• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Have you second guessed your career?

I have changed careers more than a few times and keeping life interesting just as much the motivation as the money. My ex father-in-law is the best example I have ever seen. After retiring from air-force, he went to university to study law, graduated/passed his bar as a lawyer at age 65.

I just changed careers this year, at 41. The two hardest things for me have been budgeting down from senior pay to new guy pay (and it's a work in progress) and acknowledging that I'm not an expert at anything like I was at the old job. I'm trusting a good work ethic, good work product, and patience to pay off.

Have you second guessed your career?

I used to think that Law Enforcement was a profession, at least that's what I was always told by people who worked in law enforcement. But I've come to realize that, minus the window dressing and toys and costumes, it's just a job.

I cannot speak to career choice, but I can speak toward school and life goals as they are right now. Last semester and maybe as early as the latter part of the one before, I started wondering if I could surpass my TBI isues to actually get into the MLS program. THIS semester, my student adviser, in a meeting with two department heads stated that my chances with repeated math, and chemistry classes was only 15%. I would theoretically spend two to three semesters awaiting acceptance because I did not get a first time Go in math or chemistry. These are words I should have heard at least three semesters back so I could have taken a harder look at where I was.
With that said, I have done everything I need to do to move from MLS to Psychology, where I am a much better fit, and finish my studies and get to work working with either Soldiers or Veteran's. The only blockage right this minute is a VA Vc rehab counselor who goes on vacation Monday, and did not return my calls, or reply to my emails that I have left since Wednesday after dropping off ALL her required paper, interviews school plans, and job searches. I did my part. I called, emailed, and made sure that she understood that to get my new schedule done, I needed her authorization BY FRIDAY...before she left for vacation.
I understand now that maybe a call to her supervisor on Monday afternoon may well be in order. If that does not get results, I will be visiting Mrs Blackburn's office and speaking to her Veteran's rep after the 1st.
Am I wrong to push this, this hard to get the results I need in a timely manner, and if not escalate it to higher levels as quick as I can after seeing if each escalation yields a solution or not?

#isuckatmath #isuckatchemnistry #icanwritethehelloutofapaper #myreserachittopshelf #icanDothis

You do what you have to do to reach your goals. If you held up your end and she failed then someone gets called on the carpet.

I cannot speak to career choice, but I can speak toward school and life goals as they are right now. Last semester and maybe as early as the latter part of the one before, I started wondering if I could surpass my TBI isues to actually get into the MLS program. THIS semester, my student adviser, in a meeting with two department heads stated that my chances with repeated math, and chemistry classes was only 15%. I would theoretically spend two to three semesters awaiting acceptance because I did not get a first time Go in math or chemistry. These are words I should have heard at least three semesters back so I could have taken a harder look at where I was.
With that said, I have done everything I need to do to move from MLS to Psychology, where I am a much better fit, and finish my studies and get to work working with either Soldiers or Veteran's. The only blockage right this minute is a VA Vc rehab counselor who goes on vacation Monday, and did not return my calls, or reply to my emails that I have left since Wednesday after dropping off ALL her required paper, interviews school plans, and job searches. I did my part. I called, emailed, and made sure that she understood that to get my new schedule done, I needed her authorization BY FRIDAY...before she left for vacation.
I understand now that maybe a call to her supervisor on Monday afternoon may well be in order. If that does not get results, I will be visiting Mrs Blackburn's office and speaking to her Veteran's rep after the 1st.
Am I wrong to push this, this hard to get the results I need in a timely manner, and if not escalate it to higher levels as quick as I can after seeing if each escalation yields a solution or not?

#isuckatmath #isuckatchemnistry #icanwritethehelloutofapaper #myreserachittopshelf #icanDothis

Dont call the supervisor, go see her. I had a vocational rehab councilor who was the same way. Every semester, just when I need approval he would go on vacation. The last semester I just went to his super and she was a lot more generous and chewed his ass out when he got back.

I used to think that Law Enforcement was a profession, at least that's what I was always told by people who worked in law enforcement. But I've come to realize that, minus the window dressing and toys and costumes, it's just a job.

Agreed. For me, it started as a crusade then it became a career. Now, I just try to get through the day without stepping on my dick and getting martyred on the altar of political correctness.

Kind of hard for me to hate my "job". I'm retired and my job now is building rifles and loading ammo ----------for ME.

That said, to the OP, remember that while you have the training and the demonstrated "smarts" you still don't have the one marketable quality -----experience.

I used to be an "Employer". Had all kinds of people come to me with job applications but no job experience. I hired a few but they got paid at the lowest rung of the pay scale. Some worked out and others moved on. As they gained experience and I learned what they were capable of they moved up the pay ladder. The ones that worked up the fastest were the ones that demonstrated they were "assets" rather than "liabilities". Had "Can Do" attitudes, came to me and asked "what can I do to advance", etc.

It's sad but event he best "trade schools" out there do their students a bit of a disservice by filling everyone's head with visions of great starting pay. Employers today don't do that. It's entry level wages until you prove yourself.

BTW, I started out on my first Job as the "Low Man on the Totem Pole". By the end of the first year I had been promoted 3 times. After 20 years I became a "Boss".

