• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How, exactly, is anyone getting powder? Serious question.

I just stopped shooting. Back to plinking for fun. I shot 8 PRS matches last year plus several regionals. This year I've shot 0. Can't justify wasting that much ammo and money when shit is scarce. I have friends though that have still shot 30+ matches already! I don't know if they just don't care or are unaware how bad it is or may become. He is always finding ways and making deals, friends of friends, I know a guy who knows a guy, etc. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foot traffic has died at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

Thanks! Ill get off my soap box.
hang in there primers and powder are starting to show up. one gun store in IL wanted $189 per 1K primers last month now $89 per 1K , other gun shop had 200 K and was selling at list $60 for 1 K of primers (3 K limit, picked up for shooting buddy)till sold out. in the future you have to purchase your supplies 1-2 years out and restock when supplies are down to half . due to hazmat fees plan your purchases . 4- 8 LB jugs of powder split it friends, same with primers. lots of price gouging on gun broker , don't support them , it is a boom or bust business, when supplies catch up and prices are right stockpile

Reactions: DIBBS and culater
Powder Valley has primers and some Vit powders right now. Use the cart timer to your advantage and get those orders in.

• Love
Reactions: slowworm
Powder has been coming more available now just have to have a watchful eye and add notify me everywhere. But the main problem now is primers like fed 215 those are hard to find at least for me

Well PV is cheaper than Midway. Maybe some good old competition will start bringing the prices down.

You just have to look...often.

H4350 at Ballistic Products currently available. Four lbs limit/month. Not cheap but not GB either.

I was just on Hodgdon web site and they had some powders in stock but you have to watch everyday till you see what you want.

Can someone explain like I'm five how anybody at all is getting powder these days?

Given no online retailers, or any brick-and-mortar shop within 300 miles of me in Northern California, seems to ever have powder for sale you would think that there should be zero shooting for any of us.

And yet, my local range is still having weekend steel competitions...still holding the long range practices, and doesnt seem like foot traffic has died at all.

Ive not been able to back order anything, it seems. Plus, we are all on the same "notify me when in stock" lists at the same places. For which I've gotten zero notifications.

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

It seems to me that you have to know someone to get some powder "held in back" or something else entirely. Fluke perhaps?

Not trying to piss anybody off or open a can of worms but just looking for some helpful advice from those that went through thia back in the 2012-2014 time frame what I can/should be doing that does NOT involve dropping my pants and bending over on gunbroker.

I check those sites 2-3 times a day and have alerts set to let me know when something comes in. It took me a couple months but ive been able to get the powder I’ve needed. Ive even been able to pick up primers at midway and brownells (over-prices but it’s a seller’s market). Just set some daily alarms and have the websites open on your phone so all you have to do is refresh the page.
BUT I caution you, don’t mess around on the page after you put powder in your cart. Add it to your cart and immediately check out. Go back if you want to look for something else. You can usually call them to combine orders later.

I got burned during the Obama years and have maintained some stock but was seriously worried about large riflr primers earlier this year. Convinced a freien at my range to sell me a thousand. Then learned because my Creed is bolt action I could shoot small pistol primers safely.

H4350 at Ballistic Products currently available. Four lbs limit/month. Not cheap but not GB either.

Aaaaand, it’s long gone now. Glad I got four lbs earlier today.

F Bomb! 😲

Bummer the reloading discord didnt pick up that deal. Hopefully I catch it next time

Reactions: Baron23

How, exactly, is anyone getting powder? Serious question​

Just an opinion:

There is a tremendous shortage of powder. If there were no shortage then a buyer would not be limited to a certain amount. Scan any manufacturer's website and look at the number of "Not Available" notices and the "Notify when in stock". It will not take very much to eliminate what little supply there is available. Those (above) that have procured powder are similar to the guy's who bag the trophy Buck or land the record breaking fish. I know elk hunters who "hunt" 365 days a year. No, they do not harvest year round. They harvest once or twice a year... They may work in the logging industry or even work as a Marine Biologist or a Game Warden and are out there every day. I see fishing guides on the Bitterroot River 365 days a year. No, they do not have clients every day but, in their mind they are "fishing" every day. So... the occasional powder buyer is up against those who's thrill is "in the chase"... Or who are doing it as a sideline to make a few $$$.

Eventually we will see the same thing in the food supply chain.

