• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Have you settled on one go to pistol?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
I'm kind of at that point of trying to decide on one "go to pistol" that I can use for everything. Right now I switch guns based on season, dress and sometimes S&G's. I know this is all personal preferance on Make, Model and caliber.. but just thought it would be good to hear from others that have thought about this also.. the "thinning the heard" theory.

So what is everything for me??
1. Primary CCW - comfortable to carry all year round and 100% reliable
2. Training - range work to keep up skills
3. Competition - Shooting USPSA Practical - Could have a gun to get scores up but would prefer to practice with my carry gun.
4. Packing/Camping gun - Usually a larger caliber for the unexpected larger than human needs but too big for normal EDC. (low on the "need" scale)

Re: Have you settled on one go to pistol?

A 4" 1911 in .45ACP remains unbeatable for any and all of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 4" 1911 in .45ACP remains unbeatable for any and all of that. </div></div>

^ that is the truth... It'll handle anything you're likely to run into on a trip on the town. Also, big enough to not hinder you in practicing/competition... My old man even caries corbon's when he's in the woods for bear protection in a pinch...

I think it's good to thin the herd, but keep in mind most things are going to be a compromise then.

For example #1 and 2 are easy to put together, but myself I've gone to two carry guns, a larger gun and a pocket 9mm. Yes you can tailor your dress to a larger gun anytime of the year, but it's much easier and looks less suspicious if you have a pocket open when it's 110 out. Some guys can easily conceal a full frame year round in any dress and for them one option is great.

Putting #3 with #1&2 is easy as long as you aren't serious about the competition end of things, as long as it's just practice with the CCW gun that's great. If you want to be competitive on score that's much harder if not impossible to do with a stock carry weapon. Personally it's a no brainer for me because I could care less about score I want the practice with my CCW gun.

#4 for me just wouldn't work in a lot of areas, if I'm camping/hiking/doing field work that's .44 mag minimum sidearm duty for the places I go. Depending on where you camp/hike and the "bad" things your likely to run into a 9mm/40/45 might be just for a sidearm and you can lump that right in.

So depending on your situation and willingness to compromise yeah it's possible to lump 1-4 into one gun. Myself it turns into 3 guns, 2 carry options and a field/hiking/camping gun.

Sig 238 in DeSantis pocket holster. All the time carry no matter the clothes or situation. I have many other pistols and holsters but this is the only one comfortable enough for everything.

Yep, Glock 19 with a little custom work for me.I don't really go camping to often and since I am in N Florida, not much chance of running into a grizzly... but for 1,2 and 3 it was between a Springfield TRP and the G19 for a while as to which one could be used for everything. The TRP shoots better, feels better, looks better, larger caliber, and even better as an ego booster. But I still choose the G19 because no matter what, I know it's going to run. I was 99% sure on the TRP but it was a little picky about what I ran through it. I have a G17 with competition trigger that I can drop into the 19 if I want to ... so yeah the G19, unless... oh who I am I kidding? One pistol?
wink.gif

For the longest time it has been my Sig 220. But after picking up a Glock G21SF over the weekend I see that changing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: geometro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45c </div></div>x2

I bought a sig 226 in 40, just cause I don't have a 40, and holy smokes is that a nice firearm.

But, if you had to have ONE firearm for everything, I am going to agree with the above and say commander 1911.

Ammo? Its everywhere like camaros.
Parts? I am surprised Napa doesn't carry them.
Magazines? Everywhere.
Work done? The challenge is finding a Gunsmith who does NOT know 1911s.

I just saw a Magnum Research 1911 commander size, seemed like a great little sidearm, and was fairly cheap, 700 bucks I think it was.

I would probably just keep my Springfield EMP. It's not competitive in USPSA but other than that, it fits those requirements perfectly.

