• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Hazmat rant...

Ultraman550

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Utah
So what in THE FUCK do they charge for? I just got a package of primers dropped off by UPS, box was covered in stickers, hazardous materials everywhere and inside the box was the box of primers and some crumpled up brown paper as padding? I've been sent socks on Christmas that were more heavily padded. Does anybody know what that $27.50 goes to? Primers were shipped right from the store I ordered (Powder Valley- bout a 4 week wait if anybody wants to know) so it's not like some guy in a white lab coat carefully wrapped them in radiation sensitive diamond crusted bubble wrap. Seriously, what the f'k is the charge for?

Re: Hazmat rant...

Red tape cost money therefor money in someones pocket. My guess is they don't ship hazmat stuff on an airplane other than that all my shit from powder valley looks like any other package.

LOL, I feel your frustration. Ever look at your cable, PG&E, phone, water, garbage bills and see all those nifty little additional "fees"? Also frustrating, are the "fees" attached to new vehicle and home purchases.

Most people can't explain them...makes me think that they are additional padding for the bottom line.

Tax on shooters.

On an even more ridiculous note... a vehicle crash involving a milk truck up here (ie. tanker truck) that spills milk... now requires a complete hazmat response and HAZMAT SOP for LE, fire and rescue.

Why? Because milk has OIL in it (butterfat) and so is considered a hazardous waste material if spilled. Suits, exclusion zones, clean-up, remediation, big $$$, etc.

For milk. Clean, wholesome fresh-from-the-cows.... milk.

Can't make this %$#@ up. Just wake up in the morning and that's the world we live in.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sirhr,

I cannot even BEGIN to express my disgust and revulsion at your above post. I'm not saying that you're wrong.

I'm saying that 'it' is wrong, on about eleventeen different levels. Who's the rocket-surgeon who signed their name to that drivel. THAT person should be drummed out of office and committed.

At what point do 'people' start standing up for reality, and logic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sirhr,

I cannot even BEGIN to express my disgust and revulsion at your above post. I'm not saying that you're wrong.

I'm saying that 'it' is wrong, on about eleventeen different levels. Who's the rocket-surgeon who signed their name to that drivel. THAT person should be drummed out of office and committed.

At what point do 'people' start standing up for reality, and logic?</div></div>

If you want even more ridiculous... I had to do an 8 hour shift a couple of years ago guarding a cheese-shop from anti-cheese activists.

This anti-cheese sect was angry about the creameries using whey on farm fields for fertilizer.... so, naturally, a small group of anti-cheese activists (again can't make this stuff up) threatened the creamery outlet store and had to have a TRO to keep them off the grounds.

Your tax dollars at work (actually, Sean, not yours... since you are Canuckian ;-)

If they subscribed to logic... why would packages of nuts have a label that says "May contain nuts."

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy6uLfermPU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy6uLfermPU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Once upon a time... it was funny. Now it's reality ^^^.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The Safety Nazis, I call them. A few years ago, I pulled up to a NYC DEP Sewage Plant to supervise some electrical work. I see the DEP Hazmat truck and three men in space suits over by the 30,000 gal propane tank. Holy crap! Get my binocs out, see that they're just cleaning up the driveway. So I go over, and find that the tanker truck spilled about a quart of hydraulic oil when pumping propane into the tank. Three guys, a bushel of kitty litter, and probably overtime for showing up before 7:30 AM! PS: If a fluorescent bulb breaks in the office, we are supposed to lock down the office, and call Hazmat. Bite me!!

I think we are charged haz-mat fees simply because the UPS people thought they could get away with it. If they shipped the haz-mat items in special trucks, or it was only handled by specially trained haz-mat crews, then I might buy off on it. But as it is, a simple "caution" or "fragile" sticker would suffice.

Any one who decides it is OK to abuse my package by crushing, or burning it is entitled to whatever surprise they receive. Even if that surprise is only some stinky cheese burning.

Unknown:

Just a guess... but UPS, Fedex, etc. are in the profit business... And to make a profit, they also have to price competitively, not simply charge more.

I'd bet that the hazmat fee comes from requirements for interstate shipping; using over-the-road trucking; paperwork for 'explosives'; having to mark trucks that carry primers; special forms on the BoL and that have to follow the shipment; and myriad other regulations that the shipper has to comply with. There may not be 'charged' tax per-se, but the regulations would require the shipper to do so much onorous extra work and paperwork and tracking that the fee was necessary to send those types of packages at a profit.

