• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Has Anyone Built an 80% Glock

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Im looking at polymer 80 now . Glock 17 , has 1991 grip angle and I will probably put in an Apex trigger . I really don't like Glocks and have shot dozens . In fact the more Glocks I shoot the more it proves my personal opinion . Note I said my opinion . There is no arguing that the guns perform
    like effing magic for a long list of very skilled shooters as well as solid reliability. But alas the pistol of my liking is not made by P80 .
    More to the point have you built one and what was your experience , opinion and recomendations . Thanks in advance .

Friend carries the P80s in his shop. Haven't fired one but the one he built for himself sure fit my hand better than any Glocks I've got/had.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I hate the way glocks feel. They sit poorly in my hand and at a bad angle. In my opinion they are ergonomically awful. Since Polymer80 came out I now have a 19, 17, and 34 that I have built using their frames. With the provided jig it only took me 30 minutes from start to finish to drill it out and open up the channel. If you have a drill press or drill gun, a dremel, maybe some hand files for finishing touches, a bit of sand paper, and basic handyman skills then the process is a breeze. They feel fantastic over the factory glock lower. I have nothing bad to say about them. Just an fyi unless you are reeally wanting to do an 80% lower Polymer80 also sells completed, serialized lowers as well. They frequently go on sale at Primary Arms for $75 dollars. I built my first two, but just bought my third one complete. Cheapest I can find 80% P80 lowers was closer to $100. So for $25 cheaper you can forego the hassle altogether and buy one ready to assemble. Either way, I 100% recommend.

I hate the way glocks feel. They sit poorly in my hand and at a bad angle. In my opinion they are ergonomically awful. Since Polymer80 came out I now have a 19, 17, and 34 that I have built using their frames. With the provided jig it only took me 30 minutes from start to finish to drill it out and open up the channel. If you have a drill press or drill gun, a dremel, maybe some hand files for finishing touches, a bit of sand paper, and basic handyman skills then the process is a breeze. They feel fantastic over the factory glock lower. I have nothing bad to say about them. Just an fyi unless you are reeally wanting to do an 80% lower Polymer80 also sells completed, serialized lowers as well. They frequently go on sale at Primary Arms for $75 dollars. I built my first two, but just bought my third one complete. Cheapest I can find 80% P80 lowers was closer to $100. So for $25 cheaper you can forego the hassle altogether and buy one ready to assemble. Either way, I 100% recommend.

The whole point of these lowers is to not have a pistol on an FFL's record. Buying it 100% assembled defeats the purpose.....

20181215_103330.jpg
    I have a p80 19 I built about a year ago, I've put about 3500 rounds thru it and havent had a hiccup yet.

Its hands down a better feeling gun than any "real" glock I've ever shot.

I put together a P80 for a winter project last year. It was fun and you save some money over a custom Glock and the 'ghost' gun was an interesting idea. It was also a fun to pick all the parts you want. I ran a competition with it and it ran good but not perfect. I had a few ejector issues the first 500 rounds. I thought I would try and out do Kayakfish's picture...

IMG_0806.jpg

Built one a while back. Super easy with dremel and hand files. i hate standard glock 19 grips and these are a decent upgrade and perform reliably.

Attachments

• CEC5D72F-5E29-4BDC-9C0F-CBD94FBC7A0A.jpeg
      CEC5D72F-5E29-4BDC-9C0F-CBD94FBC7A0A.jpeg
      558.8 KB · Views: 250
    The whole point of these lowers is to not have a pistol on an FFL's record. Buying it 100% assembled defeats the purpose.....
    Some people get them because they prefer the grip angle and ergonomics and don’t trust themselves enough to do an 80%. If the point is to stay off the radar then so be it. That is why I gave both options.

This company is selling them for $105.99 w/ free shipping. Cheapest I've seen.

Does anyone out there make an 80% frame WITH the original Glock grip design?

I think the 1911's grip angle (particuarly with the straight mainspring housing) sucks ass

Saw that too, wonder why they would drop the whole line. Brownells succumbing to political pressure?

What is it that you see that we don't...no clue what you guys are talking about, still for sale on their site. Nothing with my Google-Fu skills.

Comment in link above about buying Brownells aggressive texture inventory and only a couple of 80% options showing in stock vs serialized P80s at Brownells. Personally I don't care about the 80% thing (other than just saving a transfer fee) but liked how it felt enough to maybe get one.