Pay attention

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

This link is for "in-stock" smokeless powder on Midsouth

MSS
Grafs
Precision Reloading
Brownells
Powder Valley
scheels
Midway
Sharpshooter
Selway
Hodgdon direct

AND THEY HAVE 22 POWDERS IN STOCK RIGHT NOW (1155 CST FRIDAY)

How, exactly, is anyone getting powder? Serious question​

Just an opinion:

There is a tremendous shortage of powder. If there were no shortage then a buyer would not be limited to a certain amount. Scan any manufacturer's website and look at the number of "Not Available" notices and the "Notify when in stock". It will not take very much to eliminate what little supply there is available. Those (above) that have procured powder are similar to the guy's who bag the trophy Buck or land the record breaking fish. I know elk hunters who "hunt" 365 days a year. No, they do not harvest year round. They harvest once or twice a year... They may work in the logging industry or even work as a Marine Biologist or a Game Warden and are out there every day. I see fishing guides on the Bitterroot River 365 days a year. No, they do not have clients every day but, in their mind they are "fishing" every day. So... the occasional powder buyer is up against those who's thrill is "in the chase"... Or who are doing it as a sideline to make a few $$$.

Eventually we will see the same thing in the food supply chain.

Pay attention
huh?

(and purchase limits are used to deter hoarders/resellers, not because there's less supply)

I've picked up 40lbs of various powders during this, just have to watch the sites regularly, be logged in and have your CC info ready to go.

I need me some Varget... haven't seen it offered in months...

I know many people hate Gunjoker...

...but on the last 90 days I've scored 8lbs IMR-4955 ($225), 8lbs Magpro ($240), and 8lbs Hybrid 100V ($235).

Of course, you need to add ~$50 for shipping to each of these.

I was fortunate to have an ample supply of everything that I needed for my pre-COVID guns...but my dumb ass went and bought a 7mm RM and 6.5 CM since.

One thing I notice is that a lot of folks are absolutely unwilling to compromise or improvise. You can get a burn rate chart and make a lot of powders work in a pinch. Might not be optimized but it will keep you shooting.

One thing I notice is that a lot of folks are absolutely unwilling to compromise or improvise. You can get a burn rate chart and make a lot of powders work in a pinch. Might not be optimized but it will keep you shooting.
.... and so goes America.
That is just human nature... Like the guy who has driven Chevy pickup's for 50 years and the purchasing agent for his company buy's what ever he can get his hands on... May be a Toyota, Ford or Dodge... Being forced to adapt can be frustrating.

I sold off my 308AR (was nice) to finance the 6.5CM build.

I never shot the 308, and loaded very little for it. I have like 7# left of varget that I had bought as "the" powder for 308. As the 2012 shortage was starting I couldn't find another varget so I bought a 8# jug of 2000mr. So now I have about 7# of each.

I was able to get 250pcs of starline and 400 140gr Hornady bthp pretty quick and at no worse than retail. That with primers I already have and the 2000mr allowed me to get right into shooting the new stick. I think the best load was actually the lightest but I figure I'm "fire forming" my brass.

Now I got decent supply of Staball6.5 so I'm sitting pretty good. Just gotta get the 2000mr out of those loaded rounds... (the old fashioned way of course!)

Took this picture and after strolling into a mom and pop gun store an hour from my house. This was two weeks ago. Needless to say my jaw hit the floor.

39084DD6-E6EF-455A-85C6-27164609FC58.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: acudaowner
What did the signs taped to the shelves say? What were the prices like, and what did you buy?

The prices on powders what they’re supposed to be….. like $240 for 8lbs H4350
Primers were a little expense @ $80 1,000ct

They did have a limit on things but it was reasonable.

Then the strangest thing happened

A woman who looked exactly like my wife came in as I was checking out and bought all the same stuff I bought. Coincidence?

The prices on powders what they’re supposed to be….. like $240 for 8lbs H4350
Primers were a little expense @ $80 1,000ct

They did have a limit on things but it was reasonable.

Then the strangest thing happened

A woman who looked exactly like my wife came in as I was checking out and bought all the same stuff I bought. Coincidence?
She's a keeper(y)

Managed to score 2 pounds of Retumbo today... $46/lb. seemed a tad steep... But I hadn't seen it in so long I went ahead and bought it.

It's slowly getting better. Now if I can just get primers and brass as readily as powder.

Mike

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Driving through Northern Nevada today, I stopped at a LGS. Decent amount of powder. I scooped up 6# StaBall. I could have bought more but didn’t want to be greedy. No primers. It might be difficult finding the exact powder we want.but there are some decent alternatives hitting the shelves.

With Hazmat fees, it only makes sense to try to buy powder like 20-40 lbs at a time via online retailers. Hogdon has killed all online retailers on the pretense this solves access at traditional retailers, but this allows online scalpers to hawk the powder at the retailers and control access, and it seems online scalpers auction all the ammo in small qtys with one hazmat fee per qty, making reloading cost as much as factory ammo. There isn’t really an outlet to do the 20-40 lb orders that minimize the hazmat fee amortization. Local stores have had empty shelves for two years now. People shouldn’t be loading based on what powder is available, they should be choosing ideal powder for a load. It is somewhat amazing that ammo is produced at all with powder and primer availability. It is also kind of amazing it doesn’t throttle firearms purchasing at a point. It seems most of the available affordable ammo is foreign. There must by import laws keeping those companies from importing powder and primers. This seems like probably the most serious issue for long term health of the firearms industry. I read about hogdon being a distributor of general dynamics. It seems politics could really play into all this. On the military side an Abrams on a firing range is using 30lbs of powder maybe in one round. There cannot be a production shortage and the ability to sustain that. Im sure that is sustained, so there is probably some heavy political force involved in this shortage. Look at my personal demand, probably 40lbs total. There is no market ability to supply it at a normal market price from any one seller though and it makes less sense to reload if you can’t compete with a factory price because your labor is part of your hidden cost. The only rifles I have that are more picky about ammo are m1 garands where people recommend lighter loads. Ppu is the only company that has a product for that.

