• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hazmat, Shipping, Sales Tax charges online

Senor_Barney

Play stupid games, Win stupid prizes
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 25, 2020
    Northern California
    For those that are forced to source our reloading supplies through online retailers we have three items:

- Shipping
    - Hazmat (powder and primers)
    - Charges Sales Tax (yes or no)

I know it changes often, but for those buying this way longer than I have...curious if anybody has compiled a matrix with the $$$ for each of these across the main sites such as those below:

- Powder Valley
    - Midsouth
    - Natchez
    - Grafs
    - Brunos
    - Blue Collar
    - Creedmoor sports
    - Precision Reloading
    - Driftersgear
    - Midway (🤢)
    - Brownells
    - Any others?

Just another fee to milk the customer out of more money.

I can buy thousand of loaded ammunition or lithium battery or similar hazardous stuff without paying a hazmat fee.

It just has to be ground shipping.

For those that are forced to source our reloading supplies through online retailers we have three items:

- Shipping

I know it changes often, but for those buying this way longer than I have...curious if anybody has compiled a matrix with the $$$ for each of these across the main sites such as those below:

- Powder Valley
    - Midsouth
    - Natchez
    - Grafs
    - Brunos
    - Blue Collar
    - Creedmoor sports
    - Precision Reloading
    - Driftersgear
    - Midway (🤢)
    - Brownells
    - Any others?
    It's not like in the "old days" when most of the stores you listed all had the same product in stock , and one could compare shop. Today , it's who has what you want / need and a lot of times they are the only ones having what you want / need.
    Your best bet to find out what the total cost TYD would be to pick one or two powders that several of the stores have listed, put 5 or 6 1# can's in your "cart" and see what your final cost will be.
    A note; Grafs, has a fixed / flat rate for shipping, BUT they seam to be on the end of the supply chain as far as getting powders in stock.

- Shipping

- Powder Valley
    - Midsouth
    - Natchez
    - Grafs
    - Brunos
    - Blue Collar
    - Creedmoor sports
    - Precision Reloading
    - Driftersgear
    - Midway (🤢)
    - Brownells
    - Any others?
    Blue Collar reloading doesn’t ship anything that would need a hazmat certification.

Also, like somebody else said, if you need a particular powder or primer and its in stock, buy it (assuming none of those add-on charges are stupidly high).

Blue collar doesn’t sell primers or powder online so they wouldn’t charge hazmat. They do however charge tax and shipping if memory is correct

When you get involved with shipping HAZ and explosives, during the education/training they make sure to include a section in the curriculum for the penalties for violations. Just food for thought.....

1663971453874.png

Blue collar doesn’t sell primers or powder online so they wouldn’t charge hazmat. They do however charge tax and shipping if memory is correct
    None of my orders from Blue Collar had tax collected. Their shipping charges are also reasonable. Its why i prefer to shop with them vs many others.

Reactions: Shoots 700's
    I compared Hazmat and Shipping costs for an 8lb jug of Hodgdon powder shipped to California from wherever and whether the retailer collects sales tax. Rrates will likely be different based on your own shipping address, but the comparison will be the same. Not all retailers sell powders.

For the rest, I compared the Shipping costs for a box of 500 count bullets also shipped to California and the sales tax policy.

Results are below...

8 Pounds of Hodgdon Power
    Precision Reloading

• Hazmat $37.50
    • Shipping $15.85 Shipping
    • No Sales Tax

1663971495905.png

Natchezss
    • Hazmat $19.99
    • Shipping $17.95
    • No Sales Tax

1663971355476.png

Midsouth:
    • Hazmat $19.99
    • Shipping $13 very reasonable
    • Collects Sales Tax
    1663971242160.png

Grafs
    • Hazmat $23.50
    • Flat Rate Shipping $12.95
    • Collects Sales Tax

1663971679470.png

Powder Valley
    • Hazmat $19.95
    • Shipping $19.95
    • Collects Sales Tax (this seems like a recent change as of Sept 2022)
    1663972031459.png

Midway
    • Hazmat $19.95
    • Shipping $16.10
    • Collects Sales Tax

1663972181138.png

Brownells
    • Hazmat: $25.00
    • Shipping: $12.50
    • Collects Sales Tax

1663972367644.png

500 Count box of Bullets