Reactions: gunman_7
    What is it that you see that we don't...no clue what you guys are talking about, still for sale on their site. Nothing with my Google-Fu skills.

This link, at the bottom in red it states....

Closeout Special
    We have purchased the rest of the Brownell's Aggressive Texture Frames at a significant discount and are passing the savings on to our customers. While supplies last we have these frames in OD Green, Gray, and Coyote Tan at a massive discount!

Now reading it again, I wonder if it has something to do with the "aggressive Texture" version? Didn't know there was more then one version. I initially took it as they had bought out all of Brownells P80 80% lower stock...

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
    ive built 3 of them now they work pretty well and are easy to do just might have to be prepared to trouble shoot if issue come up i had a zev g34 slide and wouldnt cycle real well until i had about 150 rounds through it later found out zev is know for having very tight slide tolerance but after that it ran just fine

might pick up a large frame model in a few months and do a glock 21 longslide

I’ve built 2. They go together easy, they function well with good parts, hell I like mine.

I spent years competing with a G34 and a G17, it took me I can’t tell you how many draws and dry fires it took for the glock to feel “natural” and point like second nature but when I found the P80, I preferred the grip angle. Now I’m in the middle of learning a more natural grip angle all over again from a Glock.

Midway has full sized ones for about 111 right now too, I bought a few extras for future toys.

$549.00 for a complete P80 with all factory glock parts, slide, barrel, etc. There was several good deals out there around christmas for around $399 but with factory parts.

So what’s the cheapest anyone was able to build one for?
    i don't think many if any of these are being built cheaper than just buying a new glock ($499 at recent gun show). i got a poly80 really to just try out the different, supposedly better/1911-like, grip angle. milled aftermarket slide (for vortex viper) should be arriving tomorrow, and i'm trying an aftermarket trigger.

I built this Polymer 80 glock 17 and I have fired around 500 functions flawlessly. I got a great deal on most the parts from brownells and the glock store was a learning experience just take your time and don’t rush trying to rush removing material from frame.

Attachments

• 1E29C17F-18C4-4B23-840E-A54057B901D6.jpeg
      1E29C17F-18C4-4B23-840E-A54057B901D6.jpeg
      1,017.7 KB · Views: 227
    • FDE72EF1-52B3-46A9-AB12-8F4FE62CD690.jpeg
      FDE72EF1-52B3-46A9-AB12-8F4FE62CD690.jpeg
      677.5 KB · Views: 475
    • 9CC42F8E-0F5C-4187-B45A-6F89061C9829.jpeg
      9CC42F8E-0F5C-4187-B45A-6F89061C9829.jpeg
      637.5 KB · Views: 70
    • 5DE57EFB-F635-4C67-B717-6C3DB7C3410D.jpeg
      5DE57EFB-F635-4C67-B717-6C3DB7C3410D.jpeg
      472.8 KB · Views: 87
    • 6463CC7B-9B65-4D23-A6F1-D2DD50F673FC.jpeg
      6463CC7B-9B65-4D23-A6F1-D2DD50F673FC.jpeg
      455 KB · Views: 113
    • E1F52B79-50C5-434B-A297-21C37ABF9809.jpeg
      E1F52B79-50C5-434B-A297-21C37ABF9809.jpeg
      512.5 KB · Views: 102
    Reactions: prreed10
    Built one of the first gen models. Took a little breaking in but after about 50 round it was fine.
    I did try to run it on an AA 22 kit and it didn’t work.

• Sad
    Reactions: deersniper
    I do not but my friend has two. One is Guccied out and the other is fairly plain. The grip angle is a little different on the P80 and I don't mind shooting it as much as a standard Glock.

I believe the frames are made by polymer 80. Should accept Glock magazines

Can you do 10mm? Would this be a good way to go if you were gonna do a pistol based wildcat like a 17-357 rgb (357 sig necked down to 17)?

So what’s the cheapest anyone was able to build one for?

I don’t think anyone is saving money building these. It’s more of a matter of starting completely blank and building exactly what you want vice buying a complete Glock and replacing 1/2 the parts with blingy shit you wanted in the first place.

I build a P 80. Spent way more than a factory Glock. Like...about twice as much. :) lol

But I hate the orangutan Glock grip angle, and got me a fine shooter.

Last edited:
    I just built this G43 Kit it turned out very nice just have to take your time and make sure you polish the lower frame rails with a dremal to a slick smooth finish and I have also had to slights polish the feel ramp to load smooth. The videos from Marine Gun builder are great info if your interested in a polymer 80 build.