If one wanted to hit shooters in the pocketbook and continue the Chinese Water Torture of regulation and cost-increase aimed at eroding use and enjoyment of firearms... those regulations would be designed to add to the cost and hassle of anything that goes boom.

Best case for the regulators, if what I am describing is their goal, is to ultimately make things SO difficult for the shippers that they just say 'primers aren't worth the hassle.' "Powder isn't worth the hassle." "Ammo isn't worth the hassle." "Shipping firearms to stores or legal buyers isn't..." You get the idea.

Left up to themselves, maybe a fee could be assessed by a private entity like UPS or Fedex. But more likely as soon as they did that, they would find themselves price-uncompetitive vs. a shipper who said "no fee" and got all the business.

IMHO... There is no greedy company here. And if my guesses are correct, we should all be thanking UPS for not dropping shipments of weapons, primers, powder, etc.

Of course, I may be all wrong here..

Cheers,

Sirhr

I orderered some ammo from a company online, I ordered 7 boxes . Shipping was 12.00 total. That seems just like a regular shipping fee to me , without the hazmat fee

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/749iU2Zv1kw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/749iU2Zv1kw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Actually this guy lost his job at Samsonite back in the 80s and took a job with UPS. Due to this they decided better safe than sorry when dealing with things that shouldn't be bumped around too much. Actually him and many of his family now work at UPS and I have recieved some of the packages they have handled.

My real not funny, honest answer. SIN TAX.

How about this one, the thermometer didnt even break. . .they called a hazmat team. . to remove a perfectly usable, stick in your mouth for a full minute. . .. thermometer.
school lockdown

We have been being screwed under the name of safety since they passed the laws against the full automatic guns to today where they pass laws that we can drill for oil in our own country. Get your ass out there and vote these people out of office. That is the only way to stop this crap.

Oh yeah it's true, doesn't stop our milk truck driver from dumping a few hundred on the ground when the truck's full.

They also don't let us spread cow shit on the ground when it's froze (Dec 15 - Apr 15) cause it will run off in to the water sources. For those of you not familiar with large quantities of feces...if the ground is froze...so be the feces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushwacker36</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I orderered some ammo from a company online, I ordered 7 boxes . Shipping was 12.00 total. That seems just like a regular shipping fee to me , without the hazmat fee </div></div>
Loaded ammo is not subject to Haz Mat fees.

Hazmat regs never made sense to me. When I had an explosive driver cert in the military, there was a lot of stuff that didnt make sense. Take the restrictions on transporting ammo and explosives together. If I only had one truck and needed to transport a sealed case of hand grenades and one case if 5.56 ball ammo, I would have to make two trips. But if I opened up the cases and handed the ammo out to the guys and they loaded it into mags and pouches on their gear, they could then climb into the truck and I could drive them together.

Seemed ridiculous to me.

I can't recall ever seeing a UPS truck with HAZMAT placards, just like I can never recall seeing a Wal-Mart truck with one either.

Know why? There is a minimum amount that these companies need before they are required to put placards noting that they are carrying hazardous materials. There are a lot of companies that do this, with Wal-Mart being the one of the most notorious. There is a LOT of shit that shouldn't be mixed together in the backs of these trucks, and they aren't labeled, because everything falls below a "minimum" amount.

Now my opinion is that all of these companies have had ample time to do some cost analysis on how much they would need to ship something and make a profit.

Consider this story that I had about myself and another member shipping the same item by different carriers. I pick FedEx(My Post Office closed for the day), and he picked USPS. I paid over 100% more than what he paid to send the item from east coast to the west coast.

Fair? Hell no, but this is the type of cost assessment that you can expect for dealing with a global spanning company. They have hired, full time, people just to find ways to save them money so they can keep growing, and profiting.

The OP says $27.50 is what he paid in HAZMAT fees.

Go to the USPS and find out how much their fees are. Don't expect to be happy with the results when comparing the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unknown:
I'd bet that the hazmat fee comes from requirements for interstate shipping; using over-the-road trucking; paperwork for 'explosives'; having to mark trucks that carry primers; special forms on the BoL and that have to follow the shipment; and myriad other regulations that the shipper has to comply with. There may not be 'charged' tax per-se, but the regulations would require the shipper to do so much onorous extra work and paperwork and tracking that the fee was necessary to send those types of packages at a profit. </div></div>

Bingo!

United States Department of Transportation.