Depends on what part of the house I'm in when trouble starts.

i think one gun for all those things is a pipe dream. a 4" 1911 is a great weapon, if you do alot of reading by the 1911 gods, they'll tell you about the required upkeep for a 1911 especially one of less then 5". you are also goin to find that pistols fit each person much diferently then say a rifle. I always tell people that when they ask my opinion on pistols. Just because i can shoot a HK expert, g21, g17, full size 1911, etc well doesn't mean that the next person can.i also have a easier time concealing larger weapons because i'm over 6' and a decent sized guy. you really cannot go wrong with most of the big companies. if the pistol fits you well, and conceals well on you then thats a good gun.

for the most part if you want to carry a gun in the woods it most likely won't be a 9mm if you expect to "protect" yourself much. so stick with 45 at least

Sorry to the 1911 guys. Better technology has come out in the last 100 years. I had a glock forever. Then I started carrying more. Got rid of it. Couldn't get used to not having a real safety. So I got a hk usp tactical in 9mm. I like it a lot. 9Mm is cheap to practice with and I like the platform not to mention more ammo in one mag than a 1911 has in 2 (3 if you get the funnel mags). I don't shoot litttle guns that well and don't trust my life to a compact. That being said. I got a keltec 380 as a backup. Great little pocket gun. I sometimes forget it is there it is so comfy. It just isn't always practical to carry a fullsize. I don't think there is a one gun...just not possible. I do believe that a 357 mag wheelgun can come close to that though. Just not enough ammo cappacity for edc for me.

My HK45 can be carried just fine in the colder weather months. My P30 in .40 S&W is pretty much my go to gun for carry year round and some light competition. As far as trusting your life to it, over 6,000 rounds through the HK45-no jams-no failures. Over 2,000 rounds exiting the P30 with same results. USP and USP Expert with same results. I have seen countless Kimbers and the like as well as Glocks fail in relative small round count comps. In my humble opinion, I put my trust in HK.

Gen3 Glock 23 is clearly the pistol to do all of the above...

- small enough to carry.

- great to train with says thousands of law enforcement officers.

- great for USPSA (i shoot mine in uspsa)

- 40 S&W is a big enough caliber to use in the wilderness (unless you live in alaska)

and to the guys saying 45ACP is good for USPSA your on crack...

A Glock 23 isn't all that competitive in any division of USPSA.

A 9mm would be a better choice (production).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to the 1911 guys. Better technology has come out in the last 100 years. I had a glock forever. Then I started carrying more. Got rid of it. Couldn't get used to not having a real safety. So I got a hk usp tactical in 9mm. I like it a lot. 9Mm is cheap to practice with and I like the platform not to mention more ammo in one mag than a 1911 has in 2 (3 if you get the funnel mags). </div></div>

Oh, so being plastic makes it better? All this wonderful technology and they still can't seem to put a gun together that will fit a small hand. I don't necessarily see one as better than any other.

-1911s have their issues.

-H&K Wouldn't know customer service or a good trigger if either fell on them. And occasionally, gasp, they do break.

-Glock, despite belief to the contrary, has it's issues as well. Take down lever springs break, trigger springs break

Until such time as we have a solid state plasma rifle, everything has its faults.

Nope

I have my favorite.. my TRP Operator but terrible to carry

I have a Kimber Tactical II Ultra for that.

Getting there though, maybe someday

How about:

What do you shoot the best?

Whats the largest caliber you can control?

what size handgun can you conceal easiest?

we all got opinions but odds are they all aren't right for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: younggun22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about:

What do you shoot the best?

Whats the largest caliber you can control?

what size handgun can you conceal easiest?

we all got opinions but odds are they all aren't right for you
</div></div>

Agreed. I'm not looking for advice for myself.. just asking a question to see what others are doing. I've already got my own plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kind of at that point of trying to decide on one "go to pistol" that I can use for everything. Right now I switch guns based on season, dress and sometimes S&G's. I know this is all personal preferance on Make, Model and caliber.. but just thought it would be good to hear from others that have thought about this also.. the "thinning the heard" theory.

