• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hawkins Precision Long Action Hunter DBM and Flush Magazine

HawkinsPrecision

Commercial Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Hawkins Precision is proud to announce the release of our Long Action Hunter DBM and Long Action Flush Hunter Magazine.
The Hunter Detachable Box Magazine (DBM) bottom metal is designed for shooters that are looking for a flush bottom metal that will accept flush magazines. The bottom metal features a patented cantilever spring mag release system that will not open under heavy recoil. The magazine release is also adjustable, sleek and all but impossible to actuate accidentally.
https://hawkinsprecision.com/pro.../hunter-dbm-bottom-metal/

The flush magazines are specifically designed to be used in our LA Hunter DBM and give shooters additional space for a longer COAL of 3.770".
https://hawkinsprecision.com/product/hunter-magazine/

The first two magazines available are for the 300 PRC/28 Nosler, and 300NM / 338 Lapua. Hawkins Flush Hunter DBM will not work with CIP length AICS, MDT, or Accurate magazines, so be sure to pair it with a flush magazine!

Dealers and Individuals - Contact [email protected] for more information about ordering. Hunter DBMs and Magazines are available now through several dealers as well!

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 501
  • P1020832-logo.jpg
    P1020832-logo.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 473
Great.

Are the 300 PRC/28 Nosler and the 300 NM/338LM both 3.770 for maximum COAL? I was hoping for longer for the 300 NM.

Will these fit a stock and action cut for M5 bottom metal but an extended Wyatt's box?

These are a great addition for hunters who like flush floor plates and the convenience of detachable magazines.

I will have two, please.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkinsPrecision
They both have 3.770" COAL. That's about what we're working with to stick with the standard LA M5 inlet, which these will fit.

Which Length AICS mags fit or do only the flush mags work in it?

My brother got a stock cut for the Hawkins M5 with the intention of using the hunter DBM with 30-06 mags but from the sounds of it those mags won’t work in this bottom metal.

Right now the bottom metal and magazines need to be sold together. The bottom metal is not designed to work with AICS, MDT or Accurate magazines. We don't have any .470 bolt face LA magazines available at this time. To get it all to work we needed to go with a proprietary design.

I am guessing that since the bottom metal is not compatible with other magazines, that the magazines aren't compatible with other bottom metals?

I have a KRG Bravo with which I'd love to be able to run a short magnum flush mag...

I am guessing that since the bottom metal is not compatible with other magazines, that the magazines aren't compatible with other bottom metals?

I have a KRG Bravo with which I'd love to be able to run a short magnum flush mag...

These will not work in a KRG Bravo. For a couple reason, first being the base plate on the magazine would restrict it from fully inserting into your chassis. Unfortunately none of our hunter mags work in any chassis that we know of.

Also the Bravo specifically is made for CIP AICS magazines, which are a hair smaller than MDT and Accurate magazines. Our magazines are a tad larger to allow more COAL in the long action M5 inlet.

I have been begging Hawkins for years for these it seems like. I received a half dozen in the first production. Yesterday was the first chance I got to sit down and really evaluate them.

The bottom line is these are phenomenal.

Bottom Metal + Magazine weighs 6.5 ounces. Hawkins BDL + Wyatt's Mag/Follower/Spring weighs 5.0 ounces. Hawkins M5 + CIP length Accurate Mag 5 rd mag weighs 13.5 ounces.

There is ZERO rattling with the magazine. The fit to the bottom metal is really solid.

At first, I was disappointed that an AICS pattern magazine wouldn't fit. After inspecting these magazines I've decided I'm really glad they don't. The reason why is because the 300 PRC magazine sits about 1/4" or less low of the stock. This, along with zero noise/rattling is way more important for the majority of my applications than the ability to run an AICS magazine. The 300 norma magazine sits about a 1/2" low.

I tested the 300 PRC magazine in a non-barreled action & stock with a variety of calibers. 28 Nosler has plenty of room for 28 Nosler seating 195's near the lands. I had perhaps .150" or so of magazine room left.

A factory 300 WSM cartridge feeds great out of these mags. This is gonna be really nice for those SAUM/WSM rifle in long actions with long heavy bullets.

Belted cartridge of any size will not work.

Standard base diamter size cartridges, like 270 or 6.5-284 can fit 4 in the mag- but will experience feed issues without modifications to the feed lips on the mag. Not sure how the end user would do this, but I may play with a few things.

Extremely happy with these. And if I or a customer wants to run an AICS mag, simply swapping out bottom metal is easy enough to make the proprietary magazine well worth it.