Last edited:
With Hazmat fees, it only makes sense to try to buy powder like 20-40 lbs at a time via online retailers. Hogdon has killed all online retailers on the pretense this solves access at traditional retailers, but this allows online scalpers to hawk the powder at the retailers and control access, and it seems online scalpers auction all the ammo in small qtys with one hazmat fee per qty, making reloading cost as much as factory ammo. There isn’t really an outlet to do the 20-40 lb orders that minimize the hazmat fee amortization. Local stores have had empty shelves for two years now. People shouldn’t be loading based on what powder is available, they should be choosing ideal powder for a load. It is somewhat amazing that ammo is produced at all with powder and primer availability. It is also kind of amazing it doesn’t throttle firearms purchasing at a point. It seems most of the available affordable ammo is foreign. There must by import laws keeping those companies from importing powder and primers. This seems like probably the most serious issue for long term health of the firearms industry. I read about hogdon being a distributor of general dynamics. It seems politics could really play into all this. On the military side an Abrams on a firing range is using 30lbs of powder maybe in one round. There cannot be a production shortage and the ability to sustain that. Im sure that is sustained, so there is probably some heavy political force involved in this shortage. Look at my personal demand, probably 40lbs total. There is no market ability to supply it at a normal market price from any one seller though and it makes less sense to reload if you can’t compete with a factory price because your labor is part of your hidden cost. The only rifles I have that are more picky about ammo are m1 garands where people recommend lighter loads. Ppu is the only company that has a product for that.

I'm loading 6.5CM with 142SMK under $.80/round (amortized brass) even at today's prices. Where exactly can you even buy 142SMK 6.5CM let alone for that price? You might have a point if you're talking about loading 5.56, 7.62N, or 9mm with all new components but you're in the wrong forum for that point. Nevermind that ammunition manufacturers stopped making many small production calibers to focus on large production commodity calibers so availability is a major benefit to hand loading without even discussing cost.

Download discord and join the reloading group. They post daily so follow the instructions on how to mute all the channels besides the “in-stock-notifications” and you’ll find what you need eventually. I was able to find plenty of powder, pills and primers the last few months. They sell out fast so when you get that notification you have to jump on it. I can’t argue with prices when there is no alternative right now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: YF19EX and Im2bent
Well now Biden has eliminated the cheap Russian ammo that many of us are used to for the AR15s and AKs. The Basturd.

I was lucky personally that Obama talked me into getting stocked up pretty good, but I'm really worrying about how long the reloading shortages are going to last. I'll be ok unless SHTF.......... LET'S GO, BRANDON.

15 min updates on 10 open pages of places that sell powder , be on the right page at the right time keep checking hodgon's web page from time to time they have powder available . Id say it's a lot of luck because by the time you hear about a place having it online it's probably almost gone . primers have been the hardest thing to find I have only twice in the last year seen them for sale on any online page and they went like really fast , mostly I have had to travel to another state to get them while pricey I got the bulk of what I have that way . best of luck to you finding what you need , can use and want to pay for . if that pic above was primers on a shelf Id use it as porn material , It's still pretty sexy as powder .

Reactions: Steel head
I've been to the LGS and they have had N130, N565,N230 and others for over a month now primers are the problem for me but I've gotten some here and there

Well now Biden has eliminated the cheap Russian ammo that many of us are used to for the AR15s and AKs. The Basturd.

I was lucky personally that Obama talked me into getting stocked up pretty good, but I'm really worrying about how long the reloading shortages are going to last. I'll be ok unless SHTF.......... LET'S GO, BRANDON.
Remember the scene in "We Were Soldiers" when Col. Moore tells SgtMaj Plumley that he should look into getting himself an M16...

the SgtMaj replies, "Sir, when the time comes that I need one, there'll be plenty of them lying on the ground."

If all of this comes apart at the seams I expect there to be plenty of rifles, ammo, and mags available.

Now I'm not saying a person shouldn't prepare. But if it breaks down to fighting in the streets... You'll be able to scavenge what you need. You'll just have to clean the blood off of it first.

I'll probably get poo-pooed on for that perspective. But every internal conflict around the world pretty much confirms it. Major difference is in our case it won't be an abundance of Kalashnikovs, it'll be those "scary" black rifles.

Mike