• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How, exactly, is anyone getting powder? Serious question.

I believe H4350 is manufactured in Australia. With their current draconian lockdown situation, I’d speculate increased scarcity for some time

Reactions: Wisconsinner
Ryan, what powders are you looking for? In the last 6 months, I have gotten powders from most of the places in your list, but timing is everything, nothing stays in stock long.
I have a few 1k boxes of primers and enough 140 hybrids to last half-life of my barrel.

Looking for H4350.

Down to just two 1# jugs and will be through that by end of September so long as I continue rationing.

I'd love to just put in a back order with any retailer and have them ship something to me in the weeks or months ahead when it comes in stock.

But I have a day job where I can't sit in front of the computer at all hours of the day with my credit card, unfortunately.

☝🏽i joined this discord.

(Looks like the transcript of a crowded bar)

Do I have this correct, I would get a push notification or see in the discussion anytime other members of the channel post about powder availability?

Gun show had lots today
There’s was a gun show here. I don’t suppprt those pricks. 9/10? If they had anything? There’s be a premium on it. Last few I went to? All they sold were guns with barely ANY ammo at all.

could always try the time warp it's not going to help but it is fun to do .

• Love
Reactions: Dogtown
This thread / topic has just described what I call "The Sprinkling" of commodities. Many are basically saying "No problem to get powder"... The Minority are saying "I can't find it online or in my AO"... When a supplier post they have powder and it's sold out (online) in 10 minutes that is a problem for the working man. When they leave the jobsite at 5 pm and get to the retailer it's "SOLD OUT"....

It's just a matter of time before we can scratch out the word powder and substitute the word food. The kid unloading the produce truck at the grocery store will get some food before the guy stopping in after work...

I hope I am wrong.

☝🏽i joined this discord.

Do I have this correct, I would get a push notification or see in the discussion anytime other members of the channel post about powder availability?
yep there is a notification ( i made my notification sound the loudest most obnoxious thing I could). The notification will have a link taking you directly to the promised land. But you gotta be quick.

By the way power valley has various powders in stock as we speak...staball h335 and various others

My local Scheels (Overland Park) has been getting more in stock. I just picked up an 8lb jug of Win 760 last weekend. Good prices there, as always.

I grabbed 25k+ primers, 40lbs of H4350 and 10+ of varget during late Obama and mid-term Trump. I learned to use other low-demand or older tech powders for plinking/practice/hunting. More dry-fire practice, etc...

Only thing I didn't anticipate, and my own fault for venturing into new calibers, is now I'm in need of 6mm match bullets and there are very few available.
I am in Wisconsin. Scheels stores is sitting heavy on Hornady 6mm ELDs (I believe) they also have a mountain of .30 cal 168 smks

Brownells has some powder too
Anyone know WTF this $19.95 "Shipping Restriction Charge" is that Brownells tacks onto an order?

I've never seen that before, but I've only ever bought ammo from them. Is this because I live in CA there is a restriction charge?

Maybe that's what they are calling the hazmat fee?

i began stockpiling before the first Obozo election. I knew this was coming, I just didn't know when. I bought powder in 8# jugs and sleeves of 5K primers. At this time, I'm good with around 65K of primers and around 65# of powders.

Anyone know WTF this $19.95 "Shipping Restriction Charge" is that Brownells tacks onto an order?

I've never seen that before, but I've only ever bought ammo from them. Is this because I live in CA there is a restriction charge?
Weird, I’ve never had a restriction charge when ordering from midsouth and others. I hope this is not something new. I live in CA also.

If you read on their website, it's just the hazmat fee.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
☝🏽i joined this discord.

Yes.

You do have to go in and manually select the notifications you want within the discord server though. Some people miss that step and wonder why nothing happens.

I had a metrickfuckton of components last year. I'm still deep on the jugs of powder, but now I am starting to run low on primers. I only have a few boxes of each kind and I'm totally out of #41s. This is a problem, as while I don't really hoard ammo or watch how much I have, I do hoard components and shoot as much as I want. I am not going to be able to shoot as much as I want with only a couple thousand primers on hand.

I'm at the point of concern now. This shit has got to break at some point.