These mags are the best of all worlds for a hunting rig, in my opinion. You get a center feed design so the absolute best for reliability & feeding, less moving parts than a BDL magazine system and far less tuning, which can be a pain at times with the ultra mag size cartridges out of a BDL box magazine, particularly if the feed lips aren't quite right. Plus, there is very little increase in weight over the BDL system.

The one tuning item end user may want to do would be to relieve some spring pressure. Do this by taking the mag apart & grinding off a small corner at each of the 3 bends of the spring. A little bit goes a long ways. 1/16th of an inch made the magazine a little easier to load & doesn't apply quite as much pressure on the case body during feeding. I wonder if you could accomplish a similar result by leaving a mag loaded for extended duration. I will test that out.

Either way, thank you guys very much. Very happy with the M5 Hunter system here.

I agree with all the above.

Very happy with mine. All the benefits of BDL and dead easy to load in the field.

My only problem is these are not drop free magazines. No worries about them falling out accidentally. My hope was I could carry a spare magazine and do a reload by changing magazines. Not going to happen. Easy to insert. Not so easy to extract.

If anyone figures out how to relieve the fit to make the magazine more or less drop-free when the release is pressed, I would be grateful.

Well done guys.

Reactions: BAKPAKR
I agree with all the above.

Very happy with mine. All the benefits of BDL and dead easy to load in the field.

My only problem is these are not drop free magazines. No worries about them falling out accidentally. My hope was I could carry a spare magazine and do a reload by changing magazines. Not going to happen. Easy to insert. Not so easy to extract.

If anyone figures out how to relieve the fit to make the magazine more or less drop-free when the release is pressed, I would be grateful.

Well done guys.
These mags will drop free if you do one of two things:

1. File mag catch down slightly Hawkins does not recommend this, see below

or

2. File back of magazine where mag catch latches down slightly

It doesn't take much, so work in small intervals.

Last edited:
For the LA and SA magazines we worked to get a bit of magazine tension in the bottom metal. Some folks don't want them to be drop free, some folks want them to drop free. At some point we're working with personal preferences, but we've worked hard to have a good balance.

As mentioned, you can tweak the retention by adjusting the mag catch on the back of the magazine. The latch on the bottom metal we'd recommend you leave as is.

Reactions: DR&M
Are the Long Action Magazines a true center feed? I am looking to pair these with a Terminus Kratos X for a 300 Norma Mag build in a McMillian stock.
Would like to ensure I know they will work with the Kratos X since it requires a center feed DBM.

Do you have BDL style bottom metal that will fit Remington factory BDL stocks or is yours made for custom flat bottom stocks?

Last edited:
Do you have BDL style bottom metal that will fit Remington factory BDL stocks or is yours made for custom flat bottom stocks?
Our standard Oberndorf is the hinged floorplate that most closely mirrors the factory BDL Remington. There may be some minor fitting to get it to sit flush in the stock, but they are close.

Our standard Oberndorf is the hinged floorplate that most closely mirrors the factory BDL Remington. There may be some minor fitting to get it to sit flush in the stock, but they are close.
I just added that and your follower to my 280AI in a Magpul Hunter stock. Damn fine piece of gear and a lot sleeker than the 6 round single feed Magpul mag. setup for a hunting rig. I don’t find that I get into running firefights and mag changes with my prey these days. It also gave me some needed COL length room…..

Thanks for a great product and the great service when I called….

03A1F16F-E0B6-46AA-910B-1AD1BC50275F.jpeg
4252CCB5-C560-428E-A95F-555641093212.jpeg
F5204A56-97BC-4103-B37B-6EAED7AD28AA.jpeg

This is from your website. The Hawkins Precision Oberndorf bottom metal will fit in a Remington 700 short action and long action BDL inlet, but will cosmetically not look right. Could you give some detail about this.

I just added that and your follower to my 280AI in a Magpul Hunter stock. Damn fine piece of gear and a lot sleeker than the 6 round single feed Magpul mag. setup for a hunting rig. I don’t find that I get into running firefights and mag changes with my prey these days. It also gave me some needed COL length room…..

Thanks for a great product and the great service when I called….

View attachment 7772566
View attachment 7772549
View attachment 7772565
Awesome, thanks! Glad to help. Thanks for running Hawkins Precision.

This is from your website. The Hawkins Precision Oberndorf bottom metal will fit in a Remington 700 short action and long action BDL inlet, but will cosmetically not look right. Could you give some detail about this.