So what is everything for me??
1. Primary CCW - comfortable to carry all year round and 100% reliable
2. Training - range work to keep up skills
3. Competition - Shooting USPSA Practical - Could have a gun to get scores up but would prefer to practice with my carry gun.
4. Packing/Camping gun - Usually a larger caliber for the unexpected larger than human needs but too big for normal EDC. (low on the "need" scale) </div></div>

1. Glock 21- No one should question 45 ACP as a stopper provided shot placement is where it should be and Glocks have proven their reliability over and over.
2. Glock 21- Firm believer of training with what you carry.
3. Glock 21- Based on your "preference" of practicing with your carry gun during competition and not winning the competition.
4. Glock 21- I'll take 14rds of 45 ACP any day over 9mm or .40 for camping/hiking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Glock 21- No one should question 45 ACP as a stopper provided shot placement is where it should be and Glocks have proven their reliability over and over.
</div></div>

I'm as much a .45 guy as the next however, I have seen first hand that a 9mm properly applied is quite effective. Though it did involve a head shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Glock 21- No one should question 45 ACP as a stopper provided shot placement is where it should be and Glocks have proven their reliability over and over.
</div></div>

I'm as much a .45 guy as the next however, I have seen first hand that a 9mm properly applied is quite effective. Though it did involve a head shot. </div></div>

Never said 9mm couldn't get the job done, but there are many including myself that would rather have the 45. I'm confident that there are many people that stake their lives on the 9mm everyday and have no reservations about doing so.

I have also met several people who have questioned the 9mm as a reliable stopping round, however I have never met one that questioned the 45.

Again, just a matter of personal preference and mine happens to be the 45.

There is one pistol, that can do all you are asking for, better than the rest, much better than the rest H&K P7

It's probably worth some money, I'll be sure to send it home to your family after the bear eats you.

Glock 19 is what I use. I love it. Also have a 26.

I like glocks because you just load them and go. Nothing else to switch, grip,flip etc etc.

Friend of mine is Seal team buddy..... He says Sig 226 9mm is the primary weapon for a pistol for Seals.
Some times they grab the Mark 23 45 ACP but it's mostly the SIG.

I have a 226 9mm on hand and he just settled in and was in a zone as we shot paper at 10 yard and plate rack at 25 yard.

I have to agree with him.... The Sig is sweet.

I still love the 1911 for many reasons and if you have one that shoots well, enjoy it......It's sweet too.
...SmokeRolls

teams don't have the mk23 HK's anymore. just sigs till the 45c comes online soon.

just to be differnt im going to say look at a s,w 357 mag .there are differnt models to suit almost anyone . from 2" j frame ultra lights that weight 12 oz, to 7-8 shot medium and full frames

I carry a Glock 36. Had it for years and love it. That being said I think I'm going to change to the 23. The capacity is just the kicker for me and the 30 is just to fat. Not to disrespect you 9mm guys but there is no way in hell I would trust my life to a 9. I do own a couple of 9's. My 34 is a fun shooter but it lives in the safe and at the range...I think the .40 is the best compromise between capacity and ballistic preformance. Still in my mind the .45 is king but the capacity sucks.

Glock, Sig, HK are all fine firearms. Personal preference when it comes to the manufacturer.

1911's are great but you must know how to use them. I don't get to shoot as much as I used to and that's why my 1911s stay in the safe. If you carry one for EDC you had better practice with it. In the heat of the moment that thumb had better hit that safety or it could be your ass. Better yet it had better be cocked to begin with. I've seen guys carrying 1911's with the hammer down...WTF....The last thing I want to do in a gunfight is cock the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry a Glock 36. Had it for years and love it. That being said I think I'm going to change to the 23. The capacity is just the kicker for me and the 30 is just to fat. Not to disrespect you 9mm guys but there is no way in hell I would trust my life to a 9. I do own a couple of 9's. My 34 is a fun shooter but it lives in the safe and at the range...I think the .40 is the best compromise between capacity and ballistic preformance. Still in my mind the .45 is king but the capacity sucks.

Glock, Sig, HK are all fine firearms. Personal preference when it comes to the manufacturer.