I had a metrickfuckton of components last year. I'm still deep on the jugs of powder, but now I am starting to run low on primers. I only have a few boxes of each kind and I'm totally out of #41s. This is a problem, as while I don't really hoard ammo or watch how much I have, I do hoard components and shoot as much as I want. I am not going to be able to shoot as much as I want with only a couple thousand primers on hand.

I'm at the point of concern now. This shit has got to break at some point.
This shit has got to break at some point.

OK, I'll bite......... What do you see in the future that will make this (and other commodities) "break".... ? Seriously

If you read on their website, it's just the hazmat fee.

Never bought powder on-line, so just got woke to this hazmat fee. Wow.

Just thinking out loud here, but that $20 Hazmat fee doesn't go very far if we're limited to just two pounds of powder versus buying 8 or 10 pounds...

I was at bass pro last weekend and asked about primers. The guy said they had 4 boxes of large rifle in the morning and to check with the guy in the binocular section if still available. Wasn't too interested in lrp but said what the heck go over and the guy says no lrf all we have is these benchrest srp.....CCCCCHHHHAAAAACHHIIINNNNGGGGG..... so being a selfish dick I bought the one box limit and had my buddy that was with me buy a second box. Had lunch at the restaurant and went back and bought the last box. I feel bad typing that .....

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

Just thinking out loud here, but that $20 Hazmat fee doesn't go very far if we're limited to just two pounds of powder versus buying 8 or 10 pounds...
Yes indeed that's the problem if you can bundle and say get 2 pounds of 4 or 5 different powders it makes it go down better. Even at 2 pounds you are basically paying 10 bucks more a pound so from 35 it's 45 which is what lgs are selling it for if you can find it.

This shit has got to break at some point.

OK, I'll bite......... What do you see in the future that will make this (and other commodities) "break".... ? Seriously
Ok
tenor.gif

Primers and powder will never be available again, because every time there is a run on components or a major disruption they just plumb stop producing them! It's has happened every time in the past. Nothing has been available for ten years, so there's no use in counting on anything ever being available again!

Maybe you're 20 years old and have never seen this before in your shooting life, but I've seen this thing go up and down, and when it's up and everything is in stock I buy the shit out of everything, which is why my "low" on primers is 12,000 or so. When it's down like this is do not pay gouging and speculating prices from ammo predators. I have enough to get me by. Supply/demand disruptions.

Anyone remember when the big plant burned and suddenly there was a run on powder? I guess that run never ended either.

You must be converting everything you own into ammo since they're never going to make any more or ever catch up to demand...

Thats why I tend to stick to Powder Valley... No tax, and 5lb limits on singles. I will combine as much as I can to spread that hazmat fee down. PV now has a cart timer which can greatly improve your odds.

Ok
tenor.gif

Primers and powder will never be available again, because every time there is a run on components or a major disruption they just plumb stop producing them! It's has happened every time in the past. Nothing has been available for ten years, so there's no use in counting on anything ever being available again!

Maybe you're 20 years old and have never seen this before in your shooting life, but I've seen this thing go up and down, and when it's up and everything is in stock I buy the shit out of everything, which is why my "low" on primers is 12,000 or so. When it's down like this is do not pay gouging and speculating prices from ammo predators. I have enough to get me by. Supply/demand disruptions.

Anyone remember when the big plant burned and suddenly there was a run on powder? I guess that run never ended either.

You must be converting everything you own into ammo since they're never going to make any more or ever catch up to demand...
This ☝️
100%

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Hard telling about Commiefornia but Sheel's here had plenty of powder on the shelves, Good luck with your search.
Hhardrock

Reloading discord always posts links to powder, primers etc… it’s how I picked up a decent amount the past 6 months, I avoid Midway like the plague tho, been screwed over on several orders from them.

Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foot traffic has died at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

Thanks! Ill get off my soap box.
I've gotten Varget, H4350, Shooter's World Precision Rifle and Vihtavuori N140, all by doing a very annoying thing - I keep tabs open in my browser to many of the sites you listed, on the detail page for each powder I'm interested in, and I go back and refresh them every 30 minutes or so while I'm working on my computer. Once in a while an angel smiles on me and when I refresh, it comes up in stock. My pulse rate and BP go up, I grab my wallet, and place the order immediately, and that's been successful for me. I'm still trying for N150 and primers - I've never seen primers come up, though. Anyway, it works if you're willing to work it, but it's pretty labor-intensive.

