• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Heading to Texas in September

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
I will be heading to Texas Houston in septemper and Im really keen to use some automatics, never had the chance to use any AR's cause I'm from Australia. If anyone can help me it would be super appeciated. I could probably organise a pig goat elk deer and kangaroo hunt if they ever came to Aus

Re: Heading to Texas in September

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be heading to Texas Houston in septemper and Im really keen to use some automatics, never had the chance to use any AR's cause I'm from Australia. If anyone can help me it would be super appeciated. I could probably organise a pig goat elk deer and kangaroo hunt if they ever came to Aus </div></div>

You could contact Jim Smith over at Spartan Tactical (www.spartantactical.com). I know he loves to hunt hogs and does so right on his property/training grounds. He would also be a great guy to get some training from if you were so inclined.

The man asked to shoot an AR, in RETURN he could take you on a pig goat elk deer and kangaroo hunt.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be heading to Texas Houston in September and I'm really keen to use some automatics, never had the chance to use any ARs cause I'm from Australia. If anyone can help me it would be super appreciated. I could probably organize a pig goat elk deer and kangaroo hunt if they ever came to Aus</div></div>

will you first obtain a non-resident hunting license when you get to Texas?

Oh I don't intend to hunt I have loads of free game at home that isn't regulated by tags because it's all non native species. I don't see the point in paying for hunting when I can find 80 goats 15 minutes from my house. All I wanna do is learn how to use an AR and spray a few targets with it and maybe do a long range shooting course to brush up my f class skills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh I don't intend to hunt I have loads of free game at home that isn't regulated by tags because it's all non native species. I don't see the point in paying for hunting when I can find 80 goats 15 minutes from my house. All I wanna do is learn how to use an AR and spray a few targets with it and maybe do a long range shooting course to brush up my f class skills.</div></div>

it's not about the hunting, mate; just trying to help keep you out of trouble during your visit because pursuant to federal law, non-resident aliens can only possess firearms under discrete circumstances:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#nonimmigrant-possession

<span style="font-weight: bold">Q: May nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?</span>
Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

There are exceptions to this general prohibition. The exceptions are as follows:

1. nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid (unexpired) hunting license or permit lawfully issued by a State in the United States;
[<span style="font-style: italic">18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(b) and 922(y), 27 CFR 478.124, ATF Rul. 2004-1</span>]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Q: Typically, who are “nonimmigrant aliens?”</span>
In large part, nonimmigrant aliens are persons traveling temporarily in the United States for business or pleasure, persons studying in the United States who maintain a foreign residence abroad, and certain foreign workers. Permanent resident aliens are not nonimmigrant aliens. Permanent resident aliens often are referred to as people with “green cards.”

<span style="font-weight: bold">Q: I’m a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day — can I rent a firearm there as well?</span>
As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does not have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.
[<span style="font-style: italic">18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5) and (9), 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)</span>]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza in the hunting forum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scored a ticket to america i will be in Oregon and California to visit some family friends. I will be there for the first two weeks of september <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">any chance I can go Bear Hunting </span></span>In either of these places. Its been a lifelong dream to score a bear so any local knowledge about how i could do it would be great </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigchaza</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Oh I don't intend to hunt</span></span> I have loads of free game at home that isn't regulated by tags because it's all non native species. I don't see the point in paying for hunting when I can find 80 goats 15 minutes from my house. All I wanna do is learn how to use an AR and spray a few targets with it and maybe do a long range shooting course to brush up my f class skills. </div></div>

So which one is it and exactly where are you headed, here in the US?

To wf James : Haha fair point I don't intend to hunt in texas is what I should have said. trying to hunt black bear in Oregon (just bought tags and licence!!). Basicly starting in Oregon found a hunting trip there, heading south through California and Nevada then texas and finally finishing up in Miami

so I figure a rewording is on order here now that i'm starting to get a better picture
what legal requirents do I need to do based onthe information given so that I can go to a range in Houston or Dallas and shoot an AR at said range totally legally and safely.
So I need to know firstly is it legal. whats the deal with paperwork
2nd are there places like this that an alien (I come in peace just let me use your really cool guns) can go to learn and shoot some targets
3rdly depending on the other two where would be a good place to do this

I hope I've cleared up any misunderstandings that may have occured in previous posts. And to make it clear, I don't intend to do anything illegal I'm going to be a guest in your country and should act accordingly. Also just do you understand as a citizen of the peoples republic of Australia this is about my only chance to use an AR. Anyways I hope my intentions are clearer and thanks heaps to everyone who has provided info and suggestions so far.

if you already have a valid hunting license from your bear hunting in Oregon, then it is legal for somebody in any other state to let you fire their guns, including ARs in Houston, Texas... I can gladly assist in facilitating contact with AR shooters in and around Houston for you...

I was just busting your balls. Sounds like a hell of a trip. If you were headed to Tennessee, I would tell ya to give me a holler and you could have all the trigger time you wanted on decent selection of AR's...I dont have any with a happy switch though (semi auto only).

If you are going through Nevada why don't you stop into one of the gun shops in Las Vegas that have fully auto weapons and shoot to your hearts delight or you run out of money!

Yes thankyou B Melick if you could point me in the right direction it would be really helpfull thanks heaps