Attachments

• FF901EF2-DC54-401B-B0E0-E933210A8198.jpeg
      FF901EF2-DC54-401B-B0E0-E933210A8198.jpeg
      1.3 MB · Views: 110
    • 92DF7C20-FCF0-4160-9FE9-D3395A9376C3.jpeg
      92DF7C20-FCF0-4160-9FE9-D3395A9376C3.jpeg
      938.5 KB · Views: 69
    • F85A3923-7E96-4420-9EB9-74C7E026CA6E.jpeg
      F85A3923-7E96-4420-9EB9-74C7E026CA6E.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 48
    Mine:

20200426_072255.jpg

Getting it to run well didn't require polishing the frame rails but rather a lot of trial-and-error with the main recoil Spring.

Reactions: CJ7nvrstk
    Saaaweeet .

As I said...I coulda had 2+ factory Glunks for what I paid here. :)

Shoots amazing. I can literally keep teh reticle right on target all the way thru the recoil stroke.

Last edited:
    So what do you need to finish the lower after drilling out?

Full trigger assembly w/ pins
    Mag release assembly
    Slide stop assembly
    Takedown pin assembly?

Anywhere have these in stock? lol I'd really like to get a lower parts kit without trigger and then get a Zev or something

So what do you need to finish the lower after drilling out?

Full trigger assembly w/ pins
    Mag release assembly
    Slide stop assembly
    Takedown pin assembly?

Anywhere have these in stock? lol I'd really like to get a lower parts kit without trigger and then get a Zev or something
    Midway has Glock 19 buy build shoot kit complete in stock in black only .

Reactions: Gustav7
    Just ordered PF45 to do a Glock 20 build, should be interesting..

Just ordered PF45 to do a Glock 20 build, should be interesting..

Lol you got this... I thought it was relatively easy to do overall...however I felt It was a little difficult to get perfect. I did not do my first one perfectly lol...but it does work fine.

I did a Glock 17 frame, and put a full size Glock 34 slide w/ threaded barrel on it. After about 200-300rds it really loosened up and broke in better. I would imagine over the next couple hundred it'll get even smoother. I did end up putting a lighter recoil spring in it, the G34 slide I got has no lightening cuts, and is a bit heavy. Stock spring wouldn't cycle all the way on anything less powerful than full factory loads.

Delivered yesterday, played with it a little. Really like the grip angle and overall width of the grip. Granted, it is the full sized 10mm, but the grip seems quite a bit less “girthy” than the OEM Glock frame. Looking forward to getting it ready this weekend.

I've had a 20 frame for like 8 months now.... Finding and waiting on slides is the time consuming part.

I agree about the edges though, I think they're supposed to be closer to the 20/21sf frames. Thinner.

I've also got a 19 that I built off an 80% that works great. My biggest sticking point with both of them has been making sure the slot for the recoil spring is nice and cleaned out. Any kind of friction in there will fuck it up.

Reactions: Gustav7
    I've had a 20 frame for like 8 months now.... Finding and waiting on slides is the time consuming part.

I agree about the edges though, I think they're supposed to be closer to the 20/21sf frames. Thinner.

I've also got a 19 that I built off an 80% that works great. My biggest sticking point with both of them has been making sure the slot for the recoil spring is nice and cleaned out. Any kind of friction in there will fuck it up.
    Good to know about the recoil spring slot, thx. I already have a G20, so waiting on parts isn't an issue to get started. I'm sure it'll be different when upgrade time comes for some things.

Mine:

Getting it to run well didn't require polishing the frame rails but rather a lot of trial-and-error with the main recoil Spring.

One of my frame rails was a little tight on the slide, but a little grease and 200 rounds and it worked right in fine.

I also played with the recoil spring. I ended up getting a 13lb spring and stainless guide rod from Squirrel Daddy and that helped a lot. I think my slide was heavier mixed with the factory lb spring didn't like anything short of full house loads.

One of my frame rails was a little tight on the slide, but a little grease and 200 rounds and it worked right in fine.

I also played with the recoil spring. I ended up getting a 13lb spring and stainless guide rod from Squirrel Daddy and that helped a lot. I think my slide was heavier mixed with the factory lb spring didn't like anything short of full house loads.

Every build I have done the slide is never smooth. I always end up using the honing stone that comes with a dremel kit to make it fit and smooth as glass.