1911's are great but you must know how to use them. I don't get to shoot as much as I used to and that's why my 1911s stay in the safe. If you carry one for EDC you had better practice with it. In the heat of the moment that thumb had better hit that safety or it could be your ass. Better yet it had better be cocked to begin with. I've seen guys carrying 1911's with the hammer down...WTF....The last thing I want to do in a gunfight is cock the gun. </div></div>

I climbed down out of my jeep along with the other drivers in the group. We'd found a nice spot on the trail for lunch. Just then, my friend's brother-in-law points to my Kimber that is sitting on my hip and says,"hey, do you know your hammer is cocked?"
I respond,"yes I do. It always is."
"Isn't that dangerous?" Comes his query
"Naw, that's the way John Moses Browning designed it, and I've never seen a cause for concern." I replied

That was an actual exchange I had with someone. A coworker of mine in a gunshop a few years back had a customer point to his gun and say,"you're gonna shoot your leg off like that."
Jay, my coworker responded,"I've been carrying a 1911 for 20+ years, and the only problem I ever had was the one time my mom asked me to lower the hammer, and I shot a hole in her new linoleum floor."

And like you said, I've never understood the point of carrying a 1911 with the hammer down either with or without a loaded chamber. Its like people assume that if they need the gun, they're going to have both hands free.

Like many other people, a 5 inch 1911. However, a 4 inch 686 or pre lawyer-lock 686+ is a very close second in my book. I favor the 6 inch more, but in the interest of keeping with the OPs #1 (Primary Carry-comfortable to carry all year round. . .) I will say go with the 4 inch.

The Performance Center Model 327 TRR8 5" might be a solid gun to fill this bill (and one I'd love to get my hands on) but I can not speak for it as I have never shot that particular model.

9mm SIG 226R for me. Night sights, SRT trigger, and 18+1 MecGar mags.

Though I've gotten a Glock 19 last fall and I've been warming up to it. Hard to pick between the two.

hipoint 380 here, just pure awsome! my backup though is a prison purse stored derringer

No, plastic doesn't make a gun better. I have no issue with the 1911 at all. Just saying improvements have been made in the last 100 years. No denying that. Personally, I just cant get past only having 7 rounds...that sux. The 1911 is too skinny and small for my hands. So I did look at the doublestack 1911. For that price I decided on hk. And haven't looked back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, plastic doesn't make a gun better. I have no issue with the 1911 at all. Just saying improvements have been made in the last 100 years. No denying that. Personally, I just cant get past only having 7 rounds...that sux. The 1911 is too skinny and small for my hands. So I did look at the doublestack 1911. For that price I decided on hk. And haven't looked back. </div></div>

See I think that's just it, you have large hands where I have small ones. I've owned H&Ks in the past and really liked my USP45(but carried it cocked and locked), it just wasn't practical for concealed carry. Felt like I was trying to carry a lightweight brick around with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter19802003</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, plastic doesn't make a gun better. I have no issue with the 1911 at all. Just saying improvements have been made in the last 100 years. No denying that. Personally, I just cant get past only having 7 rounds...that sux. The 1911 is too skinny and small for my hands. So I did look at the doublestack 1911. For that price I decided on hk. And haven't looked back. </div></div>

Felt like I was trying to carry a lightweight brick around with me.</div></div>

It is on the hefty side. I will give you that. I figure if all else fails it will actually help me in hand to hand.....lol. you get used to it though. The more I carried it the less I started to even notice it.

I am not harping on the the 1911...to each their own. Its just not for me. I really like the kimber desert model with the digital grips. I tried to make the gun work. I just couldn't get it to feel right. Then I was going to get a doublestack in 9mm......couldn't justify the cost though.

Had a lot of guns over the years, autos and wheelguns from all the bigger names and some not so big. These days I carry the same old Glock 17 I have had for almost 20 years. It shoots exactly where I point it, over 10,000 rounds down the pipe without a malfunction, and will kill anything I expect to encounter in MO. It is on the second set of night sights, everything else is original but the 3.5lb. trigger it got when I shot IPSC and steel with it. I think I'll carry it a while longer.