What are you seeing for primer prices from legit companies? I have seen Brownells and similarly reputable sites running for $70ish per 1000 from a few sites. Is that the new norm?

Thanks to whoever our first mentioned the reloading discord!!!

Pretty cool way to keep posted of all the big online retailers!

Anyone know the entire comprehensive list of places those guys track?

Looks like you'll have all the big ones covered but I'm wondering if I should still rely for off the beaten path places like a red river reloading (for example). Or those small local ones?

Ordered 2- 1.350 shank barrels for some barrel burners,,,,,i will report back in a year or 2 haha.

What are you seeing for primer prices from legit companies? I have seen Brownells and similarly reputable sites running for $70ish per 1000 from a few sites. Is that the new norm?
Yes that seems to be what they are going for locally as well.

Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foot traffic has died at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

Natchez shooters supply has powder on their site today, you never mentioned what you’re looking for

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

Fortunately I'm an hour from Graph and Son's and I call the store and have them hold if in stock and the store always keeps a small portion even when the online store is out. Last week I got 2 lbs of IMR 8208 xbr and 2 lbs of Varget and H4350. Also got CCI 450 primers.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

I live in socal and I've been mostly sourcing powder on calguns.net. Other than that I picked up a few pounds at sportsman's warehouse and at reloading everything.com but that's was several months ago. I haven't seen much since then, if I do get a notification from a retailer it's usually gone pretty quick. Midsouthshooterssupply.com has a few in stock at the moment.

Reactions: SERE8541
Not sure if this has already been posted
But..
check ammoseek every day 4-5 times a day, especially Monday -Friday
Every powder I have been looking for has come up but it only stays listed for a Short time (minutes to hrs)
The Exception is Varget
Also occasionally gunbroker has reasonable prices

Pro tip....stock up on supplies before a democrat gets into office.
Problem is we didn’t expect them to cheat.
It was hard times for the gun industry when Trump got elected because they ramped up expecting Hillary to win and there was a glut of guns and ammo. This time everyone expected Trump to win and most got caught with their pants down.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

I have bought pounds and pounds from powder Valley and hodgdon websites. Be diligent and check often. When powder Valley says check back in 15 min, check back! You'll get some. Trust me. I'm lucky tho, I work on computers so...

I got 3k primers this week 2k from midway and the other 1k from brownells

Keep shopping. Stop by your local stores and shop online. Get the word out to some friends that shoot about what you are looking for. Network a little.

I've done a ton of trading the last year and a half to get what I need. Small pistol primers for BR4s, TAC powder for Varget, etc. Monday I am trading a guy 1K Federal SP Magnum for LR Match primers. He's looking for H110 and another friend knew of some down at a small shop across town.

I grabbed 25k+ primers, 40lbs of H4350 and 10+ of varget during late Obama and mid-term Trump. I learned to use other low-demand or older tech powders for plinking/practice/hunting. More dry-fire practice, etc...

Only thing I didn't anticipate, and my own fault for venturing into new calibers, is now I'm in need of 6mm match bullets and there are very few available.
Pretty much this for me as well. During 2018-19, there were sales going on and I bought a lot of primers and powder. I wish I had bought more but still should have enough to get the through the end of 2022.

Natchez shooters supply has powder on their site today, you never mentioned what you’re looking for
H4350 is the only powder I've tried since the guy that first got me into it used it. If I knew what else I could use for 6cm or 6.5cm I would be open to switching due to availability issues alone.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

I've had several emails from Midway alerting me some Varget is in........ALWAYS gone long before I can call in.

I would say this is how Gov is going to shut us down, but then some cartridges are returning to stock, slowly.

Betcha the government's got ALL IT WANTS.

H4350 is the only powder I've tried since the guy that first got me into it used it. If I knew what else I could use for 6cm or 6.5cm I would be open to switching due to availability issues alone.
There are a lot of good powders out there, not just H4350. RL 16- N555-N550 are just a few that I have used and have found locally. Grab a reloading book or view the 6-6.5 creed thread and see what works for other folks.

Reactions: Senor_Barney