Now, for guns that you cannot clean from the breech then I have to agree that I WOULD use an Otis kit. For Bolt actions I would never though...

Thoughts?

Phil

I don't understand why your friend would prefer one when a rod is available. I use mine ONLY for field use for the reasons you described. However, in the field I think it is the best option. The last thing I want to do is drag along a cleaning rod when I'm humping through the hills looking for a deer, but the Otis system is super convenient if I have to clean the bore for whatever reason, and adaptable enough to do things a bore snake can't.

I don't think it's necessarily any harder to use an Otis kit. Typically I stand on the t-handle and pull the rifle vertically so that I can use even pressure and maintain better control. You are correct about a jag, unless you get one of the Parker-Hale types that allows you to wrap the patch around the jag shaft. The hardest part for me about the eyelet is remembering how you're supposed to fold and fiddle with the patch so that it's the right size for the caliber you're using.

Murphy being who he is, you never know what's going to happen. Sure a stuck case can ruin the days hunt, which the Otis most likely cannot rectify, but for everything else the Otis works fine, and I think the trade-off is worthwhile compared to dealing with a 4' long rod sticking out of your pack. That being said the rod comes to the cabin with me, the Otis comes on the trail.

Johnny C,

Agreed. I am a range safety officer for a public range and have seen guys working hard to pull those cables through the muzzle end. Always looks awkward and that damn cable is tightly rubbing against the muzzle. makes me nuts when I see it!

I do carry one in my range bag and with me when I hunt but have used it only a few times when I wanted to oil the inside of the barrel after a long hog hunt in the Florida heat and humidity.

Phil

Use it; has features i like mainly convenience. I also use as a chest spacer for standing/or mono bag for prone, attached to the bottom of my eagle industries cheek swell. Use last Velcro strap on eagle swell to hold it on. So kit holder is handy. Honestly I wish it had some trick pic kit in their. Takes more time to stash away than a rod. But then again most bolties don't have a rod holder in the stock. Its a good kit but has more than you need less pic kit.

also its easy to use if you follow the directions and fold the patches correctly. if you do not fold patch properly on eyelet guide it will require a rod to remove.

I was going to buy an otis for the convenience but I think I will stick with my Dewey.

Didn’t expect so many re-ply’s,, thanks EVERY ONE….
Made UP my mine and won’t be buying one for every day cleaning

...but do get the blueberry muffins. They are terrific!

dewey 1 piece rod & lucas bore guide for rifles

hoppes snakes for my shotguns and pistols

I thought the Otis kit was an awesome idea when I first bought my AR...until my roommate and I were cleaning guns together one night and he finished in half the time using a rod. Guess what doesn't get used anymore?