Yes, the Oberndorf normally fits into a BDL inlet but may need minor fitting to sit flush. Sometimes they drop in, sometimes they do need fitting.

Am I correct in reading that these actually allow for .020 COAL more than CIP AICS mags? 3.77 > 3.75
Yes, COAL for the LA Hunter Magazines for 300 PRC and 338 Lapua is 3.770".

First batch is coming off machines. Medium length Hunter DBM, Flush Mags, M5 DBM and M5 Oberndorfs. Look for a more official announcement with specs soon.
That’s awesome news! I can’t wait for specifications/details on the mag lengths. Hopefully these magazines will support the various cartridges such as SAUMs/PRCs/etc.

Awesome, thanks! Glad to help. Thanks for running Hawkins Precision.

Yes, the Oberndorf normally fits into a BDL inlet but may need minor fitting to sit flush. Sometimes they drop in, sometimes they do need fitting.

Yes, COAL for the LA Hunter Magazines for 300 PRC and 338 Lapua is 3.770".
This same Mag should fit 300 Norma Magnum then correct?

Well I just bought the one off RedHawk rifles that said “300NM/338LM”….
I have both. One is marked 300 NM (which of course will fit a 338 LM). The second is marked 300 PRC.

The 300 PRC fits close to flush. The 300 NM does not but it's close enough for my purpose. They are not the same magazine.

Both are 3.770 COAL.

I have both. One is marked 300 NM (which of course will fit a 338 LM). The second is marked 300 PRC.

The 300 PRC fits close to flush. The 300 NM does not but it's close enough for my purpose. They are not the same magazine.

Both are 3.770 COAL.
Just got my Bottom Metal and 300NM Hunter Magazine. While they are certainly top notch and high quality, as you said they are certainly not a “flush fit” magazine. The edges are much nicer to hold than that of an AICS mag and the additional 20 tho of bullet seating is great, so I’ll stick with them. But if someone wants something actually “flush” in long action, should stick with the Hawkins BDL.

Reactions: st1650
Just got my Bottom Metal and 300NM Hunter Magazine. While they are certainly top notch and high quality, as you said they are certainly not a “flush fit” magazine. The edges are much nicer to hold than that of an AICS mag and the additional 20 tho of bullet seating is great, so I’ll stick with them. But if someone wants something actually “flush” in long action, should stick with the Hawkins BDL.
Pics?

Attachments

• 5380FAD4-6F7E-4491-8470-3D5A2C4E3FEE.jpeg
    5380FAD4-6F7E-4491-8470-3D5A2C4E3FEE.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 8DA2CDA4-5361-4BFE-8077-7263760ABA51.jpeg
    8DA2CDA4-5361-4BFE-8077-7263760ABA51.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 120
  • A993D908-99E5-4F49-9F8E-FCF4628E643E.jpeg
    A993D908-99E5-4F49-9F8E-FCF4628E643E.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 99046D4B-50F6-44BA-ADF6-FB859E55B25E.jpeg
    99046D4B-50F6-44BA-ADF6-FB859E55B25E.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: Holliday
Or the MDT plastic 3 round aics for SA. Its absolutely flush and 100$ cheaper.

Honestly had I known what I know now I would have saved my money and went with the MDT. Had nothing but issues with my Hawkins SA 4rnd AICS hunter. And it was with 6.5 creed ... hardly a cartridge difficult to feed...

Honestly had I known what I know now I would have saved my money and went with the MDT. Had nothing but issues with my Hawkins SA 4rnd AICS hunter. And it was with 6.5 creed ... hardly a cartridge difficult to feed...
What problems did you have and with what action/mag cut? I'm looking at these right now...

What problems did you have and with what action/mag cut? I'm looking at these right now...
Arc Nuke 2.0.
Hunter M5 DBM
Foundation stock

The MDT both metal 10 rounds and plastic 3 round feeds like butter.
The Hawkins mag, the feed lips were way too wide (and just felt geometrically wrong) causing the cartridge to be way too high and the rim would get caught on the the back of the mags or nose down and the bolt would pass over.
The feed lips are also way forward compared to the MDT which causes the round to hang and just not feed smoothly. I had to use a vice, files, emery paper, sand paper and polish which isn’t any thing I really like to do on a 130$ magazine. I might drop them at the smith sometime next week and see if he can work some magic but ultimately not something I expected for the cost of the magazine. It does feed now but very stiff and not smooth at all yet if I open up the feed lips it’ll cause the other issues.