Tons of laws that everyone has to abide by. In the FD, if it says Fire Department on the side of it anywhere, and has warning lights and sirens it must carry a US DOT Emergency Response Guidebook. Who's going to enforce that we carry it? Don't know, but we do it. I suspect there is labor, documentation, and most likely fees that freight companies must pay to hual Haz-Mat. But I can't say for sure. I show up when the shit hits the fan and their business dealings is not my area.

But I will say this, as a Firefighter/ Paramedic/ Haz-Mat Tech the worst chemical and/ or types of chemicals, I can encounter, is the unknown. Yes the truck might not be placarded but the driver will have a shipping manifest to tell us that there is a flammable solid, an oxydizer, an explosive, class A fuel, ect. ect. all in the same truck but at minimum quantities. Minimum quantities or not they can mix and make for some really bad shit!

For you military vets how many ounces of C-4 is a dangerous amount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't recall ever seeing a UPS truck with HAZMAT placards, just like I can never recall seeing a Wal-Mart truck with one either.

Know why? There is a minimum amount that these companies need before they are required to put placards noting that they are carrying hazardous materials. There are a lot of companies that do this, with Wal-Mart being the one of the most notorious. There is a LOT of shit that shouldn't be mixed together in the backs of these trucks, and they aren't labeled, because everything falls below a "minimum" amount.

Now my opinion is that all of these companies have had ample time to do some cost analysis on how much they would need to ship something and make a profit.

Consider this story that I had about myself and another member shipping the same item by different carriers. I pick FedEx(My Post Office closed for the day), and he picked USPS. I paid over 100% more than what he paid to send the item from east coast to the west coast.

Fair? Hell no, but this is the type of cost assessment that you can expect for dealing with a global spanning company. They have hired, full time, people just to find ways to save them money so they can keep growing, and profiting.

The OP says $27.50 is what he paid in HAZMAT fees.

Go to the USPS and find out how much their fees are. Don't expect to be happy with the results when comparing the two.</div></div>

USPS ships HAZMAT? I don't think so. Their "fees" might be something like 10 years and $100,000 for each shipment. No thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you military vets how many ounces of C-4 is a dangerous amount? </div></div>

Well, if I'm going off my asshole pucker factor every time I was around it, I would say any amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
USPS ships HAZMAT? I don't think so. Their "fees" might be something like 10 years and $100,000 for each shipment. No thanks. </div></div>

They can't ship ammunition, or explosives, according to their website, which is odd because they're a federal agency, and UPS is a commercial business. When I say odd I mean it's sounds fucking stupid.

They can however ship other hazmat items. My local office has a big poster full of the hazmat identification symbols, as well as what they can and can't ship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you military vets how many ounces of C-4 is a dangerous amount? </div></div>

Well, if I'm going off my asshole pucker factor every time I was around it, I would say any amount. </div></div>

Made my point for me.

Think of it in my perspective. I've got a tractor trailer van style on fire with flammable solid, oxydizers, and class A fuel (paper, plastic, wood, ect.) It is on fire on a major interstate. Any amount of those materials will make me pucker.

The worst one that comes to mind in my city was a 53' van tractor trailer full of window AC units. The fire originated in the tractor and spread to the trailer. You know what freon turns into when it burns? Phosgene. One breath and immediate death. Yeah pucker factor.

Actually wouldn't C4 be one of the "safest" explosives to transport? I watched a Mythbusters episode where they shot it, smashed it with a hammer, and set it on fire. Nothing. That shit seems to be pretty "un-fuckupable" without the proper detonators.

I know it's been posted before and it only applies to loaded ammunition, but this video is very informative on the hazards of ammo and fire.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SlOXowwC4c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3SlOXowwC4c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually wouldn't C4 be one of the "safest" explosives to transport? I watched a Mythbusters episode where they shot it, smashed it with a hammer, and set it on fire. Nothing. That shit seems to be pretty "un-fuckupable" without the proper detonators. </div></div>

C4, on it's own, is stable. hit it with a hammer? sure. Light it on fire? sure. Combination? you just lost your hand.

C4 burns, and as far as I recall, it's not very easy to put out. But you combine some of the other stuff that the military uses, and you could have a huge pucker factor. Now Ammo convoys have very strict guidelines on how to transport various sets of ammunition, but that may or may not transfer over to the civilian sector.

in regards to the firefighter's job, over half of Army (my knowledge base) ammunition fires we will not fight.