• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Having a Badger brake installed...... questions

fz4vgq

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
I have a new Savage 110FP in 300 WM that i'm wanting to have a Badger removable brake installed on. Couple of questions regarding the job.

1. Is the barrel removed from the action to thread the barrel ? Or can the smith leave the barrel attached to the action and still chuck it up in the lathe ?

2. The stock barrel length is 24", does the smith have to cut the barrel shorter to thread it ? I'd like to keep the barrel 24".

3. Does the whole barrel have to be refinished or can the area threaded just be "touched up" ? Or....... does the lathe chucks leave marks on the finish that requires a full refinish?

Thanks,
Fz

Re: Having a Badger brake installed...... questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fz4vgq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a new Savage 110FP in 300 WM that i'm wanting to have a Badger removable brake installed on. Couple of questions regarding the job.

1. Is the barrel removed from the action to thread the barrel ? Or can the smith leave the barrel attached to the action and still chuck it up in the lathe ?
</div></div>

Depends on their equipment but neither method will affect your accuracy when done right if that is your concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fz4vgq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. The stock barrel length is 24", does the smith have to cut the barrel shorter to thread it ? I'd like to keep the barrel 24".</div></div>

They can keep it at 24" if thats what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fz4vgq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3. Does the whole barrel have to be refinished or can the area threaded just be "touched up" ? Or....... does the lathe chucks leave marks on the finish that requires a full refinish?
</div></div>

The smith will use inserts of a softer material like Aluminum so the lathe chucks are not going to be biting into your barrel.

I would suggest Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. He has done a bunch of work for me and his work is top notch and he's a super nice guy. His contact info is in my sig. He is also a site sponsor here.

It depends on the type of lathe thats used. I know we pull the barrels to thread now, but we used to be able to do barreled actions with our old lathe.

Yes you can leave the barrel full length. Depending on the setup the barrel may need to have the crown cleaned/recut (live centering tends to smoosh the tips of the lands) but its not like you're losing an inch of barrel.

We try and just refinish the affected area and take precautions to prevent the chuck from marking up the barrel.

But in the end it all depends on who is threading your barrel. Contact the smithy of your choice and ask THEM what THEY do. Everything here is just the way others do things. Good luck.

Thanks guys.

Call these guys and ask http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=10&idcategory=27
They are top notch, do what they say they will do, do when then say they will and do it correctly. After a not so good experience with GS recommended here I'm going with these guys. They have threaded for me before but damned if I didn't think of them prior to sending to other.