Whatever you do, don't quit a job to go looking for a job. It's best to look while your working and always leave your current employer on good terms. You may need a fall back in the future.

This is great advise. If you like the trade you have trained for, stick with it, gain some experience and be the best employee you can be. Be there on time, do your job and then some. That does'nt mean you can't look for a better job down the road and move on. Try to leave on good terms. I don't think there are many people out there that don't think about changing jobs every day. You are certainly young enough to do this and start over if necessary.

My nephew graduated from diesel mechanic school. When he got out he asked me to hire him on a drilling rig so he could pay off his school loans faster. He hasn't looked back! He's making about $100000/ year and lived it.

I am retiring next month after 49 years in my profession as a Chef. I have worked in five different countries and owned four food service businesses. My son is a heavy diesel mechanic by training and has changed his profession.
I would give you the following advise---

I don't think you are doing too bad. You have chosen a good profession and diesels are going to become more and more common. I understand lots of college and university grads can't find a job right now and are have big student loan debts to retire. MY grandson works as a receptionist for a oil company as an example. As a young man you will have to be patient and learn to live within your means and perhaps even work two jobs.
Here is what I know from experience.
Work at something you enjoy doing. If you don't like fixing things then do something else. You will be working for another 35 or 40 years so it will get really tuff if you don't enjoy doing what you do. I really enjoy running a culinary staff as much now as ever.
BUT - never make you hobby your profession - it will spoil the hobby and if its really fun chances are lots of folks are willing to do it for little or nothing. My example was training horses and my daughter's is music.
Once you found something stick to it. Don't keep starting over.
Start a professional network of folks that know you. Keep in touch with folks even over the course of many years.
Most important jobs are by way of a personal referral. That network is important. Fifteen years from now that big job offer is most likely going to come from someone you know and who knows you.
Find a mentor or even two that enjoys sharing. You will be able to tap into their networks too. Former instructors are a good start.

One of the best pieces of advise I got was after my apprenticeship - The Master Chef told me - Be patient when you are young and be brave when you get old. The second best may be my father's - who said "I don't care what you want to do - just stick to it and try to do the best you can and you will wind up in the catbird seat." (Never knew what the catbird seat was?)

Last of all if you think you want or need a change never look back. My son did not enjoy being a heavy diesel mechanic and wanted his own business. So he started a business building and modifying motor cycles with one helper. This is something he really enjoys. He added a motorcycle dealership and was eventually bought out by Honda USA.
So don't second guess your decisions.

Dont call the supervisor, go see her. I had a vocational rehab councilor who was the same way. Every semester, just when I need approval he would go on vacation. The last semester I just went to his super and she was a lot more generous and chewed his ass out when he got back.

I thought of that, but that also means a 45 mile trip to Nashville.
Trip to Nashville to see Supervisor:
$16 - $20 in gas
$5 - $15 in parking

Yes, I know it is a lot more effective and shows I mean business, but at a cost, during a time when I can not quite justify the cost. I may as well though, since it is my schooling and not hers...of course if the super is good she WILL be schooled...damned military spouse, wtf she doing working in a job where we need her to work and she vacations...every dang time too, like maggot says. I guess they do not realize we students need them to do stuff BETWEEN semesters, not usually during

There are good and there are bad aspects to "going over their head". The good part is that often you get what you need. The bad part is that the person who's head you went over is often waiting for you the next time around. Just remember how it was in the Military and what happened if you went over the Sgt's head.

That said, if you are in the right then go for it. Those who are incompetent or just like to be roadblocks will often be recognized as such and you may not have to ever deal with them again.

There are good and there are bad aspects to "going over their head". The good part is that often you get what you need. The bad part is that the person who's head you went over is often waiting for you the next time around. Just remember how it was in the Military and what happened if you went over the Sgt's head.

That said, if you are in the right then go for it. Those who are incompetent or just like to be roadblocks will often be recognized as such and you may not have to ever deal with them again.

She does have a history of not returning phone calls or email in a timely manner as well as not taking care of all open business before leaving on vacation. Her vacations also revolve around the semester breaks. The most important time we require her services are immediately after we get our grades back or are trying to get the classes for the next semester, yet she is leaving on vacation.

In the military, I had a history of going over people's heads when I was totally in the right, AND totally correct. The one time a Staff Sergeant was about to retaliate, I simply told him,"Look Staff, if you want to persist with this course of action, you will leave me no choice but to find you off post and settle this the old fashioned way. I'm old school like that. You really want to mess with me and make me a project, I will make you miserable in return. You have a choice. Back off, or carry on in a reasonable fashion." He did back off amicably, but as a Marine, who had been here a few times, I was more than ready to settle it 'in the whiskey locker'. I never, ever back down when I am right and if that means looking at people who want to retaliate, fine, I am more than capable to fight those fights too with the resources I have at my disposal

You should consider getting a job with one of the many forklift dealers. I work as a field service technician for Toyota. The money is good and I get a service van to drive. It's the closest thing to working for yourself also. I drive the van home every day and leave the next morning going to my next job that is somewhere in my territory. I rarely see or talk to my boss. My customers love me and look forward to me coming back. It's a good job for a mechanic.