Reactions: Desert Demon
Arc Nuke 2.0.
Hunter M5 DBM
Foundation stock

The Hawkins mag, the feed lips were way too wide (and just felt geometrically wrong) causing the cartridge to be way too high and the rim would get caught on the the back of the mags or nose down and the bolt would pass over.
The feed lips are also way forward compared to the MDT which causes the round to hang and just not feed smoothly. I had to use a vice, files, emery paper, sand paper and polish which isn’t any thing I really like to do on a 130$ magazine. I might drop them at the smith sometime next week and see if he can work some magic but ultimately not something I expected for the cost of the magazine. It does feed now but very stiff and not smooth at all yet if I open up the feed lips it’ll cause the other issues.
Goes to show the action matters - with the AntiX I had, the MDT magazine feedlips were too short, causing me all kinds of problems with the rounds popping up and bouncing off the top of the receiver before the nose was in the chamber far enough to feed without wedging at an angle. Accurate AICS had longer feedlips and didn't have this problem, so head's up on that magazine, too. Thanks for the input, that's very helpful!

Goes to show the action matters - with the AntiX I had, the MDT magazine feedlips were too short, causing me all kinds of problems with the rounds popping up and bouncing off the top of the receiver before the nose was in the chamber far enough to feed without wedging at an angle. Accurate AICS had longer feedlips and didn't have this problem, so head's up on that magazine, too. Thanks for the input, that's very helpful!
Yeah for a “CRF” action like the Nuke, shorter feed lips might be better.
I also had better luck with Accurate mags with my AnTI as opposed to MDT.
So all in all, it depends.

Reactions: ormandj
Y

Yea, but MDT only makes those for SA—and only .308 family. Maybe with enough feedback they will eventually make them for LA. But then you have the feed lip issue on a polymer mag—can’t adjust.
For long action—this seems like a good solution.

Arc Nuke 2.0.
Hunter M5 DBM
Foundation stock

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the magazines. The geometry of the feed lips and the height of the magazines has been optimized to work in as many platforms as possible. Generally when folks have this sort of problem it's a pillar height issue, but you should not be having that with a Foundation. It may be something to do with the Nucleus, we'd really have to see to diagnose for you.

Y

Yea, but MDT only makes those for SA—and only .308 family. Maybe with enough feedback they will eventually make them for LA. But then you have the feed lip issue on a polymer mag—can’t adjust.
For long action—this seems like a good solution.
It’s also short COAL since it’s polymer. I do wish they made them steel in a binderless magazine length, and also offered it for SAUM style cartridges.

@HawkinsPrecision will your flush hunter magazines work in any AICS magazine compatible system, or only your bottom metal? They look like a great option for lightweight chassis-built rifles, if so.

Has anyone gotten one of these LA options to work well with a 6.5-284?

I like it on my 300 NM. I don’t want to mess with that mag out of fear of messing up what isn’t broke. But considering getting another set to use for a 6.5-284. I assume you need to adjust the feed lips?

It’s also short COAL since it’s polymer. I do wish they made them steel in a binderless magazine length, and also offered it for SAUM style cartridges.

@HawkinsPrecision will your flush hunter magazines work in any AICS magazine compatible system, or only your bottom metal? They look like a great option for lightweight chassis-built rifles, if so.
The flush magazines will not work in any AICS mag well. The mag well needs to be flush on the bottom since the magazines are short and the base pad hits the bottom of the magazine well. We can only guarantee they work in ours, but we've had many reports they work well in Waypoint 2020 rifles as well, as an example.

We are working on LA, standard bolt face magazines now too. 280 AI / 284 WIN, etc.

Arc Nuke 2.0.
Hunter M5 DBM
Foundation stock

Not surprising as CRF actions like short feed lips and sounds like it needed a height and/or feed lip adjustment.

The flush magazines will not work in any AICS mag well. The mag well needs to be flush on the bottom since the magazines are short and the base pad hits the bottom of the magazine well. We can only guarantee they work in ours, but we've had many reports they work well in Waypoint 2020 rifles as well, as an example.

We are working on LA, standard bolt face magazines now too. 280 AI / 284 WIN, etc.
Great to hear. I’ll anxiously await the .284 model then. I have the BM in hand. Just need the mag to pair with it. Thanks for putting these products out there!

Really wish a belted flush mag would be developed as well as the XM DBM & Mags. And yes, I've seen Hawkins say belted will feed better in a BDL but I've been running 300wm in AccurateMag AICS 3.850 mags with APA RTG DBM flawlessly for years. Just wish they were flush.