• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Having some viper hst issues

Cleanmiss

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2010
sacramento
Went out shooting Sunday and encountered some issues. First problem is I can't finely focus at any magnification and parallax most prevalent at 100yds. I can see my 1" square target but it's not clear at all. Second problem I'm having is with my zero stop. Just recently re zeroed and set the shims, but when returning to zero the stop shifted from .4 clicks past to 1.2 past. I was in a hurry so I didn't get to re check my zero but it's been bothering me. I contacted Vortex Thursday but no answer back yet. Are these valid excuses to get new glass?;)

Can’t say I have any problems with focus on mine.
If the shims first the zero stop aren’t perfectly clean or stacked cleanly the setting will change.

Reactions: AMGtuned
I’ve never had a set of shims set the knob perfectly at zero. They just keep you from the getting off a full rotation. Shouldn’t bother your zero any. You said you were “rezeroing”. How much change did you have and did you change out the number of shims? The shift may be from the added difference resetting your turret?
The focus could be a lot of things. Check your rear diopter then set parallax. Could be a mix of settings with environmental factors. Mirage, barrel heat etc. that being said I’ve never heard a bad thing about vortex return policy. They will make it right

Mine weren't set at perfect zero, but after I dialed back they were way past my previous stop. Shim style stops won't ever be at perfect zero, at least all of em I've seen. I changed to a 20moa rail so I just started from scratch. Tried multiple times to get the right combo of diopter and parallax as well. It's the same in multiple different areas. I've heard great things about their customer service as well. I'll give them a few days then try to get ahold of them again.

With the shims, what I’ve done in the past is set up the shims for your zero, then see how many clicks past zero you can dial without _forcing_ it. Lets say you got 3 clicks past zero. So set your turret and shims to 3 clicks before zero. Voila, it will stop at zero now. Hope that helps someone.

In regards to zero stop, personally prefer zs a few tenths or quarter minutes if that's your thing, under zero. Hell I leave myself a half AT LEAST so I don't have to mess with zero stop in the event the gods see fit to shift my poi for whatever reason.

As far as the shim stops on the hst and older pst models, I have never had one shimmed to stop hard perfect at zero that I can recall, that's just the nature of the system I guess. They do smoosh and rise a little so your zero stop position may change occasionally. Other than my personal preference stated above it never was an issue.

Give 'em a call or hang tight for a return email..their cs is top notch and they will get you squared away. I rolled a rifle off my tailgate smack dab on the ocular end of an hst rendering it done and they replaced it nib, no questions asked.

Went out shooting Sunday and encountered some issues. First problem is I can't finely focus at any magnification and parallax most prevalent at 100yds. I can see my 1" square target but it's not clear at all. Second problem I'm having is with my zero stop. Just recently re zeroed and set the shims, but when returning to zero the stop shifted from .4 clicks past to 1.2 past. I was in a hurry so I didn't get to re check my zero but it's been bothering me. I contacted Vortex Thursday but no answer back yet. Are these valid excuses to get new glass?;)
I am having a very similar problem, focus diopter on clear white background then when shooting at 100 yds the target is only clear when parallax knob is at 500 yds. I thought it was just old eyes then got another Vortex and a world of difference. 100, 200, 300 all focus correctly. Had someone else, young eyes look to verify.

My hs lr does the same thing...zero stop is no biggie but the parallax is annoying...i cant completely focus at 300yds.

Shooting at a 3" red post-it note on a white background just looks like a red squarish blob.

Keep us posted with your results so i can address my own.

Shred

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'll keep you guys posted on what they say. May try calling them since I haven't heard back yet.

I got rid of mine because I could never get it to focus sharply either, at any distance. And yes, I set the ocular focus as best I could like I have in dozens of other scopes. I figured it was my astigmatism, but maybe not.